Question for butt experts

If I smoke a couple of butts 2 days before an event to be heated up on the day of the event, would you pull the butts at the time I take them off the smoker or would you leave them whole for when I reheat them in a crock pot and then pull them after they are reheated. Thank you in advance Abelman Flash and you other experts.

Replies

• charlie tunacharlie tuna Posts: 730 Officer
    I fully cook mine for pulling, internal of 195 to 200 degrees --double wrap them in heavy foil and stick them in a cooler for two hours --- then into the refrigerator whole. I have never used a crock pot to heat them up, always an oven and set the stat around 300 degrees --still in the foil --- when the whole house begins to smell like pork -- they are ready for pulling. Usually a little over an hour.....
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    I'd pull after smoking and have everything ready to go, just add heat.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 Officer
    I fully cook mine for pulling, internal of 195 to 200 degrees --double wrap them in heavy foil and stick them in a cooler for two hours --- then into the refrigerator whole. I have never used a crock pot to heat them up, always an oven and set the stat around 300 degrees --still in the foil --- when the whole house begins to smell like pork -- they are ready for pulling. Usually a little over an hour.....

I do the exact same thing, except I cook them @ 170 for 8 hours. I leave them wrapped in the oven, pull them when I take them out. There's a little more leeway at the lower temp. IMHO, pulling it after it's cooked and then reheating it will dry it out.
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
    I cook butts "low and slow" -- meaning 230 degrees until an internal temperature of 195 to 200 degrees is reached. Due to Abelman's posts here i had to have a Green Egg which due to it's design maintains a constant cooking temperature. For many years i was a "Webber Guy" and thought i could cook butts pretty darn good and consistant. Little did i know how crude a method the Webber really was!! The first two butts i cooked on the egg took 22 hours to go from 52 internal degrees to the prescribed 195 degrees for "pulled pork". Now i had never sat down and figured when to start the cooking THE DAY BEFORE i needed it??? WHAT? Now each butt is different and will rerquire more or less cooking time mainly a factor of the amount of fat inside the butt. Without KNOWING what the internal temperature is when cooking butts is pure "quesswork". And for those years cooking with my two Webbers --- looking back ---- was guesswork! Sometimes the butts were better than others,moisture,bark,smoke ring..... But using this ceramic cooker and cooking to internal temperatures means excellent foods everytime! The reason i double wrap in foil and place in a cooler is to allow the moisture, which is flavor, to return that moisture back into the butt. And it will remain there until the butt is "pulled". When you cook a butt for 20 plus hours, and you reach your target temperature, you really need a large spatchula to remove it from the grill, because it is like a chunk of JELLO. Many times ,using a fork or forks, the butt would fall apart.. By holding the butt whole -- i see no difference in moisture and texture as a butt cooked the same day. I have cooked for parties over 250 people and this system works. Another thing is to remember, that butt with double foil wrapped in a couple of towels, then stuck in a cooler, will remain "steaming" hot for up to six hours if kept closed. This gives you a lot of leway and allows you to finish your cook early without worrying about "serving times"...... Thanks Again to Abelman for educating me on this type of cooking.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,024 AG
    Simple. Go ahead and fully smoke them and pull them. Then vacuum seal and freeze. To re-heat, get a large pot of water and set it on the stove set to boil, throw in the packets of pulled pork and boil it till soft and read to serve. EZPZ

My wife just throws the pulled pork into a pot and adds sauce. Never dry this way either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • rbricklerbrickle Posts: 239 Officer
    If I smoke a couple of butts 2 days before an event to be heated up on the day of the event, would you pull the butts at the time I take them off the smoker or would you leave them whole for when I reheat them in a crock pot and then pull them after they are reheated. Thank you in advance Abelman Flash and you other experts.

I smoke pork butts just like charlietuna, on a BGE. I would leave them whole double wrapped also since it will only be a couple days before reheating. They will retain all the moisture they had when wrapped. Don't forget to add some apple juice or other liquid before wrapping though. For freezing Flash has the best way. Can't go wrong vacuum sealing. And reheat is simple.
    The Forgotten Coast

PICT0143-1.jpg
  • Gasman1Gasman1 Posts: 108 Officer
    rbrickle wrote: »
    I smoke pork butts just like charlietuna, on a BGE. I would leave them whole double wrapped also since it will only be a couple days before reheating. They will retain all the moisture they had when wrapped. Don't forget to add some apple juice or other liquid before wrapping though. For freezing Flash has the best way. Can't go wrong vacuum sealing. And reheat is simple.

