Goldfish as bait

TheSnookManTheSnookMan Posts: 430 Officer
I'm just reading other forums and some one posted info from fwc. In that it said goldfish are not allowed to be used as bait. So I'm curious why is it illegal to use goldfish as bait? Seems like a odd bait to use lol

Replies

• Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Officer
    shiners + red food coloring bingo legal Goldfish
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • TheSnookManTheSnookMan Posts: 430 Officer
    I googled it. I guess goldfish are a invasion species.
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Officer
    thats wierd.. because you can buy them at the pet store for 25 cents each, bring em home and feed em to your oscar... but you cant simply put a hook through one and THEN feed it to a fish? :shrug
  • Phantom309Phantom309 Posts: 47 Deckhand
    I used to live in Demopolis Alabama when I was a kid, this lady took me way out in the woods
    to a pond out there and it had bunches of large gold fish in it, seems like I heard they were
    carp ..........
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,221 Officer
    This thread is full of :banghead:banghead:banghead
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    True goldfish are a type of carp.
    In the northern areas of Florida, they could easily become invasive.
    cbmdk86 wrote: »
    thats wierd.. because you can buy them at the pet store for 25 cents each, bring em home and feed em to your oscar... but you cant simply put a hook through one and THEN feed it to a fish? :shrug

I think what you are talking about are rosy-red minnows, the ornamental varieties of the fathead minnow, what is commonly found in bait shops. As far as I know, they are legal to use.
  • jamesbrownsplitjamesbrownsplit Posts: 202 Officer
    FWIW, the pond/lake in my parent's neighborhood in Atlanta is totally overrun with goldfish/koi. They certainly weren't stocked on purpose either.
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Officer
    I know if a lake in Tampa I have seen a 12-15lbs Koi shocked da heck outta ne :hairraiser
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,233 Officer
    Koi are a sterile hybrid; can't spawn, so they're allowed in ponds and lakes for weed control.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,091 Officer
    Well.... you could always buy some white mice (snake food) and dye them gold.

(Sorry I just couldn't resist)
    Giimoozaabi
  • M.MagisM.Magis Posts: 196 Deckhand
    fish_stix wrote: »
    Koi are a sterile hybrid; can't spawn, so they're allowed in ponds and lakes for weed control.

Koi are not sterile. You may be thinking of white amurs, AKA grass carp.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,783 Captain
    I think goldfish can get HUGE too. People letting pets go in ponds is getting to be a huge problem. There was a lake on the UF campus that was loaded with ciclids and non-native species because college kids can't bear to kill their pet goldfish so they throw it in the lake thinking it's no big deal. But they take over and replicate until they choke everything else out. Fortunately that hard cold snap a few years back really stunted that population. I couldn't believe how many dead fish there were washed up on the shore. It smelled like a sewer for a month.
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,672 Captain
    Phantom309 wrote: »
    I used to live in Demopolis Alabama when I was a kid, this lady took me way out in the woods
    to a pond out there and showed me her carp ..........

Whew, I thought this was going somewhere else...:hairraiser
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • notreelynotreely Posts: 653 Officer
    Phantom309 wrote: »
    to a pond out there and it had bunches of large gold fish in it, seems like I heard they were
    carp ..........

Did you show her your mullet?
  • BakermanBakerman Posts: 1,222 Officer
    That is where snakeheads came from..............aquariums.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman.
  • morrowmorrow Posts: 551 Officer
    The 2011 Florida Statutes

Title XXVIII
    NATURAL RESOURCES; CONSERVATION, RECLAMATION, AND USE
    Chapter 379
    FISH AND WILDLIFE CONSERVATION
    View Entire Chapter
    379.28 Imported fish.—
    (1) No person shall import into the state or place in any of the fresh waters of the state any freshwater fish of any species without having first obtained a permit from the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. The commission is authorized to issue or deny such a permit upon the completion of studies of the species made by it to determine any detrimental effect the species might have on the ecology of the state.
    (2) A person who violates this section commits a Level Three violation under s. 379.401.
    History.—s. 37, ch. 13644, 1929; CGL 1936 Supp. 1977(37); s. 1, ch. 71-294; s. 1, ch. 80-129; s. 52, ch. 91-224; s. 130, ch. 99-245; s. 22, ch. 2006-304; s. 92, ch. 2008-247.
    Note.—Former s. 372.26.
    '"This country will not be a permanently good place for any of us to live in unless we make it a reasonably good place for all of us to live in. "
    — Theodore Roosevelt
  • Ol SargeOl Sarge Posts: 290 Officer
    When I was a kid up north I use to use feeder goldfish for crappie I was told it was illegal to use tropical fish for bait havent used them since 80

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file