Loading a Pro Angler 14 on a SUV?

If you have a Hobie Pro Angler (PA) and put in on top of your SUV, let me know what works for you. I have an FJ Cruiser with a Baja Rack. It's a pretty serious roof rack and it is rated for 300lbs. I have been loading my Pompano 120 (2008 Tarpon) on my rack with Yakima Hully Rollers in the back and Mako saddles in the front. Even with my 60lb, 12 ft Pompano I feel that I need a roller or some other load assist device that hangs further off the back of the rack.

The idea would be to lift the front of the PA 14 up on the assist roller, then lift and push the back of the PA to get it loaded. I have seen a video of people loading their PA on the roof rack with just a rug, but that seems a little sketchy. My Pompano has slipped off to the side a couple of times while loading and unloading.

Yakima has the Showboat 66 load assist roller, but its only rated for 80lb kayaks. The 140lb PA 14 sounds like too much for it. There is also the Rhino Rack T-Loader, but then I have to have some huge bracket on the back of my FJ.

Any advice from a PA owner is appreciated. I may get a trailer as well, but I would like to be able to keep launching off Dania and Hollywood beaches and not have to go to a boat ramp, then navigate the intercoastal > inlet > ocean.

Replies

• PickledvolvoPickledvolvo Posts: 189 Officer
    Is it possible to load PA on top of a SUV? Sure, but do you really want to?
    "I throw empty beer cans at the TV when I'm watching the news.
    I hate republicans, I hate democrats, I hate liberals too!"
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 792 Officer
    There was a PA loaded on a Honda Civic at the FS Bash a few weeks ago so I guess anything is possible.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • Dude-On-A-KayakDude-On-A-Kayak Posts: 256 Officer

Yes. Yes I do.
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    Don't psych yourself out, the PA14 is only 110lbs stripped down. :cool:

I watched an older guy (early sixties), up at Round Island, load a PA-12 on a Mazda Tribute/Ford Escape (I think) like it was nothing. He used the rubber backed bathroom rug and carried it on bare crossbars. Two straps across the boat and a line off the bow & stern and he was go to go.

I use the bathroom rug when loading regular kayaks (paddle & pedal) onto the Malone SeaWings on my Ford Sport Trac (tailgate & rear roof). Thank god I've got a small bed w/bed extender and a trailer, cause I would hate to have to load the PA-12 above my head......let alone a PA-14.

But yes, it can be done.
    Another SUV PA14 loading.......
    I've found that making things easy is key. You can find a trailer for cheap if you look around. Find a dealer that is willing to let you try and load one and see if it is for you or not.
    This should do...
    Awesome!
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Keith, how did your pompano slide off? I've been loading (using rubber backed bathmat on rear window) the pompano onto my Seawings with ease for months and that has never happened once? I usually hold both side handles, walk it up about half way, then walk to the back and just slide it on up into the saddles. Maybe its your spare tire getting in the way? I'm just curious, not saying you're doing it wrong! I'd just like to know in order to prevent me from doing the same thing.

Every single day I get closer and closer to buying a PA-12...LOL

You're in good shape, I think you can do it.
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • quatinquatin Posts: 592 Officer
    Open the rear hatch, get a bed extender. Put the rear seats down and slide the whole thing into the back. That would be only way I would load up a PA.

Although it's possible to get one on top of a SUV. It just sucks having to do that all the time. I have a roller loader to roll my kayak on top, but mine doesn't top 60 lbs.
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 791 Officer
    I agree with quatin. A bed extender seems like the way to go for you. You would not have to worry about top loading. I have a Tahoe and a work van. Guess which one I use. The "work van" comes to play. Everything fits real nice inside, and no more top loading. Yipee-Yay! With a cheap bed extender, you will be able to accomplish this, with minimal effort on your part. At the end of your fishing venture, you will load up quickly. Good Luck.

Frank G.
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.
    ZimmerNole wrote: »
    Keith, how did your pompano slide off? I've been loading (using rubber backed bathmat on rear window) the pompano onto my Seawings with ease for months and that has never happened once? I usually hold both side handles, walk it up about half way, then walk to the back and just slide it on up into the saddles. Maybe its your spare tire getting in the way? I'm just curious, not saying you're doing it wrong! I'd just like to know in order to prevent me from doing the same thing.

Every single day I get closer and closer to buying a PA-12...LOL

You're in good shape, I think you can do it.

Kevin,

Your not supposed to reveal my name. I'm trying to establish a whole different online personality here. One that people respect and admire, completely opposite to the real life self serving Bag O' ******.

Yep. The spare tire is the biggest factor. It's also the breadbox shape of the FJ. The retro shape pays no attention to aerodynamics and the front and back windshields are at steep angles.

