Hunting hog with handgun

kci-miakci-mia Posts: 157 Officer
I want to hunt hogs with handgun this year.
I'm not looking to shoot a trophy hog, just meat hog like I always do.
I will keep the range within 25 yards as thats about as far as I can consistantly hit a clay pigeons from standing position.
I have couple of handguns I can use including a 357 mag Python, Colt 1911 in 45ACP and Ruger GP100.
I'm not sure if I want to use the 45ACP or 357mag yet.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• JoshAaron91685JoshAaron91685 Posts: 723 Officer
    A buddy of mine killed a sow a few years ago with a .40 Not sure how it would have done with a thick shielded boar but it got good penetration on the sow. .357 will do it for sure no problem. I'll be hunting them this year with a handgun as well but mine is a 7mm-08 :devil
  • kci-miakci-mia Posts: 157 Officer
    I assume 7mm-08 is a T/C?

I think I'm going to try the 357magnum this time and maybe use the 45ACP in future.
    I have a 357mag load of 180gr Hornady XTP going 1,210 fps out of the Ruger GP100.
    The 45ACP load is 200gr Hornady XTP going 990 fps from the Government model.
  • kmf600kmf600 Posts: 188 Officer
    My brother shot a 300 pound boar with his .40 cal glock 35. He also killed a 100 pound sow with a 9mm Berretta. One shot to the ear with the 9mm, I think 8 to the chest/ribs with the .40

I think the first 2 shots with the .40 the hog didn't move, like he missed. The next 6 or more were just because he had that many more bullets left.
    IMG_2752.jpg
    I think there are people who have killed hogs with a high power pellet gun to the ear too.
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,683 Captain
    I have killed several with a 357 revolver.
  • JRussellJRussell Posts: 1,411 Officer
    10mm for me.

If I had to choose between 357 and 45 I would go with the 357. Should get better penetration.
    The Florida Hunters Network Facebook page
  • kci-miakci-mia Posts: 157 Officer
    JRussell wrote: »
    10mm for me.

If I had to choose between 357 and 45 I would go with the 357. Should get better penetration.

Yes, both loads were made with "older" design XTP bullets which doesn't expand much but gives good penetration.
    Yea its a TC. I'm a big fan of the 7-08 for its "man gun" power and "girl gun" recoil. I have one in pistol and one in rifle.
  • monkeybusinessjrmonkeybusinessjr Posts: 380 Officer
    Shot placement is the key. I shot a big hog broadside 3 times with my .45 and he just kept on trotten. Shot one with my .40 same thing. You really need to hit the head / neck / spine otherwise you'll most likely not find them.
  • DUCKWHACKERDUCKWHACKER Posts: 326 Deckhand
    I shot a 133lb boar on Labor Day weekend with my Super Blackhawk .44 mag. Slipped up to about 15 yards and a shot just below the ear dropped em where he stood. I have taken a bunch of hogs over the years using 44's, 357's and a 30-30 T/C.
  • joekat46joekat46 Posts: 1,735 Captain
    First_Hog_November_21_2007.jpg
    S&W 4506, 20 yards, ear placement, no problem
  • FCHCFCHC Posts: 207 Officer
    This is how i roll. 454 casull 240gr hornady xtp magnum @2050fps - 2200ft lbs energy

rb454ls.jpg
  • down4dacountdown4dacount Posts: 2,580 Officer
    My hog and deer hand cannon . S&W Mod 29 , 8-3/8" barrel 44 Mag , my custom load Hornady 240XTP , 1500 fps .
    DSC_0014-2.jpg
    33005-1.jpg
    gkgc.jpg
    ShotKam Pro Staff
    Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me
    Check out my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/Down4dacount1?feature=mhee
    [IMG][/img]
    Those are two bad **** guns.
  • lilwoodylilwoody Posts: 1,043 Officer
    357 mag loaded with 16.5 grs of H110 and a 158 gr Hornady XTP is some serious hog fodder. I hit one in the lower right jaw that was looking stright at me at 20 yards and it dropped like a stone. Defleshed the skull to see what happened and the force of the blow to the jaw cracked it's skull, not to mention the bullet lodged in it's spine juse below the skull. It's hard to beat home rolled 357s with H110 unless you get up into the pistols that start with 4s.
    "Those who will trade freedom for security will have neither".
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    I shot this big-boy with a S&W 686 .357 and a 158 grain soft point in the shoulder...

