PDA

View Full Version : How to troll ballyhoo deep??? Help

brendon94
07-30-2011, 12:04 AM
I fish on a 20ft cc with a single engine and have a bimini, therefore i have no outriggers and do not want to mess with gunnel outriggers. When i troll, i troll rigged hoos on the surface, but i am only able to troll two lines one long and one short. Any more lines and i get big tangles. I have always wanted to troll deep baits but have no room for a downrigger. I know of several other methods to troll baits deep including, planers, and heavy trolling weights but am not sure which method would be best for my situation. I would appreciate if you guys could share any previous experinces any of you have had with your other methods and how they work for you. Thank you for any help or advice in advance.

auqaholic
07-30-2011, 09:30 AM
First you can start by angling the first set of rod holders(closest to the helm) outward, not facing strait back. Then with the second set of rod holders(closest to the engine)strait back but attach transom release clips on either side of the engine then you should be able to run 4 lines with min.$ spent.

seaweasel
07-30-2011, 10:45 AM
the key is flat line clips attached to the transom rings or transom cleats. they will keep 2 baits straight back behind boat. Only need a short distance for the baits, like in the propwash or just behind.

Then the 2 in rod holders can fish further back, giving you 4 lines easily.

for a deep line, a planer will work but rig it with wire leaders so that it doesn't get eaten by a wahoo.

brendon94
07-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Allright il give the planer and transom clips a try, thanks for the help

INTREPID377
07-30-2011, 01:03 PM
More important than HOW you get a ballyhoo deep, is the way you rig it. You don't just take a surface/skipping rig, throw it on a planer/trolling weight and get to work. The 'hoo will spin, washout and catch almost nothing. You'll need to learn how to rig a swimming ballyhoo.

There's a number of ways to do it so find one you can do well and perfect it. Here's an example - http://www.baitmasters.com/store/nrigtips.asp

JoeGiul
07-30-2011, 01:43 PM
On a boat like yours buy a couple of these http://www.amazon.com/Whitecap-Bluewater-S-S-Rod-Rigger/dp/B00144ALPK and you will be able to run four rods easy. I have outriggers on my boat and sometime I use the rod riggers anyway just because I can get lazy.

conchydong
07-30-2011, 03:06 PM
Get a Penn downrigger with the rodholder mount for one or both of your aft rodholders. This way you can slow troll/drift livebaits also at desired depth. They come with an optional rod holder attachment, so you will not lose any rod holder space. As prior mentioned, check your rigged trolling bait to make sure it swims properly before you lower it down.

brendon94
07-30-2011, 05:01 PM
Another quick question, when trolling hoos on the surface, lets say just two lines how far back do i need to troll them in terms of feet?

INTREPID377
07-30-2011, 07:48 PM
It's not a question of "feet" it's where they look best. Until you see it for yourself, you won't believe this but I'll say it anyway. The closer the baits are to the boat, the better they work on most species (tuna being a notable exception). If you're only trolling two baits, you want to troll your baits in the nearest clear water behind your prop wash. 15' to 20 clear of the white water would be about right.

brendon94
07-31-2011, 01:21 PM
It's not a question of "feet" it's where they look best. Until you see it for yourself, you won't believe this but I'll say it anyway. The closer the baits are to the boat, the better they work on most species (tuna being a notable exception). If you're only trolling two baits, you want to troll your baits in the nearest clear water behind your prop wash. 15' to 20 clear of the white water would be about right.

all right ill be sure to do that.

Blovigator
07-31-2011, 02:05 PM
the key is flat line clips attached to the transom rings or transom cleats. they will keep 2 baits straight back behind boat. Only need a short distance for the baits, like in the propwash or just behind.

Then the 2 in rod holders can fish further back, giving you 4 lines easily.

for a deep line, a planer will work but rig it with wire leaders so that it doesn't get eaten by a wahoo.

I have been fishing for 25 years using a #5 commercial planer and have never used wire. I use 30 feet of 80-100# mono with a sea witch a 5/0 short shank and 3 trailing 7/0 mustads. All the hooks go in the fish point side up. Swims beautiful and my hookups without wire are 5x higher. I have been cut off maybe twice in 25 years. Kings always hit the back hook. Don't use wire unless your in the trolling business and not the catching business. My cousin said this was a commercial rig he learned from the king guys in Canaveral.

WetFeet
08-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Blovigator, could you post a pictue of that rig, I would love to make one, thanks.