PDA

View Full Version : Black Tip in the lagoon

Wild Life
08-03-2011, 05:31 PM
This was a first for me.... on a flat not far from haulover canal, a buddy and I came acorss a 3.5 - 4ft Black Tip. It struck twice at my jig and then saw my boat and dipped... Everything happened in slow motion. How awesome would that have been if i had hooked him in the corner lip..... :banghead

fishinforreal
08-03-2011, 06:33 PM
bull shark.
baby bull shark have identical markings to a black tip.
you won't find any black tips in the lagoons, but you'll find baby bull sharks somewhat often.

sharkatak1089
08-03-2011, 06:36 PM
um..I've caught blacktips / spinners my whole life. Multiple times in the north end of the lagoon. I don't doubt he saw one..not a bit.

fishinforreal
08-03-2011, 06:41 PM
u should report them to the federal shark biologist who studies sharks in the lagoon then. He's never come across one. but he's got a hundred pictures of baby bull sharks from the lagoon that look identical. he said it would be extremely rare to find a blacktip in the lagoon itself. up around ponce would be a different story.

baby bull sharks have black markings on their fins too

i'll find his contact info for you, he would want pictures and info to log such finds.

Wild Life
08-03-2011, 07:34 PM
My buddy and I both agree it was a black tip at the time of the sighting. I even mentioned how strange it was because typically it's only bull sharks this far down river. We got a great view, it came within 5ft of our boat side for about 20 seconds. The two black tips on the fin and tail were very distinct... I'm not a biologist, but i believe it was a black tip.

sharkatak1089
08-03-2011, 07:43 PM
u should report them to the federal shark biologist who studies sharks in the lagoon then. He's never come across one. but he's got a hundred pictures of baby bull sharks from the lagoon that look identical. he said it would be extremely rare to find a blacktip in the lagoon itself. up around ponce would be a different story.

baby bull sharks have black markings on their fins too

i'll find his contact info for you, he would want pictures and info to log such finds.

go ahead, and i'll get right on finding the pics i didn't take of a blacktip puppy.....

fishinforreal
08-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Sorry, he's with the state. Not federal. His name is Doug Adams with the FWC.

My point was juvenile bull sharks have distinct black markings on their fins too. Easily confused with blacktip sharks.

The second point was he documents shark finds/catches within the estuary (if you have something he can use as proof) and would really be interested in what you've got. No need to turn it into a pissing match about what you know about sharks, sharkatak.

My personal favorite I've encountered was a tiger shark that was free swimming on the surface of the ICW in Oak Hill last November. Talk about crazy sh*&!

designated_hitter
08-04-2011, 09:07 AM
I was with Wild Life when he saw the shark. Even after looking at several photos of baby bull sharks on othe internet i am still betting it was a black tip that we saw. Either way i love seeing sharks in the intercoastal, i would of loved to see that tiger shark.

Jettypark
08-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Heck with the babies, its the mama that swimming out there that worrys me...LOL
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc163/jettypark28/IMG_0508.jpg

Art Vandelay
08-04-2011, 03:13 PM
i've never caught a black tip in the indian river plently of small bulls, but I don't go into mosquito much. I know black tips don't like low salinity so maybe they could be around mosquito lagoon b/c I think that the salinity is higher up there. IDK i'm no Biosharkyologist

RemoteRedsTrout
08-04-2011, 04:50 PM
I've saw a bonnethead just south of Oak Hill, probably 3'

Oviedoav
08-04-2011, 08:05 PM
I fish that area about every day. First gators, now sharks? I think maybe i will be spending a little more time in the boat, and not out wading around from it lol.

Skipper Ryan
08-04-2011, 08:45 PM
I've been finding quite a few small bulls and blacktips over by the melbourne bridges.

RemoteRedsTrout
08-04-2011, 08:46 PM
I fish that area about every day. First gators, now sharks? I think maybe i will be spending a little more time in the boat, and not out wading around from it lol.

I saw the bonnethead from my friends boat in the channel on the west side of the lagoon, no worries bonnetheads won't bite...................bulls are another story. I'd keep the stringer near shore as far away as possible!

l Ringo l
08-04-2011, 09:30 PM
A few years ago a buddy and I were fishing the fenders in haulover w/ big croakers that were running through thick. Along w/ a bunch of other bait. Lots of bioluminescence in the water. Caugh about a 4.5ft hammerhead. (NOT bonnethead) Not sure if it was a scalloped hammer or great hammer but it was def. no bonnet. Of course no photographic proof :banghead: But def. a suprise (esp. landing it w/ a 40lb flouro leader)

"Lil" Cracker
08-04-2011, 10:09 PM
I've caught both blacktips & bulls in & around haulover. They might have similar markings but also are very distinctively different looking.

Capt. Tyler Vollmer
08-05-2011, 06:23 AM
Congratulations to the Discovery Channel for reaching even the forum this week. I'm a bit surprised I'm not drinking out of a shark cup from 7-11.

JOE C
08-05-2011, 10:30 AM
early this spring i was fishing mathers bridge and i seen somebody catch a 3.5 foot nurse shark

Art Vandelay
08-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Congratulations to the Discovery Channel for reaching even the forum this week. I'm a bit surprised I'm not drinking out of a shark cup from 7-11.

You mean your not?.....................loser

jk

Dz0
08-05-2011, 09:12 PM
I caught 3 Blacktip sharks in the 3-4 foot size range in June in Melbourne, just south of the boat ramp in the channel that leads into Cane Creek. Caught them off of cut pinfish off the bottom. I verified they were Blacktips and not bullsharks. Blacktips do in fact tolerate low salinity and brackish water, but not to the extreme (freshwater) that bullsharks manage.