Bear-lando: Longwood woman seriously injured in bear attack

BuckDaddyBuckDaddy Posts: 644 Officer
Any bets on how long until bear huntin' begins ??? ...

orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-bear-attack-longwood-20131202,0,3306746.story

Orlando Sentinel
Longwood woman seriously injured in bear attack

By Henry Pierson Curtis, Orlando Sentinel

December 2, 2013

A Longwood woman suffered serious injuries in a bear attack Monday night as she walked her dogs, according to Seminole County Fire Rescue.

The bear attacked about 8:05 p.m. as the woman walked her dogs on English Ivy Court, said Fire Rescue Lt. Alisa Keys.

Once the unidentified woman broke free, she ran to a nearby house, where the resident called 911. The victim remained awake and alert but had suffered serious injuries, Keys said.

Keys did not describe the extent of the injuries.

An ambulance took her to Orlando Regional Medical Center about 20 miles south of where the attack took place. Her condition was not immediately available.

The attack happened near Markham Woods Road, south of Heathrow and about a mile east of the Wekiva River Buffer Conservation Area — an area known for frequent bear sightings.

This is a breaking news story. Check back for more details.

hcurtis@tribune.com or 407-420-5257.

Copyright © 2013, Orlando Sentinel

Replies

• FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 2,978 Captain
    Better than Zimmerman's old neighborhood.

Protect all available designated needed Bear habitat before Hunt begins.

Folks currently living in decent neighborhoods should be so lucky.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • gator4evergator4ever Posts: 2,501 Captain
    4 years ago we had 0 bears sightings and 0 bear sign.

Today we have 7 different bears that have been seen and marked by our members. Some maybe the same bear but consider the ones we have not seen. This is on 17,000 acres.

All I need is a tag and a season and I will have a record bear. He is a beast. Have seen him numerous times.

There is no doubt a season is needed. Maybe Chuck and his team will convince them one day?
    "sometimes it's OK just to kill a little time" my grandpa 1972
  • huntsfloridahuntsflorida Posts: 360 Deckhand
    Here we go! Season in two years tops!
    Capt. Mark Clemons
    Everglades Adventures Inc.
    Alligators Inc.
    Alligators International LLC.
    www.huntsflorida.com
    South Florida's Finest Hunting Safari's for over 25 years for:
    Osceola Turkey, Alligator and Whitetail on over
    75,000 acres of South Florida's most private pristine ranches.

Alligator Processing in State Certified and Inspected Facility.
    Follow our clients results on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/EvergladesAdventures
  • floridacrackrfloridacrackr Posts: 603 Officer
    Here we go! Season in two years tops!

I hope your right! Man, we have some bigguns over our way!
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,152 Admiral
    Predators are not supposed to be un phased by a mans presence! But, I'm sure it is incidents like these,and more to come that THEY need in order to politely ask for a change.

SAVE THE BEARS campaigns r next
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,152 Admiral
    go to this page and look at the bear videos

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/videogallery/75959282/#pl-78264840
  • DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 1,821 Captain
    Unfortunately, it's probably going to take more than one attack. The enviro-wackos and state officials can write off one attack as a fluke. Very sad but it will likely take a child being seriously injured or killed before we see any movement on a hunting season.
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,471 Admiral
    Unfortunately, it's probably going to take more than one attack. The enviro-wackos and state officials can write off one attack as a fluke. Very sad but it will likely take a child being seriously injured or killed before we see any movement on a hunting season.
    They'll blame it on the woman or her dogs. And that the bear was here first, were the intruders etc etc.

I agree with the above comments. I 've said in the past all it will take is so rich old lady in her exclusive neighborhood get mauled or attacked by a bear and her schnauzer gets eaten...........season open.

Its the same crap with wolves, cats and bears...........if they have no reason to fear man (yet they should), they will adjust and see us as a non-threat and that chit is wrong

Hope she is OK and isn't scarred too bad
    I have a much bigger and more powerful button
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 21,693 AG
    It;s the women's and her dogs fault and the bear was here first.

Just another way yankees and suburbanites are destroying Florida.

:wink
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,803 Moderator
    gator4ever wrote: »
    4 years ago we had 0 bears sightings and 0 bear sign.

