Shimano Stradic 4000MGFA Anti reverse problem?

DragScreamerDragScreamer Posts: 1,475 Officer
I inherited my grandpa's Stradic MGFA a few years ago and has been great. But after the monthly maintenance I did a month ago the anti-reverse has never been the same. it has a lot of play and isn't instant anymore. It feels more like an old dog anti reverse system, and it's not instant anymore. Also in some cases the anti-reverse won't even function properly even with the anti-reverse switch on the reel is switched to the proper position. And then I reel the reel again and the anti reverse kicks in again. Anyone know how to fix this problem? I have never had this problem with other Shimano reels. I would love to still be able to use this once awesome reel for a few more years if possible.
Let's go fishing!

Replies

• BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 4,403 Captain
    Did you make the maintenance opening completely the reel ?

Because the ball bearing on the pignon gear is conic and must be mounted in the right way in order to work as a "drum brake" inside the roller clutch activated by anti reverse switch.
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English

My YouTube Channel

I'm typing with my "pasta hole" closed :grin !
    Being politically correct is a self-inflicted slavery.
  • DragScreamerDragScreamer Posts: 1,475 Officer
    Ballak wrote: »
    Did you make the maintenance opening completely the reel ?

Because the ball bearing on the pignon gear is conic and must be mounted in the right way in order to work as a "drum brake" inside the roller clutch activated by anti reverse switch.

Yes I made sure to put everything back the way it was originally connected. I think I need a new AR bearing. Will shimano sell me one?
    Let's go fishing!
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 4,403 Captain
    I think so.

In Italy the Shimano service is usually very good (not common for our standard) and I think that in USA should be also good.

The following should be the schematics of your reel:
    http://schematics.planetseafishing.com/downloads/shimano/fixed-spool/stradic-series/stradic-st4000mgfa(2005).pdf

I had experienced the same problem, as I said, mounting the 7934 bearing inverted; and also I had problems when a little of grease was moved between the bearing and the roller clutch (6130).
    In any case could also be a problem of corrosion/demage on steel cylinders into the roller clutch (they blocks the bearing for reverse rotation, so they are the anti reverse devices).
    On ebay I found the rollor clutch replacement at about 15$ ;) but my suggestion is to ask at official Shimano Shop in order to check the problem.
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English

My YouTube Channel

I'm typing with my "pasta hole" closed :grin !
    Being politically correct is a self-inflicted slavery.
  • DragScreamerDragScreamer Posts: 1,475 Officer
    Ballak wrote: »
    I think so.

In Italy the Shimano service is usually very good (not common for our standard) and I think that in USA should be also good.

The following should be the schematics of your reel:
    http://schematics.planetseafishing.com/downloads/shimano/fixed-spool/stradic-series/stradic-st4000mgfa(2005).pdf

I had experienced the same problem, as I said, mounting the 7934 bearing inverted; and also I had problems when a little of grease was moved between the bearing and the roller clutch (6130).
    In any case could also be a problem of corrosion/demage on steel cylinders into the roller clutch (they blocks the bearing for reverse rotation, so they are the anti reverse devices).
    On ebay I found the rollor clutch replacement at about 15$ ;) but my suggestion is to ask at official Shimano Shop in order to check the problem.

Ok thank you!
    Let's go fishing!
  • bantam1bantam1 Posts: 541 Officer
    I suggest replacing the bearing and moving on. The bearings can be cleaned and worked on, but it's cheap insurance to just replace the bearing. Excess oil can cause the bearing to slip and they are not the easiest thing to reassemble if you took it apart.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 3,934 Captain
    I am having a similar problem, this is an old thread but it came up when I did a search so I am adding to it. I found this video, it is pretty good, hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcCUYNxTYLg
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • CageyCagey Posts: 611 Officer
    Local Shimano warranty reel repair center: http://www.kelsrodreel.com/

Located in Casselberry just north of Orlando. Basic fix without parts is $20. Complete reel disassemble, clean and lube is $29.80 plus parts. The reel is worth it.

Its an easy fix!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file