SW Inshore Wading Tuesday Night - Snook

Three members hit the flats last night in search of some picture worthy snook. The evening overall started off slow, very slow. Three of us were throwing soft plastics in dark colors, black and gold - as this is our confidence bait in this area. A few flounder here and there, some short trout, and Matt finally hooks up on a drag screamer. Nice little fight, and this healthy snook comes to grips. Overall slow night... Matt also banged out a very nice trout, however I was too far to get a pic.

Replies

• former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,449 Officer
    PS.... What up with them fellas that came within 15 feet of us asking "you dragging spoons?" Literally 15 feet!!! geesh
  • red_magnetred_magnet Posts: 498 Officer
    Great lookin fish man !
    I owe it all to my Granny and Bill Dance....
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,514 Captain
    I'm always amazed by people in boats thinking it's okay to come up on you with their engine pointed up churning the water making a racket to ask questions...
    Or screaming by on plane when you're out wading/yakking.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
    actually.... they were wading as well!!!!! What kills me most..... Its not like we are right out in front of the "entry'.... I am a solid .5 mile away from it.. and these two dudes... B-line straight toward us! I am not kidding you... They came so close, an UNDERHAND cast would have hit them!!!! "What you guys dragging spoons"!?!?!? What the hey!!!
  • perlman1234perlman1234 Posts: 1,449 Officer
    I have had way more experiences where waders have come up on me than when I am wading any boats rolling up too close. However 15 feet???? WTH! Beautiful snook man... I am sure i was a great fight.
    Its nuts... I had similiar situation.. posted it.. .and a few guys said "you dont own the water".... Right... .I don't... So next time I go to the park and your kid is on the swing set.... I am going to put my kid (I dont have kids lol) on top of your kids shoulders.. As you "dont own the park"... Or next time I go to that same park and you are grilling on the only grill there... I am going to slap my chicken and steak on the grill - as "you dont own the park"... same thing in my eyes... Wait your turn, and most important, personal space!
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,514 Captain
    Agreed... IMO, unless we're on a packed pier where we don't have a choice... if our lines can cross we're too close together.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
    kmagnuss... you are generous and forgiving lol..... If I can snag your line with a Top Dog thrown with the wind at my back in a 25mph wind..... You are too close in my eyes! Well... maybe not that much lol.... seriously though.... I agree.... If we are both casting at the same "area" and we can even possibly cross... way way to close.... Like I said on a different thread.... I drove 40 minutes South to wade a "spot" i had in my head.... Walked 1.0 mile to get to it.. entered water... boat parked on the spot I had planned to fish... .Cursed a bit to myself.... to myself.... entered the water quiter than a blue heron wading a flat... and went in the TOTAL OPPOSITE direction... Got completely skunked... fished for an hour... and called it a loss.... They were there first... and that is that.
  • perlman1234perlman1234 Posts: 1,449 Officer
    Buddy I am normally the first to jump on people for acting like they own a flat or the water. Trust me... especially if I am parked on an inshore spot. But at least you have the common decency to curse to yourself and head away. I know it sucks when someone is on your "spot" but you have to think to yourself that you are not there is a reason they are there. And most of it is because they see the same thing you do in the spot. I have had waders eye ball me when I am on a boat or not on a boat and a few cast right at me. I have said before that it is really hard to find a spot that is in wading distance that you can have all to yourself for very long. You look to be doing alright man so keep kicking **** and remember snook season is right around the corner(even tho that is clearly too big).
  • red_magnetred_magnet Posts: 498 Officer
    I have fished the west wall in charlotte Harbor more than once where you are working the mangroves and some yahoo blasts by you 30 yards away. Charlotte harbor is like 6 miles wide but you have to run where fish eat spawn and can be caught ????
    I owe it all to my Granny and Bill Dance....
  • dtobiasdtobias Posts: 733 Officer
    Nice snook.
  • Permit53Permit53 Posts: 31 Deckhand
    Thanks for putting the picture up Keith! It was a slow day, but thankfully we pulled out a stud to end the day. "Are you guys throwing spoons" what a joke those guys were... totally clueless to the common curtsey given to fellow anglers.
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 306 Deckhand
    Its nuts... I had similiar situation.. posted it.. .and a few guys said "you dont own the water".... Right... .I don't... So next time I go to the park and your kid is on the swing set.... I am going to put my kid (I dont have kids lol) on top of your kids shoulders.. As you "dont own the park"... Or next time I go to that same park and you are grilling on the only grill there... I am going to slap my chicken and steak on the grill - as "you dont own the park"... same thing in my eyes... Wait your turn, and most important, personal space!

Best logical argument I have heard in response to the stupid phrase, "you do not own the water." Part of our problem is human nature. We have thousands of years of hunting and gathering in our blood. So instinctively, when someone is in our space, we get pissed off, we are territorial...just think of all the stupid men that do stupid things for women and get in fights with men over it...another epiphany I had was in regards to the beating of drums in the music I listen to it...it makes me come alive. Throughout the history of time, drums have been used before military action, ceremonies, etc...it is in our blood.
  • fishingkid315fishingkid315 Posts: 1,927 Officer
    Nice fish!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Next argument..... Guy sees me "hooked up" from about .25 mile away... Next trip I walk out to my spot....... Guess where said guy is standing! Bingo. Directly where he saw me hooked up. Im moving to Costa Rica!!!!! That or I am going to start fishing at night, wearing all black and night vision goggles!!! geesh
  • VenitianVenitian Posts: 85 Deckhand
    Next argument..... Guy sees me "hooked up" from about .25 mile away... Next trip I walk out to my spot....... Guess where said guy is standing! Bingo. Directly where he saw me hooked up. Im moving to Costa Rica!!!!! That or I am going to start fishing at night, wearing all black and night vision goggles!!! geesh
    What do expect him to do, dodge that spot? If I stayed away from every spot I've seen someone fish I might as well sell the boat.
    lol....good point! not a valid argument there huh?
  • If1shalldayIf1shallday Posts: 464 Officer
    Nice snook looks nice and healthy
  • LonghaulLonghaul Posts: 1,745 Officer
    Your in the harbor son, this is the norm.

PS.... What up with them fellas that came within 15 feet of us asking "you dragging spoons?" Literally 15 feet!!! geesh
  • LonghaulLonghaul Posts: 1,745 Officer
    They need to make the east and west wall troll and poll only. It blows me away these yuppie boys in 24 ft bay boats that they paid waaaaaaaaaay to much for are skeeeered to run outside the bar. Can you imagine how good the fishing would be if there were no running inside the bars? off the charts and the schooling reds would be like they were back in the late 80,s but all these tower boat a holes just have to run inside.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file