Lost a good friend yesterday, and so did KW

restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 1,928 Captain
We lost a good friend yesterday in Jared Michael Hobgood. He grew up here in Tampa but has lived in Key West for like 15 years now playing at Irish Kevin's, so I am sure some on here have been down there and seen him play. He also came home every year to play at our annual crawfish boil, which, along with Key West, will never be the same. Fair winds and following seas to you, my good friend....Godspeed JMH.

His favorite Irish song The Parting Glass which he ended his shows with

Here is the whole thing:

Of all the money that e'er I had
I've spent it in good company
And all the harm that e'er I've done
Alas it was to none but me
And all I've done for want of wit
To memory now I can't recall
So fill to me the parting glass
Good night and joy be with you all

Of all the comrades that e'er I had
They are sorry for my going away
And all the sweethearts that e'er I had
They would wish me one more day to stay
But since it falls unto my lord
That I should rise and you should not
I'll gently rise and I'll softly call
Good night and joy be with you all

A man may drink and not be drunk
A man may fight and not be slain
A man may court a pretty girl
And perhaps be welcomed back again
But since it has so ordered been
By a time to rise and a time to fall
Come fill to me the parting glass
Goodnight and joy be with you all
Goodnight and joy be with you all

Replies

• restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 1,928 Captain
  • PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 Officer
    was he killed?
    When I was younger, I could remember anything...

whether it had happened or not.

Mark Twain
    Popeye wrote: »
    was he killed?

Yes, but I am unable to share any details as of this time.
  • PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 Officer
    well keep us informed
    When I was younger, I could remember anything...

whether it had happened or not.

Mark Twain
  • JEN'S REVENGEJEN'S REVENGE Posts: 565 Officer
    :angel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fly HookerFly Hooker Posts: 4,195 Officer
    RIP!
  • We go to Irish kelvins every time we are in key west.
    I remember talking to one of the guys and he was from Tampa, must of been him.
    Sorry to hear about his death.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 Officer
    Friendship is refreshment and sweetness as we pass this way. It is much to feel that, wherever we are, we have friends, and that their friends are ours as well. Our Brother's friends are lonely in this hour, but the friendship we felt for him extends to them. We, too, loved him.

We, too, feel the pain of parting. Our sympathy, our love, are theirs as they were his. Our entire fraternity surrounds his loved ones with the assurance of its affection. We offer the support of our sympathy, the comfort of our faith, the inspiration of our hope, that they, with us, may look beyond this hour through the opening portals of the infinite. So then, let us be unceasingly grateful for every God-given virtue which the life of our Brother expressed, and let us be comforted and sustained by the assurance that life goes on unbroken and uncorrupted and that God alone is the life and light of men.

I am sorry for the loss of your friend.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,215 Captain
    I looked at his FB page. He sure did a lot of traveling to some cool places in his life.
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 Officer
    stc1993 wrote: »
    I looked at his FB page. He sure did a lot of traveling to some cool places in his life.

Yes, he did.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • mad dog bitemad dog bite Posts: 423 Officer
    Why is it a secret how he died rumors around Key West is it was a suicide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most would be sympathetic, not sure your need to spread rumors. I happen to have respect for his family.
  • ziffleziffle Posts: 134 Officer
    This is really a bad day. When we go to KW we always went to Irish Kevin's on a night when JMH was there. I will wear my JMH tee shirt today in his honor.
  • mad dog bitemad dog bite Posts: 423 Officer
    My question is what is the big secret???? We are all gonna die of something..

My question is what is the big secret???? We are all gonna die of something..

Dead is dead, not sure of your fixation on the causation, but if I tell you it isn't a secret will you knock it off and quit acting like the girl that has to know everyone else's business? If not, his service is this afternoon and I'd be happy to introduce you to his son, or wife, or parents, or brothers and you can ask them?
  • GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,246 Admiral

When someone commits suicide their family and friends are often left wondering why. They suffer a huge loss that does not make sense to them and then since they can't understand their loss they sometimes have a sense of shame or embarrassment for them selves or their lost loved one.

They may feel the need to defend the departed from ignorant folks that will say "the easy way out".

Nothing could be farther from the truth. When someone who seemingly appears to have everything to live for decides to end their own life they often feel they are doing what is best for their loved ones. It cannot be easy choosing self inflicted death over life.

Depression is an insidious disease. It can strike the strongest among us and fill them with despair.

One of depression's calling cards is making the depresses individual not want to seek help. Why would you drink water if you were not thirsty?

Sorry for the loss of your friend restlessnative.

I have seen him play Irish Kevin's many times myself.
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • PAJoePAJoe Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Friendship is refreshment and sweetness as we pass this way. It is much to feel that, wherever we are, we have friends, and that their friends are ours as well. Our Brother's friends are lonely in this hour, but the friendship we felt for him extends to them. We, too, loved him.

