Epic Mullet Run Report

Well, the mullet schools are now few and far between, but the memories of the last few months will last a lifetime! I caught many fish, set personal records, and caught fish I have never caught before. I filmed most of the fish that I caught, I hope you enjoy the report.

My first small tarpon this year. I caught him on a chunk of mullet that I kayaked out 100yds.

Photo:

50lb_tarpon_S.jpg

Video:

The same day my buddy Matt caught this nice snook:

Photo:

snook_S.jpg

Video:

We hooked another big tarpon that day and he straightened out the hook. Matt also caught another snook that was smaller than the one above. We didn't get a photo or video of the fish. The following day started great! In the morning, Matt hooked up with this beautiful tarpon:

Photo:

matts_tarpon_S-1.jpg

Video:

Later that day I hooked another tarpon. It was a big fish and I was by myself. Hurricane Irene created a huge sandbar near shore and you really had to walk out to get to deep water. I didn't walk out after the fish and I pulled the hook out of his mouth, a mistake I won't make again. The next day I caught a really nice tarpon, must have been around 70-80lbs, maybe more.

Photo:

joshs_tarpon_S.jpg

Video:

The following day I caught my biggest Tarpon ever, this fish weighed around 100lbs.

Photo:

monster_tarpon_S.jpg

Video:

The winds started to pick up and fishing became tough. The following week the waves were massive (7-8 footers), but the mullet were so thick! Sharks, tarpons, snook, jacks, bluefish, everything was smashing them. I caught a small tarpon (probably 30lbs) that day. The video came out horrible (the salts spray blurred the lens) and I didn't get a photo. We also caught snook and jacks on spoons and live mullet (no photos). About a week later, I caught my biggest snook ever, 40 inches! He fought very hard. I saw him in the surf and threw a 10" mullet at him and he slurped the mullet in like 3 seconds. It was raining when I caught the snook and a drop got on the lens, which sucks!

Photo:

40in_snook_S.jpg

Later that evening I caught this massive jack crevalle on a live mullet:

Photo:

big_jack_S_2.jpg

Later that week I caught this really nice blacktip. I wasn't fishing for sharks, but he took the bait.

Photo:

blacktip_S.jpg

Video:

I also caught this small snook on the same day with Surfrat. He left the beach an hour before I caught the shark.

Photo:

small_snook_S.jpg

I started school in Orlando at the end of September, so my fishing time became very limited. I met up with Will at Sebastian Inlet in October on two occasions. I caught my very first redfish, which was over 30".

Photo:

firstredfish_S-1.jpg

I caught a smaller redfish the following week:

Photo:

2nd_redfish_S.jpg

Will and my friend Damon caught these big reds at Sebastian as well. Over 20 redfish were caught on the pier in a matter of several hours.

Photos:

wills_red_S.jpg

DamonsRedfish-1.jpg

Video:

God Bless,
Joshua Jorgensen

Replies

• e-moneye-money Posts: 4,257 Officer
    I'd say that ranks as EPIC reporting. Cool that you have the gopro gear & follow tarpon for release.:thumbsup
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    [url]Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com[/url]
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    emoney991@outlook.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sam50sam50 Posts: 499 Officer
    bad *** man. Cool vids
  • TikoLikoTikoLiko Posts: 68 Deckhand
    That is a pretty sick report. Nice videos too. What is the other camera that is not the GoPro?
  • PaulBoatPaulBoat Posts: 4,389 Officer
    very nice pics and videos!

@TikoLiko - the other camera is a Contour I believe......
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,428 Admiral
    BlacktipHunter,

Awesome report! :thumbsup

I believe I remember your posts on the old forum catching sharks. Am I right?

Great job, great videos and welcome to the forum again! :applause

Cheers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Eric
    PLANE FISH N
    PaulBoat wrote: »

@TikeLiko - the other camera is a Contour I believe......

:signs:Agree
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • blacktip hunterblacktip hunter Posts: 51 Deckhand
    TikoLiko wrote: »
    That is a pretty sick report. Nice videos too. What is the other camera that is not the GoPro?

It's the Contour 1080 HD. It's much better than the GoPro. The best POV camera is the Contour+.
    BlacktipHunter,

Awesome report! :thumbsup

I believe I remember your posts on the old forum catching sharks. Am I right?

Great job, great videos and welcome to the forum again! :applause

Cheers

Yes sir, that was me. I also posted that huge Kingfish from shore.
    Yes sir, that was me. I also posted that huge Kingfish from shore.

Right!

I remember and loved your posts..

Keep them coming my friend.

Great Job as usual!

Cheers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • capt charliecapt charlie Posts: 142 Officer
    Great report!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Martin LocalMartin Local Posts: 557 Officer
    nice report
    MartinSig012-1-1.jpg
  • soflah3soflah3 Posts: 589 Officer
    Nice work! Congrats on making it into the Watermans Journal

http://www.thewatermansjournal.com/blog/article/-nov-dec-florida-s-epic-mullet-run
  • MuttonJeffMuttonJeff Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    You look like Napoleon Dynamite.
    soflah3 wrote: »
    Nice work! Congrats on making it into the Watermans Journal

http://www.thewatermansjournal.com/blog/article/-nov-dec-florida-s-epic-mullet-run

Wow that's great! Thank you very much for the link.
  • SnookmeisterSnookmeister Posts: 1,035 Officer
    :(............I am so jealous of your mullet run over there. However, it does make me smile to see real guys out there doin work like that, awesome man. I have watched all your videos on Youtube. You have made me start saving for a GoPro so I can show you some madness over here, lol. Here in Dunedin there are just mullet everywhere all the time so it's not all crazy like that. One of these days I am gonna get over there and do some work. I think that the mullet run should have been in that Blue Planet Documentary or Planet Earth or something. Some of that footage is the most amazing stuff I have ever seen.
    Catch 'em and Release 'em!
    http://tampaurbanangler.blogspot.com/
  • No CompetitionNo Competition Posts: 413 Officer
    Right on man! Nice fish!
    2007 31' Competition
    Yamaha 300HP 4-Stroke 4.2 liters
    Garmin and Furuno Electroincs
  • BAMFBAMF Posts: 118 Officer
    Awesome! :hail
  • DemarzacDemarzac Posts: 204 Officer
    Is that all? But seriously, outstanding report!
    "If you want to play an up-tempo, fast-skating game, we can play that game. If you want to muck and grind in the corners and along the boards, we can play that game too."-Famous Coach
  • landlubberlandlubber Posts: 313 Officer
    I can't stand you right now! Every time I fish I hope for a tarpon and you landed some gorgeous ones! Nice snook and blacktip too. I haven't even seen a snook in years.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 933 Officer
    Nice....Please explain sandbag sinkers?
  • jsbchaserjsbchaser Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    awesome
  • Reel CsReel Cs Posts: 255 Officer
    BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for sharing.
    TIGHT LINES FROM DAN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sea EraSea Era Posts: 491 Officer
    That was awesome, fantastic work

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list