Am I in trouble????

I dropped my boat (2014 24' Skeeter) off this week to get serviced. I also told them that floor compartment wasn't draining well and ask them to look into it. I went to pick it up today and they told me they screwed up big time. When drilling a hole into the drain line cap (they said the pipe was capped, therefore the lack of draining) they drilled directly into the fuel tank. So I walked up to my boat being filthy and fuel spilling everywhere. I immediately left and told them to call me when it was fixed.
My question is: Will they have to replace the complete fuel tank or do you guys think they will just try to patch it?

Replies

• Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,017 AG
    I would hope they would replace it. What is the tank made of?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • Ketch-upKetch-up Posts: 305 Officer
    I would think they will just patch it and hope you don't know any different. I would go by every day and take a look at it and "see how they are progressing" just so you will know what they try to get away with. Might even take a camera with you to document everything. Just my.02 worth.
  • FishingAddictFishingAddict Posts: 170 Deckhand
    If they know what they are doing, it seems like a patch would be fine. That being said, I don't know if they know what they are doing if they drilled into it to start with.

To start with, ask them what their plans are to fix it.
  • LimeyLimey Posts: 454 Deckhand
    A 2014 with a hole in the fuel tank. I would come unglued on these people. They would be replacing the fuel tank and fully detailing the boat.
    Carolina Skiff 238 DLV. 140 Suk
  • TheonethatgotawayTheonethatgotaway Posts: 93 Deckhand
    Most fuel tanks can't be patched. They will have to remove it from the boat, drain it, and have a patch welded over the hole. If it's an aluminum fuel tank and they patch it with some kind of epoxy you need to raise hell until they fix it the right way. Call Mattson fuel tanks and they can tell you what your fuel tank is made of. More than likely the place you took it to will take it to Mattson to have it fixed. If they don't I would question their choice. Fuel tanks are not easy to patch because most of them are made of aluminum and they have to stand up to salt water.
  • AquaRoosterAquaRooster Posts: 589 Officer
    I'd call 1-800-AKS-GARY
  • BD27BD27 Posts: 1,179 Officer
    Brand new boat , I would have to have the tank replaced, did you take it to your dealer for service ?
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,244 Officer
    ^what the bloody Limey said^

Document everything!
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,560 Captain
    [QUOTE=Skeeter1;1885372I immediately left and told them to call me when it was fixed.
    [/QUOTE]

TROLL

If not a troll you did the wronng thing byt what you did in above quote. Now your on a forum wanting answers. The answers to all your questions should have been asnwered before you left the shop. Document , document and document some more. Make sure the owner of the shop knows what you are expecting. IF, IF they say they are going to patch it, ask them how they are going to do it and tell them not to touch it till you do your own due dillegence and research the repair.

IMO they owe you a new gas tank.
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
    SJC wrote: »
    TROLL

If not a troll you did the wronng thing byt what you did in above quote. Now your on a forum wanting answers. The answers to all your questions should have been asnwered before you left the shop. Document , document and document some more. Make sure the owner of the shop knows what you are expecting. IF, IF they say they are going to patch it, ask them how they are going to do it and tell them not to touch it till you do your own due dillegence and research the repair.

IMO they owe you a new gas tank.
    Yep document everything with a email to them. Put them on notice you might have to talk to you attorney. If you have any conversations with them follow up with an email saying confirming our conversation. Was it a dealer or a mom and pop shed tree service shop?
  • Skeeter1Skeeter1 Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Thank you all for your replies. A lot of my questions were answered. I'm not a marine mechanic so I don't know if they can actually remove the tank or not. My thoughts were that they needed to replace the complete tank as well though, just not sure how thats done on this boat.

SJC- I'm not sure what a "troll" is. I trust this dealer, however if they don't fix it to my approval I will get Skeeter involved. Skeeter (Their VP Jeff Stone and Salesman Joe M.) have been absolutely AWESOME to deal with. The service after the sell has been the best!!!! A friend of mine (Captain Chad Manning) is sponsored by Skeeter as well and usually helps me navigate through troubled waters if needed.

