Flesh Eating Bacteria thriving in Tar Balls

Replies

• GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,674 Admin
    Scary stuff.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
  • sailfish2sailfish2 Posts: 4,126 Captain
    "Arias: I'm still trying to figure out a way to get research funds to continue this study."

:willynilly:willynilly
    Hoping for better luck next time......
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,395 AG
    sailfish2 wrote: »
    "Arias: I'm still trying to figure out a way to get research funds to continue this study."

:willynilly:willynilly

Roger that. Somebody's grant has run it's course and needs new funding.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • team getterdunteam getterdun Posts: 1,730 Captain
    So, what's new? Tar balls have existed for ions in the gulf. Now, had they been recording the levels of Vv in tar balls prior to the oil spill, then they may be onto something. But, they didn't, so it appears they're just pandering for govt $$$ to 'further their research'.
    "Fundamentals are nothing but a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,395 AG
    So, what's new? Tar balls have existed for ions in the gulf. Now, had they been recording the levels of Vv in tar balls prior to the oil spill, then they may be onto something. But, they didn't, so it appears they're just pandering for govt $$$ to 'further their research'.

Geico has a new marketing campaign op. It's so obvious, even a cave man can see this. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 Officer
    This is not good.
    FSU is the best football team of all time!
  • CalusaCalusa Posts: 11,881 Officer
    Some people see smoke and say "fire"

Other see smoke and say "**cking as shole"

:rolleyes
    FS Forum member since January 4, 2003
    Member #12478
    Not a Jew
  • MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 345 Deckhand
    navigator2 wrote: »
    Roger that. Somebody's grant has run it's course and needs new funding.

I've seen millions and millions frittered away on BAD science in the Gulf of Mexico. This study could actually be reasonable if there is a chance of reaching meaningful conclusions with a few hundred K. Vibrio is bad, bad stuff and determining whether there is a link with tar balls seems like a pretty good idea to me: not junk science at all, and a cut above all the eco-crap they keep spending the big bucks on.
    “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,001 AG
    This was first published in 12/2011.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
    I've read of a couple of cases of this disease from anglers wading along the Gandy causeway. One was fatal and the other was very near fatal.

It is some scary crap.
    Member #12478
    Not a Jew
  • That's what she saidThat's what she said Posts: 748 Officer
    Calusa wrote: »
    I've read of a couple of cases of this disease from anglers wading along the Gandy causeway. One was fatal and the other was very near fatal.

It is some scary crap.

http://www.abc-7.com/story/23024041/woman-suffering-from-bacteria-in-naples-icu

Freiwald's extreme downward spiral started with a swim in the Gulf. She was out on a boat with friends and family in Hernando County, when she cut her leg getting back into the boat. But she was a trooper.

"She said it'll be ok, you know, must've turned my ankle or something," says Walter Lettau, Freiwald's partner.

Thinking nothing of the cut, Margaret and her partner Lettau went to Marco Island. Within three days, their vacation turned into a nightmare.

"It's attacked all her organs. She was suffering kidney failure. She had a heart attack."

Doctors told the family; Margaret came in contact with a bacterium called vibrio vulnificus.

The infection was so aggressive; they were forced to amputate her leg.

"Yesterday, I couldn't believe. I said she looks like she's, you know, doing pretty good. And then come in today. It's downhill again," said Lettau.

The Centers for Disease Control calls vibrio a rare but underreported cause of disease. According to the CDC, every year in the Gulf Coast region, there are around 50 lab confirmed cases of those, 45 people go to the hospital and 16 die.

"It's very alarming to think we're out here and we could be exposed to something," says Beach goer Crystal Richey.

While Freiwald clings to life, her family says this tragedy should serve as a wake-up call.

"I've heard people and things like that. It never hits you until it hits home. And I just want people to know it's out there and be careful," says Amber.

The CDC says vibrio affects everyone differently. People with compromised immune systems are at a higher risk of blood infection.

