1st Turkey for my Boy

down4dacountdown4dacount Posts: 2,580 Officer
This was my mission for this Spring Turkey Season to get my son on his first bird . This weekend involved lot's of miles of driving . Fri afternoon got to the WMA and roosted a nice Gobbler . But I was limited in time to hunt Sat cause I had to come home for a funeral at noon . I wasn't about to miss opening morning . A buddy of mine met me there and we setup on the gobbler but he pitched down into private land and never looked back . I went home with my tail tucked in , but atleast it got me fired up when he gobbled 3 times . Got back , changed attire , funeral , had lunch with wife and kids and left back to the woods with Christopher . We got to our spot and went in with 45 minutes left of daylight . On the way I heard a gobble bout 200 yards out , then 3 more . I knew where he was going so we circled him . We got 150 yards from where I though he would be and yeap ,there he was . Big longbeard hanging down . It was a long night that's all can say . We setup on him 80 yards from him . I could see him through the branches . Sunwas coming up and hawks and crows calling . First gobble from him sparked 4 other birds in the area . Christopher was getting excited and shaking . I made some soft purrs and clucks , and that bird gobbled at everything I threw at him . The only thing I overlooked was a old trail in between the pines . I kinda knew he would flydown and maybe go down that trail . He flew down and landed 65 yards from the hen decoy . Then right from above us , 2 other birds flew behind us . He strutted and gobbled several times but then we he heard all the gobbling and yelping from the other group he packed it up and headed that way . I told Chris to be patient that there's other birds close by . 20 minutes went by which seemed 2 hours . I could hear something 40 yards behind but I had no view behind . Few minutes went by and I heard a light cluck to my left . I just slightly turn my head and strained my eyes to see 2 Superjakes standing 12-15 feet next to us . I quietly whispered we got turkeys on our left . He couldn't see em so I turned his head and I could see his eyes get big . I said relax we need to get the gun ( my 12 ga Stoeger with light #7 loads , my wife couldn't open the safe to get his 20 ga out ) into position . Turkeys got within 5 feet from decoy on the other side of fence . I positioned the gun and asked if he was on em . He said his head is down , I clucked twice and when he lifted up his head ,I said choot em . Boom and I see the bird run and 10 feet later drops , flapping around . I jumped up and got ready just incase but no second shot needed . I have to say this has been the best hunt in my years in the woods . He had a smile you could see with a facemask on . Big ol Jake , 13.4 lbs , monter 3-1/2" Beard . We got hunt on video , will post later when I edit . Thank you Lord
20130303_072808_zpsf42d8314.jpg
20130303_095219_zpsa3513cda.jpg
20130303_095939_zpsf6922717.jpg
DSC_0308-2_zpsf59f8ce9.jpg
ShotKam Pro Staff
Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me
Check out my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/Down4dacount1?feature=mhee
[IMG][/img]

Replies

• FloridaBoyFloridaBoy Posts: 284 Officer
    Nice work! Saturday I called what would have been the first one for my lil brother, had him about 25yds but he couldnt get the shot off before he spooked. We could only hunt one day but it was awesome to see my lil brother get so excited. Congrats on your son's first!
  • Derek ArsuaDerek Arsua Posts: 2,474 Officer
    Congrats ray way to go man! Super jake or stud it wouldn't have mattered I still remember my first bird with my dad over 7 years ago and it seems like it happened just this past weekend I'm sure he will remember that morning for the rest of his life and congrats to him as well he has accomplished a bigger feat than I have and that's fooling and harvesting the wise and sketchy Osceola turkey
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,057 Moderator
    Exceptional !! Good job Dad and congrats to the boy.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Bow 2 BoneBow 2 Bone Posts: 60 Deckhand
    Congrats on your boys first Turkey...my 9 year old shot his first deer and with a Bow...like you said it makes it one of the best hunts when you share it with them.
  • floridacrackrfloridacrackr Posts: 603 Officer
    Congrats....thats awesome! I cant wait to take my son. He's only 2 so i have another yr or 2. I can actually see a hint of a smile in that last pic...lol!
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,799 Moderator
    Way to go! You must have been pretty pumped indeed... I can almost see a smile on your face.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,450 Admiral
    I can't imagine how proud you are. Awesome bird!
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 11,796 AG
    Congrats to the boy and you :beer
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • AgentXAgentX Posts: 584 Officer
    That's so awesome. Congrats. I only wish I could get my daughter to go out with me. Her mom (my ex) doesn't think its a good idea and would rather her watch tv and play wii all day. I keep putting in permits for her in hopes that one day she'll go with me. Congratulations again ray and to your son. The story made me smile.
    The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare....
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 Posts: 4,083 Captain
    wayto go ray congrats
    living life as i like
  • BatemasterBatemaster Posts: 1,699 Captain
    Congrats. Post the video.
  • huntmstrhuntmstr Posts: 6,284 Admiral
    Good deal brother. Happy for you Ray. Hoping Emma gets her first Saturday and Elizabeth puts another one down this weekend as well. Hoping and praying the turkey gods are good to us. He may not score much, but he's a trophy no matter what any score tells you. Congratulations again.
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

