First FS buck of the season... split brow tines

eorlandoeorlando Posts: 560 Officer
Well deer season officially kicked off for us this morning here in FL. It started off a little rocky but ended with sweet success.
My Alarm went off at 4 o'clock this morning. I was out of the house by 4:30 and out to my hunting spot by 5:15. I got to the tree I was going to climb and put my climber up against it and realized something wasn't right with my new hazamore seat. I fiddled around with it for about 15 minutes and couldn't get it figured out and decided it was time to climb the tree and that I would just have to stand for the morning. I was all ready and set up when the sun came up, except I had no where to sit. Right at daylight I catch movement… it's 2 does. They at 25 yards and they stop and know something was up and kind of wandered off in the other direction.

All the while I am sitting up in my stand trying to think of what I did wrong with the seat when it came to me so I messed around with it and got my seat working right. After that the sun was coming up and was beating down on me so I decided I would move my climber over a little bit to get out of the sun. I had my bow in my new thirdhand archery bow holder and as I was adjusting my stand and I bumped my bow and it went crashing 15 feet down into the palmettoes. It made me sick to my stomach. I climbed down and got my bow. I gave it the once over and everything looked okay but it was still in the back my mind something might be wrong with it. I climbed back up and got all settled in again and sat until about 1:45. I then decided it was time to go get some lunch so I hiked back out to the truck and ate my lunch. I decided I would try to be back up and stand by three and decided I was going to a take a little nap in the truck.

I just get my eyes closed when all of a sudden I'm hearing gunshots coming out from the road. I climb up in the back of my truck and stand on the roof my truck. I look through the binoculars and see three yahoos out there having target practice. I tried to call landowner but couldn't get a hold of him. My next call was to the sheriffs department. They gave me the runaround about sending somebody out see what was going on. Finally 45 minutes later a deputy arrived and I met him up there with the guys. They confirmed that they did have permission to be out there and they were just target practicing. He told him to leave and not come back. Now I'm thinking what else can go wrong. I drive my truck back to my spot and park now I'm contemplating whether or not I should go get back into the stand. I look to the north and it's pitch black with rain, thunder and lightning. I decided I better go sit as tomorrow I have to celebrate my wife's birthday and I won't be able to hunt at all and I'm back to work on Monday. So I slink back to my stand climb up and get settled by 4 o'clock. I was messing around on archery talk and the florida sportsman forum when I turn around and see a deer standing there. I slowly look around a little bit and I see two more deer to my left one at 30 yards and another one at 35. I guess I didn't hear them come in due to the light rain. The first deer I had seen I can't see its head as it is standing behind some bushes. The two does sit there for what seemed like forever. I was able to stand up ever so slowly and grab my bow. Finally they started walking to my right and I think this'll be perfect this buck is gonna follow right behind them.

The two does make a hard left away from me and head into a big cypress head. The buck is in their footsteps and I have one little window. He gets into the window and I baaaa and stop him he's quartering away pretty severely at 33 yards. I put my 30 yard in on his back rib and touch the release off the arrow of finds its mark. The buck and two does go crashing through the water. I watch them as far as I can and I see. It is really thick but I can see water splashing and then I see him fall. He gets back up falls again and then the woods are silent. I gave him 30 minutes anyway and climbdown from my tree stand. I tried to track what I could in the knee-deep water. Luckily I saw where he fell. I followed the trail he had taken and found where he had run into a paper tree and left some blood on it. I go a little further and find my arrow. Another 10 yards and there his is piled up.

I believe this is a buck I had on camera at the end of last year. I only got a few pictures of him last year. I believe he is an old deer. He was small and had scars all up and down his neck.
He ended up weighing hundred and 30 pounds on the hook. And I rough scored him at 99 inches gross. He had split brow tines on both sides but he broke off part of one of them on his left side.

My daughter could hardly wait for me to get home. She wanted to shoot him with "her" gun when I pulled in the driveway with him.

