PDA

View Full Version : Shakedown trip - Offshore 7/16/11... Panama City

Panhandler80
07-18-2011, 09:58 AM
Not the best trip in the world. In fact, I'm not sure if I've ever put that much effort into a trip and done this poorly, but here it goes...

Have not had a boat since this past spring. Engine has been in boa for about a month now, but problem after problem has prevented us from getting her offshore. Finally got the new engine brokend in Monday night, and spent Tues, Wed, Thur evenings tinkering, getting little things back in place, etc, and then Friday we cleaned / iced / loaded boat.

Left the dock super earl and cleared the rocks in the dark. Was heading out a 225 and straight into a very light sea. At about 16 NM it started to build near a storm. Then it would ease off one notch, next storm it would increase a couple notches, then ease off a notch, then increase two notches, etc. At one point, I had to pull the fuel all the way back for a big wave. Boat went down and a solid 4 or 5" of water came over the rail and up the cabin house. Pretty sporty. By the time we got to our first spot at 24nm it was not pleasant out there. Holding up bow to is tough with a single screw and stern-to was not an option in that sea state. So, we anchored up and fished spot number 1 for about 20 minutes. Rockin' and rolling we killed the first 6 snapper that came over the rail. Also kill about a dozen real nice beeliners (not something I typically do, but given the weather, one very sick angler and two women that were less than thrilled, I just wanted to make sure we got SOMETHING in the boat before the inevitable munity took place and we had to turn her around).

While on anchor about a 2 mile cell started bearing down on us with lightling. We pulled the hook and tried to outrun it one way, only to realize that it was growing faster than we could make way. Zoomed radar out to 36 miles and watched our 2 mile cell turn into 24 miles of drizzle with us right in the middle of it.

Ran across a spot, fished it for a little bit, did okay there, 4 more snapper, two throw back legal gags, lost a legal red grouper to a shark and a couple triggers.

Figured the air was pretty stable / saturated at this point. With no more fear of lightning and the seas a little bit calmer, we decided to go ahead and try to make a real trip out of it and look for some red grouper.

Hit the throttle, boat starts to come out of the water and high water alarm goes off.

Not good.

I scampered down below and opened door to engine room. Underneath the engine and between the two stringers is about 18" of water. Holy crap! Snatched the carpet out of the cabin, opened up the engine hatch and saw that underneath the aft end of the egine there was a little bit of water (NOT 18"). Also saw that was very little water aft of the bulkehad that seperates the space below the engine and the area between the fuel tanks for shaft / running gear / hoses to aft bilge pump etc.

We figured out what happened, and turns out we were never in any real danger, but that was enough for me. We turned it around and headed for the house. By the time we hit the rocks it was settling down as all those storms had become one big wet drizzle cloud and everything became stabilized. Where we offshore it just plain sucked. Peak winds were right when we got to first spot and I'd say they were probably at about an honest 22-23mph. It was blowing crests of waves apart and there were big patches of white froth if that tells you anything.

Was the only trip I made offshore this year and it was not the best, but we did figure out a couple things that need to be changed on the boat. I think by this weekend we'll have all post engine re-install kinks worked out.

I just wish that SOME other species had opened up with snapper closed. I'm not going offshore for 2 red grouper / head.

Tally for the total of maybe 30 minutes of fishing:

- 12 (or so) beeliners. 2 were huge. Over 20"
- 10 snapper. Small to average (threw back some legal ones at spot 2 thinking we'd be able to fish more and keep some bigger ones. Still claiming to have "caught our limit." Makes me feel a little better, and technincally we did...)
- 2 triggers
- 2 throw back legal gags.
- 6 very tired, shaken, wet, frustrated anglers.

Only good news was that nobody got hurt and we were back at the dock with LOTS of time to get things cleaned, put up, etc.

Pics aren't so great. Camera, like everything else, was a bit wet! Not a catch worthy of effort and expense, but it was nice to be back at dock where we could at least lick our wounds on stable ground.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/Panhandler80/3-1.jpg?t=1310997217

These are a couple of the big beeliners. Pretty sad when your best fish of the day is a beeliner! We couldn't make any real speed running straight into those seas, so we pulled wahoo baits the whole way out (about 12 knots), but no takers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/Panhandler80/7-1.jpg?t=1310997386

Slough
07-18-2011, 10:17 AM
A captian once told me " Every trip is a good trip if you make it back safe ". Glad ya'll had no bad problems and were able to catch fish. :beer

crcattypc
07-18-2011, 10:46 AM
It was a bit rough... that is fo sho. I never get sea sick and I was queasy. I have fished with Ryan in 6-8 footers in his center console down south, and never seen him sick... I think it was a combination of the deisel, closed cabin, and excessive libations from the day/night before. Either way, we still did alright even though it was a beating. You got me worried when the alarm went off and you sprung into action. But no big deal... We will have a better day.

Ron-da-vu
07-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Imho that no catch to be ashamed of.

SAENole
07-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Big Government has forced me, one of its lowly subjects, into becoming a beeliner fisherman as I refuse to spend $4+ per gallon and not be able to come home with some dinner.

They're actually not bad at all, and I'll be enjoying some of yesterday's (painful) catch over the next few days.

Beck
07-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Good report, and not a bad catch considering the conditions and boat trouble.

Split Shot
07-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Nice catch!

Glad we canceled for the weather. I don't think it would have been as fun in a 17' Key West, I mean 23'. ;^) Almost tried again Sun and again chose otherwise. :-(

Red Fish
07-18-2011, 10:11 PM
What kind of boat were yall running?

Bonehead-GA
07-19-2011, 06:46 AM
Big Government has forced me, one of its lowly subjects, into becoming a beeliner fisherman as I refuse to spend $4+ per gallon and not be able to come home with some dinner.

They're actually not bad at all, and I'll be enjoying some of yesterday's (painful) catch over the next few days.

I'll second that!!! Totally agree.

Ron-da-vu
07-19-2011, 07:52 AM
filleted beeliners, breaded and fried = same taste as red snapper.

Panhandler80
07-19-2011, 09:15 AM
filleted beeliners, breaded and fried = same taste as red snapper.

Similar in taste. Similar. I think snapper is a bit saltier and fishier (in a good way). Beeliner has much less flavor... which I'm totally okay with.

MILES apart in texture, though. I fried up snapper and beeliners for lunch on Sunday and there was absolutely no mistaking one for the other. I remembered this being the case, but lately all we hear about is, "beeliners just as good as snapper." Presumably we're hearing more of this these days because for most of the year folks can't keep snapper. Anyway, it had been years since I ate a beeliner and I had almost bought into the hype. Dismissed the hype on Sunday at about 1:30 pm.

Not saying they were bad, but that mealy mush consistency is not my favorite. That stuff is as soggy as a steamed trout... maybe worse.

Meanwhile, the snapper filets (which were fried up the same color, same grease temp, same breading, same fry time) as the beeliners were firm and flakey with a slightly better flavor. Not saying it was as good as a 22" gag grouper, but the snapper was better.

fishsticker
07-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Not saying it was as good as a 22" gag grouper, but the snapper was better.

I hear ya!!!!!!!

diverrite
07-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Glad the boat is up and running and a safe trip.

We had a big time with the weather in Destin but caugth lots of quality snaps.

max kirkland
07-23-2011, 09:05 PM
nice!