Show us your mug!

Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,180 Captain
So, I was telling a new forum member that an introduction might help folks warm up to him a bit, and realized the same could be said for most of us. The point of this thread is to make introductions a little less awkward, and maybe let us get to know each other a little better.

My name is Bill, I'm a retired Navy AT2. I presently work 3 days a week at a local fly shop and spend the majority of my time fishing. I've been living in Melbourne since 2002, before that I lived in N.C., Ga, and Pa. I do more surf and jetty fishing than anything else, and tarpon on foot is my absolute fav.

And I dig pistachio ice cream.

Replies

• SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 634 Officer
    My name is Dana, I'm a fleet mechanic for the last year and a half. Spent the last 30 years working for Ford dealerships, got tire'rd of the stress. Will be 54 in June. My wife says I need to work on my smile. From 1982, till 1997 I did lots of drag racing. Still have the car, hope to get back on track soon, if I could stop fishing it could happen, LOL. I fly fish for the fun of it. Nothing like catching a fish on something you tied. I don't drive more than 1.5 hours to fish, unless on vacation. I fish alone most of the time, can fish at my own pace that way with no pressure to put fish in the boat. Tarpon have been the flavor for the last couple of years. pistachio ice cream sucks, Bryers Chocolate chip rules!!!
  • darnhardheadsdarnhardheads Posts: 59 Deckhand
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,083 Officer
    I don't fish with a fly rod much anymore, arthritic shoulders, but I enjoy it. I have a few fly fishing pictures on my other computer which is 500 miles away. The first fishing rod I got was a Heddon Pal fly rod and Pfleuger Medalist reel when I was 10 and went to a fly tying and casting class at the local park. Living in N GA I mostly bass fish on lakes and in the local rivers. We have a place in Palmetto that I inshore fish during the early winter.

fishingsep19387.jpg
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,282 Officer
    I am Rick.....I was a shallow water and light tackle guide (2 boats) in the Keys, from the 70's, into the 90's. I was the first Keys guide admitted into the G.Loomis guides' program, about 1986 and after that was invited onto their pro staff. That ended when Gary sold the company to Shimano and Jose Wejebe took my place.

After guiding, I worked for Kraft Foods International and actually made some money! Now I'm retired and divide my time between Florida and the flats of Quintana Roo, Mexico.
    .......Rick
  • Manny G.Manny G. Posts: 32 Deckhand
    I am a retired healthcare provider in S. Broward, and not a fly fisherman, but it has crossed my mind a time or two, not sure if my neck and back could take the stress of the constant cast and retrieve involved with that type of fishing. I fish from the big O to the Everglades,fresh water, as well as inshore and offshore out of Ft. Lauderdale and the Keys....Maybe one day I'll give fly fishing a try.....Great pictures guys
  • Manny G.Manny G. Posts: 32 Deckhand
    Can't get that pic right side up.....:shrug
  • backbonebackbone Posts: 58 Deckhand
    4B4CC83D-31A1-42DD-8424-C1E8D57B24F3_zpsnzc7q9au.jpg

Hi, I am Greg and I am a Tarponalholic...
  • remo_5_0remo_5_0 Posts: 232 Deckhand
    Mike, live in Utah, I try to visit Florida as often as I can, plan on moving down in 3 years, I fly fish for trout mostly in the western states, but love the ocean flats!! Oh, and I like fine cigars!
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Posts: 1,007 Officer
    My name Jon Bull. I've been guiding in Tampa and Sarasota Bay on a part time basis for 13 years. For the past 4 years, I've been the Gulf Coast sales rep for Ankona Boats. Away from fishing, I am a full time middle school teacher.

RedFly #10 coming early January, 2016.

