Is a foul hooked fish still a legit catch?

superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,913 Officer
Obviously if you brought it in and got a hold of it, its a catch.
But if you were record hunting, or in competition, is it still a catch?

I cant remember all the PTTS crap with foul hooking and all that, it happens, but it it legit? is a leader touch still a leader touch if its foul hooked?

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,783 Captain
    In tournament fishing foul hooks don't count.
  • CarloCarlo Posts: 344 Deckhand
    If the fish you were trying to catch hit the bait your were throwing, live or artificial, and you got it into the boat, why wouldn't you consider it a catch? Foul or not?
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 3,984 Moderator
    IGFA rules say that a fish would be disqualified if it is "intentionally" foul hooked. If a fish is unintentionally foul hooked, that is, hooked in a place other than the mouth,face,and it was not the anglers intention to hook it there, it would be a legal catch, if boated and all the other IGFA regulations are followed
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,151 Admiral
    If foul hooked fish didn't count in King Tourneys ~1/2 the fish would be DQ'd...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' / 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons or Limits :banghead
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,913 Officer
    IGFA rules say that a fish would be disqualified if it is "intentionally" foul hooked. If a fish is unintentionally foul hooked, that is, hooked in a place other than the mouth,face,and it was not the anglers intention to hook it there, it would be a legal catch, if boated and all the other IGFA regulations are followed

:thumbsup

there we go, thanks.
  • JonathanT305JonathanT305 Posts: 164 Officer
    How can you prove it was intentional or not?

My first slot snook was falhooked. Right in the tail, I didn't even set the hook. I guess he was playing around with it... I was catching pinfish at the time on cut squid too. That was a surprise.
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 7,773 Admiral
    I am surprised nobody mentioned that it is ILLEGAL to keep a foul-hooked fish!
    23895.gif
  • JonathanT305JonathanT305 Posts: 164 Officer
    Fish Haid wrote: »

Well we didn't keep it, it was in July around 8 years ago. About 32 inches from what I remember. It was a while ago. She was just my first snook, and my first slot snook too.
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    I am surprised nobody mentioned that it is ILLEGAL to keep a foul-hooked fish!:troll

But only warsaw over 400 pounds are illegal if foul-hooked. :banana
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,913 Officer

really? thats interesting.

gotta watch out for them satellites, watching everything!
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 3,984 Moderator
    How can you prove it was intentional or not?

My first slot snook was falhooked. Right in the tail, I didn't even set the hook. I guess he was playing around with it... I was catching pinfish at the time on cut squid too. That was a surprise.

Obviously that fish was not foul hooked intentionally
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,579 Captain
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that any foul hooked fish must be returned to the water, intentional or otherwise.
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    If foul hooked fish didn't count in King Tourneys ~1/2 the fish would be DQ'd...

Yes, and I'm surprised they allow "stinger rigs" in tournaments - or any form of "treble" hook or multiple hooks for that matter.
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    Scoutboat wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that any foul hooked fish must be returned to the water, intentional or otherwise.

As far as I know, it is only the certain species that snatch hooking is banned for.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    I've had jacks foul hook themselves attacking a top water, I've also had bonita/blackfin foul hook themselves while vertical jigging. Sometimes it just happens...

IMHO, if you cast out a line and a fish becomes hooked to it, you reel it in and bring it into the boat = catch. The PTTS "jig" isn't really a jig perse, it's just a glorified version of snagging fish. I've been to BG and the two times we were on guide boats not once did I see a tarpon with the jig in its mouth. I love to vertical jig out of my kayak, and yes I have foul hooked a few fish due to the violent nature of vertical/speed jiggin buy 99% of the fish I catch actually have the hooks in their mouths.

If you're using a snatch hook to "snag" a fish then that is an entirely different situation.
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • davidn7davidn7 Posts: 160 Officer
    not if youre looking for igfa record
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,579 Captain
    I think that applies to any "game" fish. It would be a long list.
  • Ron@.38 SpecialRon@.38 Special Posts: 6,617 Admiral
    There clearly is no Florida rule regarding unintentional foul hooking of any species. There are restrictions on when you can use multiple point hooks with natural baits.

Foul hooked is fair game!
  • dlagatordlagator Posts: 780 Officer
    bonephish wrote: »
    Yes, and I'm surprised they allow "stinger rigs" in tournaments - or any form of "treble" hook or multiple hooks for that matter.

Really? Then I guess artificials with trebles should also go away too....
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,905 Officer
    The way fishing goes sometimes, you would think a foul hooked fish was a blessing.. at least I
    would LOL...
    aa13.gif "A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file