BEYOND THE DRY TORTUGAS BANKS

Replies

• Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 738 Officer
    Loads of questions about our Pulley Ridge Lite trips. This should help-

Pulley Ridge Lite

Reels-

Please remember this trip focus on depths from 200-300 feet. With that in mind we request no electric reels. We are chasing muttons,tunas and grouper so we don’t want those sinkers banging on the bottom. With that being said your Tortugas tackle will be fine. Make sure to include a 30 foot top shot of 50 lb. test mono between the braid and the rig. The mono top shot also helps the crew when it comes time to undo tangles. Bringing along extra braid and mono is highly recommended. You may not need it but if you don’t have it…….

These reels below are solid options
    -Shimano Trinidad 20 or 30
    -Shimano Torium 20 or 30
    -Shimano Talica 15
    -Diawa Saltist 40

Rods

-Conventional

8'0" rated for 30-50 lb. line. You want something with enough backbone to handle a decent fish yet still be light/comfortable enough to hold all day long and have a soft enough tip to detect strikes.

-Calstar 800H
    -Calstar 850H
    -Shakespeare Ugly Stick BWB 1120-8

-Spinning Rod

8”0” 20 lb. spinning tackle that can handle jigs up to 6 ounces.

Hooks

We will fishing in the Gulf of Mexico so circle hooks will be required while bottom fishing. Any inline circle hook will work however we suggest you get straight eye hooks unless you are very proficient at snelling hooks.

Mustad 39933NP-BN or Equivalent
    -10 7/0
    -10 6/0
    -10 4/0

The rigs we will be using are little different from regular carolina rigs. The crew will be happy to show you how to rig.

Pulley%20Lite%20Rig_zpszh3lf8un.jpg

Lead

-Count on fishing 10 oz. of lead , sometimes more depending on conditions, but 10 oz. Is generally ideal. Please bring an assortment of bank sinkers ONLY.

-16oz, 12oz, 10oz, 8oz & 6oz

Also needed are the following-

-Assortment of vertical and speed jigs. 4oz and 6oz. Silver/Blue colors are a solid option.
    -10 oz. Hammered Diamond jig
    - 20 #1 Barrel Swivels
    - 20 Plastic Beads
    - 30 lb. And 50 lb Leader material
    -Shrimp net for dipping fresh flying fish and squid

Bait-

Since we will be drifting baits without backbones are required. Whole squid, butterflied baits and strips. The bait needs to drift across the bottom and flutter along the bottom. NO SPINNING BAITS!. Remember these fish don not see a lot of pressure so what matters is how the bait is presented and freshness NOT what it is.

If you have any questions please email Greg at greg@yankeecapts.com.
    YankeeCapts2013-1.jpg
  • Mac53Mac53 Posts: 205 Deckhand
    Capt. Greg,

Although you mentioned Braid, is it OK to fish all mono or is it braid with a mono topshot only?

Thanks,
    Mac
    Have the Pulley Ridge lite dates been canceled or postponed? They are not available on the Captain website!

Thanks
    We are introducing a new site and reservation system.

That being said it should be up any day. Please call Alana at 305 923 3926. She can give you the available dates in July.

Greg
    YankeeCapts2013-1.jpg
  • HooganHoogan Posts: 478 Deckhand
    Mac53 wrote: »
    Capt. Greg,

Although you mentioned Braid, is it OK to fish all mono or is it braid with a mono topshot only?

Thanks,
    Mac

Obviously I'm in no position to answer your question, but I can share my experience with you re. Mono VS Braid.
    I fished with mono for well over 3 decades so making the change to braid was not an easy one for this this old dog, but I made the switch and hung in there for a full YC trip and never looked back again. Sure I still like using mono for Muttons particularly a Saltiga 40 with 30 lb. monofilament when all the conditions line up, but these days when I go on the 'Capts I fish braid 80 percent of the time and my catch ratio is definitely up.

Now... Circle hooks VS "J" hooks... I'm still NOT convinced circles are more productive than "J"
    I use circles when I'm deep or there's a lot of current, other wise give me a 6/0 or 7/0 Gamakatsu or Owner Octopus and hardly miss fish on the hook up. Needless to say I'll be using circles in the GOM as required.

