PDA

View Full Version : Still alive....

duckmanJR
07-15-2011, 04:02 PM
My streak that is....:grin
So, today it's 10 straight trips with at least one Redfish..... Even though it was looking dicey come 8:30. My buddy stood me up this AM....Waited 30 minutes...till 6:10... still haven't heard from him but it's his loss. It was a very good Trout bite this AM while the moon was still up. Almost all the fish this morning were nice fish too with several well over 20". At ten after eight I ran to look for a Red...and as luck(bad:banghead) would have it...I saw a fish right about the time a tsunami from a passing yacht hit the spot...All done....silted up. Ran back towards Sebastian and took a chance on a spot that I have not gone to in the ten days since returning from vacation. A lucky break! Pretty clean water and bumped a Red.
Caught three more nice trout and at 9:30 finally struck gold! A nice mid slotter. Bumped another mid slot and at 10 AM picked up a short Red...all fish were on either electric chicken or limetrues.
Ten minutes later I'm off the flat and cruising 4200 RPM headed for the ramp...No, Wait....
The wind is supposed to go NE at 10-20 tomorrow ( not skiff on the beach weather) .....I decide to go look at the beach water. Cleaner than yesterday and again....at the same spot...It is game on....Mostly blues with a few bluerunners and jacks...multiple double-headers and really had a ball with my crappie/Tarpon...and now.... bluefish outfit. Was really having a ball and before I knew it.... it was noon....Time to go home.

duke6543
07-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Duckman, your reports are the only ones I trust that don't have pics for proof. Keep up the good work.

Slough
07-15-2011, 04:48 PM
:beer

DuPont
07-15-2011, 06:34 PM
very nice work duckman. You own inshore Sebastian

duckmanJR
07-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Make that eleven straight.............. Trout bite was slower and fish were smaller generally with only a few nice ones.... but alot more dinks. Switched over to looking for Reds earlier since now I'm sure that the streak can only go so far....Lost a nice flounder up shallow and had a sheepshead snagged in the face. I also had a pretty impressive Bluefish in a school of big mullet that I was sure was something great....till it jumped and there were no yellow fins. Took quite a bit of looking around but at 10 AM I finally caught a Red.... and 15 minutes later I had another eat the jig but since it was facing me the hookset pulled the jig right out of it's mouth...but two casts later in the same spot it's hooked up....The down side is that it was sharing the pothole with a trout that would look to be about 6-7 lbs and he was all excited with the Red darting around and he was looking like he wanted to take the jig away.....The trout finally caught on to what was happening and last I saw she was pushing a big wake off the flat. Landed that Red and moved on. I had one more Red eat the jig as I was getting off the flat...but again it was rushing towards me and I hever got tight for a decent hookset....was only on a few seconds and gone. I think I could have done better with some live bait since I had time to make decent presentations....just had some jacked up luck on the strike.

It was now 10:40 and plenty hot so I decided to "go to the well" one more time off the beach and while the water at the inlet was very clean...My little spot was full of floating grass. I worked south from there and when it got a little better a half mile further down...it was back into the blues and jacks. Only fished from 11 till 12 and caught 7 or 8 blues and 4 jacks......back home for lunch.

johnD
07-16-2011, 05:06 PM
Tight work Duckman !! :beer

duckmanJR
07-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Thanks guys....

It seems silly to feel "pressure" when fishing...especially since I'm basicly a C&R guy....and I go every day...It shouldn't matter and since my previous best was 4 days in a row..... I guess I'm way up on that.

Big Dago
07-17-2011, 06:04 AM
Duckman, you are good dude, my personal best is 10 trout on 10 casts, I quite at that point, did not want to ruin my streak. Keep the streak going Duckman. Always enjoy reading your reports.

guido4198
07-17-2011, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the report. Good stuff to know.
Not sure where to launch the yak this morning, but I'm going somewhere..!!

duckmanJR
07-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Ok, ...Got out and today the wind was 180 degrees from yesterday and was whistling along pretty good pre dawn. That either moved the bait I was fishing or had them not showing. Regardless, the wind wasn't right for the spot so I kept moving. I decided to hit a hard edge and as I moved along in the brightening daybreak I could see someone up in the shallow where I wanted to go (wind protected) stayed well outside of that guy along the edge and there was some bait on it.
The up side is that I picked off a little trout and half way down the edge I hooked up....I knew what it was by the fight and played it really gentle and was able to land a nice 24" Red....Whew!! It's now 6:20 and I'm feeling alot better about the day. I didn't want to drift down on the other guy so I moved out. I left there and went to a spot that went cold a while back just to see. There was some bait and I caught three low slot trout but lost the nice fat slob she-trout 15 feet from the boat.....She was popping her mouth like some teenage girl snapping gum and eventually got free from the jig. Left there and headed towards yesterdays spots and picked off a ladyfish, a pinfish, and two more low slot trout. Readjusted for what was now a howling breeze and made one more drift....saw a nice Red track the jig for 5 or 10 feet only to turn off. The cloud cover and wind made it a short drift and I was done at 9:30. I know the end is coming....but not today!

craw_daddy
07-18-2011, 09:55 AM
got me on the edge of my chair with the streak.. :Popcorn

thanks for the great posts!

:thumbsup:thumbsup

duckmanJR
07-18-2011, 11:07 AM
got me on the edge of my chair with the streak.. :Popcorn

thanks for the great posts!

:thumbsup:thumbsup

Well, You'll have to keep reading....we're still alive baby!

duckmanJR
07-18-2011, 11:40 AM
OK...This morning I'm on the computer at 5:15 when the wife walks in the den and says " You're still here? You're not going fishing today?....You worried about the tropical storm?"....

Wait..What?...... So, that spin I saw on the weather channel yesterday is a storm huh.....
Tell the wife..."Nope I'm going" Get down to Hess and grab my coffee and talk to a local guide (Gus B) about what's been going on fishing wise. He's got some guys who want Reds so I help with what I know....not that much really....dirty water....scattered fish.
I see plenty of cloud cover and the wind is breezy....get a pail full of water in the face from a wave as I run to my first spot....Ugh! Not a great starter...... but not the only time I'd be getting wet today!
I set up my drift to use as much wind as possible since I didn't charge the troller batteries yesterday. Right at the very end of my first drift I get a tap and come tight....a real nice 24" Trout. I didn't see much bait so rather than a repeat drift I moved on. Next spot the water is dirty ....Really dirty....but wind protected... a handfull of casts yields a small trout and...a whiting...... Off to my next spot and make two drifts to get it covered and had 4 and 2 more slot trout respectively. I had two fish pull off that may have been my quarry but I didn't get a look at them. Set up for one more long wind pushed drift and I had recently looked at my watch...20 minutes till 9...NOT GOOD! I'm already working up my excuse for breaking the streak...a good one I figure...Dang tropical storm! I reach the edge of a little trough and a light tap...BINGO!!! a little 16" Red!....8:48 AM.... Hey, We're still alive! I finished the rest of the drift and it got better...a whole lot better....I pulled a nice 24" and a 25 1/2" Red by 9:30....Three in 42 minutes.
Have a half hour left and go back to the dirty water shoreline to get out of the wind....Catch one Bluefish....and there it is....Thirteen.

Ryanc
07-18-2011, 04:32 PM
haha nice work again!

duckmanJR
07-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Still hangin' in and now at 14 straight.... It's looking better for Dupont to be on the boat while I try for 16...I just have to get past tomorrow.

I had a good amount of nice size trout today.....over a dz...and no dinks. It took me till almost 8AM and the Red was small...maybe 16 inches...but i'm glad to get him because I lost both of the two nice ones I sighted up on gulp crabs....a knot failure first... then one just come unbuttoned.

duckmanJR
07-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Ok, I didn't post yesterday because I didn't want to jinx myself with my trip with forum member Dupont today....

