Is Grape-Vine Wood Good for Smoking Meat?

Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 7,774 Admiral
I just cut down a grapevine about 9" wide at the base. I can get a lot of wood from it, if needed.

Is grapevine wood good for smoking meat and fish?

If so, fresh or dry/aged?
23895.gif

Replies

• Capt'n. ChumbucketCapt'n. Chumbucket Posts: 1,366 Officer
    If it is any good it would need to be aged/dried. Green would probably give off a bitter smoke.
    Specializing in poor life choices since 1954.
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,414 Officer
    Yes, and either way.
    Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself. :blowkiss

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.
  • nicknick Posts: 4,396 Captain
    Pretty sure when its 9" at the base its called a grape tree:hairraiser
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    What kind of grape? I've used Sea Grape before.. especially good for jerk barbequing.
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg
  • PotholePothole Posts: 1,368 Officer
    got ants? wrote: »
    What kind of grape? I've used Sea Grape before.. especially good for jerk barbequing.

You BBQ'd Cyclist????
  • flatsjunkie88flatsjunkie88 Posts: 1,364 Officer
    We need a cooking section ;)
  • WaVeCrAzEdWaVeCrAzEd Posts: 561 Officer
    You can grow persimmon and peach here. Both good.
  • CalusaCalusa Posts: 11,881 Officer
    FISH HAID - try the oleander, it works well for smoking food. It'll be a knockout at your next party. :cool
    FS Forum member since January 4, 2003
    Member #12478
    Not a Jew
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 1,679 Captain
    Careful there, Calusa! I'm sure Fish Haid knows the score, but some of these new yankees moving down might not!

One of the very best smoking woods is common Turkey Oak, and it's everywhere on the sand ridges. Just take a hatchet and cut the dead bark off down to the red/pinkish inner live portion and smoke away! Nothing better for pork meat!
  • spinfreakspinfreak Posts: 5,204 Officer
    Grape wood is good. Hard to come by (to buy).
    Exiled Dungeon Master of The Freakshow :cool:
    YOU NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP! Seriously. Do it for yourself and loved ones. You have issues
  • Ramblin' ReckRamblin' Reck Posts: 2,701 Officer
    Should be very good. The Wiccians use apple wood near Christmas.

Sayin... Reck
    AuthorHouse.com

Walk.gif
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    spinfreak wrote: »
    Grape wood is good. Hard to come by (to buy).

Spin, I know an endless supply if you want some. It's also tumbled and free of bark. Just a mere $7 a pound... (used to mount orchids)
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    Good wood, used some when I lived in Sonoma County aka Dry Creek aka Heildsburg. But again as with the grapes its all about the terroir.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • BigDanSBigDanS Posts: 832 Officer
    Oleander is poison.
    CAMTEQ Computers - Networks - Service - Sales
    We do it all for business and home
    http://www.camteq.net
    Save $125 on your first service call
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 1,679 Captain
    Back when the 'Nam War was building up and I was TAD to NAS Pensacola for Knife & Fork School, bunch of young Sailors and Waves had a big beach party one Saturday night. BBQ on the beach, messing around-you know the deal-anyhow they were roasting hot dogs and one young Sailor cut an Oleander branch for his hot dog. Killed him dead as hell! I have an idea some Oleander bushes may be more toxic than others, but don't know. Just don't mess with the stuff!
  • drkpttdrkptt Posts: 1,927 Officer
    Back when the 'Nam War was building up and I was TAD to NAS Pensacola for Knife & Fork School, bunch of young Sailors and Waves had a big beach party one Saturday night. BBQ on the beach, messing around-you know the deal-anyhow they were roasting hot dogs and one young Sailor cut an Oleander branch for his hot dog. Killed him dead as hell! I have an idea some Oleander bushes may be more toxic than others, but don't know. Just don't mess with the stuff!

Can you actually document this death from eating meat off an oleander skewer? Because it would be a first.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/poison/oleander.asp

A study was conducted by cooking dogs on oleander sticks and running mass-spectroscopy on the meat to measure the residual poison. The amount measured was negligible.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/816781-clinical#a0218

Exposure to plants containing glycosides can occur through ingestion of sap, berries, leaves, blossoms, seeds, or ingestion of teas brewed from plant parts; plant extracts also have been intentionally injected.

Other implicated routes of exposures, perhaps more folkloric than well documented, include drinking lily-of-the-valley vase water, eating food prepared with or stirred by poisonous plant parts, and inhaling smoke from burning plants.

That said, I certainly wouldn't want to be anywhere near an oleander fire.
  • drkpttdrkptt Posts: 1,927 Officer
    So how about smoking food with hickory nuts?
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 7,774 Admiral
    So is Grape wood as good as oak or hickory? Is it worth saving, or throw on burn-pile?
    23895.gif
  • bullgatorbullgator Posts: 1,940 Officer
    I've never used grape wood but have always heard it is excellent.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 21,693 AG
    drkptt wrote: »
    So how about smoking food with hickory nuts?
    A little sharper smoke than the hickory wood if you use green nuts. I use old and fresh, just soak em in water for some hours.

They work great.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • PP1PP1 Posts: 332 Deckhand
    got ants? wrote: »

Is this true? Got some humongus Sea Grape trees in the yard and been throwing away the trimmings. Maybe I need to stop. Just this weekend took out a dead orange tree and kept it for that reason.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,471 Admiral
    nick wrote: »
    Pretty sure when its 9" at the base its called a grape tree:hairraiser

****, I think thats going to be my new nickname:

Grape Tree
    I have a much bigger and more powerful button

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file