quick scallop recipe?

smooth movesmooth move Posts: 384 Deckhand
looking for a quick scallop recipe. will be in a rent house next week in Destin and don't want to have to buy a bunch of spices and ingredients. we'll do a scallop trip to pt st joe, and would like to eat em that night, never had scallops that fresh. thanks
le se' bon ton roulet

Replies

• ElementElement Posts: 1,749 Officer
    Melt butter in pan, sauté scallops until just done, salt to taste. That's as good as it gets.

I'm a firm believer that great seafood, particularly shellfish, is best left alone. Lobster, crabs, shrimp, scallops and clams are never as good loaded with herbs and sauces as they are with just a little butter and salt...never. Ever.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,829 Moderator
    You'll never eat a store bought bay scallop ever again... I promise.

Sautéed in some EVEOO, butter and garlic is might fine over some angel hair. One thing that might surprise you is the amount of moister that comes out of the fresh ones. Be sure to pat them dry before tossing in. If you have a cast iron skillet that will hold a little more heat and will help sear them.

I love sautéing them like that and maybe toss some pressed garlic in there. Lightly salt and pepper, melt some more butter and then pour it over some scallops and angel hair. Garnish with some diced green onion for color and a little flavor. Soak that butter / oil up with some French bread and you're set.

I do the same thing with frozen ones, but will occasionally add very thinly sliced white onion (which basically disappears) some sun dried tomatoes and just a few minced kalamata olives (just don't use too many of these as they can take over).

Then if want to really get crazy, do the same thing (sun dried tomato with shrimp and / or clams). Keep the shrimp shells and make a reduced stock with them. Add cream and parmesan... you now have a shrimp based alfredo sauce. Pour this over clams, scallops and srhimps and you're in business!

Another really good one that's light and easy with the fresh scallops is to sauté them and then take big chunks of tamatos and feta. Just pour greek salad dressing (like Ken's) over them. Drain your cooked scallops (with shrimp also good), then fold in the tomato eighths, olives, feta intot he hot pan of seafood and fold it all together for maybe a minute or so. Just enough to coat it all in feta and warm the tomaos. That over some linguine is the stuff.

I'm also never afraid toss in just a pinch of cayenne for a little warmth.

Keep in mind, I also use a LOT of scallops per person, so the sacues / seasoning / veggies really compliment and don't take compete... nor are they taken over.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • SwamplizardSwamplizard Posts: 59 Deckhand
    Skewer them make a garlic butter and white wine marinade and grill them it's the best way
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 384 Deckhand
    don't know how many we'll get. the weather doesn't look like it's going to cooperate. hopefully we'll get enough to try both the searing and grilling, both make my mouth water. thanks
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,267 AG
    Element wrote: »
    I'm a firm believer that great seafood, particularly shellfish, is best left alone. . . . with just a little butter and salt.

We went to the same school.
    I’m only responsible for what I say -- not for what others think they understand.

Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the "m" is silent.

America! Keep calm and return fire.

:USA
  • Paul MarxPaul Marx Posts: 34 Deckhand
    Take me with you and we'll figure out something. Good luck Roger. Are we the only dirty water fishermen on this site ? LOL
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Melt some butter a tad of EVOO in pan.

Sear scallops (just salt and pepper to tase)

Remove scallops, deglaze pan with white wine, add another pat or two of butter and squeeze half a lemon into Pan. Whisk together sauce on med. heat until thickened, pour over scallops OR save on side for the purists.

Honestly, it's nothing crazy. Just good 'ole fashioned "picatta" White wine, butter and lemon = seafoods best friend.
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • Slo Poke1Slo Poke1 Posts: 313 Deckhand
    Flour, hot veggie oil, salt, eat.
    Paul Marx wrote: »
    Take me with you and we'll figure out something. Good luck Roger. Are we the only dirty water fishermen on this site ? LOL

i don't think so, some of these guys fish in the mud. good bunch of folks. check out some of their recipes. they know good food also! see ya when i get home.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • q3131aq3131a Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Leave them on the 1/2 shell. Mix olive oil, melted butter, old bay and a pinch of salt. Lightly brush the scallops and then grill over high heat until the butter just starts to bake on the shell.
  • smhsmh Posts: 216 Deckhand
    ZimmerNole wrote: »
    Melt some butter a tad of EVOO in pan.

Sear scallops (just salt and pepper to tase)

Remove scallops, deglaze pan with white wine, add another pat or two of butter and squeeze half a lemon into Pan. Whisk together sauce on med. heat until thickened, pour over scallops OR save on side for the purists.

Honestly, it's nothing crazy. Just good 'ole fashioned "picatta" White wine, butter and lemon = seafoods best friend.

I tried this the other night, and it was awesome! We soaked up the extra reduced sauce with some crusty bread that was lightly coated with olive oil and minced garlic, then toasted in the oven.
  • SHELLFISHSHELLFISH Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    I eat a lot of Shellfish and hence my name! I also agree that shellfish is best done simple but Zimmers post sounds interesting!
    Shellfish over angle hair is best!
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    smh wrote: »
    I tried this the other night, and it was awesome! We soaked up the extra reduced sauce with some crusty bread that was lightly coated with olive oil and minced garlic, then toasted in the oven.

Glad I could help!!! I use this same recipe for ALL white meat fish (snapper, grouper is best though)

Only difference, season the fish (your choice, S&P, Garlic, lemon pepper, everglades heat whatever....) I just don't season scallops as I'd prefer to save the natural sweetness and delicateness of the shellfish. LIGHTLY FLOUR the fish fillets, just enough to coat. This is what gives you the sear/crunch on the outside.

The rest is the same. 2:1 butter to EVOO in the pan, cook the fish, deglaze pan, add lemon, some minced garlic and another few pats of butter. Whisk on medium til thickened and pour over fish. Add fresh parsley at the end for a nice touch as well. AMAZING! and SIMPLE!
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,167 Officer
    I know I'm late, and I didn't see anybody mention it so...

When you pansear scallops it's important to make sure you firmly pat them dry on all sides. Lightly salt then cook them on both sides in a hot pan with a little oil. Time will depend on the size but you don't want to see the tops shriveling or the scallops shrinking. When they are barely translucent, they are ready to remove. Usually a minute or two will do. Carry over heat will finish them. And don't crowd the pan, 3 or 4 nice big sea scallops in your 8 inch pan is enough or else they will steam in their liquid they give off instead of searing nicely.

Remove and set aside the scallops. Make your sauce in the same pan. Then plate sauce, scallops and sauce. If you try to cook your scallops in the sauce as you prepare it, your scallops will be overcooked and usually shriveled, tough and dry.

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: www.neflbaitco-op.com

2013 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

• Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,267 AG
    ZimmerNole wrote: »
    . . . . Just good 'ole fashioned "picatta" White wine, butter and lemon = seafoods best friend.

I hear that!

:Rockon
    I’m only responsible for what I say -- not for what others think they understand.

Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the "m" is silent.

America! Keep calm and return fire.

:USA
    Element wrote: »
    Melt butter in pan, sauté scallops until just done, salt to taste. That's as good as it gets.

I'm a firm believer that great seafood, particularly shellfish, is best left alone. Lobster, crabs, shrimp, scallops and clams are never as good loaded with herbs and sauces as they are with just a little butter and salt...never. Ever.
    that's how we did it and they were great. next year we'll stay longer in Pt St Joe and get a bigger stash. i want to try a bisque.
    le se' bon ton roulet

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file