Braid and Grouper Questions

natecertnatecert Posts: 199 Deckhand
I have not used braid since the Fire line first came out years ago. At that time I just did not like it. Recently I set up a grouper stick with 65# pp and a 10' top shot of 50# mono. The feel for bottom is much better and on the drift there is less scope on the line. I fish mostly in 50'-100' of water.

What I find is there seems to be more pulled hooks and instead of a strong pull/surge of the fish, it's like a hard jerk when the fish tries for the bottom at the begining of the fight.

Should I use a longer top shot for a little more stretch or is just me getting used to the feel of braid? What else do you guys do? Thanks for the help.

Replies

• nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,350 Admiral
    I use 3 feet of leader.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 3,993 Moderator
    natecert wrote: »
    What I find is there seems to be more pulled hooks and instead of a strong pull/surge of the fish, it's like a hard jerk when the fish tries for the bottom at the begining of the fight.

That's why I prefer ALL MONO for bottom fishing, especially grouper.
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,369 Officer
    I use 100 # Power Pro and 80# fluorocarbon leader with the drag locked down. Almost never have a pulled hook. Remember, with circle hooks, let the fish set the hook. If you try to set the hook, you'll most likely miss the fish.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,053 Captain
    It's best to use a rod with some flexibility when using braid for grouper. If you use a broom stick, the fish will feel the resistance before it makes the turn that would engage the circle hook. Then when you try to set up on the fish, the hook pulls out. Some folks even dip the rod before starting to reel when using circle hooks. The extra depth the fish gets by doing this is actually less than it would get if you were fishing stretchy mono.
  • Doc1Doc1 Posts: 65 Greenhorn
    I use 60# braid with 6' 40-50# flouro leader. I mostly jig fish, i like the feel of the braid. I leave my drag a little light and rely om my thumb to decide when to put the hammer down. I have used mono many times, but I don't feel the fight as i do with the braid, bigger rush in my opinion
  • mjhproductionsmjhproductions Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    natecert wrote: »
    I have not used braid since the Fire line first came out years ago. At that time I just did not like it. Recently I set up a grouper stick with 65# pp and a 10' top shot of 50# mono. The feel for bottom is much better and on the drift there is less scope on the line. I fish mostly in 50'-100' of water.

Should I use a longer top shot for a little more stretch or is just me getting used to the feel of braid? What else do you guys do? Thanks for the help.

A longer leader will help but the rod flex is very important when using braid at the depths you are fishing. We all have that fist reaction to yank back like we are in the Bassmater Classic, but if you just start reeling down the rod will do the work! Good luck!
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,151 Admiral
    I use ~25' of 80lb mono leader...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' / 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons or Limits :banghead
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 10,987 AG

I'm with you Jack.

Tried the braid route many years ago and would never go back.
    Fisherman.gif

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,095 Admiral
    I use ~25' of 80lb mono leader...

Pretty much this but I'm using 60lb top shot @ 25'. If I was over 100' I'd go 80lb.
  • Capt. PantsCapt. Pants Posts: 656 Officer
    I couldn't agree more... Jack and I had this conversation on our last trip together, and I assure you I pulled way more hooks and lost many more... I switched back to braid for "that" trip, and immediately switched right back... I "troll" for gags with braid, but bottom fish MONO...
  • natecertnatecert Posts: 199 Deckhand
    Thanks for all the input. I will try going to 20' of mono and see if it helps. MY go to rod is 6'6" rated at 30-50 lb. The reel is a TLD 25. Generally I leave it at free spool and feed some line at the strike and then engage to the strike position. I have not tested the drag pull off the reel but think it is about 15 lb. My best guess is that I just have not given the brad a good chance.
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,365 Admiral
    Mango Man wrote: »
    I'm with you Jack.

Tried the braid route many years ago and would never go back.

agreed.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,799 Moderator
    Definitely a learning curve with the circle hooks.

Most of my fishing is 140 - 225 feet. I fish 80 braid and probably 40 or 50 feet of eighty mono. Provides some stretch and if you have a really big live bait you never need to worry about lead sliding onto braid. Bad things happen if braid gets spun around mono as lead pulls rig down. Big fish = time to re rig. If you go straight to swivel and then mono leader this will happen a lot. You'll go to load up on one and bust your gear off. I suspect a lot of the "Brand A sucks. Lost two good fish on it" is a result of no top shot or a very short one.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file