HUGE RAY WE SHOT

Replies

• Florida Bow ChartersFlorida Bow Charters Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    monoxide wrote: »
    thats a nice piece of shark bait you got there. what would you recomend for a good entry level bow to bow fish with? i really only need it to stick rays with for shark bait.
    Any old bow you can get cheap and throw a reel on. Especially if you are just looking to get some bait. If you are local, I;d be happy to meet you somewhere and bring you all the frozen rays you want. Whatever my customers or I don;t take, I donate to the homeless anyway. That goes for anyone else on here who would like shark bait.
    FLORIDA BOWFISHING CHARTERS
    Even The TUFF Won't Survive!
    www.floridabowfishing.com
    TGunn wrote: »
    This.

I couldn't care less if you used a gillnet to catch gar and bowfin but it's the fact that I'm certain that they're tossed in the garbage afterward that bothers me. I feel the same way when I see jack crevalle brought into a spearfishing weigh-in and then thy sit in the sun and rot.
    Don't be so certain. Contrary to popular belief, both Gar and Bowfin are good eating fish. Gar meat is the closest fish you will ever eat to gator meat. You chunk it up and fry it up the exact same way. The problem is, too many people think that all these fish are TRASH fish because of what they have been told. Cook up a Gar and a Stingray once in your life before assuming that what everyone says is correct. Plus, certain fish need to be thinned out for the balance in the water. Ask a bass fisherman if he minds us taking Tilapia out of the water. Tilapia invade bass habitat. Most EDUCATED Bass fisherman usually yell to us "kill them all" when they see us on the water because they are aware that Tilapia are in invasive species just like carp!
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    How much is a stingray charter?
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • Lc-hunter86Lc-hunter86 Posts: 2,926 Officer
  • FLHuntress82FLHuntress82 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Well hitting that barn door with an arrow or three must have been quite the challenge.

Way to go Eddie, love your company and cant wait to go shoot some "barn doors" with you! Dont let the haters on here bother you, clearly they have NO life. :rolleyse
    ~Rip Some Lip~
  • monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    Any old bow you can get cheap and throw a reel on. Especially if you are just looking to get some bait. If you are local, I;d be happy to meet you somewhere and bring you all the frozen rays you want. Whatever my customers or I don;t take, I donate to the homeless anyway. That goes for anyone else on here who would like shark bait.

i have a old bow from when i was a kid but i cant find a decently priced reel for it. when i go to my moms ill get a model number off it. hopefully you can point me in the right direction. only fishing im gonna do with it is get rays and maybe tilapia for my mom and grandma.
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • hurricane59hurricane59 Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    checked on the internet.. some recipes for cooking up stingray were easily found... an interesting initial post, thanks for putting it there...
  • DaileyDailey Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    checked on the internet.. some recipes for cooking up stingray were easily found... an interesting initial post, thanks for putting it there...

agreed didnt know about that or eatting gar ive been just tossin them back into the lake for years smh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ron@.38 SpecialRon@.38 Special Posts: 6,627 Admiral
    Stingray recipe:

Skin the ray and cut flesh in small 3" pieces, marinate overnight in BBQ sauce. Wrap in aluminum foil and bake on the grill for about 30 minutes. Cool, then open up the foil, throw away the stingray and eat the aluminum foil! Best stingray you will ever eat!

Next week Muscovy duck a la orange..
  • Big JohnBig John Posts: 577 Officer
    monoxide wrote: »
    thats a nice piece of shark bait you got there. what would you recomend for a good entry level bow to bow fish with? i really only need it to stick rays with for shark bait.

21 foot push pole will do the trick, its gets sporting after a while
  • PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 Officer
    Can we lay off these folks? We all have differnt views. Thats what makes this crazy thing we call life work. I never ate a ray. So what? Some folks spend alot of jack to climb a stupid mountain. I never would. Comeon. differnt strokes. If ya dont agree, Dont post on this Thread. A beefcow is as big as a barndoor. Shark,Sword,Permit,Grouper,Deer,Moose,ECT.......
    When I was younger, I could remember anything...

whether it had happened or not.