This thing arrives today, so I will let everyone know if it is the solution to loading my aircraft carrier looking "kayak" in a few weeks:

http://www.rhinorack.com/AccSubCategory_Kayak-Loaders_75.aspx
    Update on my stubborn quest to put a small boat on top of my FJ. I put the PA 14 up on the roof of my FJ with Rhino-Rack T Loader (from Sidney, Australia) earlier today. The Australian dude in the Youtube demo makes it look easy, but the T Loader takes some practice. My FJ roof rack is higher up than the "SUV" in the demo video. The T Loader definitely makes the impossible possible, but the whole experience felt a little sketchy. As expected, the Yakima Hully rollers and Mako saddles became useless wet noodles under the weight of the PA 14.

I'm going to give the roof idea one more chance. I ordered the Hobie PA saddles to replace the Yakima rollers and saddles. Once I get the Hobie PA saddles mounted on the rack I'm going for it again. If it doesn't work out, I'm going to put the saddles on a small trailer and return the T Loader. A trailer is inevitable. The roof idea is just to get me from my house in Hollywood Lakes to Dania or Hollywood beach (really close by). No way would I take this setup on I-95!
    You'll figure it out soon enough. Maybe give the T loader a chance. Luck 2U.
    kayakfrank wrote: »
    I agree with quatin. A bed extender seems like the way to go for you. You would not have to worry about top loading. I have a Tahoe and a work van. Guess which one I use. The "work van" comes to play. Everything fits real nice inside, and no more top loading. Yipee-Yay! With a cheap bed extender, you will be able to accomplish this, with minimal effort on your part. At the end of your fishing venture, you will load up quickly. Good Luck.

Frank G.

I could add the bed extender and slide the PA into the back of the FJ. I'm just trying to get my head around how that would work on the road. The rear door (hatch) on the FJ opens to the left, not up like a typical SUV. It could work if I remove the spare tire and tie down the door. A trailer still sounds like the only solution for the highway.
    I could add the bed extender and slide the PA into the back of the FJ. I'm just trying to get my head around how that would work on the road. The rear door (hatch) on the FJ opens to the left, not up like a typical SUV. It could work if I remove the spare tire and tie down the door. A trailer still sounds like the only solution for the highway.
    I wouldn't even consider putting a "saltwater kayak" inside a vehicle, due to the highly corrosive properties of the brine.

The Hobie cradles should be perfect for your roof rack, but I would still consider adding an extension that would put a bar out over the spare tire, this way you could lean the Pa against the bar (clear of tire), then you only need to lift & push onto the cradles.

You'll need 67" between cradles for the PA14 (per Hobie).
    Lt.FireDog wrote: »
    I wouldn't even consider putting a "saltwater kayak" inside a vehicle, due to the highly corrosive properties of the brine.

The Hobie cradles should be perfect for your roof rack, but I would still consider adding an extension that would put a bar out over the spare tire, this way you could lean the Pa against the bar (clear of tire), then you only need to lift & push onto the cradles.

You'll need 67" between cradles for the PA14 (per Hobie).

52598D3F-C55A-4EBE-B8E7-FC882B65105F-1938-000001B7FBCA2BDE.jpg
    You're going to have one glaring issue there....you can't park a trailer at Dania or Pompano pier.

You're going to have to buy the John U Lloyd park pass (I suggest just caving, and buying the annual pass) and launch from there. Get there early on the weekends as the gates do not open til 6am (kind of annoying when the sunrise is at 5:30 in the fall but...oh well)
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback
    Alright Pickledvolva, I'll bite.......what's the problem now?
    52598D3F-C55A-4EBE-B8E7-FC882B65105F-1938-000001B7FBCA2BDE.jpg
    Dude On A Kayak, I have an annual pass to John U. Lloyd and you are not allowed to beach launch before 8:00 am. Really Sucks! On the other hand, if your kayak has navigational lights and is on a trailer, you will be able to get into the park one hour before sunrise. Yes indeed, one hour before sunrise for vessels using the boat ramp. The issue is the distance and the fact that you have to navigate through the busy cut, to get over to the beach side. I have done it, but I don't want to deal with all the boat traffic. Also, on an outgoing tide you will probably get backsplashed from the rollers. It just makes no sense in my opinion, on time wise either. I don't know what will be the outcome of your decision in the end but it may well be worth your effort to top load your vehicle, until you get it down to a science. Once you get the hang of it, should be no problem. Luck 2U.
    Dude On A Kayak, I have an annual pass to John U. Lloyd and you are not allowed to beach launch before 8:00 am. Really Sucks! On the other hand, if your kayak has navigational lights and is on a trailer, you will be able to get into the park one hour before sunrise. Yes indeed, one hour before sunrise for vessels using the boat ramp. The issue is the distance and the fact that you have to navigate through the busy cut, to get over to the beach side. I have done it, but I don't want to deal with all the boat traffic. Also, on an outgoing tide you will probably get backsplashed from the rollers. It just makes no sense in my opinion, on time wise either. I don't know what will be the outcome of your decision in the end but it may well be worth your effort to top load your vehicle, until you get it down to a science. Once you get the hang of it, should be no problem. Luck 2U.

