PDA

View Full Version : Personal best Red today

Oviedoav
07-25-2011, 09:20 PM
Well, managed to sneak out again this morning. Found a small school of big reds first thing in the am. Followed them around a while throwing some artificials at them with no luck. Was resting up for a minute when evidently i was parked directly over them in 3' of water. They finally spooked and rocked my Gheenoe so hard i almost fell out. I decided to just chill out there and let them calm down a bit. Threw out a Berkley gulp pogy just to let is soak for a few. Line spooled of and the fight was on. Took me alsmost a half hour to land it, after having to chase it with the trolling motor because he kept spooking me. The red was 40" and 27lbs on my boga. Released happy and healthy. Weird thing was, as i was cleaning up the boat after the fight, a few came back and started tailing right against the boat! One big guy had his big ol floppy tail wagging against the side of the Gheenoe for about 10 seconds. Could have caught that one with my net, lol. Sorry for the bad pics, but not easy took take one with that fish and an iPhone!
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q303/OVIEDOAV/a588c7f3.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q303/OVIEDOAV/a7c1e6bb.jpg

DuPont
07-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Just curious.... 30min fight:huh What size gear / line were you using?
great fish for sure:beer

Oviedoav
07-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Just curious.... 30min fight:huh What size gear / line were you using?
great fish for sure:beer
Shimano Sahara 2500, Berkley Amp rod, 10pm test with 20lb leader. 3/0 Gam. Circle hook. I have lost many of these guys in the past 2weeks with broken line. He towed me and my ghetto eall around that bay this morning. I love fighting them on the light tackle!

Fluffy
07-25-2011, 10:27 PM
WTG! Nice Red!

duckmanJR
07-25-2011, 10:31 PM
Nice Red!

Capt. Tyler Vollmer
07-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Did you launch from haulover early Saturday morning?

Oviedoav
07-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Did you launch from haulover early Saturday morning?
Hmm, yes sir. Usually don't do the weekends but i gave it a shot this week. Hooked up on a couple that day, 38" was my best on Saturday.

Capt. Tyler Vollmer
07-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Thought so. I'm not sure which Gheenoe you were in (there were 2 running us down) but the one with 4 people in it needs to know that that whole area is a manatee zone. Jumping on plane for 30 seconds then going back to idle isn't justifiable to FWC because someone is a head of you heading to the same spot. Not calling you out personally because I don't know who it was, just calling the person in the wrong.

Laidback
07-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Nice Red! Congrats on a new personal best!

Tyler- Looks like Oviedo took that pic of himself - himself, so I doubt he's the guilty party.

BTW - fishing 4 people out of a gheenoe doesn't sound like too much fun. That's a sign times really are tough.

Big Dago
07-26-2011, 02:19 PM
4 people in a gheenoe, I'm going wading before I try that. My wife and I done a 360 in 14' canoe once. Nice job on the red!!!!!

Oviedoav
07-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Thought so. I'm not sure which Gheenoe you were in (there were 2 running us down) but the one with 4 people in it needs to know that that whole area is a manatee zone. Jumping on plane for 30 seconds then going back to idle isn't justifiable to FWC because someone is a head of you heading to the same spot. Not calling you out personally because I don't know who it was, just calling the person in the wrong.
No, that for sure wasn't me. That fish was from yesterday, not Saturday. But, I was either alone on Saturday or with my son, can't remember since I go so much. Uh, 4 peeps in a Gheenoe, no thanks. I did see them at the ramp and FWC was having a chat with them about being overloaded. Running full speed in that area is crazy, as I have seen many manatee, gator and dolphins in there. Once again, you wouldn't fare well in a Gheenoe if you run over one of those!

Oviedoav
07-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Actually, do remember now. Had my son in the boat with me. I was sitting on the poling platform driving with my feet. I did get up on plane 1X when he walked to the front of the boat. In the ghees just a little weight ship can do that.

Capt. Tyler Vollmer
07-26-2011, 05:10 PM
No, that for sure wasn't me. That fish was from yesterday, not Saturday. But, I was either alone on Saturday or with my son, can't remember since I go so much. Uh, 4 peeps in a Gheenoe, no thanks. I did see them at the ramp and FWC was having a chat with them about being overloaded. Running full speed in that area is crazy, as I have seen many manatee, gator and dolphins in there. Once again, you wouldn't fare well in a Gheenoe if you run over one of those!

I was referring to Saturday morning. I was in the skiff ahead of both you and the cuban gheenoe. Like I said, I'm not calling you out personally because I wasn't for sure who it was. Next time I will have to have a chat with the fellow. Not to mention the 2 guys in the green lostmen rode ALL THE WAY in on full plane and passed 30' behind us on idle. What a nice chap. I've been trying to get FWC to patrol that area as well as the flat east of Titusville between peacocks pocket and the 405 bridge. Every time I hit that flat I have people running by me on full plane. Those people are the reason I don't fish the lagoon and I still have to put up with them in manatee zones in the IRL. What a joke.

angler18
07-26-2011, 07:41 PM
sweet red, good job and congrats!

Oviedoav
07-26-2011, 11:09 PM
I was referring to Saturday morning. I was in the skiff ahead of both you and the cuban gheenoe. Like I said, I'm not calling you out personally because I wasn't for sure who it was. Next time I will have to have a chat with the fellow. Not to mention the 2 guys in the green lostmen rode ALL THE WAY in on full plane and passed 30' behind us on idle. What a nice chap. I've been trying to get FWC to patrol that area as well as the flat east of Titusville between peacocks pocket and the 405 bridge. Every time I hit that flat I have people running by me on full plane. Those people are the reason I don't fish the lagoon and I still have to put up with them in manatee zones in the IRL. What a joke.
I agree 100%. Where you over there last week fishing by me when the guy in the black boat came in on plane? Not sure if that was you, but the guide was as unhappy as I was. About 90% of the days I am out there I have someone run up on me at speed. Pretty aggravating. I had one guide tell me he could run in there because he was licensed captain? Not sure about that one, never heard of that before??

Capt. Tyler Vollmer
07-27-2011, 07:25 AM
Some captain's do possess a commercial crabbing permit which allows them to run manatee zones and yes that was me that was unhappy.

Oviedoav
07-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Some captain's do possess a commercial crabbing permit which allows them to run manatee zones and yes that was me that was unhappy. ok, cool. Don't think there are any crabbers running up there. At least it looked like you got your client hooked up on a nice one that day the black boat ran up on us. I talked to him the next day at the ramp and he denied it. Oh well. See you out there. Tight lines.

PONCE
07-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Good work wrangling some nice Reds http://serve.mysmiley.net/cool/cool0010.gif