PDA

View Full Version : redfish and prop scars

awFSUducks
07-22-2011, 04:48 PM
anybody ever seen any reds with prop scars? i have caught two big reds recently that both appear to have been hit by propellers. one looked like the top half of its head had been cleaved off(fish looked healthy otherwise). and the other fish had five equa distanced scars on its left side. the scars each run from the top of the back down

Coolweiser
07-22-2011, 08:35 PM
No, I have never witnessed this.

Capt. Tyler Vollmer
07-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Just a sign that we can now invade their home at 35 mph looking for them.

Oviedoav
07-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Just a sign that we can now invade their home at 35 mph looking for them.
Haha, true. But nope, never have seen that before. I saw a porpoise with a chopped off dorsal fin the other day. Does that count?

Frisbee
07-22-2011, 09:52 PM
I remember when Stephanie Wolfe (man what a hottie, back in '73 when she was 16) jumped off the dock,in front of the Ski boat as it was pulling up because it was her trun next....bow hit her head and flipped her thigh up into the prop. Cool scars. She thought the boat had brakes like a car.

Capt. Tyler Vollmer
07-22-2011, 10:09 PM
Haha, true. But nope, never have seen that before. I saw a porpoise with a chopped off dorsal fin the other day. Does that count?

Seen that exact one in the titusville area. Small world.

Randysipp
07-23-2011, 05:31 AM
How do you post pictures?

Wild Life
07-23-2011, 12:56 PM
i've seen it many times over the years. I'll take a pic of one the next time and post it. Most people mistake the prop scars from something that looks like the fish barely escaped a fight with a dolphin. It causes one, two, or sometimes three cuts across the fish back. Anyway, this should be another reminder that we all need to watch where we are going........

Wild Life
07-23-2011, 12:58 PM
select "forum actions" and figure it out... that's what i did

Capt Pat
07-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Yes I have seen them and continue to see them almost everyday. All fish are subject to this when people run over them without knowing they are there. I have see Black drum and Huge trout as well with prop scars on them.

Oviedoav
07-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Seen that exact one in the titusville area. Small world.
Yea, I saw it on Thursday, just West of Haulover chasing bait. Seemed to be doing a great job, so I guess it wasn't affected to much. It also hard to find a manatee that hangs out in Haulover without prop scars on them, usually at least one with fresh ones to. I would like to see a pic of trout or Reds with one, I have never seen that before.j

ChasenTails
07-24-2011, 09:47 PM
I have also landed a couple fish that appeared to have prop scars, but figured it was from a dolphin or another large fish. Most fish seem to scatter fine at low speeds, but it would probably be tougher to duck when boats are buzzing the flats. Maybe they are more prone to be hit in the winter when the water is cold.