I did get day 15 in a row yesterday with some nice trout early but not wanting to go to one of my better spots and saving it for thursday I opted to stay in the one general area and make it pay off. I won't say I wasn't worried because I quit on the trout at 7:45 and it was now getting close to 10 AM and only saw one fish....it was pretty warm and my first good shot had a nice Red eat a chunk of ladyfish...unfortunately, it came unbuttoned.
It didn't take too long before I saw a cruiser and pitched to a pothole in the direction he was headed...get the pick up and I'm hooked up....but it was a little 16 incher! Never saw that fish in the pothole...but, I was happy to have the streak alive and I continued along and made a good presentation to a better fish and was able to get a 23" to the boat.

Today I met Adam (Dupont) at the ramp at 5:40...a good sign that he was there on time... 'cause if you're late....you may only get to watch me leave! After brief introductions I splash the skiff and we are headed out into the graying dawn. I took a look at my trout spot but the bait was not really there so I moved to another location.....I wish I could say it was the sweet spot.....but other than both of us losing a real nice trout....we only caught a couple small ones and a couple slots. Next spot is a little better...Adam hooks up a nice 24" Red. We caught a few more trout...nothing great and eventually I got a small Red to keep the streak alive at 16 straight and Adam also got a small Red too. We left there for my "honey hole" but while the bait was thick...I managed one decent trout and saw one Red but it was kinda quiet. Next spot, as we shut down I bump a nice Red :banghead and we do get on a solid trout bite....I'm getting bit alot....but am only landing about 25% or less....Adam is having a little more trouble getting any bites at all but I give him my magic color and he gets a fish within a few casts. Not long after, I see a nice Red moving off and make a great shot with the jig and BINGO!...Hooked-up! It's the twin to Adams earlier fish at 24" It's now 11 and pretty warm...one last spot before the ramp. Make a final drift and we each get one more Red.... Final tally was 6 Reds (3 each) and a fair amount of trout.....The only downer was us both coming up empty on the Fat she-trout.....but I think the visual of my trout coming out of the water shaking her head will be with Adam a while...
Anyway, Adam is a really nice young man and a pleasure to share the skiff with...... Till next time Adam.

DuPont
07-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Thanks again for an unforgettable day on the flats! Sick bite and who knew the DOA shrimp “magic color” would trigger the bite.

P.S.
"I see a nice Red moving off and make a great shot with the jig and BINGO!...Hooked-up! It's the twin to Adams earlier fish at 24" "
The cast made to the Red while she was moving off the flat was called...... and nailed:applause. Very cool to see within 10 yards!

Thread with pic to follow.

duckmanJR
07-22-2011, 12:08 AM
It was my pleasure Adam. If you had not said anything about this being a newly developed hobby...Nobody would ever know.....You handled your gear like an old hand and you owned any fish that bit. Hopefully, you picked up a tip or two....

And not to worry Adam....plenty of Reds are seen moving off and the cast is totally buggered up....but it does make the ones that go perfectly that much sweeter!

duckmanJR
07-22-2011, 12:02 PM
I took my brother out today. Was kinda not really concentrating on the Redfish streak thing and hit a trout spot that I showed DuPont yesterday but we didn't fish it because bait wasn't there....Today it was there and we picked up several near top slot Trout and I also got a nice 3-4 lb Flounder for a dinner. Moved to a new spot and caught all manner of junk...ladyfish,catfish,pinfish....Left that and went to what was the spot I had hoped would be good to Adam and I only to disappoint us yesterday.....but today I wound up hooking up a Red briefly,but didn't get a good hookset....Kept throwing and finally hooked a nice 24" fish. Wind had died and it was hot so I did like yesterday and took a short boat ride to cool off some...stopped at the spot Adam and I had trout yesterday and caught a few more trout....Heat was brutal so we took a ride to the inlet and up the beach a little...nothing going on...not even any bait around.... Came back and made a final drift and I picked up a 17" Red.....Had a storm cloud with some electricity to the south of us so we headed in......

DuPont
07-22-2011, 10:35 PM
and it continues!

duckmanJR
07-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Still in the game...but by the skin of my teeth. The bite was slower today but the first 4 Trout were all very nice fish. I had to move after some guy came roaring into the area and shut the bite down....Too bad, the fish were really nice size. At the next spot I made a down wind drift and picked up two more nice trout and at 7:38 put a 18" Red in the boat. Felt a little relief with that out of the way.
From here though, It all kinda went downhill. next time I looked at my watch it was 9:10 and gettin' pretty hot out... and all I had in the past hour and a half was one nice trout that came unbuttoned half way in and didn't see any Reds . I hit my next spot and caught 5 or 6 little 10 inch trout.....but not long after that hooked up a nice Red....Get it to within 15 feet and the jig pulls loose...:banghead Decide to make another swing thru the area and in about the same spot hook up a heavy fish....a short run and POP!.... A leader knot failure! Try one more spot but the wind is up and the water is wrecked...caught one more nice trout out of a pothole and it was now 11:15 and the heat was making me think I should just walk away...so I did.

I know this will end soon....while hitting 333 would be OK in baseball...it's only a matter of time before a tuff bite combines with a few bad luck situations like today and it will be a strike out.......but for now....It's 18 and counting.

duckmanJR
07-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Got out a little earlier than normal ( 5:30)...Found a big school of mullet and started throwing. I had one big trout come half way out of the water and shook loose. As It got grey I started picking up some nice trout. I could see weather was going to figure into the day early on.....Big storms SE of me. I never got on a really hot bite...just picking off a trout here and there...a few dinks, but mostly nice fish. By 7:30 the rain was up my A-- so I made a move to let it slide past to the SW of me and try a spot I haven't been at in a few days. I stayed out of the worst of it and caught a few more small trout...but the up side was a big fat Flounder! A real solid fish. As the weather passed I moved again but nothing at the next spot. Ran to my money spot and at 9:07... a 17 inch Red...5 minutes later... another. So, it's now 19 straight and counting.
I made another pass and briefly saw a nice Red moving off...but no luck on that one. Had one big hit and it charged at the boat so I never got a good hookset...and a big momma trout shook off right next to the boat... Two in one day is aweful. Finished the drift and got another little 17" Red..... 10:30 and with the humidity I just couldn't hardly breath so I headed in.

I may just let the streak die right here.....My oldest daughter and the grandkids are coming today and we may go to Lion Country safari tomorrow...we'll see what the plans are.

duckmanJR
07-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Day twenty...... Things started very badly and I was discouraged. First thing was I forgot to charge the trolling motor batteries. Next, was my daughter in trying to keep my year and a half old granddaughter from breaking my RX sunglasses...put them on top of the fridge....and I (who always keeps them in my fishing hat) forgot them. I really need them most days to see well enough to fish and keep me from getting a head splitter headache. Anyway, I know I have to be done by 9 so no real big deal. Then, as I get to my fisrt spot...I have a "brain cloud" and inadvertantly run my skiff up on the little point I want to fish...scattering the bait...and any predators I'm sure.
Move around and there are acres of bait...but after an hour of only one hit...I move on...very weird. I get into my next spot and catch a big ladyfish and think to myself...a ladyfish to keep the skunk off...not good! Luckily, I stay with it and even though the water is dirty (filthy actually) and smells not so good....At 7:32 I manage to boat a 23" Red on a lime color jig/plastic....keep at it and at 8:25 put a 24 1/2" Red in the boat... Find one pothole with a few trout in it and capitilize on it. Quit at 9 AM with 8 trout ( 4 real nice/4 little) two Reds and two ladyfish....

Capt. Kevin Brotz
07-25-2011, 02:53 PM
U da Man!! Keep it Goin!!

DuPont
07-25-2011, 08:35 PM
You are becoming the pitcher tossing a no no in the 7th… keep it up my friend.

