Crab traps, how many use them for recreational purposes?

I've have been recently considering using some crab traps for bait purposes, if some of you use them, what are the pros and cons? are there any considerations to make such as the obvious of staying out of the commercial guys lines? I've looked into the legal stuff and other requirements, just want to hear some opinions. Thanks!

Replies

• ElementElement Posts: 1,749 Officer
    When I lived on a creek there were zero cons. Fish scraps went in trap, trap went off the dock, life went on, checked traps, crabs went in boiling water.

I found that trailering presented too much of a hassle if you need crabs for bait. I did it once or twice and it was inconvenient and inconsistent enough to never do it again.

It's way easier just buying a few crabs than dealing with the mess, hassle and effort or dropping traps UNLESS you live on the water or otherwise have access to drop and check your traps without a boat being involved.
  • samsiam74samsiam74 Posts: 2,215 Officer
    I love them and usually have a couple soaking myself... Make sure you put rebar in the bottom or they will be swept away... Not sure if bricks work just as well because I've never tried it but you've gotta have them weighed down or you'll never see 'em again! :)
  • WildLinesWildLines Posts: 548 Officer
    samsiam74 wrote: »
    I love them and usually have a couple soaking myself... Make sure you put rebar in the bottom or they will be swept away... Not sure if bricks work just as well because I've never tried it but you've gotta have them weighed down or you'll never see 'em again! :)

even in the creeks off the intracoastal? I just got 5 setup and my son and I plan to set out this week.
  • samsiam74samsiam74 Posts: 2,215 Officer
    Yes... The current will carry them away . Lost a few myself before Rusty at B&M told me why I was losing them. They may stay for a while but when that current starts ripping one time, they're gone.
  • DemereDemere Posts: 1,464 Officer
    I put traps in off my dock every couple of weeks or so. Like others I save fish scraps and "trash" fish to bait the traps. Usually do pretty well. Recreational crabbers get 5 traps. I only use 3 - all I need. There are size limits etc so be sure to check out the regs.
  • tagtag Posts: 8,733 Admiral
    Chances of your recreational crab traps still being there after the comm guy come through are slim to none.
    tag wrote: »
    Chances of your recreational crab traps still being there after the comm guy come through are slim to none.
    Thats true. They're very "protective" of their area and will pull any traps they find. I've seen them pull up to private docks (like mine) and rob the traps. They scream bloody murder if someone goes near their traps.
  • ChillyChilly Posts: 479 Deckhand
    I have had several in the St. Johns. It is interesting though... somehow the jack fish i put in there for bait became a ladyfish when i checked it and there werent any crabs...
  • 3ofakind3ofakind Posts: 76 Deckhand
    After catching several stone crabs while flounder fishing last year I decided to invest in some. I bought 10, 5 for me and 5 for my daughter Alexa. We had fun pouring the cement floors and carving our names. I put all 10 out with her on a Tuesday and we came back Friday after a 3 day soak. We recovered 2 of our 10 traps. It was very dishearteninG.
  • mikeg32225mikeg32225 Posts: 548 Officer
    Is there a best time of the year for blue crabs?
    A worst time?
    Thanks
    Mike
    mikeg32225 wrote: »
    Is there a best time of the year for blue crabs?
    A worst time?
    Thanks
    Mike
    Spring thru fall with fall being the best. Once the water cools off (winter) I never get much in my traps. I figure they're hunkered down in the mud. Lots of egg bearing females in the spring.
  • N The WaterN The Water Posts: 106 Officer
    tag wrote: »

Most crabbers will not mess with recreational crab traps.Their crabbing permit is worth more to them then a few dozen crabs or a few traps.That doesn't mean it doesn't happen sometimes,I would put my money on recreational fishermen more likely.Just saying, why would they steal something they build ?
    3ofakind wrote: »
    After catching several stone crabs while flounder fishing last year I decided to invest in some. I bought 10, 5 for me and 5 for my daughter Alexa. We had fun pouring the cement floors and carving our names. I put all 10 out with her on a Tuesday and we came back Friday after a 3 day soak. We recovered 2 of our 10 traps. It was very dishearteninG.

You can only have 5 traps a person or boat. No more than 10 gallons of crabs per person are boat.The cement doesn't do anything to stop people from stealing traps.I knew a crabber who had 250 traps stole in 1 night,he had cement in his traps did nothing for him.People steal crabs and traps all the time.No need for us to point fingers both sides do it all the time.Just be careful with having more then 5 traps at a time,LEO can write you a ticket for it.They will because of using the same boat to run them.This is also the case with docks too.I know a guy who had 5 traps and his wife had 5 traps on their dock.Guess who got a ticket when he pulled them ?
  • 3ofakind3ofakind Posts: 76 Deckhand
    Here is a link to the FWC stone crab regulations http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/stone-crabs/, it clearly states 5 traps per person, furthermore it shows a limit of 1 gallon per person or 2 gallons per boat. The cement is not to deter theft, it is how a stone crab trap is set up.
  • chronicbreakchronicbreak Posts: 634 Officer
    Most crabbers will not mess with recreational crab traps.Their crabbing permit is worth more to them then a few dozen crabs or a few traps.That doesn't mean it doesn't happen sometimes,I would put my money on recreational fishermen more likely.Just saying, why would they steal something they build ?

^^^this. On the other hand you'd be surprised to know how often a rec fisherman will molest a commercial trap. You know the "they have so many and won't miss a few" scenario.
    National Marine Fisheries Service
    DESTROYING FISHERMEN AND THEIR COMMUNITIES SINCE 1976
    3ofakind wrote: »
    Here is a link to the FWC stone crab regulations http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/stone-crabs/, it clearly states 5 traps per person, furthermore it shows a limit of 1 gallon per person or 2 gallons per boat. The cement is not to deter theft, it is how a stone crab trap is set up.

I was thinking about blue crabs.Yes,you are right.Just looking out for fellow fishermen and fishing women.Pig feet as bait works the best for stone crabs.:willynilly
    ^^^this. On the other hand you'd be surprised to know how often a rec fisherman will molest a commercial trap. You know the "they have so many and won't miss a few" scenario.

That is so true.They also will not close them up the right way.It' just a little bait crabs or I am taking one of their crab traps.:wink What will it hurt?:huh They will just think it is another crabber.:grin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file