Smoked fish dip

Anybody care to share some good recipes for smoked fish dip? Best fish to use? Going to do some smoking this year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Edgewater 220IS (Dan)
Mercury 250 Verado
Minn Kota I-pilot
2 Simrad NSS 9 evo 2
1 Simrad NSS 7 evo2

Replies

• ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    I'll pull some up tonight...
  • hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,167 Officer
    So many threads about fish dip over the years there must be hundreds in the forum already... maybe you can have some luck if you try a search, maybe even in the archives.

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: www.neflbaitco-op.com

2013 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,031 AG
    Surprisingly I have a friend that uses french onion dip as a base, then packs in the mullet with some spices to make his dip. It is outstanding. Other fish we have used are Bluefish, Spanish and Jack Crevelle in that order.

One of my wife's dip recipe's.

8 oz Cream Cheese
    1/3 to 1/2 tub of Cream Cheese with Chives and Onions
    The rest is to your taste

Hot Sauce (Chipolte Tabasco is good)
    Worcestershire Sauce
    Chopped green onion
    Celery Salt
    Onion and Garlic Powder
    Black pepper
    Red pepper

Add plenty of fish. My wife usually makes the mixture, I add the fish. Always best to smoke the fish a little drier if you are going to use it in a dip.

To add, when I smoke my fish, I use like Everglades Heat, black pepper, onion and garlic powder and some cayenne, along with alittle more black pepper.
    Do let the smoked fish cool off before you use it in the dip. Seems to crumble apart easier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • Edgewater220Edgewater220 Posts: 488 Officer
    Thanks I will try it!! I will also search the forums.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Edgewater 220IS (Dan)
    Mercury 250 Verado
    Minn Kota I-pilot
    2 Simrad NSS 9 evo 2
    1 Simrad NSS 7 evo2
  • IntheslotIntheslot Posts: 288 Deckhand
    Slice fish thin within 1/2 -3/4 inch tolerance, season with whatever (doesn't matter)
    Smoke fish 2 hrs using pecan wood (I like chunks, get at Gander).
    Dehydrate in oven if still very moist, should be kinda dry

Grind up in food processor, blender, magic bullet....(very, very important - must be ground).
    Equal parts mayo & sour cream and 1/2 part ranch dressing (ranch dressing secret ingredient)
    Diced onion (not too much will overpower)
    Season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder, nothing more.

Serve with spicy stuff on side - habanera sauce & japelenos

I've made 100's of batches of fish dip and have discovered the simpler the better.

I do not intend to brag, but I'll tell you that I have never had better and I've eaten more than my share of SFD.
  • latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 1,969 Captain
    I mostly use king mackeral but have also done this with spanish or cero macks, still darn good. Once in awhile I may smoke AJ or mahi, still really good. Have also done wahoo, similar ingredients but also add dill and try to use a citrus flavored hot sauce and maybe some onion soup mix.

I use mostly alder, cherry, apple or pecan wood depending on what I have on hand, never hickory.

1 pound smoked fish (crumbled, I sometimes grind it up but usually just get rid of any bones and break it up finely by hand).
    half cup mayo
    quarter cup cream cheese
    quarter cup sour cream
    4 tbls creamy horsey sauce
    4 tbls key lime juice
    4 tbls maybe more hot sauce
    salt pepper to taste

Mix well and keep on mixing and taste accordingly. Top with some finely chopped onion or scallions. Better served near room temp as the flavors come together compared to right out of the fridge. Once in awhile I will also add some soy sauce and/or some old bay seasoning for variety.

Good luck, best to experiment a bit to see what you like. I personally love this dip especially the lime infusion, yummmy!
  • nbseafrognbseafrog Posts: 521 Officer
    Lots of good recipes here. No need to add mine but I will throw this out there- fish dip is a GREAT way to use fish in the freezer that is getting on the old side. Anything that makes it to 6 months old ends up in the smoker. Yes, I Food Saver my fish. But I think they start to decline after 5 months.
    Catch 'em up!

Nick
    nbseafrog wrote: »
    Lots of good recipes here. No need to add mine but I will throw this out there- fish dip is a GREAT way to use fish in the freezer that is getting on the old side. Anything that makes it to 6 months old ends up in the smoker. Yes, I Food Saver my fish. But I think they start to decline after 5 months.

Not if I have them vacuumed sealed. Unless they are spanish or blues. They go to the smoker then for dip.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • MOSMOS Posts: 64 Deckhand
    nbseafrog wrote: »

Agreed, its pretty much whats on hand and needs to go that ends up in dip. Ill net some mullet to have some on hand all the time ( i wish i had the problem of too much fish getting old)I keep a few zip locks frozen for unexpected guests.
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,267 AG
    Amazing!

Learn something whether you want to or not.

For over a half century I have been joyfully catching these fish as one of the best fighters of all, then immediately throwing them back.

Several times while seawall fishing had hoped I hooked onto a large snook, only to bring in a 5-or so-pound jack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crevalle_jack
    :thumbsup
    I’m only responsible for what I say -- not for what others think they understand.

Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the "m" is silent.

America! Keep calm and return fire.

:USA
    I have smoked them several times, but keep them in the smaller range.

That's a small jack in this pic along with some Spanish and a Bluefish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• NSByakNSByak Posts: 424 Officer
    I've done bluefish that I bled and iced immediately. Turned out really good!

Made the dip with:
    small tub light cream cheese
    1/2 cup mayo
    chopped parsley; chives; finely chopped celery
    juice 1/2 lemon
    dash of worcestershire sauce

shape into ball and place in refrig overnight to let the flavors blend

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file