Laidback
07-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Best thread ever! Keep it up!

duckmanJR
07-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Ok, Here goes. I get to my first spot and tere is some bait but not like yesterday. Tide is high and I can't see the spot I want to fish so I move on. Next spot has some bait and I get a small trout. Move a few hundred yards and find where most of the bait went....hook up a very respectabl 24" Trout. Stay with the bait but nothing else happening. It was almost 8 before I gave up on that. Ran to a good flood tide spot and saw a 20-22"Red up shallow....made the worlds worst cast and spooked it. Went to where I had my fish yesterday and the water was even dirtier and smellier! Saw something sad too....what looked to be a 5 lb trout floating dead. Fished the whole area and nothing doing but a small trout and a few ladyfish. Jockey around some and find a few nice trout on an edge. It's just a tuff slow pick.
Well, It's now after 10 and wouldn't have given ten cents for my chances at keeping the streak alive. Work down to my trout hole but someone motors in before I get there....I stay outside and hit a few potholes and feel a good thump.....Set the hook and it streaks under the boat....couldn't see what it was...but was hopefull for a Red...fight it gently....and get a fat she-trout of about 6 lbs or so to the boat. Pretty happy to land it since with the pinched barbs and jumping fish. I've lost a few recently. I decide to make another pass thru the area so I run the long way around so as to not disturb any fish. This drift I get a another nice 22" trout from a pothole ...and at 11:12....I hook up a nice Red..... I fought it very carefully since I could see the jig was in the lip but I was able to get her in...a nice 25" fish....and the jig fell out as soon as I placed the fish in the boat. A quick revive and off it swam. So, I had two very nice fish inside of 40 minutes. I guess It just shows it's never over till you put it on the trailer! I finished the drift off the flat and caught one more nice trout out of a pothole and at 11:30 called it quits.

Three weeks straight of a Redfish every day....and NOBODY is more surprized than the guy who's previous best was 4 in a row..... I would put this in the " Not in my Wildest dreams" category really. The fishery is strong...but daily conditions and some element of luck always come into play for success.

I'm seriously thinking of sticking a knife in this myself....This way it's all been on my terms instead of taking a loss.
Like Rocky Marciano retireing from boxing as a champion....I have my brother with me tomorrow and rather than put him thru my madness we can go offshore or Tarpon fishing or anything really....

duke6543
07-26-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm already looking forward to your report with your brother tomorrow. Put him on some fish then call the last hour yours and go find that red and keep this thing going. Even if he puts a red in the boat I would still call it a success.

Great job....

duckmanJR
07-26-2011, 04:06 PM
keep this thing going. Even if he puts a red in the boat I would still call it a success.

Great job....

Funny you should say that...When I took DuPont (Adam) fishing with me last thursday (day 16) I asked him jokingly that did it count towards the streak if HE caught a Red...He said he thought it should count.... And he did catch the first of the day. Luckily we had three Reds each that day.

I guess if I don't keep at it...I won't know what the real number is....

angler18
07-26-2011, 06:47 PM
sounds like you have been doing pretty good once again Joe, but where is the slam? almost 2 weeks of reds evryday is great, but when i started reading i thought it would be 10 days of slams boated. great job, keep it up!

DuPont
07-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Keep it going!! “Slams” are sweet but owning a sent feeding fish on artificial lures for 20 + days is something to boast about imo! Good luck tm!!

duke6543
07-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Funny you should say that...When I took DuPont (Adam) fishing with me last thursday (day 16) I asked him jokingly that did it count towards the streak if HE caught a Red...He said he thought it should count.... And he did catch the first of the day. Luckily we had three Reds each that day.

I guess if I don't keep at it...I won't know what the real number is....

My thought has always been, when you take someone fishing on "your" boat, it is acceptable to share part of the success. When you return from a trip someone may ask how did you do, and the answer is always "we caught".............

Keep it going as long as you can. It is hard to a beat a personal best record. I would bet that there is not many if any that can say they have done the same. Heck, think of the hours you have put in learning that fishery.

duckmanJR
07-27-2011, 01:55 PM
think of the hours you have put in learning that fishery.

I shudder to think.....

duke6543
07-27-2011, 02:03 PM
OK, lets here the report.

duckmanJR
07-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Ok, Here is todays report.
My brother called me last night and canceled.....Old people are all about ailments! LOL.
Hit the ramp about 5:30 and was pleasantly surprized at no big crowd. I'm guessing that the bad beach vis and marginal weather kept alot of people away from this area...the snorkel crowd anyway. I could see some heavy weather to the south so I was sure that I wasn't going that way till I could gert a handle on the weather and which way it was moving.
Decide on a different starting spot since my close in spot has not had much the last few days. This was a great stroke of luck because at
6:12 AM I had my first fish...a nice 23" RED!!! Whew! That really takes the pressure off. I fish the area but only get 4 small trout so I'm on the move. I'm watching this storm closely and it has a lot of electricity. I stay in short striking distance of the ramp because it is moving towards me. catch a few more small trout and by 7:30 the storm has pretty much broken up so I move. Next spot is a blank....water is super dirty. I run to the opposite side of the river and make a down wind drift picking up a croaker and several more trout but only 3 or 4 are even in the slot. I run to my next spot and make a downwind pass ( the outflow boundary from the storm has the wind up to high to fight) and pick up another Red...a little 17 incher. I bounce around in the area and get a few ladyfish and trout which will figure into the rest of the day. So, I'm still in it at day 22.....

OK....
It's now 10:30 so I run back to the ramp and while the adults and the two youngest granddaughters ( 1 1/2 YO ) are at the splash pad I pick up my grandsons...they are both 12. I give boat driving lessons and then some fishing lessons. We catch trout and a bunch of ladyfish and a couple catfish.....they were having a big time. Some boatriding then back to the ramp a little after twelve and some Burger king lunch....
A good day.

duke6543
07-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Congratulations, the streak is still alive. Taking the grandkids out has to be good karma for tomorrow. Who knows how long this may go on.

DuPont
07-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Nice report. Two very luck grandsons! Receiving life earned tips at age 12 is pretty sweet; I can only imagine. keep slaying the reds...

DuPont
07-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Nice report. Two very luck grandsons! Receiving life earned tips at age 12 is pretty sweet; I can only imagine. keep slaying the reds...

redsnducks
07-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Good going Joe - water is brown and nasty in my area! for some reason my username/password got wiped out and now this should represent my 1st post. I sure hope this is not going to be a concept that you take over to the UWF forum and post 30+days of duck hunts with a mottled per day! I could do something similar to this, but it would be the number of consecutive days that I have worked!

Enjoy the fishing, have not had many cracks at the big boy reds in the B. River up in Satellite Bch yet this year. Did have an awesome top water bite off PAFB on trout a few weeks ago when I got out on the water with a bunch of trout over 15 and 2 over 20.

Jim aka ducktales

duckmanJR
07-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Good going Joe - water is brown and nasty in my area! for some reason my username/password got wiped out and now this should represent my 1st post. I sure hope this is not going to be a concept that you take over to the UWF forum and post 30+days of duck hunts with a mottled per day! I could do something similar to this, but it would be the number of consecutive days that I have worked!

Enjoy the fishing, have not had many cracks at the big boy reds in the B. River up in Satellite Bch yet this year. Did have an awesome top water bite off PAFB on trout a few weeks ago when I got out on the water with a bunch of trout over 15 and 2 over 20.

Jim aka ducktales

Too funny Jim! And I wouldn't do the mottled thing...Duckbone would say " see, I told you there are plenty of them...we need to go to a two a day limit"
Yesterday I was discussing my Redfish "streak" with my S-I-L..... My wife rolls her eyes and breaks in with " That's nothing, ask him how many consecutive WEEKS he went without mowing the lawn"

duckmanJR
07-28-2011, 02:00 PM
I can't hardly believe it but I'm still hanging on....day 23!