Again, thank all you guys for your input. It was very helpful.
    To replace the tank is done the same way it was built only in reverse, strip the boat to get to the tank, then rebuild. Very expensive screw up if you ask me. I would not settle for a repaired tank you took the boat in for service with a non fixed tank, you should expect it returned in the same condition.
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,913 Moderator
    Fuel tanks are repairable, patching a hole from a drill is a piece of cake. The problem is getting to the fuel tank, in many if not most cases the cap must come off, major surgery on any boat never mind a brand new 2014. This is a tough situation for sure, quite frankly I'd want a new boat, let the factory tear yours apart, fix it and they can sell it as factory reconditioned.
    Wow.... That answered the major question!!!!! Thank you guys for the input.
    I'm dealing with a situation with my boat, cracking of the hull not even a year old yet. The factory is going to rebuild the boat and fix the cracks. The warrenty reads they have the option to repair rather than replace. They are gutting the boat back to the hull, then rebuilding back adding more stringers in the end I will have a better stronger boat than a new one. I was dealing with the warranty department and getting lip service till I called the president ot the company,now the warranty department cannot help enough.
  • Baja280Baja280 Posts: 440 Deckhand
    IMHO, that boat potentially should last 20 years BEFORE you should ever have to remove the cap. Meaning there is no reason to disassemble a boat removing the cap unless you are completely reconditioning/new stringers/new tank/new floors. So in my personal opinion they just took 20 years off your boat........I would politely ask for a new boat and see where that gets you, you shouldn't have to take the hit at all, if they cracked the glass somehow and that needed fixing, that's one thing, if they ripped the hatch off and needed to re-glass some hinges and gel, that's another thing, but to completely disassemble the boat for a stupid mistake.......idk good luck friend and keep a cool head in negotiations!
    Premium Auto Body and Collision
    Anything from Hot Rods to Bentleys
    Also work with ALL Insurance Carriers
    941-685-3540
    Baja, so you're saying that I shouldn't even accept them cracking the boat open and giving me a new tank? That's a very good point. Thank you.
  • fishinggfishingg Posts: 38 Greenhorn
    The place you took your boat to should have insurance for things like this and the tank should be replaced, therefore, I would just call them and ask if he contacted his insurance carrier about the situation.
    Baja280 wrote: »
    IMHO, that boat potentially should last 20 years BEFORE you should ever have to remove the cap. Meaning there is no reason to disassemble a boat removing the cap unless you are completely reconditioning/new stringers/new tank/new floors. So in my personal opinion they just took 20 years off your boat........I would politely ask for a new boat and see where that gets you, you shouldn't have to take the hit at all, if they cracked the glass somehow and that needed fixing, that's one thing, if they ripped the hatch off and needed to re-glass some hinges and gel, that's another thing, but to completely disassemble the boat for a stupid mistake.......idk good luck friend and keep a cool head in negotiations!
    That's what there doing new foam new stringers, from what I'm hearing the stringers are separating from the hull. This has been a problem with the 2013s from this builder. And there are 2 boats ahead of mine having the same thing done.
    Skeeter1 wrote: »
    Baja, so you're saying that I shouldn't even accept them cracking the boat open and giving me a new tank? That's a very good point. Thank you.
    Precisely what I was referring to in my post. I'm with Baja, taking the cap off my brand new boat is not an option. Period. Dot.
  • Baja280Baja280 Posts: 440 Deckhand
    amen! if ya wanted a re-furbed boat, you would've bought a used one correct?????? yea, like reel lucky says, Period. Dot.
    Premium Auto Body and Collision
    Anything from Hot Rods to Bentleys
    Also work with ALL Insurance Carriers
    941-685-3540
  • AquaRoosterAquaRooster Posts: 589 Officer
    Right, just ask for a new boat and I'm sure joe blow repair shop will do it for you!
    The inference I got from the comments is this is a Skeeter dealer not a joe blow repair shop.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file