He dropped about 10 yards away.
  • nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,052 Officer
    I hunt with a Contender have used a 7tcu which is 7mm in a 223 case and all the way up to a 4570
    I also shot one with a 357 S&W I hit it smack in the chest the thing start to moon walk LMAO it literally
    was back peddling
    Next shot hit her in the head stopped the dance right there
    Either gun you have will do it,
    just hunt like you would with a bow on Steroids
  • Derek ArsuaDerek Arsua Posts: 2,474 Officer
    I agree with monkey business you really need good penetration like a jacketed soft point and hit them idealy in the bean or you will chase him and most likely not find him without dog's . have shot hog's with (000) buck roll them over and get back up and run off over 100 yard's
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 5,908 Admiral
    What exactly is the scope for on the handguns? Does it seriously do anything that you cannot do with the sights? Or is it for aesthetics?
    What exactly is the scope for on the handguns? Does it seriously do anything that you cannot do with the sights? Or is it for aesthetics?

My uncles .500 is good for 200 yds. Think you could pull that off with open sights?
  • James243James243 Posts: 687 Officer

I think the scope is for accuracy and precision. For me, One big fat hole groups with my .357mag at 50yards, and 2" at 100yards. Last year I head shot a squirrel with it last year at 30yards just simply using the side of a tree for a rest, I know exactly where the bullet will hit once the trigger snaps anywhere up to 50 yards. I think that is tough to do with most open sights. (10" .357mag TC Contender, 158gr xtp at 1600fps)
    My uncles .500 is good for 200 yds. Think you could pull that off with open sights?

Hey, I don't know. I've never tried it, but I just didn't think any pistol was that accurate, braced or not. I am far from an expert, that's why I'm asking. Do these pistols have rifled barrels?
    oh yea. They are plenty accurate. They are capable of better accuracy than most shooters can utilize.
  • gatormarkgatormark Posts: 2,240 Officer
    I have shot a bunch of hogs with my S&W model 66. A 357 is one fast, very fast nasty **** round.
  • osprey11osprey11 Posts: 799 Officer
    Unloaded on a pack of hogs with .357. Shot all six times, got five pure luck. My reco HEARING PROTECTION. Man what a headache I had. I put that sucker down for the quiter .3006 rest of hunt.

Hobbit free zone!!

try shooting at 100 yards without one
    ShotKam Pro Staff
    Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me
    [IMG][/img]
    Do these pistols have rifled barrels?
    LOL
    ShotKam Pro Staff
    [IMG][/img]
  • anglingarchitectanglingarchitect Posts: 1,480 Officer
    Those are bad **** guns guys!
    I don't get close enough to the hogs I kill in Ga. for open sights, so no pistol kills so far.

But my 6.8 Ar is fun, and is as accurate as my 270 bolt gun, for my skill level, but I have scopes on both of them. I think I could kill hogs to 100 yards with open sights, on either of them.

For an open sight pistol shot to feel comfortable I would need to be @ 15 yards off hand. My crimson trace on my 45 might get me to twenty five!

Never had a pistol with a sight but they look fun!
    rent my beach house
  • FCHCFCHC Posts: 207 Officer
    I think alot of people would agree that you owe it to the animal to kill it as quickly and humanely as possible. A scoped weapon allows you to be more precise with bullet placement. the fact is there is only 1 Jerry Miculek and only 1 Bob Munden, quite certain no one on this forum holds a candle to these 2 guys when it comes to shooting pistols without optics.... Not that i would shoot over a 75 yards with my 454 but i can guarantee i am more accurate at that distance with a scope then most people at 25 yards open sights.. It is never about Aesthetics, it is about functionality and confidence in your weapon. this is another reason why i Handload ALL ammunition that shoot, it allows me to control another one of the many variables that leads to a quick & humane kill.
    I really had no idea. Laugh at my "rifling" question all you want... but at least answer it.

I didn't know you could get that kind of accuracy from a short barrell like that.? I would have thought otherwise, but I'm getting schooled. A pistol shot at 100 yards is unbelievable to me (and yes, I can see why you need a scope over any distance with that kind of accuracy). I'll have to try it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file