Maiden voyage, to West End, on "Rum 'N Gun"

Finally finished rigging my new boat, Contender 35ST, for our first fishing trip. I have decided to name her "Rum 'N Gun". We broke the LW Inlet at 6:00 am last Saturday headed for West End. With wahoo and muttons on our mind, the throttles were pushed further. We arrived at OBB while CJ was opening up his office. As usual he greeted us with a smile and asked "how was your crossing". It was a bit choppy, I said, however the boat ate it up.

We set up our HST just north of Sandy and were amazed at the comfort and control of this boat. After about an hour of no love, we decided to run up north of Memory. Within about 10 minutes of trolling the long starboard reel starts screaming, rod is bent over double, and all the wire is off the reel leaving only about 50 yards of the backing.
I was worried that the wire to mono connection would break, fortunately we remained tight and after about 15 minutes we slid that wahoo thru the transom door and the congratulations began. We set up again, same area, and boated another fish. Expecting the bite to really turn on, it turned off just as fast as it started.

We checked the weather, and noticed that front was now traveling 50-60 mph directly towards us. Thanks Garmin!
We all agreed, at the same time, to pull the lines in and head back home. Just as we cleared the LW Inlet we got hit with a huge drop in temp, heavy rain and wind.

Although we had to cut our trip short, I was very pleased with the boat and fishing. Looking forward to doing that again and taking the boat to Spanish Wells next month :-)

• ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,064 Captain
    Congrats on the maiden voyage and stripes to go along with it, great job.
  • swordawetswordawet 337 miles WNW of GTCPosts: 619 Officer
    Nice ride....and very sweet fuel burn especially at 40mph! Those motors must have a lot of torque
    "Today's the Day" .... Mel Fisher
  • Osprey45Osprey45 FT Pierce/ Boonton Twp NJPosts: 966 Officer
  • LET'S GOLET'S GO Posts: 2,040 Captain
    With the way MR. WAHOO is lit up he looks like he is happy to be on board. Nice boat and trip!

baf44a4e-6651-4a38-8a03-7b1c3b6bd22b_zpse5ca0565.jpg L.G. LIFE IS GOOD ON THE "LET'S GO!"
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,320 Captain
    Sweet ride - love the electronics.

Pura Vida!
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,345 Admiral
    Very nice Jeff!
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,780 Moderator
    ****, nice picture!!

Keeping busy while away from Florida
  • Totally HookedTotally Hooked Posts: 599 Officer
    Congrats on the maiden voyage. Nice leaning post. :dance

Life begin's as soon as I leave the dock!
  • MaribellaMaribella Posts: 508 Officer
    Nice work and congrats on the new sled. Glad you guys made it back before that storm.
    Captain James Jolly

Maribella Charters, LLC
    ph: 772.222.7101
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,428 Admiral

Great job and thanks for the invite.

I'll make sure to get time off next time.

Boat looks sweet!!!! :thumbsup

• CNTDRCNTDR Posts: 853 Officer
    Thanks for all the replies!
    We don't gaff the fish, unless over 60 lbs, so the wahoo show their stripes and color. Also, it is much safer and no blood on the deck.
    The 350's have a tremendous amount of torque. She shoots up on a plane and tops out at 65 mph. Surprisingly the same performance as the Yamaha Performance Bulletins.
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,045 Admin
    Congratulations on the maiden voyage, Jeff, and many more to come!
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • e-moneye-money Posts: 4,257 Officer
    Nice going guys. I wish I had left when you did
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
  • Lazy BonesLazy Bones Posts: 940 Officer
    boat's a beast, congrats and way to break her in. 1.6 at 40 is a solid # for a boat that big.
  • oldtimeroldtimer Posts: 481 Deckhand
    nice speed, fuel ratio at 3900. besides tilt at 3 on each engine. did you have your trim tabs set at a certain level...
  • CNTDRCNTDR Posts: 853 Officer
    oldtimer wrote: »
    nice speed, fuel ratio at 3900. besides tilt at 3 on each engine. did you have your trim tabs set at a certain level...

Thanks. Boat is perfectly balanced. No trim on the trim tabs are needed. They are either level with the hull or fully retracted. Only use the tabs, ever so slightly, in the unlikely event that to many people or to many dead fish are on one side of the boat. :-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file