Today we have 7 different bears that have been seen and marked by our members. Some maybe the same bear but consider the ones we have not seen. This is on 17,000 acres.

All I need is a tag and a season and I will have a record bear. He is a beast. Have seen him numerous times.

There is no doubt a season is needed. Maybe Chuck and his team will convince them one day?

One bear per 2,400 acres? I'm jealous.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • joekat46joekat46 Posts: 1,737 Captain
    There are just enough coyotes in our neighborhood that I'm normally packing something during the early morning or late evening dog walks. If we start hearing about bears I'll get something a little bigger. The last words the predator will hear will be "are you feeling lucky punk". This was coming. Surprised it took so long. No human needs feel they should be a bear snack no matter who was here first.

Just checked the latest update. The dog was not injured:thumbsup.

Bear still on the lamb.
  • mattb78mattb78 Posts: 159 Officer
    I live very close to that neighborhood and I can tell you that many of these bears don't have much fear of man. I have opened my front door at night and they walk down the middle of the road like they own it. I have been outside using a skill saw (noisy) and had a bear walk within 20 feet of me.

It is only natural really that after years and years some bears realize that humans don't pose a real threat.

The problem is that were the bears really need to be thinned, they probably won't let us thin them. It will probably be some ridiculous permit draw with very limited hunting methods. Let us hunt them over bait and we can make a dent in the population.

I wonder how many deer they are eating?
  • Skunk ApeSkunk Ape Posts: 3,846 Captain
    They won't kill them,just trap them and turn them loose next to my lease.
    mattb78 wrote: »

We will never know. They don't have to tag and report either.

Don't miss the ABC national story. They act like it is the only bear to ever have caused a problem in Florida.
  • JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 8,137 Admiral
    mattb78 wrote: »
    I

A couple of fawns on rare occasion.. Maybe a sick one now and then. But not a significant predator of deer.
    joekat46 wrote: »
    There are just enough coyotes in our neighborhood that I'm normally packing something during the early morning or late evening dog walks. If we start hearing about bears I'll get something a little bigger. The last words the predator will hear will be "are you feeling lucky punk". This was coming. Surprised it took so long. No human needs feel they should be a bear snack no matter who was here first.

Just checked the latest update. The dog was not injured:thumbsup.

Bear still on the lamb.

You carry a gun for coyotes in the neighborhood? Are you for real?

I would LOVE to see all the coyotes gone but they are zero threat to your safety.
    They could move them to my neighborhood.... I really would not care. and they would not harass me. I can deal with them without killing them.

I would LOVE to see all the coyotes gone but they are zero threat to your safety.

Too many stories of coyotes attacking dogs while being walked on a leash for me not to be prepared. Care too much for the dog to let that happen. We occasionally get free running pit bulls and other vermin also.

This is from our neighborhood. He got a pass even though they are not near as afraid of human contact as they should be.
    32512BOB.jpg

Try to add one more. It usually has a problem loading. You will need to click on it.
    http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/North_Port_Cats.JPG

We don't live in a gated community. I'll get a coyote on my game camera before long. I'm now hearing them most nights. I'll post it. I really don't want a bear picture and they have never been reported within 20 miles.

The "pit bull" was just to trip your trigger. Ignore it, but yes I am for real, and know coyotes can be a threat to a small dog or pet.
  • DevodudDevodud Posts: 354 Officer

Tell that to the people that have been been killed or maimed by coyotes when they packed up. It doesn't happen often, but it has happened and will happen again.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/28/taylor-mitchell-singerson_n_337836.html
    "If you're gunna be stupid, you gotta be tough"
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,084 Captain
    One bear per 2,400 acres? I'm jealous.

Ain't that the truth. I can show you 3 or 4 on 40 (yes, I know they just pass through - but one is an absolute brute!). Or, on my old lease of 2700 acres and just on my 3 cameras, about 8 different bears.

If it's only a single, yes, not much to worry about. A pack of them, however, can pose a real threat to people and pets. If he's got that many in the neighborhood and seeing them regularly, I could understand carrying.
    Coincidentally American Hunter magazine this month (12/13) has an article "Predators at the Back Door". Very interesting with excellent photos. Focus is on problems with neighborhood coyotes, cougars and bears. Worth reading.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 2,978 Captain
    Nationwide, just how does or has bear hunting contributed to lessened people conflicts?

