So just so you all know.....Don's Dock sucessfully sued you all

Last summer I mentioned about a lawsuit brought by several commercial interest against NMFS and basically throwing the recreational anglers under the bus...

The new Owners of Don's Dock were a party to that suit....

Yesterday a federal judge sided with the commercial interest, whose impact on us is yet to be seen...
My gut feeling is that Crabtree will basically just shut down red snapper fishing altogether...or worse

As for me...I am tired...
I am tired of going onto various boards...watching the same screen names fighting it out...
Tired of the 1000's of hours I pour over catch data knowing it is bad and getting no where, little support and no pay...
I am tired of not hearing the groups that are supposed to represent us, coming as loudly and strongly as the newly EDF funded groups like Share the Gulf, the Gulf Seafood Institute and the like...

We are a formidable force of resource and voices, yet we are mute...we are flaccid in our turn out at meetings and telling congress what we need.

Heck I don't even fish offshore, yet I am at most meetings and constantly in contact with NMFS and the council and participating as an advisory panel member of 2 advisory panels...

Time for me to just shut up and fish....the Tarpon, reds, snook and inshore grouper are waiting....there also some kings on the beach...

After 20 plus years of fighting this fight....I am tired and not seeing much in the way of results or increases advocacy from the folks that are affected the most.....

Change is coming to an offshore reef neat you...
You can expect to see sector separation and recreational catch shares (tags) very soon in the federal fisheries....
Our inability to rally a sustained fight with a consistent message has been our undoing..
Our inability to unite and force those groups who are suppose to represent us to unit has failed.....

We have met the enemy and he is us.
National Association of Recreational Anglers - Add Your Voice
https://www.facebook.com/RecAnglers?notif_t=page_new_likes

Replies

• Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 Officer
    HTFU, Bob.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,913 Moderator
    Well said Bob, I feel your pain. The apathy amongst us is truly remarkable, quite frankly I've never seen anything like it.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Reel-Lucky wrote: »
    Well said Bob, I feel your pain. The apathy amongst us is truly remarkable, quite frankly I've never seen anything like it.
    Yep... I hate to hear you're giving up Bob, but thanks for what you tried to do... The whole thing stinks of corruption...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
    You have not because this is an enjoyable pastime for the great majority of people fishing, who don't understand federal fisheries management, and rulemaking or what Bob understands, and they cannot be expected too nor criticized for it. Numbers of whiners mean nothing as we are constantly reminded of when we have them at meetings. This is big boy politics. And without those effective politicians as advocates wer will continue to suffer loss of access to recreational fisheries.

So please stop this "Oh, woe is me / if we only could rally the troops..." lament. We do it because we can. No one is twisting our arms or expecting that we do it at all. There is no reward for us.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • CaptBobBryantCaptBobBryant Posts: 5,716 Officer
    Yep... I hate to hear you're giving up Bob, but thanks for what you tried to do... The whole thing stinks of corruption...

I've got a grandson, who rarely gets to fish with me, because I am either researching about fighting for fish or fighting for fish.....Time for me to fight some fish.
    HTFU, Bob.

What does that mean?

Never mind I looked it up.....
    Strange coming form you....

Thought you had a bit more respect for me...and yourself....
  • gill nettergill netter Posts: 236 Deckhand
    Advocate for the Commercial guys then.....It IS a winning feeling!
    Nothing strange or disrespectful at all. It means Harden The .... Up, stop whining and play the game.

If you can't go on doing it, well thanks for the effort and we'll see you around.

But don't blame others for not being involved and unappreciative as the contributive cause. That's not why we do this. So stop feeling sorry for yourself, come down off the cross and get back to work.

Nothing strange or disrespectful at all. It means Harden The .... Up, stop whining and play the game.

If you can't go on doing it, well thanks for the effort and we'll see you around.

But don't blame others for not being involved and unappreciative as the contributive cause. That's not why we do this. So stop feeling sorry for yourself, come down off the cross and get back to work.

Not a whine...and really don't need any lecture from you....but I figure I only have a good 20 to 30 years left on this Earth....
    Time to stop wasting my time on folks who wont help themselves...
    And go fishing...

If you can't appreciate that...then I am sorry...
    Enjoy yourself, Bob.

• Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,434 AG
    I'm very sorry to see you go from the fight Bob, I appreciate all you've done and tried to do.
    I get where your coming from, I think the last big protest that a bunch of people turned out for was the one you and your girls organized years back in Maderia beach over the Grouper regs.

Time to let your head heal :bangheadand go fishing.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Big TarpBig Tarp Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Hey Bob, I fished with you a very long time ago. Probably 30 plus years, we had a difference of opinion a time or two and a deal on a boat deal that I wish was different. With that being said I feel your pain, CRABTREE WILL DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO SCREW the recreational fisherman. I have been watching this for a very long time. I too have come to realize that commercial fishing has power and money to keep people in there back pocket $$$$$$. It make no since that the recreational side of it witch brings far more dollars than commercial has to suck hind ****. Like I have said, I don't reply much. You can't beet CITY HALL said but true.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,466 Admiral
    Big Tarp wrote: »
    Hey Bob, I fished with you a very long time ago. Probably 30 plus years, we had a difference of opinion a time or two and a deal on a boat deal that I wish was different. With that being said I feel your pain, CRABTREE WILL DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO SCREW the recreational fisherman. I have been watching this for a very long time. I too have come to realize that commercial fishing has power and money to keep people in there back pocket $$$$$$. It make no since that the recreational side of it witch brings far more dollars than commercial has to suck hind ****. Like I have said, I don't reply much. You can't beet CITY HALL said but true.
    if I had the money to keep people in my back pocket, I **** sure wouldn't be fishing.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,017 AG
    Big Tarp wrote: »

First, you might want to look where the fisheries are - DOC, Dept of Commerce.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • Big TarpBig Tarp Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Mango Man, I spoke with you awhile back, in person.
    I stand corrected on who is in charge federal game, FDLE, Salt water game, JOE **** THE RAGNAN who cares the end result is the same.
    GET A LIFE, Bob no room left for people who
    know what is real. Transplants who caught a fish or two since moving down or over from else where are now experts. It is so typical that people in Government are so un aware of what the real bottom line is.
    It is gotten so bad that even our own members have givin up. Except for the few that choose to correct the do's and don'ts of proper manner in who is responsible. Like I said I am a bizzy person not much time for TRANSPLANTS who think they have all the answers.
    Bottom Line, let's just fish IT WHAT IS IS

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file