Today was weird. First thing, I find a dollar bill outside Hess. I'm thinking " Cool, free coffee this morning"...this thought will come back to bite me later. I get my coffee and some Gas and hit the ramp...HMMMM, Day two of mini season and the ramp is deserted? Head out and look around some and settle on a spot.....Start my approach when a local guy comes roaring into the area....I'm kinda PO'ed because I know the guy...and this guy should know better...and I've never done him like that....Whatever, Catch two small trout and decide to leave. As I start pulling away I grab my coffee mug and it slips out of my hand and knocks the cover off and I spill almost all of my coffee! Dang it!!! Well, I guess I didn't lose much since I bought it with a found dollar. My Next spot is where I should have gone first....It's loaded with bait and I catch a half dz trout but nothing very good size but at 7:28...a 17" Red...then at 7:38 another identical size Red....I get a few more trout also but still nothing over 16 inches. I did see a very cool double rainbow and the good part was the rainstorm had moved past so I could head to my next spot. I make a pass but don't get anything. Try a different angle thru and while I see a nice fish...no good getting him to eat. I keep looking but eventually at 10 AM I run back to the spot I had the two small fish. I bump one off an edge and make a bad presentation to a really nice (over slot) fish....but I finally get a good shot at one and its game on!....
No monster...an exactly mid slot ( 22 1/2" ) fish. Finish out the rest of the drift and right as I was ready to quit.... I saw one more but the wind which was up pretty good now grabbed the cast and I bonked the fish on the head. And that's it..... No nice trout today and the three Reds were not giants....but it was fun just the same.

duke6543
07-28-2011, 02:16 PM
A good friend of mine would say "Man, You Must Be Livin' Right".

angler18
07-28-2011, 08:18 PM
amazing Joe, keep it going!

duckmanJR
07-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Ok.... pay for my coffee today with my own doller . Nobody blows in on me first thing. I make the smart play and head to a spot that will have me on a good drift without fighting wind. Plenty of bait in the spot. Wow, seems as though things are lining up right today.
First fish is a nice trout...not a monster but a nice top slot one. Next up is the hook up I needed...at 6:32 I boat a Red just shy of 25"..... That makes it 24 days in a row. A few casts later my phone rings. It's my buddy "Jigs" Newman and he asks " where are you? "
I told him " It doesn't matter...can you get out?" He says..." I'll be at the ramp in 10 minutes" I make a couple casts and go pick him up.
We head right back and he puts a beat down on me catching several trout to my one...I should have had more but I couldn't get them any closer than about 10 feet from the boat before they would unbutton....like 4 or 5 in a row! One more pass but it is done...The fish have moved on so.... so do we. Next spot Jeff gets another decent trout and I loose another trout half way in. Then, Jeff gets a small Red and I finally get a lower slot Red (19") It's 10 minutes till 9 and Jeff needs to go. I bring him back and head back out. My inner voice tells me to go look at my Redfish hole. It's been full of dirty stinky water the last couple days...but nothing is static in the river and I get there and the water is cleaner with no stink. About 10 casts in I'm hooked up to a nice upper slot Red but it comes off after fighting it to the boat. a few casts later I'm on again but this 24" Red comes aboard for a fast measure and back he goes. Have another follow the jig a couple casts later and as I make the edge of a trough I'm hooked up to a lower slot fish...winds up being 19 1/2" but with 11 spots...10 on one side and the regular one spot on the other side. Get the the far side of the trough and see a fish cruising away...first shot is too long but the secong try I'm on the perfect intercept and we're off to the races again! A nice fish that was a tick over 25". Head to one more spot for a look but the bite is done. A good day for me on the Redfish with all slots and 5 of 6 landed...the trout game was not nearly as good for me with only two fish in hand and about 7 lost.... Not as oppresively hot today as yesterday but hit the ramp at 11.

duke6543
07-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Once again, keep it up. I will check back next week for a progress report.

duckmanJR
07-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Once again, keep it up. I will check back next week for a progress report.

Not to be a pessimist...(my normal state of being) ...but I have doubts you will read much more than a sad end. Even Hank Aaron and the "Bambino" ran out of home runs at some point. No tears though...a previous best of 4 is way back in my rear view mirror.

duke6543
07-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Records are meant to be broke, so set the bar as high as you can, and challenge anyone to try.

Side note: All others must post pics. Mr. DuckmanJR is the only one exempt.

ironeyes
07-30-2011, 12:34 PM
Duke, Duckman mustnt remain exempt forever as I have it on good info he is getting a phone with a CAMERA!!!!!! (Oh the Heresy!)

duckmanJR
07-30-2011, 01:03 PM
Duke, Duckman mustnt remain exempt forever as I have it on good info he is getting a phone with a CAMERA!!!!!! (Oh the Heresy!)

All charged up....I guess I better activate it so I can give my little granddaughter her phone back...LOL!

And what makes you think I'll be able to move pictures from my phone to a computer...If it wasn't for your mother I still would have never figured the whole camera to computer thing out.

duckmanJR
07-30-2011, 01:30 PM
Ok...It's now 25 straight. The thing about today that still is stuck in my mind is just how bad the mosquitos where...then, when they had eaten their fill...how bad the no-see-ums where...It was beyond tortureous.....
I get out to my spot early since I figured (wrongly) that there would be boats out early on a late July Saterday morning. Very little wind so I had to make a long slow approach. I start out throwing an electric chicken 3" tail and jig. As I get almost up to the now forming up bait schools I get a nice trout. I'm totally distracted though because I'm being eaten alive. Miss one good hit and decide to make a slight move to take advantage of the current. It was a good move and I land another nice trout and then at 7:02 I have the first Red...a 19.5" fish.
I'm at the end of my spot and watch three fellows in a little Pathfinder come roaring in....Right over the spot I wanted to fish...so I make another pass around the bait and pull one more nice trout...and a catfish. It's been over a half hour so I mosey on over to the spot because I could see the bait had formed back up after being scattered by the boat coming in over them. I'm now throwing limetruse in the very dirty water and at 8:24 put a nice 24.5" Red in the boat....Right where they had run thru. A few casts later it's another nice size trout...which I'm happy about since there have not been as many of these as there have been little ones for me lately. I turn and follow an edge that has bait along it and at 8:36 put an 18 inch Red in the boat. About three casts later I add more color with a bluefish and a pinfish completeing a nice "trash can slam" at just before 9AM. I debate circleing around and fishing the other half of the edge I was on but opt to run and cool off some instead. I hit one shallow spot and again misjudge the cast and blow out a pair of tailers. It's only been about 15 minutes there but I decide to run again to get cooled off...It's about 9:30 and I'm really feeling the heat... Run to a place I haven't been in a while but I no sooner do I get started and a big wake from a passing boat murks up the shoreline. I continue down to Vero looking at several of my spots but the water is really wrecked....the air is hot and stagnant...and I'm done! Back to the ramp before 11...funny how three boats were going in and I was the only one coming out.

DuPont
07-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Very solid day on the water my friend.

sharkatak1089
07-31-2011, 12:00 PM
...If it wasn't for your mother I still would have never figured the whole camera to computer thing out.

OH MY GOD, I cannot wait to hear this one...

duckmanJR
07-31-2011, 12:38 PM
OH MY GOD, I cannot wait to hear this one...

I am highly "technology challenged"..... Every time I want to put a photo in my photobucket account....it is like 50 first dates! I think I may be close to a breakthru on her camera to the computer to photobucket to the internet....

I just got a new phone after having my first cell phone ever for 5 years...It was so old (Motorola I-670) that my son had to move my number to his spare hybrid phone in order to merge our accounts. This phone has a camera....but the whole getting it to my photobucket account thing may be a long process. My wife got a "smart" phone...but I just got a phone..I don't want a machine in my pocket that's smarter than I am...

sharkatak1089
07-31-2011, 12:46 PM
oh...i thought that part about his mom and cameras and computers was going somewhere completely different.

annnnyyway.