Mark Twain
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    I have always wanted to try to work with ray meat, how much different than skate can it be? I wanted to put ray on the menu years back when one killed our friend Steve Irwin a sort of eat your revenge. Their are a lot of fish out there that most fisherman steer clear of, and going further I've met alot of sport fisherman that I feel are afraid of eating fish! usally such as I only eat dolphin.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,180 Captain
    Popeye wrote: »
    Can we lay off these folks? We all have differnt views. Thats what makes this crazy thing we call life work. I never ate a ray. So what? Some folks spend alot of jack to climb a stupid mountain. I never would. Comeon. differnt strokes. If ya dont agree, Dont post on this Thread. A beefcow is as big as a barndoor. Shark,Sword,Permit,Grouper,Deer,Moose,ECT.......

You guys are trying a little too hard to rationalize something that's totally senseless. If the ray was killed for meat, or even the hide (stingray leather is some of the best in the world, samurai used it on the handles of their swords, because they wouldn't lose their grip even when the weapon was soaked with blood), I wouldn't have a problem with it, but the beer soaked grins in the photo tell a different story.

Popeye- So "we all have different views" and "that's what makes this crazy thing called life work", and yet "If ya don't agree, don't post on this thread"? Well which is it?
  • Lc-hunter86Lc-hunter86 Posts: 2,926 Officer
    You guys are trying a little too hard to rationalize something that's totally senseless. If the ray was killed for meat, or even the hide (stingray leather is some of the best in the world, samurai used it on the handles of their swords, because they wouldn't lose their grip even when the weapon was soaked with blood), I wouldn't have a problem with it, but the beer soaked grins in the photo tell a different story.

Popeye- So "we all have different views" and "that's what makes this crazy thing called life work", and yet "If ya don't agree, don't post on this thread"? Well which is it?

Are people not allowed to enjoy what they are doing? I don't care for certain styles of fishing...for instance I hate trolling. That doesn't mean its senseless! The only thing senseless here was your passing judgement on someone and their hobbies that are COMPLETELY within the law I might add. Just because YOU (god?) Don't agree with something doesn't make it senseless. The man says they eat the rays. That's all you need to know. Infact its honestly none of your business what he does with them. Get it? Got it? Good!
    This!

Mark Twain
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    Nice ray! Count me in on the bowfishing side of this debate.
  • FLHuntress82FLHuntress82 Posts: 7 Greenhorn

Beer soaked grins?! You know what they say about ASSuming, right?!? And even if they do have "beer soaked grins" **** is the prob with it? I will sit on a boat ALL day catching fish, while downing beers... whats the prob?!? Fish, stingray, deer, hog... everyone is entitled to their own opinions on what they want to kill/eat, but NO ONE has the right to pass judgment, or belittle someone else's hobbies as long as they are legal and ethical. CHEERS to that! :beer
    ~Rip Some Lip~
    99% of my clients don't even drink because honestly they don't have the time. We are literally shooting at fish or rays every few minutes if not less. When you are soaking baits, you have a lot more time to drink between hits. My customers are too busy shooting all night, but I appreciate the comments because this post was intended only to be an introduction to the forum with a picture of a giant ray that my customers were very proud of and it turned out to be a thread that has revealed some interesting opinions and has shed light on many misconceptions and assumptions that some people have. There's more than one way to skin a cat and I don't think for one second that a guy who spears fish would have gotten the same responses. Were doing the same thing, just above the water rather than in it. Welcome to the new world of the outdoors cause guess what, now people are doing it with slingshots(not kidding) and next year it will be something else. Creative YET LEGAL ideas are sprouting up everyday and thank God they are because thats whats keeping the Outdoor Sports industry alive. This narrow minded mentality would have handed over every gun, bow and YES fishing pole to the ANTIS long ago if it weren't for innovative people keeping all of this alive and well. Take a kid bowfishing and then take a kid fishing. Tell me which one kept his or her busy little mind occupied all day and wanting more. The future of our outdoor sports depends on a variety of things and narrow minded bs isn;t one of them.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,547 Captain
    I'm all for thinning out the rays. Seen some big ones wade fishing but that one is scary big.
    Lastly, nice user photo. Is that the captain?
    The one with the beer soaked grin?

