The bill to reauthorize the Magnuson-Stevens Act passes House; Senate next

MGDMGD Posts: 986 Officer
I am pretty ignorant to legislative stuff...but this seems like a good thing

In an action that could provide meaningful and lasting improvements to saltwater fisheries management, H.R. 1335 was passed by the U.S. House of Representatives.

The bill to reauthorize the Magnuson-Stevens Act marks long overdue recognition of recreational fishing in the nation’s laws and will mean more and better fishing for years to come.

This is a victory to take pride in. We are ready to move on to the Senate where the help of anglers will be needed again.

More info here
http://keepamericafishing.org/news-and-media/news/recreational-saltwater-fishing-coalition-lauds-house-legislation/

Replies

• CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 1,872 Captain
    I think the intent of the Magnuson-Stevens Act was good but from what I can tell it has been twisted around to implement rules that are leaving the recreational sector holding the bag. See ridiculous 10 day ARS season in federal waters in gulf of mexico. So, I am not sure this is a good thing or not and I, like you, am not totally up to speed on this. Just what I keep hearing at FWC and NOAA/NMFS meetings etc...

Unfortunately, as with most politics, big money somehow seems to win over what is probably the right thing to do.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • woodytoowoodytoo Posts: 284 Deckhand
    I have done some reading into what the changed elements are in the house bill. It looks (at a glance) to be a step in the right direction, but don't know the details. Does anyone have a breakdown on the changes ipassed by he house, and what Rubio is proposing on the senate bill?

Bo
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
    Lil Woody, Carolina Skiff JVX16
    St Pete and Big Pine Key, Fl

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file