I have a samsung rugby II. best phone i've ever had, its indestructable. its been submerged multiple times, the longest time being probably around 5 minutes

duckmanJR
07-31-2011, 12:58 PM
Ok, Today was a really good day! It was my first trip in over a month with my son. We met at the ramp at 5:45 and soon were on our way to spot #1...Everything was really clickin'!....On my third cast I'm on and put a 23.5" Red in the boat and it's only 6:15....SWEET! We fished thru the area and the bite was surprizingly steady on trout and Reds....and at 7:05 my son puts a nice Snook in the boat and he's got a slam. This is the first flats snook in a long while on the boat.
We kept in the area and about the time I hook up a big fat she-trout the pod of porpoises show up and are waiting.... I tell mt son "Sorry...but I can't let her go here or she's toast!"....I run the skiff towards the really skinny and as we get to the edge a big fish moves off...My son fires the jig long and it gets smacked! It's a real pig but the fish goes airborn and shakes off...dang! Catch several more trout and as we're ending up our float...I nail a flounder. I ask my son if he'd like it for him and my D-I -L's dinner....In the well it goes! Make a run to spot #2 and it's slow till I get to a little swash channel and then its on. We caught numerous trout, ladyfish and a few Reds too with ANOTHER bonus flounder. It was after 9 and sticky / hot... so we took a big boat ride up to the area above the inlet and around Long point and on to Grant for a cool down. The water was dirty there too but my son got two more nice trout off a mullet school.
We ended up with 4 Reds each and really have no solid count on trout...well in excess of 20 with one about 5 lbs...and...2 nice flounder for my son to take home and a Snook..... This was a much more solid bite than just a couple days back.

If the weather holds this evening... DuPont and I will go try our hand at " Silver Kings".

sharkatak1089
08-01-2011, 12:41 AM
I've decided that you fish too much, duck. I swear...I bet you could tow the skiff down there, drop her in, and take care of all the other stuff dealing with that blindfolded, backwards...couldn't you?

duckmanJR
08-01-2011, 11:31 AM
I've decided that you fish too much, duck. I swear...I bet you could tow the skiff down there, drop her in, and take care of all the other stuff dealing with that blindfolded, backwards...couldn't you?

NEVER TOO MUCH!! .....I paid my dues and put in my time "workin' for the man"....Kids got college and weddings and all of that....wife's been fartin' thru silk since day one..... Now, it's just my turn!

redsnducks
08-01-2011, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=duckmanJR;97511]We kept in the area and about the time I hook up a big fat she-trout the pod of porpoises show up and are waiting.... I tell mt son "Sorry...but I can't let her go here or she's toast!"....I run the skiff towards the really skinny and as we get to the edge a big fish moves off...My son fires the jig long and it gets smacked! It's a real pig but the fish goes airborn and shakes off...dang! Catch several more trout and as we're ending up our float...I nail a flounder.

Glad to see another great day and Report! I FINALLY managed to break loose from obligations and get out on Saturday morning for a few hrs and caught 2 upper slot reds, one oversize and lost another over-slot fish in B. River. Porpoises were a reall hassle for me all morning, they basically were shadowing and waiting (first fish I had to motor away to release, 2nd fish was in the cooler). My 3rd fish was a 32" red and I thought it would be big enough that porpoises would leave it alone. I was wrong and spent 10 minutes chasing the porpoise around the flat with my electric motor and trying to keep them off the red. One of the smaller porpoises had it and was flipping it around - practically had to beat them off with my push pole. You guys seem to be doing really well on flounder in the river this year. Would like to get the boat down there one weekend to see if I could find one or two.

duckmanJR
08-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Today I started where I started yesterday...but the wind was different and the bait was less... The first fish was a little trout and after losing two fish that might have been what I was looking for... I caught a jack then several more trout but they were nothing much size wise. Decided to take another pass and wound up catching two small snook about 18-20 inches right where my son caught one yesterday. I caught a few more trout also. I was worried I may have stayed around too long since it was now 8 AM and things were slowing down...went to my second spot and it looked quiet but I did briefly see a nice Red push off ahead of me. Got into the swash channel that had the fish yesterday and picked up a couple trout and ladyfish and at 9:07...a little 17" Red to keep it going at day 27. Circled around and picked up one more trout and as I got to the shoal edge of the swash I get a good thump....A hard fight and a 23.5 " Red is in the boat at 9:47.
Turn and run down wind to one last place but when I get there it is empty...not even baitfish...quit at 10:00 and on the trailer at 10:20.

duckmanJR
08-01-2011, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=redsnducks;99276 Glad to see another great day and Report! I FINALLY managed to break loose from obligations and get out on Saturday morning for a few hrs and caught 2 upper slot reds, one oversize and lost another over-slot fish in B. River. Porpoises were a reall hassle for me all morning, they basically were shadowing and waiting (first fish I had to motor away to release, 2nd fish was in the cooler). My 3rd fish was a 32" red and I thought it would be big enough that porpoises would leave it alone. I was wrong and spent 10 minutes chasing the porpoise around the flat with my electric motor and trying to keep them off the red. One of the smaller porpoises had it and was flipping it around - practically had to beat them off with my push pole. You guys seem to be doing really well on flounder in the river this year. Would like to get the boat down there one weekend to see if I could find one or two.[/QUOTE]

Glad you got out Jim...why don't you and Lenny come down ...can't guarantee any flounder...but you never know...some days like yesterday you get a couple nice ones....

PS...save some time...Early teal is only seven weeks away!

sharkatak1089
08-01-2011, 09:20 PM
yep, you's be fishing too much. nice work capt.

duckmanJR
08-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Day 28.....still there! When I got outside this AM it was already 77 degrees with 94% humidity and I knew it would be uncomfortable early on. I went back to where I've been starting the past few mornings....I don't normally like to do that but the wind/bait/ tide situation was right so I did. Today, the bigger trout were back. I was worried I slid in too far and too fast.... but when things settled and I was in position the bait was formed back up and I was in the spot. It's mostly just good luck if you set down on the nice fish in an area and I did capitalize well. I caught 6 top slot or slightly over trout in pretty rapid succession with two of them on back to back casts. As I worked along the bite stopped...then I got back into fish but this was a school of smaller fish...14-16 inchers but I caught 5 more of those again pretty quickly. It was now 7:25 and warming quickly so I ran to my Redfish spot.....Found clean water so I changed colors but no luck and as I got to the swash channel the water went to junk so I switched back to limetruese...a good move. From 7:55 till 8:25 I caught 5 Reds....what I will call "streak savers" since they were nothing special...all 16-19 inches but I did get a nice fat black drum of about 4 lbs or so and had two more better than average trout..... I considered my options but It was 8:45 and really getting warm as I got off the shallow end of the flat and headed to the ramp.....Didn't do any chores yesterday plus had to get my truck looked at ( a recall....airbag inflating for no apparent reason as you ride down the road sounds like it could be pretty dangerous)

duke6543
08-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Sounds like if the same weather conditions stay consistant, this could go on for a long time. You have definitely found the areas they like.

I just heard this weekends weather might stay over 100 miles off shore. Good thing for me, I'm on track to fish up by Ponce (inshore) Saturday evening.

DuPont
08-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Duckman and I went out looking for some tarpon Sunday night. We arrive at the first spot and saw tarpon rolling within 5 min. We were tossing plastic only (love the challenge) but could not draw a bite. We did see some VERY suspect characters 3 deep in a canoe with one fishing rod who landed and went ashore in a very remote area. On to the next spot…. no tarpon move on. Third spot; more tarpon rolling and duck gets a very solid hit but no hookup. A few min later a huge (would have been a challenge on my gear) fish rolls within 5 feet of me. It is now dark and the inshore tarpon has avoided us tonight. Back to the ramp… run into the same three shady characters from before who are now disassembling their canoe (it has a 15hp motor on the back) so they can walk it ashore!! We load up and go home. No fish but a great evening on the water and a few lessons learned. Thanks Joe. I am looking forward to some reds and trout on the flat when I get back in town. Keep the streak going

duckmanJR
08-02-2011, 11:49 PM
Yeah, Very scetchy characters indeed! That meth girl with them at the ramp was scary looking too....but looked like she came from the same trailer park....Never thought much about it but next time I may have to be wearing a "little heat"...

