Split Rings on lures.....

guido4198guido4198 Posts: 2,243 Officer
When you buy a new lure that has a small split ring on the nose loop....do you tie to the split ring, or remove it and just tie a loop knot directly to the loop on the nose of the lure...??????????

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,698 Captain
    The only split rings I ever leave on the nose of the plug are pretty stout ones. Light ones get tossed..... The difference between the two is simple, tie a piece of leader (30 is my minimum, if the plug is going to be used for big tarpon it's as much as 80lb) and pull it tight while the plug is hooked to something solid so it won't move. Any sign that the split ring is opening up while cinching down the knot and it's not strong enough.... The same goes for the cheap split rings that the hooks are attached to on many lures (if I can find the right sized replacements). Get into some big jacks or other critters that are really hard on plugs with standard split rings and you'll wind up missing some hooks....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • MoondawgMoondawg Posts: 214 Officer
    guido4198 wrote: »
    When you buy a new lure that has a small split ring on the nose loop....do you tie to the split ring, or remove it and just tie a loop knot directly to the loop on the nose of the lure...??????????

There's really no reason to have a split ring at the nose eye hook unless you intend on adding a swivel.
    Just 'cause the sun don't shine, doesn't mean you can't go fishin'..
    http://www.sixwavelures.com
    100% Handcrafted Wooden Lures & Jig Heads
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    Moondawg wrote: »
    There's really no reason to have a split ring at the nose eye hook unless you intend on adding a swivel.

Sure there is, or the manufacturer would not spend the extra time and money to put a split ring there. Some lures come with a split ring and some do not. The purpose of installing a split ring on some lures is that it allows the lure to work properly once it is being moved through the water.
    Idlewilde wrote: »
    Sure there is, or the manufacturer would not spend the extra time and money to put a split ring there. Some lures come with a split ring and some do not. The purpose of installing a split ring on some lures is that it allows the lure to work properly once it is being moved through the water.

A split ring contributes to how a lures moves in the water? Idlewilde, I make lures for a living and a single split ring at the eye hook does not contribute to the action, it's simply because some people like to add a swivel because they are still using mono. I do not attach a split ring at the front because the majority of my lures are topwater. I have done pretty much all the research that you can think of on lures from their action, color, shape, hooks, hook location, hardware placement etc and the list goes on...
  • Lunch Money SurfLunch Money Surf Posts: 1,024 Officer
    guido4198 wrote: »

My guess is they put them on there because most folks don't tie loop knots. And a lure with a cinch knot tied to a split ring would presumably work better than a cinch knot tied to the eye.

I remove them and tie loop knots to the eye.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,282 Officer
    My guess is they put them on there because most folks don't tie loop knots. And a lure with a cinch knot tied to a split ring would presumably work better than a cinch knot tied to the eye.

DING!! We have a winner. (IMO)

Other than that, I agree with everyone else. I remove the weak rings and replace them with stronger. Depending on the wire diameter of the eye loop, I may or may not replace with a stronger ring.
    .......Rick
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,365 Admiral
    The least amount of terminal tackle in the water, the better..Split rings on the nose come off of my lures.

Learn to tie one of these.

unlednze.jpg
  • GamekillaGamekilla Posts: 461 Officer
    That is the best knot I have ever used but should it be the only knot I use for a line to hook connection? Once I learned this knot I have not used any other, am I wrong for doing so?
    I like its because its low profile and strong..I always tie a loop knot to lures and jigs nothing else.
    Gamekilla wrote: »
    That is the best knot I have ever used but should it be the only knot I use for a line to hook connection? Once I learned this knot I have not used any other, am I wrong for doing so?

NO.....There are hundreds of knots and most guides and captains and ardent fishermen know how to tie scores of them. But if a poll is taken (and it has been) you will find that most of these people use 5-7 knots on a regular basis....and 2-3 of those are for specific circumstances.

The best loop knot for you is the one you can tie perfectly and quickly every time you need it, and you use it with confidence. It may not be the same knot that the guy next to you is using, but this does not make either of you wrong.
    .......Rick
    Permit Rat wrote: »
    NO.....There are hundreds of knots and most guides and captains and ardent fishermen know how to tie scores of them. But if a poll is taken (and it has been) you will find that most of these people use 5-7 knots on a regular basis....and 2-3 of those are for specific circumstances.

The best loop knot for you is the one you can tie perfectly and quickly every time you need it, and you use it with confidence. It may not be the same knot that the guy next to you is using, but this does not make either of you wrong.

Maybe I took the question wrong I assumed he was talking inshore lures specifically.Other than spoons or hooks with livebait or deadbait I can't think of anything else I do not use a loop knot on ?
    I don't know...maybe you're right. I am not one of those, but I know people who put a loop knot into just about everything they tie to. Nothing wrong with that, just saying.
    .......Rick

That is plausible, but as johnD said- learn to tie a loop knot. Think about this though! OK, you tie a cinch knot or even a uni knot to a split ring but as everybody knows, a knot tightly tied will slide around with casting etc. A split ring reduces in size from two layers of wire to one layer that enables you to attach to a lure or attach a swivel, that's what they are for. You tie a cinch knot to a swivel and it slips to the single layer of wire- knot no longer tight, yes it will re-tighten but now you have your leader slipping between two sharp ends of where the wire was cut.. Take 'em off unless you intend to apply yet more metal to weigh down your lure.....
  • FrisbeeFrisbee Posts: 2,315 Officer
    Split rings....
    First thing a lure has to do is catch a fisherman...if putting a split ring on it makes a fisherman think that the lure is gonna have a better action then a lure company is wise to put one on. but the amount of resistance a fishing line has moving through the water (even "wiggling") is not a measurable difference from a Split ring....a split ring actually creates more resistance.
    I only leave split rings on some of the spoons I own that have a rough edge where the hole was drilled through them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file