"Wildlife" and related Wild lands news coverage remains fairly quiet on the national scene but the image of angry Florida hunter ( armed with firearm most guaranteed to upset the general public- no place for Ruger No.1 here!.....this is war,wicked stuff,we need the very latest ,modern battle field examples.Lawton Chiles may not have cared for his Mini 14 but that was then) charging in to fragmented hunt country, in pursuit of "Pest" will be sure to blossom.

In Florida much Florida bear key habitat future land use remains in "Limbo".
    Protection of key Bear habitat might be the up front narrative.One might surmise the Hunt Community might embrace long term habitat protection.

If Teddy R. were alive and active in Florida today,he would be cast as "anti enviro".

One way to spare ourselves of Bear troubles might be to launch all out campaign for development of remaining bear country.JOBS!
    We can always hunt deer in the shadow of McDonalds building and a future Beltway. It's going on right now a few miles from where I write this. Just a few more miles the key Bear habitat (and key public, private lease human hunt habitat; Ocala To Osceola Corridor) occurs.Give up half in the name of reason. Go ahead,pick one half.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,450 Admiral
    Bear/Human encounters are on the rise, especially in the area of the attack. Yes, people build houses in bear territory. That's been going on for a while now. Two things that need to happen: People need to stop feeding them (garbage, goodies in an open garage, etc..), and a method (see hunting) to reinforce their natural fear of the apex predator.

Now I'm not saying to indiscriminately kill as many bears as possible, just a few per year to keep them in balance.
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
    As I have said in a prior post. We have relatives that live in the Pocono Mountains in PA. They are surrounded by what is termed "State Game Lands" (WMAs). Bears enter their gated community occasionally. In their 30+ years there they can not remember a bear incident other than a few bird feeders being destroyed. These bears fear human contact and avoid it whenever possible. IMO that is only because PA has a bear season that serves to keep the bear numbers in check and, most importantly, instills in the bear a fear of human interaction. It may take more than this one bear attack to wake people up. It will happen.

Tell that to the girl in Canada that was killed by them going for a walk.
    These bears fear human contact and avoid it whenever possible. IMO that is only because PA has a bear season that serves to keep the bear numbers in check and, most importantly, instills in the bear a fear of human interaction.

Yep, they have to have fear. Folks feeding them, not shooting at them........makes em bolder
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 21,693 AG
    The fact is, ignorant people will have problems with bears and informed people will not.

You can be the problem and whine like a little *****, or you can educate your self and live a happy, successful and superior life.

http://myfwc.com/conservation/you-conserve/wildlife/black-bears/
    Living in Bear Country

For many people seeing a black bear is a thrilling, rewarding experience. The presence of bears is not necessarily a problem or a threat to your safety. But it is important to remember that bears are wild animals and deserve respect. If you are not careful, you could break the law and risk both your own safety and the bear's. Follow this advice closely to keep the bears wild and your property secure.
    A Fed Bear is a Dead Bear

bear-trashcans.jpgProblems arise when bears have access to food sources such as pet foods, garbage, barbecue grills, bird seed or even livestock feed. Bears are adaptable and learn very quickly to associate people with food. Even though black bears are normally too shy to risk contact with humans, their powerful need to find food can overwhelm this fear.

Bears can smell food from over a mile away. Bears will travel great distances to track down these tasty smells and often cross roadways and bridges to do so- which creates risk to not only themselves, but to motorists as well.

bear-eatingjpg.jpgBears are driven by their need to eat, so anything that is easily accessible and can be eaten is a potential bear attractant. Presently, garbage is by far the biggest bear attractant in Florida. The calories a bear can consume by picking through one garbage can often surpasses the forage they can find in an entire day. Check out our flier "In a Bear's Quest for Calories…" It compares common types of human foods with the amount of acorns a bear would have to find to get the same amount of calories.

Bear Pie Chart

It is important to keep the temptation of garbage away from bears, because the more "food-conditioned" (dependent on a food source) they become, the more likely they are to frequent residential areas and cause property damage to get these unnatural food sources.

Bears are very intelligent animals that can be attracted into residential and other human-occupied areas. Over time, they become "habituated," and gradually lose their fear of humans. These bears will usually return more frequently and tend to become bolder around people.

