Deep drop frustration

Alright you all, I have tried and tried to do a little deep dropping and I have caught ZERO fish. I am so frustrated, I'm about to give it up. I have tried all depths, different baits, 2 hook rigs, 6 hook rigs, light, no light. I am beginning to wonder if I wasted 700.00 on this electric reel set up. UGH!!!!
Anyway, just ranting a little.

Replies

• tltypeslowtltypeslow Posts: 153 Deckhand
    From my experience most deep water fish like oily baits, such as macs, bonita strips, or squid. And pretty much once the bait hots bottom your on, if not move to another spot

What are you targeting?
  • followotherboatsfollowotherboats Posts: 445 Officer
    tltypeslow wrote: »
    From my experience most deep water fish like oily baits, such as macs, bonita strips, or squid. And pretty much once the bait hots bottom your on, if not move to another spot

What are you targeting?

I'm using large squid and basically anything that will bite. I know tile fish like mud, rosies like hard bottom as well as grouper. Barrels are deeper etc. I have tried the mud along the gps ridge outlines. I have tried 500 feet all the way to 1200 feet. I have tried out by the Marathon hump (not enough weight that day though).
  • Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,082 Officer
    Remember the currents. Go both up current of the ridge and down current ;)
  • flbluerunnerflbluerunner Posts: 697 Officer
    Biggest mistake I see deep dropping is not using enough weight and not allowing the weight to tap or bounce the bottom.
    Look at your chart for large contours.
    Use big, #16 hooks. When I am hunting grouper I want big ones. Before the closure I was only keeping snowies over 35lbs. I use whole 100 to 200 gram squid.
    If you want to target other species go down to an 8 hook.
    I am heading back to the Keys and hope some of the deep dwellers will open back up.
    John :USA
    2006 38 Luhrs IPS600, A true 38, the only one made with IPS!
    2001 23 Parker

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tltypeslowtltypeslow Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Just in case you wanna sell the deep drop gear, feel free to shoot me a pm. Good luck out there, you will get into em soon
  • JOHNC100JOHNC100 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    I did the same thing when I started dropping - lots of nothing trips. I found that any noticeable bottom contour in 900 - 1100' means hard bottom and always has rosies. They are nice to cut your teeth on! You can spend a few hours experimenting with your rig and different hooks and weight while catching a nice dinner. Try to get comfortable timing your drop so that you hit bottom about the time you are drifting over your mark. It takes a few tries to get it and your not going to get it right every time no matter how much practice you have. Fortunately close is close enough for rosies. There are grouper in the same spots as the rosies but I have not had as much luck with them as some others. Snapper are around if you have some good numbers (that's where the drifting/dropping practice comes in). Most folks do better on the other side for snapper.
    Considering the expense of deep dropping it is worth it to pay to go with an experienced skipper at least once. Keep trying and good luck.
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,216 Officer
    We always get blackbellies in the 850 range
    always on squid also tile and barrel.We run
    2 rods 5 lb lead.Over 3.5 current gets a little
    tough feeling the bite.Dont give up we enjoy
    dropping some days you will have little current
    and rodtip will go nuts.DONT GIVE UP!!!
  • copout@castawayscopout@castaways Posts: 5,779 Officer
    I learned a lot of spots where they're aren't any fish before I started finding them. Make sure you're fishing straight up & down. Learn the current vs. wind & how you're going to drift. Don't forget GT's are closed in Federal now. Watch the tip & see if you can differentiate between hard & soft bottom. Watch your sonar, watch your sonar! You will catch rosies using the rigs I told you to. Fish further South of where you currently are. I fished way outside the Marathon hump & did well last month.
    When I first started, I was having trouble holding bottom but I know the rig needs to be right on the bottom and have used up to 6 pounds of lead to get it there. Have even used the boat to slow the drift down as well. It's just crazy that I can't even get a bite. I run out 20 miles for dolphin all the time and my thought process was to drop on the way in for some good eats and just something different. Not even ONE bite you all. lol
  • JOHNC100JOHNC100 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    It sounds like you are trying to fish while drifting. You have to drop while drifting to keep your line relatively straight up and down and then put the boat in gear to hold position as well as you can while your bait sits on bottom. My boat holds position better in reverse than forward but its harder to keep up with the speed of the current in reverse. It is usually a combination of slowing the drift as much as possible while letting out some line occasionally to keep the bait on bottom. Your line will never get slack because of the current pulling a bow in the line but your rod tip and the speed the line comes off of the reel (while dropping) will let you know your on bottom.
    It is common to start with 1 pond of weight per 100' depth - that's 10 pounds to hold bottom in 1000'. That's about right for 3+ knot current. More current means more weight and too much current makes it impossible.
    My set up is a diawa tenacon 1000 and was told I could not use more the 6 pounds of lead. Is this true? I have targeted all depths however I seem to hold bottom better from 600-800 feet especially if the stream is way out and I am in green water. I hit bottom and from what I hear, the bite is immediate so even if my bait comes off some, shouldn't I have had at least one bite by now in 20+ drops? lol I use the boat in reverse as well to hold position like over a wreck. It is a little more tricky the deeper you get and I know this. At times, I have panned out line after I hit the bottom to keep it there a little. Nada!
  • copout@castawayscopout@castaways Posts: 5,779 Officer
    Boat in forward into the current at all times. I normally have one in gear @ 800-1000rpms & I'm still moving the opposite direction from 1-2.5kts. Anything more than that & it's too much.

That reel can handle 8lbs & 3 15lb fish.

Does your chart plotter show contours?
    Boat in forward into the current at all times. I normally have one in gear @ 800-1000rpms & I'm still moving the opposite direction from 1-2.5kts. Anything more than that & it's too much.

That reel can handle 8lbs & 3 15lb fish.

Does your chart plotter show contours?

Yes and I have tried them,well not all but I have tried, especially in areas where it looks like a "U" shape contour if you know what I mean. I also have a great sonar with 2 through hulls for high and low chirp. I'll usually set it for split frequency's so I can see the bottom well.

That's good to know about that reel. Like I said, I though 6 pounds was max so that's as much as I have tried.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 5,473 Admiral
    maybe you should just follow other boats

sorry I had to do it :fishing
  • PargitoPargito Posts: 48 Deckhand
    From what i read you are fishing mostly in the keys correct? If you are then it shouldnt be an issue to get on some fish.

If you arent getting bites then your rig is being presented totally wrong. In my experience deep dropping is about making sure your hooks with the bait are near the bottom. Remember any angle between the line coming off the rod tip and the terminal swivel where the rig begins will literally launch your rig a huge amount of feet off the bottom.

You will then scratch your head and say **** why does it take so long to hit bottom? The answer is line diameter, weight selection and rig presentation.

The next step is finding acceptable bottom. I have caught nice fish on flat bottom with no marks and ive caught no fish on radical bottom with nice marks. Its all about experimentation and setting up a nice long power drift. Some important factors. If you cant see the weight tapping on the rod tip. You arent anywhere near the bottom. Period. Secondly fresh bait can be a game changer. Bonita combined with squid on a 10/0 hook is a good place to start. You can change the hook size once you find what critters are lurking below.

I hope this helps you. I would also strongly encourage you to begin deep dropping shallower until you pretty much mastered the 300ft depths then 400ft depths etc etc. there are always spots to find. Its all about how much time you are willing to dedicate to the process.

Good luck.
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,843 Officer
    I have had some success in 600 feet off Cudjoe Key using squid

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file