PDA

View Full Version : PC Beach Pods are back - finally hooked a big Tarpon!

dwyermw
08-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Went South out of the Port netted some pogies and away we went. Dragging a pogie on a jig head off the back of the flats boat while we casted pogies off the edge of the pods. Caught three sharks when bingo - Mr. Tarpon took one off of a line on the back of the poling platform. Two beautiful jumps and then she headed due east. Could not get the other line in, trolling motor up, etc and big engine started before we started seeing the end of the spool (20 lb.s test). People on the beach cheering then snap -no more line. A very final silence -awesome. Called Profit in off the buoys; he showed up but nothing after that. Came back Sunday - nothing but sharks. Never saw a tarpon roll, no visuals in the pogie schools. Huge bait pods on shore though. The medication at Milliken's reef worked however. So far, my tarpon hook ups are averaging $16000 per hook up.

Panfishangler1
08-01-2011, 02:09 PM
dude.... words cant explain! that sucks!.... But what an experience. I guess you can say it was worth it, and that was a bigger than normal size tarpon. Good stuff!

Pescatoral Pursuit
08-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Went South out of the Port netted some pogies and away we went. Dragging a pogie on a jig head off the back of the flats boat while we casted pogies off the edge of the pods. Caught three sharks when bingo - Mr. Tarpon took one off of a line on the back of the poling platform. Two beautiful jumps and then she headed due east. Could not get the other line in, trolling motor up, etc and big engine started before we started seeing the end of the spool (20 lb.s test). People on the beach cheering then snap -no more line. A very final silence -awesome. Called Profit in off the buoys; he showed up but nothing after that. Came back Sunday - nothing but sharks. Never saw a tarpon roll, no visuals in the pogie schools. Huge bait pods on shore though. The medication at Milliken's reef worked however. So far, my tarpon hook ups are averaging $16000 per hook up.

You'll get him next time.

When I'm fishing with lighter tackle, and there is a possibility of tying into an elephant, I keep a spare 30# rig with a snap swivel to tie onto the first one.

Haven't had to use it yet, but the old saying "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

angler18
08-01-2011, 05:34 PM
i'm sure it was a adrenalin rush, maybe next time!