TROLLING THE DITCH (inquiring minds want to know!)

2»

Replies

• grey_beardgrey_beard Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    winderbill wrote: »
    Got me there. I'm content to handline the last 25' or so. Look, I'm the first to concede that this system is not for everyone. It's basically a lazy man's way to put keeper gags in the box. The challenge lies in getting the lure in the zone and enticing a strike. Once the fish is on, it's simply a slow steady retrieve...no setting the hook and definitely NO pumping!

I'm going to try the in-line method. Will a Penn 4/0 conventional reel on a 20-50 lb. rod be sufficient?
  • winderbillwinderbill Posts: 252 Deckhand
    4/0 senator, 60lb mono, equivalent trolling rod with a roller tip
  • HallTHallT Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    thanks to everyone for the tips. I've tried trolling stretch 30s and no. 3 planers with buck tails as explained in this thread. After 6 hours of trolling the ditch on the slower tide phases (last 90 min to first 90 min x 2 days) I finally caught a short gag.

I did mark some large fish on the bottom in 47' but didn't have a way to troll that deep.

Definitely not easy to keep the baits in the desired depth range. I did lost a complete planer rig, so I think I'm getting deep enough.

Is there anything else I could be doing wrong or does it just take a lot of time out there to catch a keeper?
  • winderbillwinderbill Posts: 252 Deckhand
    I was out last week and caught 10, all shorts! It's getting late in the season and the big boys will be less likely to chase a lure as the water temps drop further. If you're zig zagging the channel's edge, 30-35ft or so, you're in the zone. Don't worry about marking fish. As long as you're marking bait or structure you're fine. Save the stretches for offshore, planers are the ticket for the channel.
    Thanks windeebill.
    Tried again today with this method. Zig-zagged in 30-36' with No 3 planers and buck tails on the slower tides. May have one fish on that came off. Otherwise, nothing.

I don't consider this a lazy man's method considering the tangles and hang ups. Frustrating.
  • maxalloremaxallore Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    My first time trying was a few weeks ago with no luck. Tried for about 3 hours with a 30ft diver and a no 3 planner with a silver spoon. Became frustrated a few times and re-setting the planner without reeling in a the line really puts a cramp in your arm!! Anyways will try again this weekend maybe or move offshore.
  • DigitalchaosDigitalchaos Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    I put a heavy rubber band thru planer eye and hook to snap on back helps reset easily when planer trips .fish will streych pit band when hooked. I also will pull a rapala cd 14 or a bomber plug behind #3 planer . gopd luclk hope this helps
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file