GoPro video... it's MY turn now!

I finally gathered enough footage with my GoPro camera to put together a video. It's been about 6 years since I last messed with iMovie. It was the '04 version back then. I'm thoroughly impressed by the improvements in iMovie'11! It's amazingly powerful for a $15 entry-level DV editor.

About the video: It's mostly a collection of experiments with the GoPro. The first scenes were captured by strapping the camera to a downrigger ball and slow-trolling inside Boca Inlet. Most of the rest of the footage was taken from the end of a custom-made handle pieced together from a rod butt, tripod head, and a wooden dowel. The deep-dropping scenes took a lot of cojones. The camera was strapped to a 5lb sash weight and fired down almost to its 200ft crush depth. To my knowledge, nobody has done that before with a GoPro cam!

Yes, the video is a bit long (just over 6 minutes) and starts kinda mellow, but I tried to keep it interesting all the way through with creative editing and a funky song. Enjoy!

Video link >> http://vimeo.com/29657281
[video=vimeo;29657281]
Meanwhile, on the little fiberglass boat Uncle Buck...

Replies

• BeermanBeerman Posts: 696 Officer
    Good stuff!!
    Words of Wisdom: Many a problem will solve itself, if we forget it and go fishing or hunting!!

image.php?u=77&type=sigpic&dateline=1307501811
  • jupitersailfishjupitersailfish Posts: 220 Officer
    That was awesome! With the luck I've had deep dropping, I won't be trying that with mine hahaha
    Kill Swordy :fishing
    boat.jpg
  • Uncle BuckUncle Buck Posts: 1,188 Officer
    Creative editing. ;) The rosies were at 850ft, but I didn't let the camera go beyond 200. But yeah... I was a bit nervous doing it!

FYI: The first scenes were shot using the factory GoPro curved lens, which is known to cause distortion underwater. That's why the inlet scenes are a bit fuzzy. I purchased a "Flat Lens Housing (pro version)" made by Eye-of-Mine, which solved the underwater focus problem for the rest of the footage.
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,400 Captain
    Sweet video, it was cool to see what the bottom of Boca Inlet looked liked. The pics of you dropping the camera down on the deep drop rigs was dizzying wacthing them spin as they went up and down. Also nice work with creative editing for those shots. Gutsy move dropping that expensive camera down 200 ft but well worth it for the shots.

I am thinking about getting a GoPro and some editing software. Just curious as to how long something like that took to make? Being that your a pro i know it will take me longer to do less quatliy work.
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • Bite N HoldBite N Hold Posts: 1,328 Officer
    Pretty cool video!!!!
    FOR SALE-Old Homosassa Vacation Rental
    http://www.vrbo.com/105186

"No matter the size of the fish, you can only put a bite size peice in your mouth."
    Century7... I'm using a fairly modern/powerful Mac. The latest iMovie software is only $15. I don't know what's available for PC, if that's what you're using. I'm no pro at video editing, but I do claim to being creative and technically savvy with digital arts in general. For me, including processing time, the project took about 10 hours start to finish, with no real plan to start with. I just started piecing things together to the music as it felt right. The hardest part was acquiring the footage! Now I've used up almost everything I had, so it's back to the acquisition stage. It'll probably be a few more months before I can put another video together! haha bummer
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,344 Admiral
    **** Bill, that ladyfish looked awesome! Felt like burning some incense with the music
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,400 Captain
    Thanks for the info UB. I am a PC user and still refuse tomake the switch to Apple.

For those of you that are on Facebook, if you go to GoPro page you can actually registar to win one with a ton of accessories. They are giving one away everyday.
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • bullchaserbullchaser Posts: 930 Officer
    sweet vid brotha!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Boo's CruiseBoo's Cruise Posts: 63 Deckhand
    That was cool, Buck!
    century7 wrote: »
    For those of you that are on Facebook, if you go to GoPro page you can actually registar to win one with a ton of accessories. They are giving one away everyday.

You can enter every day on the http://www.gopro.com website too.

Hi Boo! cheerleader.gif
  • VenturesomeVenturesome Posts: 1,743 Officer
    nicely done buck. gives me some great ideas for my shots............looking forward to using final cut on this kind of stuff !!!
    2392.jpg
  • TrollaltdeleteTrollaltdelete Posts: 643 Officer
    Very nice video. Makes me want to get offshore.

Was that a manatee in the first clip? Looked like it
    Take out your boat, make a memory!
  • copout@castawayscopout@castaways Posts: 5,779 Officer
    excellent video UB! that swimming ladyfish was very tasty looking.
    I'd be very curious to see how far down you could drop that before it implodes or loses enough light to capture an image....
    Thanks for taking the time to put it together.
  • FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,261 Officer
    Whats floating off that rock 58 seconds into the vid? Looks like it's attached with some sort of line.
    "FISHUNTR"- 2012 20' Pathfinder, Yamaha F150, HDS gen 3 9T
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,618 Captain
    Love the video.
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,428 Admiral
    Buck,

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME

Man.. that was great action you got out of that ladyfish! :applause

That was a really gutsy move sending the cam down that deep.

How did you attach the go pro to the downrigger ball. That is a great idea.

Thanks again for one cool video. :Rockon

Cheers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • Enough AlreadyEnough Already Posts: 82 Deckhand
    Very cool. I even purchased the song on itunes!
  • Capt M BrennanCapt M Brennan Posts: 488 Officer
    Where is the link to see the vid?
    Captain Mike Brennan
  • Boo's CruiseBoo's Cruise Posts: 63 Deckhand
    Uncle Buck wrote: »
    You can enter every day on the http://www.gopro.com website too.

Hi Boo! cheerleader.gif

We need to fish :angel
  • The NickoThe Nicko Posts: 475 Deckhand
    That was a cool video.. Coming back in through the Boynton Inlet looked calm for once...!
  • Enough AlreadyEnough Already Posts: 82 Deckhand
    Where is the link to see the vid?
    Capt M - I have the same issue - just a big white space where it should be. I right clicked the white space and had the option to view in Vimeo and it worked.
    Not sure what the problem is. Maybe your browser is ignoring the embedded video image? The link is: http://vimeo.com/29657281
  • TrollaltdeleteTrollaltdelete Posts: 643 Officer
    I noticed that if you embed a video using the video tag, then it does not show when viewed with an Ipad. If you have a link, then you can view it with the Ipad.
    Take out your boat, make a memory!
  • ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,064 Captain
    VERY COOL UB:applause
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I noticed that if you embed a video using the video tag, then it does not show when viewed with an Ipad. If you have a link, then you can view it with the Ipad.

Gotcha. I added the link to my original post.
  • BocaBocaBocaBoca Posts: 606 Officer
    WOW, what a thrill ride and no ticket required. Thanks for taking the time to put this together and post! :applause
  • Native FloridianNative Floridian Posts: 702 Officer
    Great video UB.
    I just got the latest Gopro and headed down to Islamorada tomorrow until Tuesday to figure the thing out.
    Thanks for sharing!
    P8260478.jpgPB300094-1.jpg
    NF... Since you just got your cam, you probably haven't replaced the rounded lens for a flat one yet. I HIGHLY recommend doing so if you're going to use it underwater. It's okay without it, but expect to be disappointed with the underwater video quality until you replace the lens.

The blurry focus underwater is a known problem. According to GoPro, the HERO was not intended to be used for underwater video, even though it is capable. That's why they haven't addressed the focus problem... yet. You'll need either the Eye-of-Mine Flat Lens Housing or a replacement lens kit from MAKO Spearguns. Either option will fix the focus underwater.
    Was that a manatee in the first clip? Looked like it

Yep. I didn't even know it was there until I reviewed the video hours later at home. That's the drawback of a self-contained video system. There's no way to see what the lens is capturing in real-time when it's hanging below the boat. I've since added the BacPac LCD screen which allows me to aim and review footage on-site. Very useful!

The manatee wasn't the only interesting thing down there. The camera also captured an eagle ray, filefish, a large porcupine puffer, french angelfish, blue tangs, schools of snappers, lookdowns, and damselfish, several tires, numerous abandoned castnets... there's just a ton of stuff in that inlet. Too bad it's dangerous and unlawful to snorkel or dive there.
    FISHHUNTR wrote: »
    Whats floating off that rock 58 seconds into the vid?

Not sure. Probably an old sabiki rig that snagged some little floating thing before it snagged the bottom.
    How did you attach the go pro to the downrigger ball.

Low-tech. Zip-ties. But without any sort of stabilizing fin, there's no way to control the direction of the camera. The little bit of usable inlet video I gathered was pared down from nearly 30 minutes of footage. I'm in the process of building a towable torpedo-like platform for the GoPro, which will open up a bunch of filming possibilities.

Side note: The GoPro's microphone captured the sound of the downrigger cable. At just a couple knots, that thing screams like a banshee! Maybe that's the secret to why downriggers and wire lines seem to work so well. :shrug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file