Next time we go up there we'll "go over to the dark side" and bring some mullys....

Let me know when you're back and we'll go catch easier fish LOL!!

duckmanJR
08-03-2011, 12:03 PM
It was pretty windy this morning out of the west so I immediately thought about finding a little wind shadow. I got lucky today.... my very first fish kept the streak alive (29) ...even though it was a "small"...it was a Red. That made everything else easy since the pressure was instantly off at 6:15. I finished working down thru the bait that had formed along the drop off and had 4 trout to add but they were no mogans...all bottom slot fish. At 7AM I ran back to where I had some fish yesterday and at first it was totally dead but it improved slightly to a slow pick...at best. I felt confident I could get something going since the bait was still in the area but it was a couple trout...then another small Red then a few more trout...then another small Red. It just seemed hard to really get on them...or they were well spread out. Decided to make a long circle around and come back down wind and that was a good move. I stayed in the middle of the swash channel working BOTH edges and now got into some much better trout...all 18-20 inchers and got one really nice...maybe 23-24 inches. I had moved a little off what I thought was the "good" spot but I bumped off a nice fish and within a few minutes I saw a nice Red chase my jig up out of a pothole along the edge of the drop off....Good solid hook set and made pretty short work of a 25" Red. It was now straight up 10 AM and I wanted to look at one more place so I fished my way out and picked up one more respectable trout. The run sure felt good! Got up wind and drifted into my spot and the first cast I dropped the jig in a pothole and nailed a flounder...it was a "legal" fish but I tossed it back to get some more meat on its bones. Caught a trout next and then a big thump...but by the strong throbing pull I knew it was a jack...but a good sized one. Here's where it gets interesting.....I'm fighting it in and all of a sudden...the "man in the grey suit" shows up...and no little fella either! It sure threw that jacks butt into hyperdrive! did a quick leader grab and swing and ol' teeth was right behind him.... Went up shallow for the release to give him a sporting chance at life. It was now 11 so I called it a day....

duke6543
08-03-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm fighting it in and all of a sudden...the "man in the grey suit" shows up...and no little fella either! It sure threw that jacks butt into hyperdrive! did a quick leader grab and swing and ol' teeth was right behind him.... Went up shallow for the release to give him a sporting chance at life. It was now 11 so I called it a day....

There you go creating good karma for yourself. You will definately score number 30 tomorrow. Keep it up.

davederb
08-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Sounds like another successful day keeping the streak alive. Well done. Looking forward to reading tomorrows report.

duckmanJR
08-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Just got home...day 30 in the books. I started in the same spot now five days in a row but today the bait was less plentiful. It was all trout with an even split of half a dz little sub slots and half a dz mid slot trout. As I worked out of the area at 7:30 I was well past the big schools of bait when the little jig got hammered. It stayed deep and I thought it might be the fish I was looking for...but it turned out to be a 24" trout.
I ran down to my next spot and started a long approach because an ex work associate was somewhat in the area. I stayed outside of him but at 8:17 managed to pick up a 17 inch Red just as I got to the edge of the swash channel. I called him and asked if he was doing any good and he said a couple small trout and a pair of underslot reds.... I skirted by picking up two bottom slot trout and as I got to the end of the washout I hooked up a nice 23.5" Red. Left the area and got downwind to hit a flat edge about 1/4 mile away. Right at the edge of the drop I caught a trout...then another 17 inch Red... and then a nice size bluefish...then nothing. Started down the edge throwing to what potholes I could see and I watched a huge Red chase the jig out of the pothole straight at me!...I felt a tick on the line and thought it was the pick up...but it wasn't...just a piece of grass.
The fish turned off and disappeared out of sight. I spent about 20 minutes probing around the area but no luck. It was now 10 and broiling hot as the wind died.... I decided to do one last thing. Early in the morning at spot #1 I caught a croaker...a nice size one that I kept. I ran a few miles to a spot that traditionally holds some nice Snook....They were home...some real bruisers....but they were not interested in a lively croaker....Odd, but not unheard of. I looked at one more spot but nothing there but a pod of porpoises absolutely wrecking mullet!....No surprize that I didn't see much. 10:45 and I'm headed to the ramp.
I'm only guessing that tomorrow may be the last day I can go.... but I may have a short window Saturday morning since Emily is slated to be here in the afternoon.... We'll see.

duckmanJR
08-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Bla-Bla-Bla.... Day 31 straight. Well, at least today the Reds were nicer...50% of them anyway.
Even after telling myself to not keep wearing out my spot #1...I went there anyway. The first fish was a nice trout but after that it was a long dry spell...then a half dz little guys. Next I go to a spot I was doing well at a few weeks back and my very first cast I have a little twisty/loop...so I take that out..but I guess the added sink time let a nice size trout eat it...but that was it for that spot. The next spot is traditionally a good one for me but I only get a catfish going in...I come out and fish the edge of the point and get a trout...then a nice flounder....then a few more bottom slot trout. I stay on that edge and at the very far end pull another nice top slot trout. I head off to spot #4 of the day and I get a mid slot trout...then a 17" Red....and after missing a nicer Red I hook up a sweet 26.5" out of the very same pothole that the big bruiser Red was in yesterday. Nothing more here so I run to my little swash channel and even though it was late (9) and the water was dirty...It was fast action on a mixed bag of trout. I had changed colors after the big Red shredded up my limetruse. They were really liking the Electric chicken...and the one I used that had more pink...did best. If you let it sink all the way to the bottom..the better size fish were there.
About half way down the edge I see a Red coming at me....but I totally messed up the cast and it turned and went back in the direction it had come from....but about twenty feet later it turned and retraced its route back at me....But this time I was perfect....and game on! It fought very well and I wound up with another 26.5" Red. It was now two minutes till 10 and a dark bottomed cloud covered the sun preventing any visability...So I bagged it.....

duke6543
08-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Hope the weather holds out for this weekend. Keep it going.

duckmanJR
08-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Hope the weather holds out for this weekend. Keep it going.

Thanks duke...

Looks like TS Emily won't be a tremendous factor other than cloud cover and a little extra wind....which may or may not be an issue. Having some sunshine makes it easier to stay on the spots.

sharkatak1089
08-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Hey duck, just wanted to let you know today was my 32nd day straight of catching a redfish and a trout......
:P

duckmanJR
08-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Hey duck, just wanted to let you know today was my 32nd day straight of catching a redfish and a trout......
:P

I hope you went today or all you have is a tie......

duckmanJR
08-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Got a slightly later start today... and it cost me my spot. When I got where I was planning on starting (yes..the same place as the past week) There was already a boat in the spot. I went to a secondary spot in the same area but lost the only hook up and missed a couple hits. Left and hit a bar point that had bait and it was a trout on almost every cast....the down side was they were all little guys. Left there and hit another point and caught two slot trout and...a nice size flounder. That's two days in a row. Maybe I should see how long a streak I can do on them? LOL!! It's pretty slickand windless when I leave and head to my next spot...the ride was nice for a cool-off. The only thing in there was one nice trout. I kept at it and wound up at the little swash channel...and at 9 AM put a little 15 incher in the boat....OK, day 32... I play around and catch a few more trout. It's after 10 so I decide to try a little sight fishing.....Saw a couple and the first fish I get to eat I break off!...Got a loop around the bail roller when I closed it so when the Red picked up my little slice of " El supremo" ...POW!! Not good! no more fish spotted so I circle back and my luck turned around...Find the fish and catch a 24" then a 23" in quick succession. Next fish is hooked up and runs long but after working him about half way back the hook pulls. It's now 11:10 so I am hot and decide to head out.....I have the thought of a cold grape Power-aid stuck in my head and I don't even have my rig ready when I come up on a big pod of 8-10 fish at the edge of the drop off... $haat!....pin a chunk on and a wrist flip...it is eaten immediately! I fight this one in and it is the best yet...
25"..... OK...now I can think of nothing but lunch and a drink...thankfully I'm at the flat edge so I fire up and run for the ramp...Hit the ramp and it is all clustered up...Sea tow with a client and several other clueless pilgrims.....Go get the truck and sit in the AC and watch the floor show!....

