PDA

View Full Version : Late Snapper Season Report

BottomLine25
07-30-2011, 01:24 AM
I know it's a touch behind...but here's a 2011 Snapper season report:

I've been selfishly checking out all the posts and feel compelled to share my season however late it may be.

Went out a 1/2 dozen times in between work, unrelated travel and a new niece. Spent more time Red Grouper fishing excpecting to catch large Snapper in doing so. Worked fairly well on the popular live bottom to the West out of PC. Found that the smellier, nastier yet "Fresh" bait worked the best for the Red Groupers. Butterflied Ladyfish, Spanish, Bonita chunks and strips all produced action. Got into our fair share of Bliners and Triggers as a welcome bonus. Here's a nice Red Grouper

While bumpin the Live Bottom diggin for Grouper produced when we targeted Snapper on some "stuff" I've been fishing the last 8yrs it was automatic. However, bar none the best and most fun way to get the bigguns is to anchor and freeline light leaded dead bait of the store bought variety on light line in weak current. Here's a nice 14lber

A couple more snapper pics

All in all a great season. Snapper were thick and so were the boats. It's always nice when you are anchored off the beaten path catchin fish and some yahoo:devil trolls close enough to shake hands trying to snake what you've worked very hard to keep yours. No respect. But what can you do?

Headed to the Keys Friday to Bust some Bugs then it's time for the Woods! Unless of course we are pleasantly surprised with another shot at more SOWS! Panhandler, Good luck on the Gators and sorry for not showing our trip pic the file wouldn't compress.

Klinger
07-30-2011, 09:40 AM
Good report! Let us know how you do in the Keys. We will be headed down to Marathon on August 6 for 3 weeks.

AAngler
07-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Good report, I miss KEEPING Red Snapper!! Hope you do well with the bugs.

Split Shot
07-30-2011, 11:07 PM
Life could look a lot worse! ;^):beer

Panhandler80
07-31-2011, 01:48 AM
Blah blah blah.

So... everybody wants to anchor now. sigh.

(call me if we get weekend allowance for any combination that's 3 of 4. Gag, red grouper, snapper or AJ. I have the exact trip planned the perfect tools to do it with. I caught about 90# of fish today and they are all coming with us. Got a great spot in mind that we fished this time last year. YOU can fish for free, + $25... for the $50 I still owe ya!)

crcattypc
07-31-2011, 01:27 PM
Good catchin ... we need to go diving when you get back from Keys... Where did you fish yesterday Panhandler?

Panhandler80
07-31-2011, 06:43 PM
Never really fished.

We went boat riding into Gulf County and then took a boat ride back. Spent some time in the water.

crcattypc
07-31-2011, 07:15 PM
nice
any poons around

Split Shot
07-31-2011, 09:53 PM
He wouldn't know what one looked like!

JoeFish
07-31-2011, 11:09 PM
Thanks for posting your report, nothing like seeing some beautiful fish ready to feed da family.