pickling recipes

I know i can google basics recipes and i have found a few, but looking for a good one maybe someone had. I would like to do dill and bread and butter pickles. I've got my wide mouth quart mason jars ready. Pickles are almost ready. I do like garlic and spicy pickles. Any other pointers will gladly be appreciated since this is my first time canning pickles. Thanks for the info.

Replies

• no peekinno peekin Posts: 782 Officer
    from thevillagecook.com

I got “into” the canning. Once you realize the “rules” it’s simple. It does take some time- but the reward is a cute little pantry stocked with love. Now, here are the rules in my own words- but this is not to be used as instructions- READ THE BOOK LET THAT COMES WITH YOUR CANNER! This is just a introduction in case you’ve always kinda though about canning, etc.

1st- start with clean jars. No chips, cracks, etc-same goes for the 2 piece lids. I prefer the wide mouth jars for pickles. Easier to get your hand in there when they are ready to eat.

2nd- heat the jars (I boil mine because I like sterile things) heat the lid and bands to 180°F DON’T LET THE FLAT LID BOIL (it won’t seal right)

3rd in my opinion, that’s the most time consuming part- which is like a total of 15minutes, maybe?

Now, what I do while my jars are boiling and lids are simmering is prepare the innards of the jars

For pickles:

(this is an adaptation from the Ball Blue Book Of Canning)

1 qt white vinegar

3/4 cup sugar

1/2 c canning salt

1 qt water

fresh dill, chopped (about 1cup)

3 tbs Frontier (from the health food store) brand pickling spice

1 sp chopped garlic

Place the pickling spice and garlic into a piece of cheesecloth

place the other ingredients into a saucepan and simmer 15 minutes

While it’s simmering- prep your pickles cucumbers. Duh- they’re not pickles yet.I usually get about 8lbs.That will make 7pts or 3qts .

Get the best kirbys you can, wash them well and cut off the end. (the stem)you can slice them any way-or leave them whole. Pack them snugly in the hot jars, leaving 1/4″ space at the top. Line up your jars and carfully ladle the hot liquid into them, leaving 1/4″headspace. Remove air bubbles by running a clean knife along the inside of the glass. Place the 2 piece caps on each jar and tighten just enough- not too tight. Place the jars in a canning rack, and boil fully submerged (that’s called processing) for 15minutes. When time is up, remove jars and set out to cool 24hrs. If you listen carefully you may hear ” POP,POP” that’s the vacuum seal working. My hubby likes that noise. They taste best after they sit for 3 weeks.

A few notes- please read your instructions, have all your equipment out and ready before you begin, and have fun.
    BIGFISH ROOFING. 570-1973. ccc1330441
  • dougmaysdougmays Posts: 288 Officer
    No peeking..thanks for the great write up! i've been looking to do this also and this is a great start!

Question: you mentioned putting the garlic and spice in the cheese cloth...i assume this is to get the flavor but not to put the items in the jars when poured...is it necessarily bad to put items like garlic, spice, peppers, etc... in the jars to also pickle? for instance can i do pickles but throw in some jalapenos, garlic, carrots, etc...? or will those items "rot" in the jar or decrease the shelf life?

Question 2: you said "simmer the ingredients"...are you referring to everything in the list besides the pickles? such as the vinegar, water, sugar, dill, etc...

Thanks...might try this next week..local meat market has a sale on cucs for 1.79/lb
  • no peekinno peekin Posts: 782 Officer
    Simmer all but pickles.I have put garlic cloves in some of my pickles.
    BIGFISH ROOFING. 570-1973. ccc1330441
  • dougmaysdougmays Posts: 288 Officer
    thanks!
  • Big JohnBig John Posts: 577 Officer
    This sounds good, i'll post some pictures when i get going at this.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file