Bears are naturally fearful of people - until we tempt them with easily accessible food.Once bears find an area that has food they will continue to forage in the area until the food source is removed. It takes some time (up to several weeks) even after preventative methods have been implemented before the persistent bear will understand that the food source is no longer available.

Preventing access to food is the most important thing you can do to keep bears wild and out of your neighborhood.

The more a bear becomes dependent on unnatural foods, the less likely its chances of survival. Once bears lose their fear of people, there is often little hope to make the bear wild again. These habituated and food conditioned bears are often killed, either by vehicle collisions, illegal shooting, or as a result of bear management actions to keep the community safe.

bear-trashcan.jpgPeople ask why problem bears can't simply be relocated to a "wilderness area where they won't bother anyone." Unfortunately, areas that are large and remote enough to move bears where they won't encounter people are rare in Florida. Relocated bears typically leave the new area, either to return to their original home or to leave an area already occupied by other bears. Some bears will wander through unfamiliar areas and cross busy roads, creating a danger to the bear and to motorists.

Bears that do remain in the relocation area often exhibit the same problem behavior, which just shifts the problem to a new community. As a result, relocation is not an effective solution to bear conflicts.

statewide-bear-calls.gif

bear-birdfeeder.jpgWildlife biologists can provide free technical advice to residents who live in bear country to help them take actions that will discourage the bears from becoming a problem in the first place. The FWC is committed to ensuring the long-term wellbeing of the black bear while addressing property damage and safety concerns of residents and visitors to our state.

It is easy to live in harmony with bears and save their lives by simply securing the temptation of trash and other attractants. There are several ways to do this: get volunteers to build a caddy (or shed) to protect your garbage cans; secure your trash within a bear-resistant container; put up an electric fence around livestock or beeyards; and any of these other successful options.
    If a Bear Comes into Your Yard

If a bear is in your yard, make sure that 1) you are in a safe area, and 2) the bear has a clear escape route, then 3) SCARE THAT BEAR Adobe PDF!

You want to let the bear know it is not welcome in your yard, so scare it away by yelling, banging pots and pans, use an air horn, or anything else that makes a lot of noise. Once the bear leaves, take a look in your yard to ensure there is nothing that might be attracting the bear Adobe PDF. If you see a bear is eating something on your property, take note of what it is and secure it once the bear leaves (Learn how at Living with Bears).

See our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) to get an idea of how to handle a bear in your yard or in the wild.

To keep bears away, make sure you follow this advice:

Secure household garbage in a shed, garage or a wildlife-resistant container (like a bear-resistant container or caddy).
    Put household garbage out on morning of pickup rather than the night before.
    Secure commercial garbage in bear-resistant dumpsters.
    Protect gardens, apiaries, compost and livestock with electric fencing.
    Encourage your homeowners association or local government to institute ordinances on keeping foods that attract wildlife secure.
    Feed pets indoors or bring in dishes after feeding.
    Clean grills and store them in a locked, secure place.
    Remove wildlife feeders or make them bear-resistant.
    Pick ripe fruit from trees and remove fallen fruit from the ground - bears love fruit!
    Screened enclosures ARE NOT SECURE and WILL NOT keep bears out.

bear-electricfence.jpgYou can also purchase or build your own bear or wildlife resistant garbage containers or caddy.

Making these changes around your home and encouraging your neighbors to do the same will discourage bears from associating your community with an easy food source. Remember - if your neighbors don't become bear smart, too, the bear can tear up their yard…before coming for yours.

It is illegal to intentionally place food or garbage out that attracts bears and causes conflicts. Anything that attracts dogs, cats or raccoons will attract bears, too!

If you see or suspect that someone is feeding or attracting bears, please call us at our Wildlife Alert Hotline - 888-404-3922 - or contact us online.

Black Bear Distribution Map
    Rules and Regulations
    Bears and Roads
    Recreating in Bear Country
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • mattb78mattb78 Posts: 159 Officer
    I am familiar with the "bears were here first" argument. Where the attacked occurred, Markham Woods Rd, there hasn't been many new homes built since the early 1980's. All those neighborhoods back up to the preserve and there isn't any room left.. hasn't been for years. It is a fairly small corridor between I-4 and the preserve and the area was built up over 30 years ago.

There have always been bears there, there are just alot more now.

I am a hunter and I don't fear bears. For the most part, they are harmless. But I see the difference between the bears in our neighborhood and the bears on our deer lease. The latter run away from you and the former act like you are bothering them. Many of them have become pretty brazen about human encounters.

The bears need to be thinned, that is all. They population is too high for their habitat and they are wandering around hungry. For the most part, everyone loves to see the wildlife in our neighborhood, it is one of the reasons many of us chose to live there.

I certainly hope this is an isolated attack. But if the bear population continues to increase I feel more incidents are inevitable.
    Cyclist wrote: »
    The fact is, ignorant people will have problems with bears and informed people will not.

You can be the problem and whine like a little *****, or you can educate your self and live a happy, successful and superior life.

http://myfwc.com/conservation/you-conserve/wildlife/black-bears/
    Living in Bear Country

For many people seeing a black bear is a thrilling, rewarding experience. The presence of bears is not necessarily a problem or a threat to your safety. But it is important to remember that bears are wild animals and deserve respect. If you are not careful, you could break the law and risk both your own safety and the bear's. Follow this advice closely to keep the bears wild and your property secure.
    A Fed Bear is a Dead Bear

bear-trashcans.jpgProblems arise when bears have access to food sources such as pet foods, garbage, barbecue grills, bird seed or even livestock feed. Bears are adaptable and learn very quickly to associate people with food. Even though black bears are normally too shy to risk contact with humans, their powerful need to find food can overwhelm this fear.

Bears can smell food from over a mile away. Bears will travel great distances to track down these tasty smells and often cross roadways and bridges to do so- which creates risk to not only themselves, but to motorists as well.

bear-eatingjpg.jpgBears are driven by their need to eat, so anything that is easily accessible and can be eaten is a potential bear attractant. Presently, garbage is by far the biggest bear attractant in Florida. The calories a bear can consume by picking through one garbage can often surpasses the forage they can find in an entire day. Check out our flier "In a Bear's Quest for Calories…" It compares common types of human foods with the amount of acorns a bear would have to find to get the same amount of calories.

Bear Pie Chart

It is important to keep the temptation of garbage away from bears, because the more "food-conditioned" (dependent on a food source) they become, the more likely they are to frequent residential areas and cause property damage to get these unnatural food sources.

Bears are very intelligent animals that can be attracted into residential and other human-occupied areas. Over time, they become "habituated," and gradually lose their fear of humans. These bears will usually return more frequently and tend to become bolder around people.

Bears are naturally fearful of people - until we tempt them with easily accessible food.Once bears find an area that has food they will continue to forage in the area until the food source is removed. It takes some time (up to several weeks) even after preventative methods have been implemented before the persistent bear will understand that the food source is no longer available.

Preventing access to food is the most important thing you can do to keep bears wild and out of your neighborhood.

The more a bear becomes dependent on unnatural foods, the less likely its chances of survival. Once bears lose their fear of people, there is often little hope to make the bear wild again. These habituated and food conditioned bears are often killed, either by vehicle collisions, illegal shooting, or as a result of bear management actions to keep the community safe.

bear-trashcan.jpgPeople ask why problem bears can't simply be relocated to a "wilderness area where they won't bother anyone." Unfortunately, areas that are large and remote enough to move bears where they won't encounter people are rare in Florida. Relocated bears typically leave the new area, either to return to their original home or to leave an area already occupied by other bears. Some bears will wander through unfamiliar areas and cross busy roads, creating a danger to the bear and to motorists.

Bears that do remain in the relocation area often exhibit the same problem behavior, which just shifts the problem to a new community. As a result, relocation is not an effective solution to bear conflicts.

statewide-bear-calls.gif

bear-birdfeeder.jpgWildlife biologists can provide free technical advice to residents who live in bear country to help them take actions that will discourage the bears from becoming a problem in the first place. The FWC is committed to ensuring the long-term wellbeing of the black bear while addressing property damage and safety concerns of residents and visitors to our state.

It is easy to live in harmony with bears and save their lives by simply securing the temptation of trash and other attractants. There are several ways to do this: get volunteers to build a caddy (or shed) to protect your garbage cans; secure your trash within a bear-resistant container; put up an electric fence around livestock or beeyards; and any of these other successful options.
    If a Bear Comes into Your Yard

If a bear is in your yard, make sure that 1) you are in a safe area, and 2) the bear has a clear escape route, then 3) SCARE THAT BEAR Adobe PDF!

You want to let the bear know it is not welcome in your yard, so scare it away by yelling, banging pots and pans, use an air horn, or anything else that makes a lot of noise. Once the bear leaves, take a look in your yard to ensure there is nothing that might be attracting the bear Adobe PDF. If you see a bear is eating something on your property, take note of what it is and secure it once the bear leaves (Learn how at Living with Bears).

See our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) to get an idea of how to handle a bear in your yard or in the wild.

To keep bears away, make sure you follow this advice:

Secure household garbage in a shed, garage or a wildlife-resistant container (like a bear-resistant container or caddy).
    Put household garbage out on morning of pickup rather than the night before.
    Secure commercial garbage in bear-resistant dumpsters.
    Protect gardens, apiaries, compost and livestock with electric fencing.
    Encourage your homeowners association or local government to institute ordinances on keeping foods that attract wildlife secure.
    Feed pets indoors or bring in dishes after feeding.
    Clean grills and store them in a locked, secure place.
    Remove wildlife feeders or make them bear-resistant.
    Pick ripe fruit from trees and remove fallen fruit from the ground - bears love fruit!
    Screened enclosures ARE NOT SECURE and WILL NOT keep bears out.

bear-electricfence.jpgYou can also purchase or build your own bear or wildlife resistant garbage containers or caddy.

Making these changes around your home and encouraging your neighbors to do the same will discourage bears from associating your community with an easy food source. Remember - if your neighbors don't become bear smart, too, the bear can tear up their yard…before coming for yours.

It is illegal to intentionally place food or garbage out that attracts bears and causes conflicts. Anything that attracts dogs, cats or raccoons will attract bears, too!

If you see or suspect that someone is feeding or attracting bears, please call us at our Wildlife Alert Hotline - 888-404-3922 - or contact us online.

Black Bear Distribution Map
    Rules and Regulations
    Bears and Roads
    Recreating in Bear Country

@! should that ever come into play for me? I could understand if this were oh......I dunno...........1845.
    They need to be hunted. The "natural" fear FWC mentions, will pass (probably has) after a few generations of the bears "learning" they have no threat (just like they "learn" where the free food is).

Funny you mention ignorant people. YOU of all people should know what ignorance (like real important stuff) can do to a country. And you think its possible to educate city people about bears? Oh my
    Too many stories of coyotes attacking dogs while being walked on a leash for me not to be prepared. Care too much for the dog to let that happen. We occasionally get free running pit bulls and other vermin also.

This is from our neighborhood. He got a pass even though they are not near as afraid of human contact as they should be.
    32512BOB.jpg

Try to add one more. It usually has a problem loading. You will need to click on it.
    http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/North_Port_Cats.JPG

We don't live in a gated community. I'll get a coyote on my game camera before long. I'm now hearing them most nights. I'll post it. I really don't want a bear picture and they have never been reported within 20 miles.

The "pit bull" was just to trip your trigger. Ignore it, but yes I am for real, and know coyotes can be a threat to a small dog or pet.

Have you ever read past the headlines on those stories? If you looked into the stories of coyotes being snatched off of leashes, you would know that virtually all coyote attacks on leashed pets are on flexi leads where there is some distance between the dog and the owner.

The chances of your dog getting snatched by a coyote on a regular leash... Is between nil and none.

And I am going to address Devodud and Ol Mucky's concerns about attacks are rare, on this same post because they all intertwine.

First of all let me say I am not in awe or in love with coyotes. I wish I could kill every single one in the state. I feel the same way the hogs. They do not belong here.

But that being said. I RESPECT them. But I respect their brains not their brawn. Because there is no brawn to speak of?

How many have ya'll have your hands on? I have had my hands on a bunch. And being my other hobby is well bred dogs, I know more than a fair amount about canine structure. They are a VERY VERY light framed animal. They have a lot of coat, and will put on fat reserves if they are eating well. But structurally they are very similar to sight hounds. Sometimes folks compare then to a border collie but a border collie is a MUCH more powerful animal. They are probably closest in structure to whippets. The average man can snap the leg bone of a large male like it was kindling wood.

The coyotes success is all because of their brain combined with a very efficient animal. They just are not powerful. Do they take some dogs. Yes... They are smarter than most dogs. They have been documented to lure a dog and then gang up on one. But it is still rare. Will they take a small dog if the opportunity arises? Yes and no. Most small pet dogs are on the menu.... Toy breeds, etc. But some of the very small terriers will take out a coyote. Take a working line Game Bred Jack Russell versus a coyote. I am betting on the Jack. Step up to something like a Jagdterrier or Patterdale. And I would bet BIG money. I would bet my house on a decent Jagd. I had the pleasure if you will of watching a hunting buddies little (14 pounds maybe) Patterdale Bi tch go up against a coyote. It last maybe 30 seconds before we got to her. We knocked the coyote in the head but he was on his way out regardless. She had him down by the throat and had already cut off his wind and crushed his windpipe. All we did is speed things up a bit. She had it handled.

I realize most people do not own a 14 pound dog that hunts hogs a few nights a week. But lets go back to pet dogs walked on a leash. All dogs are predators. Chihuahuas all the way up Irish Wolfhounds... Predators... They look like predators they smell like predators. So do we. Our eyes face forward. (which is natures universal signature of predators.) Eagles, wolves, cats etc all have forward facing eyes. And unless you are a vegetarian you smell like a predator. They smell the meat on your skin, in your sweat and on your breath.

So you are walking your teacup otterhound down the road and a coyote sees ya'll walking along. What he sees is a big predator walking with a small predator. And since coyotes are not past taking a small predator, he is confused. He is wondering why the big predator does not eat the small predator. He probably wishes the big predator would. He could get some scraps. But he might follow this odd pair of predators...Maybe the little predator will wander off away from the big one... Won't take much... Just a little bit so I can snatch it up the little predator and be gone before the big predator can react. ...... Just like a dog on a flexi lead......

Now... Look at the second factor in the majority of dogs snatched off of leashes... It would be easy to assume... Well old people have little dogs.... Well old people smell old... Past their prime. They move slow. Look frail..... And the a pouring off CO2. Old animals... Sick animals... All animals including people give off much more CO2 than animals in their prime... Ever owned an old dog and a young dog at the same time and had a hard time keeping the fleas off the old dog but the young dog never gets any fleas??? CO2...
    And CO2 is odorless to us. But not to anything with a usable sense of smell. And certainly not to anything in the canine family.

So the old man walking his frilled teacup lizard hound is going to cause the coyote to take a second look. It is not going to take too much of a mistake to cause the coyote to think real hard about taking the little predator from the old worn out predator...

But take a male human from 15 to 60.... You STINK of a meat eating, testosterone laden, predator. In short you stink of Dominant male.

And what about women? Well Pre Menapause, she stinks like a brood sow.... The coyote has probably tried to snatch a piglet from a sow and got his **** handed to him...

Now the human attacks..... You could spend your life in coyote country. Living sleeping eating etc with coyotes all around you.... And fly into New York City one time in your life, NEVER leave the secure area of the airport, and you have a better chance of being mugged three times than ever having a worry about a coyote.

And then there is this...

You areQuite capable of turning yourself from predator into prey. Case in point...
    http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/24107779/johns-creek-teen-lucky-to-be-alive-after-coyote-encounter#axzz2mYxg9T4C
    Among wildlife you only run if you are chasing something or something is chasing you. And you only run from other animals you are afraid of. And if you are afraid of them there is a reason. The attached article is a case in point. Young woman running along... Sees a coyote and KEEPS running away from the coyote.. So the coyote chased. Her little dog knew better and when he that chance he turned to fight.

If a coyote is tailing you.... turn around and run at him. I do not care if it is three or four.... They will haul ****.

You don't need a gun to protect yourself or your dog from a coyote.... You just need to be as smart and observant as they are.
  • spfldbowhunterspfldbowhunter Posts: 889 Officer
    And what about women? Well Pre Menapause, she stinks like a brood sow...

With lines like that you must be a regular Don Juan with the ladies...
    Eph. 3:20

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file