duckmanJR
08-07-2011, 11:55 AM
I got up and put the weather channel on at 4:58 AM for "weather on the 8's" ...90% humidity...ugh! The radar is all painted up to our south so I know there doesn't appear to have any sight-fishing in todays game plan. I'm figuring that "Emily" is going to figure in the plan in some way or another. I walk outside and it is horridly muggy and dark...no stars or moon to be seen.
The weather has me readjust my plan and instead of starting close to the ramp and working away..I think that I should start away and work back in case rain comes in.
Well, I wish I could say it was a big banger...but it wasn't...it was slow..real slow. On my fist spot it was one bottom slot trout and one missed hit.....I pushed on to my next spot and pulled another slot trout....over an hour and only two fish. I opt to try one more spot that is close enough that I can trolling motor to it... Water is poor at best but I managed 7 more trout in the slot with one being an over slotter.
I decide to make a change and run to another nearby spot.....blanked out. I again readjust to hit a nearby pothole...the one I assured DuPont he would get a Red out of...but didn't.... but today...magic! The jig is hit hard and a nice fish goes airborn shaking its head with gills flared wide! It puts up an epic struggle but I get a big ol' yellowmouth boatside...Very nice! I do my best Karl Wickstrom " don't touch the fish"...releasing it in the water. I really like not touching or bringing out of the water those bigger trout since they are generally so delicate relative to Reds and Snook. Anyway, I've had some issue with that lately breaking off a couple fish with a jig still in their mouths but i'm getting better at really putting the finger pinch on the jighead....If I grabbed a penny that hard I could make Lincoln pee! I get the jig put back on straight and resume...two casts later...a little Red is in the boat!..Day 33! The very next cast back into the pothole it gets thumped and I see a nice Red boil up. Work that one in and it is a nice 24" fish. Decide to move on since there was a boat nearby and didn't want to tip my hand....As I work off the area I had one more nice trout roll on the jig just as I was lifting it out and I was hooked up momentarily but it shook loose. Well, two reds and a big trout all in less than 15 minutes...It's 8:40 so I decide to try a west shore spot and the water is full of bait...but didn't get a sniff. Gonna try one last spot.... Run back to where I've been starting my days. My very first cast I get a 20" Snook! Pretty pleased with having a slam in the boat and keep working downwind on an edge....Long, slow drift and pull two more very nice trout and I am close to finishing up when I get a hard thump on the jig....a nice fat 25" Red comes boatside. All fish today were on either limetruse(early) and then Electric chicken....all Reds and the snook where on the chicken.
Well, it's now 10 :45...time to go.....It's time for lunch and some NASCAR.

angler18
08-07-2011, 01:07 PM
way to keep it going Joe, and congrats on yet another slam!

PONCE
08-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Tearing it up for sure http://serve.mysmiley.net/party/party0007.gif

duke6543
08-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Glad to hear it was a successful weekend for you. I will check back in after lunch today to see if is 34.

duckmanJR
08-08-2011, 01:13 PM
I will check back in after lunch today to see if is 34.

Yes...It's 34.....

duke6543
08-08-2011, 01:23 PM
I had a fealing it would be another good day on the water.

duckmanJR
08-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Yesterday, DuPont called and said that his business trip finished up early and he would be back from Alabama...Did I have room on the skiff.
I told him I would meet him at 5:45 at the ramp. Made it out from the ramp and the wind was already up pretty brisk.
We started off where I quit yesterday but after both of us where fishless in the first 30-40 minutes..it was looking grim. We finally got into a few trout and then Adam hooked up a Red..but a last run at the boat and it was off. A few casts later Adam puts a little Red in the boat. A couple more trout then a long dry spell. Near the end of our float I hook up a decent 22.5" Red and then a couple casts later a slightly smaller one. We turn and work our way back and I get another small Red. Next up, I decide to try a west shore spot to stay out of the worst of the wind and while there was some bait...we only managed one nice mid slot trout for each of us there. Since I was already south..and we were OK on the "Redfish challenge" I opted to change it up some and take Adam for his Snook or a Tarpon. We get in the spot and almost on que I said " Right back there..Tarpon rolling" We start that way but my cast to some mangroves gets thumped and I'm hooked to a decent Snook...not slot but a mid twenty's fish. We keep moving towards the rollers and I get one roll up on the jig but missed it. I had one more flash on it but again..no joy. I ask Adam if he wants to go back to Reds and trout or keep at the Snook and Tarpon but he's keen to stay with the snook/Tarpon program. Next spot, Adam hooks up a flounder but it shakes off boatside. We continue on and I see a Tarpon up ahead roll...we beat the water to death and as we get to a little piece of shoreline that has provided some snook before...I see the Tarpon roll on Adams jig and shout " Reel reel reel...hit'm!" Adam comes tight and the Silver King goes airborne! Sadly, the jig flies loose as they often do...but Adam is nearly speachless.....The fish jumped within a few feet of the boat...a big adrenelin rush. We hit several more spots but all we could muster is me catching a little trout. It's nearly 11:30 so we call it a day.

DuPont
08-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Got out with Duckman this a.m. and ended up with a memorable day. We both nabbed a Red and a nice trout early and then the wind picked up so we hit a few spots new to me. Long story short I jumped my first inshore tarpon and was so close to the slam but she got off with a 5 foot airborne headstand hook spit! Good day... Reds, trout, flounder, snook, (jumped tarpon)…. good times; duck was like 5 hook up’s to my one all mourning. Thanks again.

duckmanJR
08-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Good day... Reds, trout, flounder, snook, (jumped tarpon)…. good times; duck was like 5 hook up’s to my one all mourning. Thanks again.

Not to worry Adam...the sun doesn't shine on the same dogs butt every day...Your big day is coming....

The up side is you went from looking at rolling tarpon on your first trip...now "flying" one....you know that a leader touch is in the cards.

duckmanJR
08-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Every day now I figure it just can't keep going...I get pretty sure that it's over and yet somehow I pull it out. I was out early and on my spot(6:05) and the wind was already hootin' pretty good out of the west. I went to where Adam and I started yesterday and while trying to play the wind...somehow misfigured it. I managed a nice trout quickly but the wind pushed me off line so I had to make a large circle around to get myself right. Worked cross/down wind and managed 7 nice upper end trout two ladys and a catfish. Tried a quick look back where I had the most action but it was empty now. I may have stayed a little too long as It was 7:30 when I left for spot #2 and worked a long way with nothing but a pinfish then as I got to the swash channel I got a nice trout and at 8:37...a 19" Red. Day 35 is secured. The water was dirty and ripply from the wind but I did see one more Red as I worked cross wind trying to keep the sun at my back. I did make what I thought was a good presentation to him twice... but no interest. It was now almost 9 as I finished up and weighed my options. With the wind howling I was torn between going to try the Tarpon again today...or going to look for Reds in a totally different area.
The Red search won out and I went north.... First spot held bait but the water was too dirty for sight fishing. Decided to keep going north and found some fish...and even better....somewhat out of the wind! It made the fishing a little easier and I wound up with two small trout plus two more 17-18" Reds...and a fat, pinched-tail 27"! I also lost a big trout that I wish I hadn't....It was a real beauty. All my fish today were on Elecrtic chicken.
I had been watching the weather to the west closely all morning and it was now 11:20 and I could see little rainshowers here and there...On my way to the ramp caught the edge of one but it was the right call to leave since when I looked north as I ramped up the skiff...it was really rockin' pretty good. Hope the wind lays off soon....

sharkatak1089
08-09-2011, 12:47 PM
I hope you went today or all you have is a tie......

just messin, my record is 14. that was in 2008. Guy has to work sometimes?!

nolesnum01
08-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the excellent fishing reports.
Are you the same JR that use to fish between Vero and Jupiter ?

duckmanJR
08-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the excellent fishing reports.
Are you the same JR that use to fish between Vero and Jupiter ?

