BEYOND THE DRY TORTUGAS BANKS

1121314151618»

Replies

• HooganHoogan Right on the edge of the EvergladesPosts: 515 Officer
    People always ask me how much it costs " to go on those trips you go on"
    I break it down for them as follows:
    About $200-$235 for ea. 24 hrs of fishing in virtually unfished waters on a safe boat with great mates, best captain, top of the line in navigational and fish locating equip., your own bunk and rail spot, a/c, showers and great galley with shore prices. Never mind all the great friendships you build over the years. Never mind some of the fish you have a shot at in those waters are just not available elsewhere.
  • cameron sleepcameron sleep Posts: 435 Deckhand
    Totally love the Yankee Captains trips. I look forward all year, to "fish till I drop" freedom. The cost is very reasonable and the memories are priceless. I learn more on each trip than I would ever learn on my own and apply the techniques to fishing in my own boat. Each year has had different trophies to remember. Last year, a 50 pound king mackerel. Before, a 22 pound queen snapper and 28 pound golden tile. Twelve mutton snappers well over ten pounds each, all caught at one spot!!! It goes on and on. Greg has a quality operation and a strong drive to produce in abundance. Give it a try, you won't be sorry!
  • chicochico Posts: 501 Officer
    We have a lull in the reports!? Love reading them!!
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 770 Officer
    chico wrote: »
    We have a lull in the reports!? Love reading them!!

Yes we do. I haven't been to Pulley since the the first part of November. We have pushed further west and north. All reports are on my fish report page at www.yankeecapts.com.

Thanks

Greg
  • dihrddihrd Posts: 79 Greenhorn
    Me and a buddy are on the PR feb1. Hope the weather is doable. How much wind can your stand with that sock?

Steve
    Wind? All depends on the other conditions. I don’t have a set number. We don’t use a sea anchor deep dropping normally.
  • TugasTugas Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    Heard you guys let’s even my uncle Hollywood get a big black they were biting so thick 
    Praying our trip this week is ON!! Can't wait!!
  • HooganHoogan Right on the edge of the EvergladesPosts: 515 Officer
    chico said:
    Praying our trip this week is ON!! Can't wait!!
    I hope you get out there.
  • TugasTugas Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    From what I hear it’s calming down . 
    We had a good trip on our charter with the YC. With three full days of fishing (and nights) we did very well, even though the bite was slow. We did a lot of deep dropping the first two days, plenty of grey tiles, some BIG queen snapper, I managed to land a nice 20# + golden tile and the biggest streamer bass I have ever seen, maybe 4-5 lbs or more? The blackfin were all on the huge size and kept us quite busy, everyone got at least one, jigging was the best way to target them. We brought up plenty of nice sized red grouper too. When we moved into some shallower water we landed some beautiful big scamp grouper on one drift, at least a half dozen or more in a short period of time. The mahi moved in and out several times. Only thing we could not find in abundance were the red snapper. I did manage to land the biggest one I have ever seen, that was probably the highlight of the trip for me. We all went home with two huge bags of fillets and some great memories. This is the list of fish we caught: 
    Octopus
    Blue Runners
    Red Grouper
    Gag Grouper
    Snowy Grouper
    Yellow Edge Grouper
    Scamp Grouper 
    Blackfin Tuna
    Red Snapper
    Mutton Snapper
    Queen Snapper
    Vermillion Snapper
    Lane Snapper
    Barracuda
    Silky Shark
    Amberjack
    Almaco Jack
    Yelowtail
    African Pompano
    Margate
    Porgy
    Streamer Bass
    Blue line Tile
    Golden Tile
    Mahi Mahi
    Rose Fish
     The crew and Captain were phenomenal, the Chef, Chad was more than anyone could have expected, from Shrimp scampi, fillet mignon, to fresh tuna poke, no finer food can be found in a Keys restaurant. The long drive from PA to Key West was a killer, next time I will fly!!

• InstaGatorInstaGator Posts: 86 Greenhorn
    No more reports guys?  This thread is one of my cheap pleasures.  Can we get it past a 18 page count.  I have not seen any recent reports in the YC web page either.
    Everything full. Home early. 

Blacks to 80 pounds. Tunas hot then cold. 

Everyone caught dinner.

Greg!
  • KillAllCudasKillAllCudas Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Might be time to add a couple extra coolers   ;) 
  • One Named Fishin'One Named Fishin' Key WestPosts: 26 Greenhorn
    I suppose I’d be “boatless” too, if I had to afford one big enough hold all those rods and coolers!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file