Even though she contracted the bacteria in Tampa, health experts say it can happen anywhere in the Gulf of Mexico. And it is not just the Gulf --the CDC says vibrio can thrive in any warm saltwater body across the country. You can also get vibrio if you eat contaminated seafood.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,424 AG
    It could be good...or it could be junk...it's hard to know what you will get. There is no doubt that science like this needs grant money to be done....it's all about who checks to see that the science is done in true scientific method...and not done with preconcieved outcomes...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • kodiakzachkodiakzach Posts: 6,074 Admiral
    I'd imagine if you were good and drunk and squinted your eyes while trying to focus on the thread title....

perhaps you might catch yourself reading out loud (in a gruff pirate voice) thinking the thread title says:

"Flesh Eating Bacteria thriving in Yar' Balls"
    It appears that the discovery has already been made. Further study of samples from different regions and depths may provide a better picture of the scope of the problem. But right now maybe it's time to advise the public to avoid stepping on tarballs, or avoid affected beaches altogether.
    Member #12478
    Not a Jew
  • captinmitchcaptinmitch Posts: 5,807 Officer
    kodiakzach wrote: »
    I'd imagine if you were good and drunk and squinted your eyes while trying to focus on the thread title....

perhaps you might catch yourself reading out loud (in a gruff pirate voice) thinking the thread title says:

Yar!!!!
  • team getterdunteam getterdun Posts: 1,730 Captain
    . But right now maybe it's time to advise the public to avoid stepping on tarballs, or avoid affected beaches altogether.

Thanks! But, man, who doesn't like stepping on a good tar ball? Also, please advise on affected beaches. TYIA
    "Fundamentals are nothing but a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG

It is some scary crap.

and in the story it says the bacteria is 10x more concentrated in sand than water and 10x more in tarballs than sand. So what about mud? what about stuff you run into contact with. If you are correlating any infection from a tar ball it's pretty silly. A girl I dated from Wisconsin had a father who's leg got it up there and they lopped it off.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
    kodiakzach wrote: »

275239-yar3.png
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
    CaptTater wrote: »
    and in the story it says the bacteria is 10x more concentrated in sand than water and 10x more in tarballs than sand. So what about mud? what about stuff you run into contact with. If you are correlating any infection from a tar ball it's pretty silly. A girl I dated from Wisconsin had a father who's leg got it up there and they lopped it off.

PUT DOWN THE WHISKEY SONNY.
    Member #12478
    Not a Jew
    PUT DOWN THE WHISKEY SONNY.

They are only facts..
    And perhaps you are onto something. About 6 months ago did you get some tar ball stuck in your ear? Maybe an MRI of the hold knucklehead would be a good idea before it's too late.
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 2,517 Captain
    Flesh eating bacteria and other forms of bacteria covers your body and EVERYTHING you come in contact with on a daily basis. Don't forget hepatitis, AIDS, herpes, ...............
  • kodiakzachkodiakzach Posts: 6,074 Admiral
    On Yar' Balls!!!'

Pirates-of-the-caribbean-4-on-stranger-tides-triler-screencaps-johnny-depp-17803709-1920-800.jpg
    Flesh eating bacteria and other forms of bacteria covers your body and EVERYTHING you come in contact with on a daily basis. Don't forget hepatitis, AIDS, herpes, ...............

Is that a fact?
    Member #12478
    Not a Jew
  • lookinlookin Posts: 1,250 Officer
    Thanks! But, man, who doesn't like stepping on a good tar ball? Also, please advise on affected beaches. TYIA

Love a good tar ball on the foot and in the wax on me boards.

But seriously, they said the entire Gulf of Mexi so we need to alert every town that borders the Gulf. BP should help pay for the PSA and possibly reimburse local business owners for the lost revenue.
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,603 Officer
    CaptTater wrote: »
    275239-yar3.png

I was addicted to yars revenge!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file