Mark Twain
  • sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    It's more of an archery thing than a fishing thing.

are you s*i**i*g me? How in the name of god could you miss something like that?!.....This is riduculous..
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
    Very cool ray at least you eat your fish,whereas the catch and release fisherman's fish usually die or are eaten by other fish shortly after being returned to the water. Nothing cooler than seeing a giant tarpon being eaten alive by a hammerhead because a fisherman had to test his machoness and put a hook in it's mouth.

someone's never caught a big tarpon beeffoorree....
    I am choice.
    99% of my clients don't even drink because honestly they don't have the time. We are literally shooting at fish or rays every few minutes if not less. When you are soaking baits, you have a lot more time to drink between hits. My customers are too busy shooting all night, but I appreciate the comments because this post was intended only to be an introduction to the forum with a picture of a giant ray that my customers were very proud of and it turned out to be a thread that has revealed some interesting opinions and has shed light on many misconceptions and assumptions that some people have. There's more than one way to skin a cat and I don't think for one second that a guy who spears fish would have gotten the same responses. Were doing the same thing, just above the water rather than in it. Welcome to the new world of the outdoors cause guess what, now people are doing it with slingshots(not kidding) and next year it will be something else. Creative YET LEGAL ideas are sprouting up everyday and thank God they are because thats whats keeping the Outdoor Sports industry alive. This narrow minded mentality would have handed over every gun, bow and YES fishing pole to the ANTIS long ago if it weren't for innovative people keeping all of this alive and well. Take a kid bowfishing and then take a kid fishing. Tell me which one kept his or her busy little mind occupied all day and wanting more. The future of our outdoor sports depends on a variety of things and narrow minded bs isn;t one of them.

for the love of god, this makes me think you have clients on the reg. is this true?
    I am choice.
  • reelhookerreelhooker Posts: 644 Officer
    Get off the mans back. At least he's working for his paycheck and doing legally. I wish you put this much effort in *****ing about crackheads on welfare or the horrible education here in Florida. I have eaten gar and sting ray. You have no right disbelieving someones intentions because its not your "norm". Go catch your grouper and snapper and worry about your fishing waters. It shows stupidity and arrogance to make comments against someone before some of you even knew it was edible.
  • JB2110JB2110 Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Stingray recipe:

Skin the ray and cut flesh in small 3" pieces, marinate overnight in BBQ sauce. Wrap in aluminum foil and bake on the grill for about 30 minutes. Cool, then open up the foil, throw away the stingray and eat the aluminum foil! Best stingray you will ever eat!

Next week Muscovy duck a la orange..

Funniest post in a LONG time!!!! Muscovy duck a la orange is delicious!
    '06 Action Craft Coastal Bay 2110
    JB2110 wrote: »
    Funniest post in a LONG time!!!! Muscovy duck a la orange is delicious!
    You sound like a true conissuer. I bet your breath stinks too.

Mark Twain
  • ponderosa pirateponderosa pirate Posts: 77 Deckhand
    One man's trophy is another man's opportunity to be an a**hole by belittling the first man's accomplishment. That is the very reason I just "lurk" on this forum. Too many people sitting around and waiting for someone to post so they can attack.
  • spinfreakspinfreak Posts: 5,204 Officer
    Skates and Rays are pretty much the same meat. Back in NJ, lots of people kept skates and ate the wings. I tried it once, and while it was good, there wasn't much meat on it. I'd keep a ray in a heartbeat if I caught one. Those fillets would be **** good eating. As was already mentioned, fake scallops (like some Chinese restaurants sell), are just little circles cut from ray wings, breaded, and deep fried. While not the same quality as real scallops, they're delicious.
    Exiled Dungeon Master of The Freakshow :cool:
    YOU NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP! Seriously. Do it for yourself and loved ones. You have issues
  • JB2110JB2110 Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Popeye wrote: »
    You sound like a true conissuer. I bet your breath stinks too.

You just did the same thing your defending the OP from... attacking someone for no reason. I just said it was a funny post - I didn't say anything about the guy who skillfully shot a large doormat from 5 feet away.
    '06 Action Craft Coastal Bay 2110
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,364 Admiral
    spinfreak wrote: »
    Skates and Rays are pretty much the same meat. Back in NJ, lots of people kept skates and ate the wings. I tried it once, and while it was good, there wasn't much meat on it. I'd keep a ray in a heartbeat if I caught one. Those fillets would be **** good eating. As was already mentioned, fake scallops (like some Chinese restaurants sell), are just little circles cut from ray wings, breaded, and deep fried. While not the same quality as real scallops, they're delicious.

I always thought long john silvers scallops where just plugged ray wings from Asia.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file