Image by e_orlando, on Flickr

_DSC1616 by e_orlando, on Flickr

_DSC1623 by e_orlando, on Flickr

_DSC1627 by e_orlando, on Flickr

_DSC1676 by e_orlando, on Flickr

_DSC1678 by e_orlando, on Flickr

_DSC1686 by e_orlando, on Flickr

_DSC1691 by e_orlando, on Flickr

_DSC1711 by e_orlando, on Flickr

_DSC1717 by e_orlando, on Flickr

• milkman2231milkman2231 Posts: 188 Officer
    Nice buck. Love those dark antlers.
    "Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them." Denny Gulvas.
  • mrbillmrbill Posts: 1,172 Officer
    very nice buck
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,454 Admiral
    Awesome buck! Way to get it done, Eric!!
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • gator4evergator4ever Posts: 2,503 Captain
    Way to get your daughter involved she will be sitting with you soon.
    "sometimes it's OK just to kill a little time" my grandpa 1972
  • A-boltA-bolt Posts: 110 Officer
    Nice deer! I love the chocolate antlers on those swamp deer.
  • huntmstrhuntmstr Posts: 6,284 Admiral
    Nice job Eric!
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

I had you pissed off at hello.
  • DONY 1DONY 1 Posts: 557 Officer
    Great job. Congrats!
    Don't cost nuttin to be nice
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,222 Admiral
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • pgarner222pgarner222 Posts: 121 Officer
    Awesome deer and very awesome story! Thanks for sharing.
    Congrats on a fine buck and an awesome little girl who surely will be following daddy into the woods in no time.
  • pbsnookerpbsnooker Posts: 877 Officer
    Great job man!! Beautiful Buck!!
  • jamesfreddycjamesfreddyc Posts: 960 Officer
    Excellent! Congrats to you! :beer
    B2B/Direct Sales Opportunity for SaaS/Cloud Software.
  • spfldbowhunterspfldbowhunter Posts: 889 Officer
    Great story, it's hard to tell who's happier in the pics
    Eph. 3:20
  • cuda141cuda141 Posts: 616 Officer
    Awesome Buck, Awesome Job, Awesome Pixs, Awesome Story!!!! Man I'm Pumped!!! Just wondering what Broadhead and arrows are you using, that arrow had to travel pretty far through that deer to blow out that front shoulder like that???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Capt. Cuda's Parts & Charters
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,810 Moderator
    Too cool!

Congratulations is all I've got!
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • mbrukmbruk Posts: 84 Deckhand
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 11,874 AG
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • JboatJboat Posts: 1,337 Officer
    Congrats! Nice buck.

• ReelAffair23ReelAffair23 Posts: 786 Officer
    Congrats on a nice buck!
  • Chris71404Chris71404 Posts: 103 Deckhand
    Sweet buck and nice story. Congrats.. Keep em coming..
  • thinfisherthinfisher Posts: 326 Officer
    Congrats on the nice buck....way to go! :beer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Family, Friends and the Outdoors - Obama = PRICELESS
  • BnTBnT Posts: 6,644 Admiral
    sweet kill
    "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day... Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard"
    gandrfab wrote: »
    Sharky is always clocky, bnt is sometimes sharky,
    sharky is sometimes bnt, but bnt is never clocky
  • vettepickingvettepicking Posts: 85 Deckhand
    great story, you could do no wrong that day....
  • ez4uronez4uron Posts: 30 Deckhand
    Nice Deer,......Nicer Kid.....Way to go man
  • buckshot00buckshot00 Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    Great one to break the ice with! September 14th can't come soon enough.
  • Lc-hunter86Lc-hunter86 Posts: 2,926 Officer
    Awesome buck bud! Kill another!
  • DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 1,837 Captain
    Way to go! Crazy day for sure.
  • calebcaleb Posts: 36 Deckhand
    Great work! That's a nice buck.
  • sknight88sknight88 Posts: 323 Officer
    great deer, great story and awesome shots of your lil girl. Thanks!
  • FlCracker13FlCracker13 Posts: 118 Officer
    Congrats again awesome deer that you worked hard for.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file