We, too, feel the pain of parting. Our sympathy, our love, are theirs as they were his. Our entire fraternity surrounds his loved ones with the assurance of its affection. We offer the support of our sympathy, the comfort of our faith, the inspiration of our hope, that they, with us, may look beyond this hour through the opening portals of the infinite. So then, let us be unceasingly grateful for every God-given virtue which the life of our Brother expressed, and let us be comforted and sustained by the assurance that life goes on unbroken and uncorrupted and that God alone is the life and light of men.

I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

So mote it be
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,603 Officer
    Dead is dead, not sure of your fixation on the causation, but if I tell you it isn't a secret will you knock it off and quit acting like the girl that has to know everyone else's business? If not, his service is this afternoon and I'd be happy to introduce you to his son, or wife, or parents, or brothers and you can ask them?

I don't know about you but I always wonder how someone died when I hear about it. If it was suicide then just say so...sheesh!

Then there is always the question if he was drunk driving; many would be thankful he is dead instead of someone else.
  • GA Fin wrote: »
    When someone commits suicide their family and friends are often left wondering why. They suffer a huge loss that does not make sense to them and then since they can't understand their loss they sometimes have a sense of shame or embarrassment for them selves or their lost loved one.

They may feel the need to defend the departed from ignorant folks that will say "the easy way out".

Nothing could be farther from the truth. When someone who seemingly appears to have everything to live for decides to end their own life they often feel they are doing what is best for their loved ones. It cannot be easy choosing self inflicted death over life.

Depression is an insidious disease. It can strike the strongest among us and fill them with despair.

One of depression's calling cards is making the depresses individual not want to seek help. Why would you drink water if you were not thirsty?

Sorry for the loss of your friend restlessnative.

I have seen him play Irish Kevin's many times myself.

Well said.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    jad1097 wrote: »
    I don't know about you but I always wonder how someone died when I hear about it. If it was suicide then just say so...sheesh!

Then there is always the question if he was drunk driving; many would be thankful he is dead instead of someone else.

Usually my first thoughts are sympathy for the family and friends, but maybe I am overly sensitive to it having gone through so much of it myself. Some things also aren't always so cut and dry. My older brother was killed 3 days after his 30th birthday when he was run over by a train in a tunnel, supposedly scouting a location to shoot for a film. The police officially ruled it an accident but there sure are some questions that will NEVER get answered seeing as he was the only person there and the train engineer didn't really see what happened. Was no suicide note or anything to point that direction, but at the same time it would seem he should have been able to get out of the way. No one will ever know but him and I choose not to dwell on that, but remember all the great times. My dad died of cancer last year...cut and dry and easily explained. I'm not saying anything is a secret but it is also not my place to tell you what happened. I'll just leave it at that and continue to try and support his family in their most difficult of times.
  • keewestgrlkeewestgrl Posts: 192 Officer
    I can't even begin to count the number of times I made it a point to stop in and see him play - whether it was when I lived in Key West or after. Probably hundreds. He was a true talent and whether he knew it or not, he touched many peoples' lives - he was a sparkling gem of a guy - and he probably has no idea that when thousands of people think back on their weddings, vacations, bachelor parties, or any major life event spent on that island, in that bar, he is part of those fond memories. God be with you and those loved ones you left behind. JMH.
  • coldaircoldair Posts: 11,498 Officer
    hopefully it was not his new DE
    169304.GIF
  • King_MeKing_Me Posts: 5,131 Admiral
    :angel

Jared Michael Hobgood, 38, of 908 Windsor Lane, Key West, Fla., passed away on Thursday, Dec. 5, 2013. He is survived by his wife, Samantha Ursina Hobgood; his son, Jared Michael Hobgood II; his son's mother, Tanya McMillan of Orlando, Fla; his stepson, Hudson Thrasher; parents, Ronald and Jayne Hobgood of Tampa, Fla.; and brothers, John Hobgood of Medford, Mass.; and Judd Hobgood of Jacksonville, Fla.

Jared was born on March 22, 1975, in Evansville, Ind., and lived there until 1994, when his family moved to Tampa. He attended the University of Michigan for one year on a music scholarship before his family moved to Tampa. Jared transferred to the University of South Florida and graduated in 1997. He attended law school at the University of Florida.

Jared always loved music; and on a visit to Key West with his law school friends, he walked into Irish Kevin's bar on Duval Street. When the singer on stage needed a restroom break, Jared picked up his guitar and played a set. The owner offered him a job on the spot. He returned home, packed his bags, and began entertaining the crowds at Irish Kevin's.

He fell in love with Key West, its culture, and especially the people. Jared was an avid boater, spending most weekends on, in and under the water. He enjoyed boating, spearfishing, kite surfing; and especially evening paddleboarding with his wife, Samantha, and sons. Key West also fell in love with Jared. He was an honorary Special Forces member, an active member of the Masonic Lodge, and loved by residents of the Conch Republic.

Friends and family are invited to pay their respects from noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 8, at Dean-Lopez Funeral Home, 418 Simonton St., Key West.
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    RIP buddy, we spent a lot of time drinking with him. Pretty bummed right now...
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    The night of my wedding. Wife and I got married on Smathers beach. After the reception he was waiting for me to get tanked. Friggin hammered that night!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file