Guys... there are 2 newly posted PR Lite trips in August on the YC website that are wide open, I'm already signed up for the second one in August.
    Hoogan wrote: »
    Obviously I'm in no position to answer your question, but I can share my experience with you re. Mono VS Braid.
    I fished with mono for well over 3 decades so making the change to braid was not an easy one for this this old dog, but I made the switch and hung in there for a full YC trip and never looked back again. Sure I still like using mono for Muttons particularly a Saltiga 40 with 30 lb. monofilament when all the conditions line up, but these days when I go on the 'Capts I fish braid 80 percent of the time and my catch ratio is definitely up.

Now... Circle hooks VS "J" hooks... I'm still NOT convinced circles are more productive than "J"
    I use circles when I'm deep or there's a lot of current, other wise give me a 6/0 or 7/0 Gamakatsu or Owner Octopus and hardly miss fish on the hook up. Needless to say I'll be using circles in the GOM as required.

Guys... there are 2 newly posted PR Lite trips in August on the YC website that are wide open, I'm already signed up for the second one in August.

Hoogan,

Thanks for your comments. I guess the source of my question is from fishing the Yankee off and on over the years. Braid was simply not used or if it was, I was never aware of it and it never came up as a topic of conversation during the trips. When I read about the Pulley Lite trips and Capt. Gregg was showing braid on his diagram the braid use question was born! If the approach has changed from all mono to all braid or a combination of braid with mono topshot, I need to know that so I can spool my reels accordingly. Since I have never used Braid in any configuration, I may be on new learn curve!
  • XafXaf Posts: 923 Officer
    I'm sure Greg will chime in on this when he gets a chance. I believe the use of braid is shown because of the depth of waters (200-300 ft) that these trips will be targeting. With mono at that depth there will be quite a bit of drag on the line itself causing a large bow in your line. The braid cuts through the water better, you can get by with less weight and you can actually feel the bite better. I'm not sure if Greg approves but even on the regular mutton trips I have seen a lot more people using braid (usually with a mono top shot for some give).
    Hoogan,

Trying to get on the 24th Lite run. Will try to make the reservation tomorrow. Still liking your Phenix Hybrids?

Mac
    Just back from another Pulley Ridge trip!

http://yankeecapts.com/june-21-2015-happy-fathers-day/
    YankeeCapts2013-1.jpg
    The Yankee Capts and the Reel Seat have teamed up for 3 day trip to Pulley and Rankin Ridge.

Trip leaves on October 4th around noon and come back on October 7th. As of today we only have 10 people booked. So it looks like it is going to be a ultra limited trip. Cash discounted price of the trip is $600. Credit card prices are slightly higher.

Please contact Dave at the Reel Seat at 732 223 5353 or dave@reelseat.com.
    YankeeCapts2013-1.jpg
  • HooganHoogan Posts: 478 Deckhand
    Guys take a look on the YC website, brand spanking new twin powerplants, turbocharged and all new SS exhaust system and more, not cheap that's for sure. :hail
  • cameron sleepcameron sleep Posts: 407 Deckhand
    Really hoping to get a Pulley Ridge fix this winter Weather looks horrible, but you just never know when Mother Nature might look the other way. The pictures I have from my other trips are great reminders of just how incredible it is to be on the Yankee Capts out there, but not the real thing. There, Mom, that's my wish list....
  • Sea-r-cySea-r-cy Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Scheduled to go on the 5/12/16 3 day Pulley Ridge trip, looking forward to it. Anyone else on this trip?
  • TugasTugas Posts: 84 Greenhorn
    Sea-r-cy wrote: »
    Scheduled to go on the 5/12/16 3 day Pulley Ridge trip, looking forward to it. Anyone else on this trip?

