PDA

View Full Version : Attempt #1 at Tarpon off of Ponce 6/23

fishinjacket
07-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Never done the tarpon thing, shoot i've never even caught a tarpon before. But a buddy of mine who has access to a 22 pathfinder said let's go so we tried to figure out what we needed to do and go from there. Finally found a bait pond and blacked out the livewell in one throw, so that had us pretty excited. Fished a huge pod for quite a while and also chummed a little bit. Nothing. Kept heading south and found a pond where we saw a tarpon surface, but no takers. Kept working other pods and no go. Hopefully we will get on a few. Any pointers are needed. Even the most detailed pointers like where you like to hook your live bait for tarpon and keeping the pogies lively once they are on the hook. All in all tho, it was a beautiful day and really just enjoyed being out on the water. Here's go next time...:beer we will get into them.

jinxedfisher
07-24-2011, 07:12 AM
If tarpon are in the area you will see them surfacing. Don't waste your time in an area if you don't see any roll within 10 min of being there. One thing I can assure you is that just because you see some, does not mean they will eat. Tarpon are VERY frustrating and very finicky eaters. Try using some large mullet too, sometimes having something different sparks their curiosity...I can't give you all my knowledge, half the fun of fishing is figuring out how to target different things

torque
07-24-2011, 07:28 AM
I fished the same area with the same results. Plenty of bait, diving birds, no fish (tarpon, jscks, kings, etc) Frustrating to have all l the perfect components and not catch fish. We did have one good size shark on one of the light (20 lb) rigs. He grabbed a live bait at just took off. After about 100 yrds he chewed through the leader.
Maybe next time
Torque

KayakFred
07-24-2011, 04:46 PM
call me 407-230-0067

fishinjacket
07-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Thanks guys. Yea...It was tough sledding, but it's even more difficult when the fish aren't there (just look at every other type of fishing). Oh well, I will finally catch one of those things and try to get get better at this type of fishing while having fun and being out on the water. Maybe I'll see some of you guys out there this weekend, if my buddy decides to go.

angler18
07-26-2011, 06:29 PM
sounds like you guys were full of anticipation, which is very much needed. I like to hook the pogies through the nostrils with a 5/0 circle hook, or up to 7/0 if baits are big, and use 50-80 lb floro leader. To keep them fresh, dump buckets full of fresh salt water on them every 10 minutes or so, or if you see some gulping on the surface of baitwell. Also you don't want to have too many in the well. The defecate a lot and that will take the life out of them quick. Sometimes it can be slow out there, but be patient and you will be rewarded!

Final Point
07-26-2011, 11:29 PM
Sounds like an enjoyable but frustrating day. I like to use Gamagatsu 4x nautilus circle hooks...they are nicely shaped and I've yet to lose a tarpon due to a straigtened or broken hook. I also like to hook my Pogies through the nostrils, and sometimes I will hook them through the back right in front of dorsal. If you do this type of hook placement, then I would suggest switching to a 6/0 J type hook like an Owner needle point. Also, when I am drifting through an area that I'm pretty sure has fish then I like to put 2 rods out much farther from the boat with no weight, and then put out 2 rods closer in with a small #3 or #4 split shot. This allows you to target the entire water column.

Something else that seems to work well for us is bump trolling using the trolling motor. If you come accross an area where there are several bait school scattered over a section of water, then nose hooking your baits and slow trolling them can get the fish to eat. I usually only do this if I've tried drifting and havn't had any takers.

And last, but not least, I like to change my baits A LOT! I will usually only leave a pogy on for 10 mins or so and then off he goes and new one takes it's place. Pogies are so delicate that they can't take being on a hook all that well. Mullet, on the other hand, I will leave on as long as they are swimming good(which can be quite a while)

Hope you get them next time!!

fishinjacket
07-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Hey guys, Thanks for all the tips. I'll be putting them to use next time I go out. Hopefully the fish will be around next time.
@kayakfred: PM sent to you.