DSCN1683.jpg
    Capt. Jon Bull
    Shadowcast Charters
    Ankona Boats Sales Rep
    2018 Tavernier 17.....Coming Soon!!
    www.shadowcastcharters.com
  • dogman58dogman58 Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Marathon permit on the fly with Capt. Dave Kreshpane this past April ......
  • MwidnerMwidner Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    My name is Matt. I am a recent law school grad and lifelong nomad. Have lived in 6 states and 2 countries. The only constant in my life has been fishing. Started fishing lakes and rivers in upstate New York as small child and have been in love ever since. Began fly fishing in high school but am still very much a beginner. Moved to South Florida in the beginning of June and have become obsessed with saltwater fishing! Got my first saltwater fly outfit and will be out on the water this weekend to give it a go.
  • sunflowersunflower Posts: 413 Deckhand

don't hate me 'cuz I'm beautiful ...

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TyFogtTyFogt Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    My name is Tyler and I currently live in Gainesville for school, where I am struggling to find the relaxation of fishing that I've grown up to know in West Palm Beach FL. I started fly fishing around the age of 15 and I have only become more addicted since then. Saltwater fly is my preferred medium, so whenever I am in West Palm for the holidays you'll find me on the water. I can't seem to figure out fly fishing offshore, or in-shore for that matter lol but I put in the time and get lucky some times.

If anyone has hints or comments (or recommended locations) for fishing in Gainesville or West Palm please help a guy out haha.
  • MoflyrodderMoflyrodder Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    hello, I'm Dan. I'm retired and I live in Southwest Missouri. Love to fish, always have. Fly fished all my life and I fly fish for warmwater species in Missouri on Stockton Lake. My daughter lives in West Palm Beach so I visit Florida every year. I like to fly fish inland saltwater, limited experience. I joined this forum to learn. I have fished for tarpon and snook in Flamingo, Florida keys, and Venezuela.
  • BacklashBacklash Posts: 879 Officer
    Hey guys, here goes... Name is Mark, boats name is Backlash.
    Live in Key Largo with my happy little family and make a living by painting things. Ocean front homes, center consoles, fine wood finishes, flats skiffs, clear Awlgrip bartops, etc, etc. Have worked for other people for years, including IslaMarine as their glass and paint guy. Now in the process of starting my second company in attempt to make some real money.
    Love fly fishing, and free diving... Similar disciplines to me. Also love crawfish boils, blue crabs, Guinness, conch-anything, Kalik, good rum and even better cigars.
    I tie all my own flies, and enjoy the fact that most every time I go out I come back with more knowledge. I don't take myself too seriously, and love to fish with others who feel the same way...

Here I am around the turn of the century, using my chubby baby face to prevent people from buying the other guys magazine, lol
    image.jpg1_zpsfefnnywl.jpg

Here I am nowadays, waiting on my breakfast with my daughter
    image.jpg2_zpsdbtmievs.jpg
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    Yeap, thats me
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 Officer
    Kyjvrom.jpg
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • ejsellejsell Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    466d1862ef310767162e3c6e2f679602.jpg
    I've been lurking for a few months and thought I'd finally introduce myself. That's me hanging out with my youngest son at my alma mater homecoming football game last week. Little guy made it through the 3rd quarter. Anway, I actually live in NW Ohio but my younger brother moved to the Melbourne area a couple of years ago. While he doesn't like to fish, I love fly fishing. Summers I spend chasing smallmouth bass and winters steelhead and the occasional brown or rainbow. I've been down a couple of times to visit, the last time was early July this year and tried some surf fishing for the first time. I went out at dawn around the air base beaches most mornings over a week. I didn't have any luck but didn't see anyone else catching anything either so I didn't feel bad about it and enjoyed watching the sun rises with the dophins. Coming back down for another visit over Thanksgiving week and hoping to wet my line again and learn more about salt fishing. If anyone needs any advice about Steelhead Alley (Michigan, Ohio or PA) feel free to ask. I know just enough to be dangerous. :cool:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • TieOneOnTieOneOn Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Howdy all,

I'm brand new to the forum so I figured I would take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Tom and I live in Jacksonville, FL. I’m an attorney, and more specifically, a prosecutor, but I only work to afford to fish (and to keep my lovely wife happy). I mainly fish out of my 15’4” Gheenoe and, when we’re lucky enough up here in Jax, on foot in a few select places for the flood tides. I’ve lived in Florida my whole life and I’ve been fortunate enough to call Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Orlando, and now Jacksonville home. I thank my luck stars every day that my folks put a fishing pole in my hand at an early age and I would call myself a lifelong angler.

If I’m not flailing about with my buggy-whip and knotting up perfectly good leaders, you’ll probably find me behind my vise gluing feather and fur to finger. I tie all my own flies but I steal most my ideas from other tiers that are more creative (and talented than me). Outside of fishing, my hobbies include golf, surfing, being disappointed by the Miami Dolphins, smoking meat, and drinking good bourbon.

E.T. Brown summed up my philosophy on fishing rather aptly when he said “When men go fishing, it is not really the fish they are after.” That’s probably mostly because I do much more “fishing” than I do “catching,” but nothing makes me happier than enjoying a beautiful day on the water with fish being a nice bonus. I’m always happy when I get back to the boat ramp with more knowledge in my brain than I left with, and less water in the boat than in the river. If anyone is ever interested in heading out and sharing some knowledge, some laughs, and some frustration, then I’m your man.
  • LighthouseKipLighthouseKip Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    My name is Kip. My dad got me into fly fishing when I was about 10 years old, and I've been a junkie ever since. I grew up chasing native brook trout in mountain streams, and surf fishing for stripers. I moved to Lighthouse Point a few years ago, and now spend my time chasing tarpon and snook (or really anything that swims) from my kayak. I try tying my own flies, but they all look like a hot mess! In between fishing trips, I am a Project Manager for a pool builder. I like good cigars, good bourbon, and craft beer. I love living in Florida, and am always looking for new places to throw lines, and people to have beers with after.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,180 Captain
    Yeap, thats me

I got one too : )
  • TgrassTgrass Posts: 198 Deckhand
    My Mug
  • remo_5_0remo_5_0 Posts: 232 Deckhand
    Tgrass wrote: »
    My Mug

I see what you did there.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    My name is Ryan and I live in Homestead, FL. Been in FL 15 years (I'm 37) and I told my family who all live in Atlanta that I will leave...in a box.

I absolutely love it here. From Homestead I can fish Biscayne Bay, Flamingo, Chokoloskee, and the Keys depending on what the weather and bite are doing.

I could only find bass buddies at first but 5 years ago I converted to what I had always wanted to do in the first place: salt, and almost exclusively on artificials. About 9 months ago I started fooling around with the fly rod and now I finally found my religion!

I pretty much only do fly now. Got more gear than I should for someone of my tenure but unlike some I'm out there using it at least once and often twice a week or more, even though I work a full time corporate job in supply chain and logistics. (I was fishing in a canal by the office at lunch yesterday)

I have an Egret 189, a HB Professional (both in ice blue) and a Kevlar canoe. They all get good use and I feel blessed by my level of access to South FL's playgrounds! If you see me out there, say hello!

7bf673ddde99fce50424e0306bc6018c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • FlippinfoolFlippinfool Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Hey Y'all,

People think I'm a freshwater dude, but I love to fish inshore and near shore too. I fish the St. John's and Econ River regularly. I also enjoy the Indian River Lagoon, and mosquito from time to time. From May to September I am consumed by tarpon. That's about all for me, nice to meet y'all.
    It only takes one bite to turn a bad day into a great one.
  • FlippinfoolFlippinfool Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Really nice red. I fish out of Flamingo in Dec. but I can't find the reds. Lots of snook but never saw a red school. Do you have any tips?
    It only takes one bite to turn a bad day into a great one.
  • brpbrp Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    My name is Bill, I just got back into fly fishing after about a 10 year break. So I'm about 10 years older than this now. I live in Ormond Beach and fish that area mostly. The pic here is from up near St Augustine..

Here's me after 10 more years of beer drinking :-)

Other hobbies are a 1968 Lemans, Brewing Beer and home improvement.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file