I had you pissed off at hello.
  • ReelAffair23ReelAffair23 Posts: 784 Officer
    Congrats on your first and many more to come Christopher!! And ongrats to you to Ray, for keeping him involved in the outdoors. Take your boy hunting, you'll never have to hunt for your boy.....
  • DropTine797DropTine797 Posts: 681 Officer
    Again congrats team to you team bodycount!
    Seven down, Eight to go.
  • davidfloridadavidflorida Posts: 1,101 Officer
    Way to get on the board kid ,congrats. Nice job Ray glad all the work you did paid off.
    If you can't hear it your not listening.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 1,426 Officer
    Congrats to you and Christopher, Ray.
  • GlennGlenn Posts: 1,660 Officer
    Congrats! Can't wait to get both of my boys on some birds...
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 11,796 AG
    AgentX wrote: »
    That's so awesome. Congrats. I only wish I could get my daughter to go out with me. Her mom (my ex) doesn't think its a good idea and would rather her watch tv and play wii all day.

Not telling you what to do brother but my time with my kid would be spent as they any I would want to do. Good luck man and I wish you get her out there.

Congrats again Christopher and pops.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    The rest of yall south fl public land boys may as well just give up. Now there are two of em willynilly
  • Lc-hunter86Lc-hunter86 Posts: 2,926 Officer
    Thats awesome man, congrats to the two of you!
    ducknfish wrote: »
    The rest of yall south fl public land boys may as well just give up. Now there are two of em willynilly

The youngin may pass him up before he knows it ;)
  • ecueagleecueagle Posts: 478 Officer
    Congrats! Way to get the youngin' started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • down4dacountJrdown4dacountJr Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    I read all the replies with my dad . Thanks for the complements and a special Thanks to my dad .
    Christopher
  • DONY 1DONY 1 Posts: 557 Officer
    Congrats Christopher! Your dad was smiling just as much as you were. Good job!!!
    Don't cost nuttin to be nice
  • swamphunterswamphunter Posts: 179 Officer
    Congrats to down4dacountjr laying the smack down on that jake way to go kiddo following ure dads footsteps... Best part is i got an invite in 2 weeks to try to get me on a bird with team bodycount
  • Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,082 Officer
    Congrats Jr!!! Im sure you and your father will never forget that day!!! Awesome bird!!! Great time ray
    I read all the replies with my dad . Thanks for the complements and a special Thanks to my dad .
    Christopher

You're very welcome young man! Welcome to the forum!
  • joekat46joekat46 Posts: 1,737 Captain
    Great picture and story. Congrats to both of you. The legend (now legends) continues. Waiting on the video.
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 843 Officer
    Congratulations and thanks for sharing

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• Larry MacLarry Mac Posts: 5,444 Admiral
    WTG Ray. Congrats. Those pics are the greatest. One of my few goals left in my life is to do the same for my grandson. Can't wait to see the video

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file