Adding the apple juice before wrapping is a new one for me. Since they retain the moisture anyway what does adding the apple juice or other liquid do for the meat. Would you do this every time or just due to the fact that the meat is to be stored for a couple of days before pulling.
    Gasman1 wrote: »
    Adding the apple juice before wrapping is a new one for me. Since they retain the moisture anyway what does adding the apple juice or other liquid do for the meat. Would you do this every time or just due to the fact that the meat is to be stored for a couple of days before pulling.

I aways add some apple juice or other liquid like chicken stock. The amount depends on the fat content of the butts being smoked and when they will be pulled, now or days from now. Remember this liquid can be used as a dipping sauce, a gravy base, or drizzled over potatoe's and other veggies.
    The Forgotten Coast

PICT0143-1.jpg
  • Capt'n. ChumbucketCapt'n. Chumbucket Posts: 1,366 Officer
    I always wanted an Egg... until now. 22HOURS! I just don't have time to schedule around a dinner like that. I guess I'll be happy with my old Char-Broil side burner and the 8 to 10 hour cook time.
    But, hey, that's just me.
    Specializing in poor life choices since 1954.
    Well you can do a butt in 8 to ten hours on the Egg --- just won't have all the moisture inside --when you pull it, you wil find fat instead. Been there-Done that !! It was all new to me too!!! But when you plan it out --load your coal --stabilize the temperature -- put your meat on and walk away. Sure makes your yard smell great and drives the neighbors crazy. Like i said, i cooked on Webber kettle grills for many years and thought i knew what i was doing... And at family re-unions we would cook on big wood fired grills. Nothing like the pork produced by "low and slow" and that just happens to require more time to break the fat down into flavor. Consider cooking seven - eight pound butts and pull all seven butts with maybe two cups of fat to remove from the finished product. Bar-B-Que pork is good food and some is better than others, but if you want it to be consistantly good, you need to cook "low and slow".
    Well you can do a butt in 8 to ten hours on the Egg --- just won't have all the moisture inside --when you pull it, you wil find fat instead. Been there-Done that !! It was all new to me too!!! But when you plan it out --load your coal --stabilize the temperature -- put your meat on and walk away. Sure makes your yard smell great and drives the neighbors crazy. Like i said, i cooked on Webber kettle grills for many years and thought i knew what i was doing... And at family re-unions we would cook on big wood fired grills. Nothing like the pork produced by "low and slow" and that just happens to require more time to break the fat down into flavor. Consider cooking seven - eight pound butts and pull all seven butts with maybe two cups of fat to remove from the finished product. Bar-B-Que pork is good food and some is better than others, but if you want it to be consistantly good, you need to cook "low and slow".

Dam, really? I do butts and other meats consistently at 6 to 9 hours and they are plenty juicy. All of my stuff is done on an old ECB or GOSM propane conversion. Temps usually range from 225 to 275. My last 8 lb butt took 9 1/2 hours, by raising the temps to 295º after wrapping it in foil. Juicy as all get out. Nothing wrong with smoking for 22 hours, but my wife or my stomach would kill me by then. :grin

SevenBoneChuck049.jpg

SevenBoneChuck048.jpg

Ribsreadygrill072A.jpg

Pulled014.jpg

ChickenMoist0081.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

charlie tuna, I think the best boston butts I ever smoked I forgot to take off the BGE. They had smoked for about 8 hours and I fell asleep. After about sixteen hours total time I found the BGE hovering at 190° and I had to take two spatulas to get the meat ff the grate. My average time is about 8 hours then wrapped for a few hours.
    The Forgotten Coast

PICT0143-1.jpg
    Heck , after looking at Flash's pictures i'm gonna sell this Egg and just go by his house, he doesn't live that far away !!

1) My webber Days
    2) Green Egg Days
    3) Pulled Egg Pork
    "charlie tuna, I think the best boston butts I ever smoked I forgot to take off the BGE. They had smoked for about 8 hours and I fell asleep. After about sixteen hours total time I found the BGE hovering at 190° and I had to take two spatulas to get the meat ff the grate. My average time is about 8 hours then wrapped for a few hours."

Same thing happened to me when i used to cook on a Webber. Got involved in a job i couldn't finish and i had loaded the Webber up with charcoal and expected to be back in six hours -- well i returned 14 hours later -- and i expected to go out to eat ---- i opened the Webber and there sat the best pork i had ever done !! It had a clear crust on the outside --and it broke open like an egg ---moist and tender !!
    Heck , after looking at Flash's pictures i'm gonna sell this Egg and just go by his house, he doesn't live that far away !!

