Yankee Capts 3 day Mutton Marathon

Finally got to go on a trip with my long time fishing partner, Nathan, my son. He's been fishing party boats with me since he was 9. If my math is correct that is almost 30 years. It's been tough to get out together the last few years with his work and family obligations so I was really looking forward to this trip. So we loaded the truck up with coolers and tackle and were off on the 7 hour drive to stock island, stopping along the way to pick up some goggle eyes, speedos, and balley hoo. As we pulled up to the Yankee Capts there were already several groups of anglers waiting for the word to board. We unloaded our gear and joined them. I thought our drive was bad but ran into Dudley, a YC regular, that drives down from Jacksonville. When Capt Greg gave the word we loaded our gear and then went next door to the Hogfish to get a bite to eat.

Edit: Forgot to add one incident. Thought several people were going to lose their lunch when Art (another regular) ate a bait squid on a bet. We were told you could hear the people around him gagging all the way over at the Hogfiah.

(Not sure why some of the pictures may not open all the time. I tried reloading the pictures and tried re-sizing them but it didn't seem to make much difference)

Not a great picture, but the Yankee Capts, looking good with its new paint job and new boxes on the bow, as we wait to depart.

After we got under way, it was time to try and get some sleep. About 6 am I heard the power pulled back and was up and ready for our first stop of many. I believe we started fishing in about 140 ft. A few fish were caught but there was a lot of green slime on the bottom. If you didn't get a bite the first minute or two when you dropped down, your bait and sinker would come up covered in the slime. After a couple stops with these conditions Greg decided to move further off shore into about 220 feet to get away from the slime. I would say that the trip was pretty typical with a slow pick most of the time. There were a few spots were the bite was better then others but all-in-all a pretty good trip. As usual the sharks were a nuisance at a couple spots. There were a few small muttons but most were on the large side, 10-12 lb. In fact, we broke off a few fish that were pretty large. There was a pretty large variety of fish caught including a 38 lb Cabarra, quite a few blackfin tuna, a few amber jacks, a lot of nice scamp grouper, etc. Not too many yellow tails, which is OK with me. I hate it when they keep stealing your bait.

The weather was great the whole trip with a slight breeze that made it very comfortable. The seas were probably never more then 2, maybe 3 feet at most.

Nathan with an AJ

Nathan with Blackfin

A couple of the typical muttons we caught.

32 lb king fish caught on a bottom rig with no wire.

Total catch: 13 muttons, 2 scamps, 1 red grouper, 1 yellow eye snapper, 4 lg yellow tail snapper, 2 gaint porgies, 1 nice margate, 1 kingfish, 1 black fin tuna, and one amber jack. My son did most of the catching. With a bum knee and bad back I take a lot of breaks from the rail. (Got to have some excuse for him out fishing me.)

Capt Greg and crew did their usual outstanding job. Greg put us on the fish and Lyndon, Matt and Brian made quick work of any line tangles and were there with the gaff when needed. The mates scrubbed the boat from bow to stern keeping the new paint job looking great. Pete the new cook made me a couple great cheese burgers that really hit the spot. Don't know how I managed to leave Brizo out. Keeping everyone on the crew in line.

I couldn't resist one last picture. My son with his future fishing partner.

Replies

• Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    NICE trip!
  • Mike JMike J Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    Awesome report. Thanks for posting.
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,396 Officer
    Great write up Bob. It was great fishing with you again and meeting Nathan. Fun trip for sure. A couple stops had some BIG muttons coming up but having 40 people on the boat sometimes made it tough landing them haha. A couple other notes, I saw more big scamps this trip then I have seen in while so that was nice. You can't beat them on the dinner plate. Lastly the new cook Pete worked his tail off. Guys if you have a trip coming up, trust me you don't have to bother bringing a bunch of food. The galley meals were outstanding. As usually Capt Greg put us on the fish and his hard working crew of Lyndon, Matt and Brian made fishing easy, quick to work out the many tangles, gaff your fish and keep you laughing at the same time. It doesn't get much better.
  • globalwavetrackerglobalwavetracker Posts: 230 Deckhand
    Nice catch of stud muttons and mix on a packed boat. Hope the algae will drive off the sharks, :machinegun.
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 303 Deckhand
    XAF, nice report. I can't wait to try out the Yankee Capts in July on a Rankin trip. Glad you got to fish with your son! I just took my 8yr old on his first half-day a few months ago and he loved it.
  • XafXaf Posts: 955 Officer
    TennesseeDave - That's exactly how Nathan and I started, 1/2 day trip or 2 out of Sebastian Inlet to make sure he could handle it. After that he became a weekend regular with me for many years. He often frustrated older anglers by walking away with the pool money. :dance:dance:

I have one more Pulley Ridge Trip then go in for knee replacement scheduled at the end of May. Hopefully everything will go as scheduled, looking forward to the July trip myself.
  • cameron sleepcameron sleep Posts: 435 Deckhand
    Great report and catch! I have a long wait, but I'll be back!
  • AMPEDAMPED Posts: 596 Officer
    Nice!
    2016 39 Sea Vee
    2008 37 Ocean Billfish
    2005 30 Grady-White Marlin
    1993 27 Ultress Catamaran
    1985 Grady-White Trophy
  • stangmanstangman Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Thank all of you for the updated reports. There are a group of us currently serving our country in Afghanistan and we look forward to the posts on Yankee Capt fishing trips. We are unable to access Facebook, so we look forward to the posts on the YK site (Capt Greg, can you help us out with that. Accessing your site is easiest for us. Thanks) or where-ever we can find them. We have reservations for the 4 Day Pulley Ridge/Rankin Ridge trip on the end of July - beginning of Aug and we are all truly excited with anticipation of that trip. We will be driving down from Ft. Bragg when we return back to civilization. Well, I will conclude for now and want to thank all of you for supporting us will we are away. Take care anglers and good fishing....
  • wellcraftwellcraft Posts: 1,333 Officer
    good job out there in the tugas guys
    paypallogo.png
    Vertical jigs, Trolling lures, and more! Click the logo!

All V-Series High Speed Wahoo Lures
    http://victorylures.com/trolling-lures/v-series.html

Face Book Page for Victory Lures
    http://www.facebook.com/VictoryLures

Visit My Blog
    www.averticalthought.com
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,396 Officer
    stangman wrote: »
    Thank all of you for the updated reports. There are a group of us currently serving our country in Afghanistan and we look forward to the posts on Yankee Capt fishing trips. We are unable to access Facebook, so we look forward to the posts on the YK site (Capt Greg, can you help us out with that. Accessing your site is easiest for us. Thanks) or where-ever we can find them. We have reservations for the 4 Day Pulley Ridge/Rankin Ridge trip on the end of July - beginning of Aug and we are all truly excited with anticipation of that trip. We will be driving down from Ft. Bragg when we return back to civilization. Well, I will conclude for now and want to thank all of you for supporting us will we are away. Take care anglers and good fishing....

That's awesome. Thanks for your service and I hope you guys tear them up at Rankin Ridge.
  • XafXaf Posts: 955 Officer
    stangman, Thanks for your service. :applause Hope you have a great Rankin Ridge trip. Post or pm if you have any questions about the boat, fishing, gear needed, etc. If I can't answer them I'm sure someone will.
  • HooganHoogan Right on the edge of the EvergladesPosts: 515 Officer
    Xaf wrote: »

" Forgot to add one incident. Thought several people were going to lose their lunch when Art (another regular) ate a bait squid on a bet. We were told you could hear the people around him gagging all the way over at the Hogfish"

Xaf,
    Great post, glad you guys had pleasant weather and good catchin!
    Last but not least.... LOL
    There are two YC regulars that share the name "Art" ( the one mentioned above that ate the squid....)
    And the other Art (yours kindly) aka Hoogan who would not eat no frikin' boat-bait squid if his life depended on it.
    Always a circus act provided by the YC goers, can't wait 'til my next voyage aboard the red white and blue bus.
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,302 Officer
    Thanks for a great report Bob. The last pic of your son and his little fishing buddy is the best!
    Stangman, thank you for serving. Let me echo Bob...any questions or information you guys need, dont hesitate to ask.
    Art, anyone who knows you knows you ain't eatin no rotten bait squid!
  • HooganHoogan Right on the edge of the EvergladesPosts: 515 Officer
    Jake,
    It's been a long time, I know Dudley has been terrorizing the oceans but have not heard or seen you in a while, then again I've been out of the loop myself. I went back to my days as a gear head, been working on my Pro Street Mach 1.
    My next bus ride: drift fishing the Pulley Ridge banks for Muttons and shallow water grouper on July with Cudaman.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file