How did it go ?
  • XafXaf Posts: 923 Officer
    Tugas, there's a report in the Key Fishing Report Section in case you're interested. "Pulley Ridge on the Yankee Capt May 13-15"
  • Sea-r-cySea-r-cy Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    It was a great trip. Caught plenty of fish, buddy and I caught; yellow edge grouper, snowy grouper, red grouper, golden tile fish, grey tile fish, rosies, Queen snapper, blackfin snapper, and maybe one or two other species. A steady bite all day long, fishing was a bit slow during the night (ok, I slept through most of it). I saw a 94# Warsaw caught as well as several other species of fish not already mentioned. Capt. Greg was a pleasure to fish with. I'd recommend this trip to anyone. Sea-r-cy
    Fishing this summer on th ridge has been excellent!

http://yankeecapts.com/july-4th/
    YankeeCapts2013-1.jpg
    As promised here is a link from last weekend. Please click here.

Also a Pulley trip at the end of the month needs some help or were going to put the dock anchors to that weekend. Looks like if we get a few more it is going to be a ultra limited trip. Please click here.

Back out tonight for another charter. Report on Sunday!

Thanks for looking,

Greg
    YankeeCapts2013-1.jpg
  • TugasTugas Posts: 84 Greenhorn
    Anything new ??
    We will be back out there next week.

As far as new? We have been fishing more to the west and the north. A little longer ride but quality and numbers are better.

Greg
    YankeeCapts2013-1.jpg
    YankeeCapts2013-1.jpg
  • capciofficapcioffi Posts: 798 Officer
    Greg, thanks for the reports. Family lives in Jacksonville, FL and we talk about your reports all the time. Group of us are trying to get our crap together for one of your trips.
  • captainjpcaptainjp Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    capcioffi wrote: »
    Greg, thanks for the reports. Family lives in Jacksonville, FL and we talk about your reports all the time. Group of us are trying to get our crap together for one of your trips.

I come down from NY every year to fish with Greg, always worth the trip. Going to be down in March to try and learn some more and land a couple more fish
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,216 Captain
    We went out that way on a 3 day last year.

Not much bottom close together, hence the reason the place is nicknamed "The Desert" once you get west of Riley's and Tortugas Bank. We all know what the wrecks hold at that way.

Once you get to 100 fathoms the deep dropping is great. However the Franklin Loop Current can be a issue. I have a pile of numbers out that way but I figure it would take me a week to get a feel for it. The good thing is the deep drop regs in the GOM are very fair. Much better than the SA.

Since we are here in the summer now maybe I will take a ride and get some answers. It certainly does not scarce me. After fishing on Georges Bank in 3 knots of tide I think I could figure something out. The think that spooks me is the conditions. It is a long ride back to the "reef" if we can't hold bottom out that way.

It would have to be a very limited group with 18-20 people only. It would also be expensive as fuel consumption is going to be high.

If we get enough interest I would consider it.

Greg

Those long range trips get expensive over 1K by the time you pay all the shares of expenses.
    Still chugging along-

https://yankeecapts.com/september-5th-2016/

Greg
    YankeeCapts2013-1.jpg
  • NorthernNorthern Posts: 666 Officer
    Prayers for a safe journey for you and Yankee Capts. to get out of harms way before the storm hits. Also praying that you will have a port and dock to come back to.
  • Reef BanditReef Bandit Posts: 969 Officer
    stc1993 wrote: »
    Those long range trips get expensive over 1K by the time you pay all the shares of expenses.

So lets have a little of fun here... lets compare the cost of this trip to going snow skiing

Snow Skiing in Colorado

Hotel in Colorado $300/night
    Ski Rentals $50/day
    Lift Pass $150/day
    Food on the mountain...$$$ $15 for a hamburger
    Rental Car

Trip to Pully Ridge

$700
    No Hotel
    No Rental Car
    No Lift pass
    No Ski Rental
    Fishing 24 hrs a day or till you can't stay awake
    Fish to take home and enjoy for months.....
    Tip for the crew

Trip to Costa Rica fishing

Plane Flight $ 400
    Taxi to Los Suenos
    Hotel $150 night (2 people)
    Charter boat charter $1300 per day plus tip
    7 to 9 hrs on the water
    Food at night
    Exit fees

Point I'm trying to make is that the actual cost of doing a Yankee trip is a joke compared to just about any other vacation/entertainment. I did a long range trip in Alaska and it was $4500 per person... JUST for the charter!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file