1) My webber Days
    2) Green Egg Days
    3) Pulled Egg Pork

:rotflmao
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1) My webber Days
    2) Green Egg Days
    3) Pulled Egg Pork

:rotflmao

Hey, how long have you had those Bear Claws?? Saw a guy on smokingmeatsforum stating they were junk and that the tips of his actually melted "whiling" pulling pork. :willynilly
    Can't figure that. :rolleyes I've had my set for atleast two years and minus some tips bending a bit, have had not issues with them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• spinfreakspinfreak Posts: 5,204 Officer
    Flash wrote: »
    Simple. Go ahead and fully smoke them and pull them. Then vacuum seal and freeze. To re-heat, get a large pot of water and set it on the stove set to boil, throw in the packets of pulled pork and boil it till soft and read to serve. EZPZ.

I might not agree with Flash about some points on smoking, but this I agree with. It's the best way to go :beer
    Exiled Dungeon Master of The Freakshow :cool:
    YOU NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP! Seriously. Do it for yourself and loved ones. You have issues
    Those "bear claws" are a couple of years old. But i had another set that the ends melted, but because i misused them for picking up grills, pots, and "stuff", but they still worked. Actually i use them more for removing things from the grill. They give you full control, almost like using your own hands. I had a buddy burn his hands bad when removing a finished turkey from his webber. The grill shifted and he instinctively grabbed the turkey from falling to the ground.. A nasty burn ! The bear claws are cheap, i think twelve bucks or so..
  • tfranko29tfranko29 Posts: 62 Deckhand
    I want everyone to try to smoke hotter and shorter, after 2-4 hours of smoke, go ahead and wrap in foil and continue cooking until you reach your target temp. 208 F for me. I've been smoking at 325-375 F, gets 'em done in record time, around 4+ hours. I have a CharBroil side fire box, I gotta use hardwood lump charcoal to acheive the high heat. Kreuz BBQ in Lockhart, Texas smokes beef shoulder clods(butts) at around 500 F! and they get done in about 5 hours!
    Many of our family re-unions are cooked at higher temperatures since we are cooking different products on a large grill, and yes, this works too. But we found the butts finish with a(what i call "crust") dry thickness of meat on the outside of the butt. And i personnelly like the taste of this "crust". But we are aiming at "pulled pork" not chunks. And i think this is just the high heat drying out the outside of the butt. With a low and slow cooked butt to target temperatures around 210 degrees, the butt finishes with very little "crust" if any? You can actually, pull the bone out and squish the butt with your high temperature gloved hands into the serving tray. A very small amount of the moisture is lost during the low and slow process.
    Now if you want to cook a butt fast try "CARNITAS" -- you cook a cut up butt into shredded pork in three hours or less! You cook it in orange juice and spices in a covered cast iron pot for one hour, then uncover it and continue cooking at 350 degrees -- it falls apart fast.. This is good on tacos or rolls. You actually cook the pork til it's crispy!!
    tfranko29 wrote: »
    I want everyone to try to smoke hotter and shorter, after 2-4 hours of smoke, go ahead and wrap in foil and continue cooking until you reach your target temp. 208 F for me. I've been smoking at 325-375 F, gets 'em done in record time, around 4+ hours. I have a CharBroil side fire box, I gotta use hardwood lump charcoal to acheive the high heat. Kreuz BBQ in Lockhart, Texas smokes beef shoulder clods(butts) at around 500 F! and they get done in about 5 hours!

The only problem with this is you seriously cut down your drinking time by the smoker :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you do try to do a faster cook time, i.e higher temp, you have to be careful to not get too close the the firebox hole. Otherwise like CharlieTuna commented, you can get crispy pork near the firebox side of the butt. I do rotate the butt every hour, the foil wrap after 2 hours is key I believe to a moist and fast cook time.
    Like Flash said, "faster cook times cut down on "smoker" drinking times." I think that's the fun of cooking at home, preparing food and drinks for family and friends.
    So a quick question for BBQ TV show fans. I've seen a champ shoulder smoker named Myron Mixon from Jack's Old South restaurant in Vienna, GA. He injects his pork shoulders prior to smoking. I've tried Mojo and it gives the pork a decidely Latino flavor, not what I'm after for pulled southern pork. I'm wondering if people know what Myron might be using.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file