LOTS of guys here on the forums launch from there, and even from 15th street boat ramp. Ask Pottymouth for one, I know he likes to launch through the inlet from 15th street ramp on an outgoing tide. A group of 4-5 guys did a drift last week from Dania to Pompano and I saw them as I was clearing the inlet in a friends boat. It can be done, esp on a PA. I wouldn't wanna be in the inlet on my Pompano...thats for **** sure.
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback
    ZimmerNole wrote: »
    LOTS of guys here on the forums launch from there, and even from 15th street boat ramp. Ask Pottymouth for one, I know he likes to launch through the inlet from 15th street ramp on an outgoing tide. A group of 4-5 guys did a drift last week from Dania to Pompano and I saw them as I was clearing the inlet in a friends boat. It can be done, esp on a PA. I wouldn't wanna be in the inlet on my Pompano...thats for **** sure.
    I agree with you Zimmer on the fact that many of the more seasoned kayak/fisherman do this all the time. But before anyone takes out their kayak through the cut, PA or not, you have got to know both your kayak and your own capabilities. Not a good "first launch" for a spanking brand new PA owner. Agree?
    I agree with you Zimmer on the fact that many of the more seasoned kayak/fisherman do this all the time. But before anyone takes out their kayak through the cut, PA or not, you have got to know both your kayak and your own capabilities. Not a good "first launch" for a spanking brand new PA owner. Agree?

Hit it on the head.
  • Android77Android77 Posts: 463 Deckhand
    What's so bad about 3 to 5 rollers its the 1 to 2 chop that makes it nasty. Potty mouths phone box ended up in my boat and we both almost ate it in a 1 to 2 chop on Dania Beach. Next time we fished there were 5 foot perfect surfing waves got out just fine only ate about 3 waves over our heads before we cleared the beach. Wish the Gopro was on would have made some great video. Trailers are no problem at 15st and 24 hour launching. Just hookup with someone else when going should be no problem.

I agree 100%
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback
    Funny reading the posts about my potential fate in the new PA 14. I did tear up a little when it got its first scratch. I am going in the ocean one way or another this weekend, hopefully right side up most of the time.

The Hobie saddles will be here tomorrow. I'm not sure if the hardware I have will allow me to mount them on my roof rack or not, but if it looks secure and the weather holds I'm "T-Loading" that beast to Dania or Hollywood Beach.

I'm not afraid, but the inlet does seem like a pain in the **** and I have yet to peddle this thing.

Frank, it is good to hear that you can get to the boat ramp before sunrise. I too have an annual pass. It's nice to have a hassle free place to park, but yeah the 8AM open time does suck so I'm not sure why I keep renewing.
    Funny reading the posts about my potential fate in the new PA 14. I did tear up a little when it got its first scratch. I am going in the ocean one way or another this weekend, hopefully right side up most of the time.

The Hobie saddles will be here tomorrow. I'm not sure if the hardware I have will allow me to mount them on my roof rack or not, but if it looks secure and the weather holds I'm "T-Loading" that beast to Dania or Hollywood Beach.

I'm not afraid, but the inlet does seem like a pain in the **** and I have yet to peddle this thing.

Frank, it is good to hear that you can get to the boat ramp before sunrise. I too have an annual pass. It's nice to have a hassle free place to park, but yeah the 8AM open time does suck so I'm not sure why I keep renewing.

Hopefully the hardware fits, if not run over to McDonalds on 84 and buy some stainless bolts and lock nuts. Might as well keep the saddles on there right? I never remove my Seawings frommy rodeo, it looks like I'm about to fly away.

Just tell 'em at the gate that you're launching from the boat ramp. They'll let you slide with that boat!
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback
    Conclusion: It is very possible to put a PA-14 on my FJ.

What made it work was purchasing the Hobie PA saddles to replace the Yakima Hully rollers and Mako saddles (can't handle the load) and the Rhino-Rack T loader (T-loadin son of a b*tch!). I did end up using uni-strut to mount my custom brackets that support the PA saddles. I should point out that my rack is barely long enough to meet the 67" (5' 7") of required space between the front and rear saddle. In fact I am probably a couple inches short in my spacing. The spacing is something to keep in mind before buying the Hobie saddles. I use stainless steel wing nuts to hold the PA saddles on to my brackets. This allows me to remove them quickly, to prevent theft and to transfer on to a stand or trailer.

I do plan on getting a trailer for days when I don't have a specific place to target or when I am low on time or energy. If I wanted to hit up the shallow wrecks off Hollywood beach then go offshore, I wouldn't want to paddle there from Port everglades, but for days when I am just going offshore paddling through Port Everglades is fine. Also, I typically spend $9-12 parking at Dania or Hollywood, so the $9.00 fee at John U. Lloyd isn't an argument to not trailer.

I saw that someone had a larger trailer with the PA on one side and a large storage box on the other side for gear. It sounds like a great way to stream-line the loading/unloading process, so I may go that route.

Here are some pics of the PA on the FJ:
    They say "Where there is a will, there is always a way". Nicely done.
    They say "Where there is a will, there is always a way". Nicely done.

x2 well done!
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji