PDA

View Full Version : What Now??

NKlamerus
07-23-2011, 01:10 PM
First Post!
So no that red snappers closed, and amberjack is for a while, ive had time to read up on some other fish catching teqniques ive wanted to use for awhile but have always been busy with snapper.

The only things left at this point for groceries is kings, amberjacks(once they open), any snapper other than red, triggers, spades, reds, and groupers as far as our little 21 foot 1989 sea ray laguna is concerned, we cant go very far, she dont float like she used too.

Anyway to me it all comes down to grouper, of any kind, im just looking for a fight at this point, after reading up ive noticed almost all baits for grouper baits round up to a grunt for the best bait, however ive also caught a 63 pounder on an octopus, anyone know what the best live bait really is and how to rig it?

And what about jigging? freestyle? maribou? what works for grouper and where? any local spots otherthan timberholes?

All responds are extremely appreciated

The new kid
Nathan

Spineyman
07-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Where are you fishing out of?

NKlamerus
07-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Live in niceville, so anywhere in choctawhatchee bay, and out of destin pass

Spineyman
07-23-2011, 04:50 PM
I was guessing you lived here somewhere, because of the timberhole mention. Gag Grouper are also closed. There are a ton of numbers out there and plenty of fish on them.

http://www.co.okaloosa.fl.us/dept_pw_resources_reefs_loran.html#top

Panhandler80
07-24-2011, 06:58 PM
what the best live bait really is and how to rig it?

Well, these days I target red grouper... sad, right? That being said, my tactics have changed a little bit. Have downsized my tackle a LOT and go with stiny bait on bottom of fuzz over live bottom.

My passion, however, is pulling big gags.

Best (or at the very least most consistent) is ALIVE.

Best live bait... I woud post it, but the name alone would have this thread pulled.

Clue number two... gags are cannnibalistic.

Slippery bass?