Costa Rica, Picture heavy

Got the chance to venture down to Costa Rica in March to get away from work and do a little fishing. Fished with Tranquilo Charters out at the FADs. Ended up getting my first Marlin and Roosterfish. Got a lot of bites from marlin but being the noob that I am to marlin fishing most came unglued. Mix that with a bunch of sailfish, mahi, fresh tuna, Imperial light and microwaved squid ceviche and you have one hell of a trip.

• Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,127 Officer
    awsome pics.
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
  • Reel MullarkeyReel Mullarkey Posts: 1,808 Captain
    WOW! Those are some great pics! Thanks
    Jonathan Mullarkey's
    Professional cleaning and restoration since 1999

• Lazy BonesLazy Bones Posts: 940 Officer
    great pics, tell us more about the FAD many days were you out there?
  • greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 713 Officer
    Lazy Bones your June issue of FloridaSportsman has a article on it and it came out today. I was in Costa a total of 7 days but at the FADs for 4 days. Did one day of roosters and we went 5/6 in 1.5hrs before going out to a reef to look for Cubera. No Cubera though. Out at the FADs its pretty much action all day with sailfish bites between your marlin bites. Throw in some yellowfin and mahi into the mix too. The FADs are a pricey trip but we hooked 23 marlin in 4 days and rose more than that. Some guys catch 20 marlin in a day over there. We had an amazing crew who couldn't have done a better job. Just makes me wish we had that kind of fishery here.
    FYI the roosterfish is my picture that that is me in the picture with my first rooster. Not to bad on a trout rod with 20lb test.
  • captaintjcaptaintj Posts: 443 Officer
    great pics
    IoT-All thing connected
    GPS Tracking Solutions
    Affordable Fishing Panama, Panama
  • ControlledChaosControlledChaos Posts: 697 Officer
    Dude awesome trip and pics! That looks like a really fun time, costa is the place to be for big fins and marlin. Every time we have gone it has been the trip of a lifetime!!!
    Captain for Controlled Chaos Fishing Team
    Previous forum name jfenn10
    Check us out on Facebook @

• e-moneye-money Posts: 4,257 Officer
    Wow amazing pics!
    Thanks for sharing and Pura Vida!
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
  • fishknutfishknut Posts: 3,925 Captain
    Those are amazing pics, very cool. Thanks for sharing
    Fail to plan, plan to fail.......
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,780 Moderator
    Trip of a lifetime. Thanks for sharing.

Keeping busy while away from Florida
  • oaksoaks Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    Awesome Pictures!
  • frankiezfrankiez Posts: 389 Deckhand
    Pics are fantastic. Great colors!
  • denali2670denali2670 Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    Great pictures. What camera? phone? did you use.
  • swordawetswordawet 337 miles WNW of GTCPosts: 619 Officer
    Looks like it was a hella of great trip........your documentation is tremendous!
    "Today's the Day" .... Mel Fisher
  • ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,064 Captain
    Now that is an awesome trip. CONGRATS!!!!!!
    denali2670 wrote: »
    Great pictures. What camera? phone? did you use.

I use a nikon d3200 with a 18-55 mm and 70-300 mm lens. Just got it in January as my first DSLR so still learning how to use it and all the setting. Learning how to edit as well.

As I said the June issue of Floridasportsman has the full story of the trip. If you all like it then I may have another story in the works.
  • FreeatlastFreeatlast Posts: 123 Officer
    Wow, what great pics. Good job. We love it down there.
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,345 Admiral
    Awesome trip!
  • Kevinwwings2Kevinwwings2 Posts: 1,261 Officer
    Amazing pictures. That looks like an amazing trip as well. Thank you for sharing.
  • footanklegfootankleg Posts: 505 Officer
    Phenomenal! Def bucket list. What software for pics? PC or Mac?
    Cobia 296 F300s J & B
    Hewes 18' RF Y130 Flatfoot
  • BocaCentury2900BocaCentury2900 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    Wow amazing pics!
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,428 Admiral
    Greenie Slayer.

OUTSTANDING PICTURES!!!!! :thumbsup

The action, color and subject matter is just unbelievable.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

I just got May's issue so I'll keep my eye out for it.

footankleg wrote: »
    Phenomenal! Def bucket list. What software for pics? PC or Mac?

PC using photoshop elements but a very old version of it.
    Might have to put this trip back on the bucket list just to go back with the fly rod next time. Roosterfish and Marlin on fly has to be about as epic as it gets.
  • Mahi MastaMahi Masta Posts: 37 Deckhand
    Those pics are SPECTACULAR
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,320 Captain
    Freakin' Awesome! - great trip and congrats on your Rooster catch!

Pura Vida!
  • flatsfisherflatsfisher Posts: 1,381 Officer
    Those are amazing pictures, sounds like a fantastic trip hope to do something like that one day
  • evergladeskid243evergladeskid243 Posts: 269 Officer
    Awesome pics bro!
    Here are a couple more pictures from the trip. First few are some crocs you can feed chicken from a bridge while going from the airport to the marina. I was advised not to swim as apparently a local tried thinking these things were his pets. I was told he made it about half way across the canal before the pets made him dinner. You would think they don't need to tell you not to swim here but someone has to test Darwin's theory. Other picture is of a wooden sailfish from a local wood carving shop. They guy from this shop makes some amazing wood carving and my buddy got this sail from them. There is a video that goes along with the trip as we ran 3-4 gopros at a time for 5 days strait but one of the other guys is editing this footage and I have no idea when it will be done. Should be some amazing footage though.

• yachteryachter Posts: 182 Officer
    Awesome bro, that looks amazing, I'll be checking that Charter out for next Spring, Thanks
  • Lazy BonesLazy Bones Posts: 940 Officer
    As I said the June issue of Floridasportsman has the full story of the trip. If you all like it then I may have another story in the works.

Good article, thanks for posting more pics than the article included
    Lazy Bones wrote: »
    Good article, thanks for posting more pics than the article included

Ya i wish FS could have used more of the pictures but if they used as many as I wanted there wouldn't be much room for other articles.

Yachter if you would like any info on this charter let me know and I'll have the owner of the boat send you whatever info you may need.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file