BEST PADLOCK

FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,299 Moderator
Looking for a padlock to secure a storage container in a remote location. I know I can install a lock box to allow access only from below but I was wondering if there is a suitable lock that, by design, prevents bolt cutters from being applied to the shackle. That would be a quicker solution. The storage unit has an alarm so I will know if someone breaks in. Just trying to deter that from happening as best as I can. It is actually a CONEX (shipping) container with latches similar to those found on 18 wheeler trailers.

I found this one on Google: 712227000_640.jpg

Is it a good one?
Any other suggestions?
"Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
-- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida

Replies

• tmrprtmrpr Posts: 31 Deckhand
    Yes, it looks like a hockey puck with the bolt on the back. Can't think of the name of them. I used to use them all of the time on cone boxes.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,603 Officer
    tmrpr wrote: »
    Yes, it looks like a hockey puck with the bolt on the back. Can't think of the name of them. I used to use them all of the time on cone boxes.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

http://lockitt.com/Lockitt/product/SPHP/HPMA770.html

770wlock_350.jpg

http://lockitt.com/TrailerDoorLocks.htm
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Posts: 18,657 Admin
    Fletch wrote: »
    Looking for a padlock to secure a storage container in a remote location. I know I can install a lock box to allow access only from below but I was wondering if there is a suitable lock that, by design, prevents bolt cutters from being applied to the shackle. That would be a quicker solution. The storage unit has an alarm so I will know if someone breaks in. Just trying to deter that from happening as best as I can. It is actually a CONEX (shipping) container with latches similar to those found on 18 wheeler trailers.

I found this one on Google: 712227000_640.jpg

Is it a good one?
    Any other suggestions?

That looks pretty solid Tim although I'm not familiar with it.

Ive used this one and no problems with it
    3270.jpg

Id stick with a well known brand name like MASTER. YOU REALLY CANT GO WRONG THERE
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,603 Officer
    That looks pretty solid Tim although I'm not familiar with it.

Ive used this one and no problems with it
    3270.jpg

Id stick with a well known brand name like MASTER. YOU REALLY CANT GO WRONG THERE

My step-father had to take a grinder to one of those. The guy at the storage place said several other people had to as well.

I have a uhaul lock like it that works great though
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 19,979 AG
    jad1097 wrote: »
    That looks good, If you can't have it welded on, see if you could bolt it under the lock.
    Someone would start :huh after the 6 bolts were cut off and it's still holding.
    :BUNNY gestapo

• WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,414 Officer
    Locks only keep honest people, honest. Especially in a remote location.

Oh and I third the round Master padlock in the photo above.
    Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself. :blowkiss

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 11,985 AG
    HAHAHAHA....I laugh when I hear people discuss locks. Locks are designed to stop kids. A lock will not stop someone intent on defeating it.

Just for fun, find a locksmith, and ask him how much time he would need to pick 99% of commercially sold locks.

[video=youtube_share;ueNgC5_cEoA]
  • FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,299 Moderator
    Thanks all. The unit will have a wireless alarm that senses motion, vibration (drilling, grinding, cutting, etc) and an opened door (mag switch) if they get that far. Audible alarm and text messages sent immediately when an alarm is detected.

A smart local thief would know they have "some" time to work with - even if an alarm is activated - before the PO PO arrives. Really just trying to slow them down as much as possible. Fair amount of value involved.
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."

• FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,299 Moderator
    HAHAHAHA....I laugh when I hear people discuss locks. Locks are designed to stop kids. A lock will not stop someone intent on defeating it.

Just for fun, find a locksmith, and ask him how much time he would need to pick 99% of commercially sold locks.

I have learned a LOT about locks and how to defeat them in the last hour on YouTube alone. Pretty scary how easily some are picked.

• Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,409 AG
    Locks are to keep honest people out.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.

But a lock like this might have me looking at the hinges for an easier way in.

• PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,262 AG
    youre gonna make a ruckus trying to get into a truck with one of those on it gandy.
  • MadScientistMadScientist Posts: 3,402 Officer
    I would not put too much into it, all it takes is a little liquid nitrogen and a hammer and any of these locks is toast. I'd guess a 18V cutoff wheel would do the job as well. Just not as quiet or fast.
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    could someone please mention that locks only keep honest people out? I assume none of those people have any locks.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,262 AG

dur
  • IndigoIndigo Posts: 969 Officer
    Kasp 190
    Abloy pl260n if you can find one
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    I would not put too much into it, all it takes is a little liquid nitrogen and a hammer and any of these locks is toast. I'd guess a 18V cutoff wheel would do the job as well. Just not as quiet or fast.

Yeah, because liquid nitrogen is just so cheap right?
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • MadScientistMadScientist Posts: 3,402 Officer
    ZimmerNole wrote: »

Far less than an 18V cutoff , chump change for a pro thief

I suspect they'd almost be more enticed by an expensive lock than a cheap one
  • bigironbigiron Posts: 542 Officer
    The latches cut like butter and fall right off with the lock still locked. Welding the base on each door and using the round lock is probably best. Look at a secondary lock on the door latch cams maybe on top where you need a ladder to unlock...just a thought.
  • MadpoodleMadpoodle Posts: 752 Officer
    Been using the Abloys for years. Excellent lock, you are not cutting or freezing it.
    Water rat

Get ready to rock and roll South Florida, theres a NEW tournament on the horizon that's gong to change your world!
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 7,885 Admiral
    ZimmerNole wrote: »

Cheaper than beer! Made from air!
    23895.gif
  • Top WaterTop Water Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    Abloy is one of the best locks in the industry. They are manufactured by the Abloy Assa group who also owns Medeco. They are pick proof, drill proof, and have a lifetime warranty. Locking Systems International in Orlando is the Abloy distributor for the Southeast. Check out their website at www.lockingsystems.com or their buy online site is www.lsidepot.com

[video=youtube_share;ueNgC5_cEoA]

The "lifting pin" principle is easy to pick. Abloy uses a rotating disc principle.........

http://abloyusa.com/padlock.htm
    and yes......I am a locksmith.........:wink
    Top Water wrote: »
    and yes......I am a locksmith.........:wink

<--- welder, metal fabricator.

gandrfab wrote: »
    <--- welder, metal fabricator.

LOL.....
  • 10X10X Posts: 499 Officer
    So much for the Abloy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj4myR2XlWc

Jeeze, seems there is no way to stop an informed and determined thief. Insure is about all you got.
    You need the "special tool" to drill into it. In the vid, the cylinder is in a vice in a controlled environment. It is a little bit different in the real world, where the cylinder is installed in an actual door handle. Also, unlike door hardware locks, Abloy padlocks also incorporate rotating steel discs to help deter drilling attempts
  • wizfisherwizfisher Posts: 2,387 Officer
    Locks only keep honest people, honest.

Locks keep lazy thieves out.
    Honest people wouldn't steal if it isn't locked.
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 11,985 AG
    Top Water wrote: »
    The "lifting pin" principle is easy to pick. Abloy uses a rotating disc principle.........

http://abloyusa.com/padlock.htm

Is Abloy pretty much the only padlock you recommend?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file