6/29 Snapper Limit and some Red Grouper!

Hello everyone! So this past saturday the weather was calling for straight 15 knots out of the south west. Just two of us, My father and I decided to head out. In the morning the report changed to straight 10 and we went offshore! I have begun to use a tried and true tactic of sand balling, just like how they do it in the keys. Mixing a block of chum with sand, gives you more chum in the long run and gets it down to the bottom where the fish are. The tackle used were 7' Red bone 10-17lb class with stradic 8000 spooled with 30lb Braid and 25lb Yozuri HD Flouro. We used 1/8 jig heads from Z's, they only sell them in the keys. I have talked with Anderson's Bait and Tackle to see if he can get some in stock, Im working on it! For the grouper, we used both live pins for a weight-swivel-hook combo and then 6 oz jig head tipped with squid.
For bait, live shrimp and sardines worked the best. As soon as the first sandball went in, deep down you could just see a cloud of Mangs and yellowtails. The sand mix helps carry the chum down which creates a feeding frenzy, which leaves your bait right in the middle of it all!
The first few fish were good sized mangs, in the 17-19" range. The mangos slimmed down in size to 13-15" while the yellowtail were right at about 14-16". We were done by 1:30 and decided to go hit some grouper numbers. Did a few drifts and worked our way in with 3 red grouper, 22-25" in length.
While running in, we ran over a large spike. Decided it's worth going back and checking, in 60' the sounder LIT up. Set up for a drift and BAM two rod's bend over. My father catches a 25" red, and I pull up a cookie cutter, 18". The second my jig hits the bottom after rebaiting with squid, it gets slammed by a 24" red. We followed the pod of bait, and pulled out another red grouper.

We finished the day with 11 yellowtails, 9 Mangrove snapper, and 6 red grouper!
Offshore Hunter Fishing Charters

http://www.offshorehuntercharters.com

Like us on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/offshorehunterfishingcharters

2005 Yellowfin 31 df/250's

Replies

• GatorInPISoundGatorInPISound Posts: 543 Officer
    :thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Trust in the LORD and receive HIS many blessings....
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,855 Captain
    Nice haul! I hope my offshore trip (first of the year) Wed. will produce similar results with some gags mixed in.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Nice trip. Love those yellowtails!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,510 Moderator
    mangs and yellowtail would be the target for our next runs out..Great job.
    larrywitt
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,067 Officer
    man thats some good eat'n nice catch
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • Angler SystemsAngler Systems Posts: 919 Officer
    Can't beat that....great job and outstanding eats.
  • BluefinBluefin Posts: 115 Officer
    Super job!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file