Smoked Oysters

I could use some help. I want to try to smoke some oysters tomorrow but have never done it before and can use information. Anyone do this before? What tempature, how long, whole or opened? Any information would be helpful.
Thanks
the Capt'n.
Specializing in poor life choices since 1954.

Replies

• KyleStyleKyleStyle Posts: 426 Deckhand
    I am a fan of oysters. Growing up, we ate them raw, steamed, baked with stuff on 'em, roasted on the grill and smoked. Smoked oysters were always made the day after the party with the leftover oysters that were picked over for being too large to slide down the gullet in one slurp. You need large meats because they reduce in size about 50%.

1- Shuck oysters
    2- dunk shucked oysters in boiling water until the edges start to curl up and the meats firm a little, but are still raw-ish. 10- 15 seconds
    3- oysters on the smoker *we used one of those mesh fry spatter shields to lay the oysters on. This also keeps them drier on the outside
    4- lots of smoke- seems like we always had orange, grapefruit or black mangrove
    5- the meats will brown from the smoke, more so on the edges
    6- they're done when they're firm in the middle, but moist. If it's jelly in the middle it's not ready. Don't over cook.
  • Capt'n. ChumbucketCapt'n. Chumbucket Posts: 1,366 Officer
    Thanx KS.
    I also found some info on Google (FWIW). Rescheduled for next weekend. I'll let you know outcome.
    Specializing in poor life choices since 1954.
  • 001001 Posts: 4,292 Officer
    Put them on a regular grill whole until they pop and eat them right away. Dont let them dry out. I think I will have to get a bushel soon.
  • donald811donald811 Posts: 479 Officer
    001 wrote: »
    Put them on a regular grill whole until they pop and eat them right away. Dont let them dry out. I think I will have to get a bushel soon.
    This with a bowl of melted butter-lemon juice- garlic, dump them in it when you remove from shell.:hungry
    Life is a lot simpler when you plow around the stump.
  • captainjtsmithcaptainjtsmith Posts: 56 Deckhand
    smoke 'em in the shell... then open and top w/ butter, blackening spice, garlic and parmesian cheese.... and grill till cheese melts.... um um good....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file