Not sure?..... I don't think so.

I do fish down as far as Round island / Harbor branch once in a while...I also like the area by FP... especially early in the year ...but I've been staying closer to home to save on expenses....The truck and outboard need to be fed every day.

duckmanJR
08-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Guy has to work sometimes?!

Been there...done that...work is highly over-rated if you ask me! LOL

sharkatak1089
08-09-2011, 01:26 PM
That spree was made possible by graduation dough and time off of school...i don't see myself breaking the 2 week record anytime soon.

duckmanJR
08-10-2011, 10:21 AM
In from fishing nice and early... Got out to my first spot that I picked because of the already puffin' westerly wind. I started off with a 18" Redfish at 6:26 AM...Day 36 is handled first thing! It was a really cool looking Red since it was all coppery/oranged up..obviosly just came out of some backwater somewhere...probably flushed out on our 2 inch rainfall here yesterday. Missed a couple fish then had a Snook go airborn and spit the jig... I picked up 4 trout and a ladyfish then had a long lull...but when I hooked up the jig just stopped! The fish just sat there a few seconds...then charged at me. It races past the boat and line is ripping off! The water was filthy so I couldn't see what it was as it streaked past. It really puts up a big struggle and I finally land a 30 1/2" Redfish. I look at it more closely and it has one gill raker exposed and protruding from the gill plate...but it is an old healed up wound...it also has 18" of leader trailing out its mouth...hook down its gullet. I clip the leader as short as I can and give it a good revive and it kicks off strong.
It's 7:30 so I opt to move. I look at a traditional good spot but the water is dirty enough to walk on! No bait there either. I head to a west shore spot and it's a total blank. It really has me worried since this spot has been great for years..pulled numerous tournament winner Reds from it...but now...poor at best. A quick stop at a nearby trout spot and pull two nice ones before the wind has me past it. Try ANOTHER west shore spot and again...nada. I do notice that the grass is almost non existant which may explain why the spot has tanked.
Well, It's now 8:50....I forgot to take my Aleve this morning and my elbow and Rotator feel like they are on fire...plus the weather channel said 80% chance of rain so I head in....they don't always get it right...but at 80% they seem pretty sure...and yesterday I dodged a bullet since the rain was monsoon style here yesterday.

duckmanJR
08-10-2011, 06:22 PM
plus the weather channel said 80% chance of rain so I head in....they don't always get it right...but at 80% they seem pretty sure...and yesterday I dodged a bullet since the rain was monsoon style here yesterday.

Yeah, a decided miss on the forecast... I could put todays rain around here in a thimbal....

Panfishangler1
08-11-2011, 11:55 AM
So how would you describe the clarity of the water? NIRL is looking very poor i might say... from my locations .. my last outing was August 3.

duckmanJR
08-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Panfish...I would say it is horrible..AT BEST!!!

Honestly, the water dumping out of the St. Sebastian is some of the problem...sweet and tanin stained. But, I feel that the very biggest issue is one that has no easy answer...That is, the habitat is severly degraded especially the past few years. Starting with the hurricanes of 04' which destroyed alot of west shoreline grass beds (silted over) and then the freeze which killed back alot of seagrass...and the biological time bomb (mega-tons of dead and decaying fish) of super-nutrification of the water....which cases algea blooms when the water get warm...Now, add in an all time high number of Sea grass eaters (Manatee) and you have a "Perfect storm" of bad conditions.

I would say my ability to keep this streak alive is a "Canary in the coal mine" situation.... The fact that I know where the last bits of remaining good habitat is coupled with being able to stay up on conditions ...add in some luck....and it's a little easier to keep it going.

duke6543
08-11-2011, 01:53 PM
So how did you do today? Is it 37? Lets hear the report.

duckmanJR
08-11-2011, 02:04 PM
I was sure today was the end. I promised myself I would go look for fish in other locations so I had a " plan B " when those fish I've been hitting moved on or the wind conditions change etc.
I get to my first spot at 6:20 and at 6:26 I put a small snook in the boat...Hmmm, the hardest part of a slam already done...that's encourageing.
I work thru the area and pull 5 decent size trout and a ladyfish but lose a real fat yellowmouth... and while the bait situation looks promising...I want to run and gun some spots I have not been to in a while....some, close to a year. The next two spots are ones that have both produced Reds in the past but today...not a touch. Very dirty water and limited bait activity. Decide to run north and my first stop...I ground out trying to get in...too shallow, so I move on. Next spot is one that I fished monday. I catch a pair of slot trout and then lose another nice trout before returning to try another drift slightly off line. As I get to the edge of the flat the jig is hammered and it's the one I needed...a nice
25 1/2" Red ! Decide to keep going north and hit a spot up by Grant. Nothing at first but I finally hook up...another nice trout...only to come unbuttoned yet again! I move no more than 50 yards and hook up again...and it's a nice size flounder...that shakes off just as I get my net in my hand... Really?...I'm really feeling snake bit but another 50 yards and I actually SEE a Redfish.... On the fourth presentation it rushes the jig and we're hooked up. A strong fight ends with a 23 1/2" Red in the boat. I try one more close spot before I start south. Look in one place on my way back to the ramp but get the skiff hung up again. Ok...it's 11:30 and it's starting to drizzle on me...Time to run for home! All fish..like all this month have been on either Electric chicken or Limetruese jig & plastic.
I got home and I was lucky today....even though the forcast was only 50% today...It started raining cats and dogs about 15 minutes after I pulled in. :thumbsup

duke6543
08-11-2011, 02:29 PM
That is what we were waiting for. Another successful day. Congratulations.

DuPont
08-11-2011, 06:20 PM
wow... you are making this seem too easy! Nice work

DuPont
08-11-2011, 06:21 PM
:hail

Big Dago
08-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Duckman did you find that GPS tracking device I put on your ride, just pulling you line man. Congrats on the streak!!!!
My best was 10 trout on 10 straight casts, quit because I did not want to ruin my streak.

OrlandoChuck
08-12-2011, 11:01 AM
:Rockon

duckmanJR
08-12-2011, 12:26 PM
OK...It is still alive and well at 38 straight...BUT...With the Redeye tournament tonight/tomorrow... I better save the story for tomorrow.

duke6543
08-12-2011, 01:15 PM
I will check back Wednesday to see if it is 43. I'm headed to the beach for my annual brownie points long weekend. (with the in-laws)
Good luck if you are in the tournament. Keep the steak alive.

angler18
08-13-2011, 06:05 PM
good luck in the tourney Joe, can't wait to see if the streak is still alive!

duckmanJR
08-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Streak is still alive....and I made money today!

duckmanJR
08-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Ok, I'll roll Fri - Sat - Sun together. I didn't want to post much since Friday was a pre fish for the SISA Redeye. Friday, I stayed close in figuring to try and spend as much time in a fishing area that was close enough to the weigh-in site so If needed I could fish late then jet to the weigh-in. I also had hoped to have a good "plan B" ready in case of any unforseen issue. I was out in the dark but the bite started slow. I had one small slot trout and eventually started picking up a couple. Since I was on a Redfish hunt..I left the trout and kept at it.
At just before 9 it started to pop and between 9 and 10:45 I managed to boat 5 Reds on " El supremo " and got one on a limetruse jig. At 11 I Went to another spot to have as a plan B...It had some prospects as the water wasn't great..but not terrible and I saw a couple fish.
Friday evening I went to the Captains meeting and got to chat with some fellows I know thru fishing other tournaments.
I went home instead of going out as some competitors did..but I've found I"m better if I'm rested and hit it early.
Awake Saturday at 3:45 and go get fuel and coffee and launch at 4:30. I go make a bait stop and at 5 I'm baited up.
I run and do a slow approach to my spot and get set up by 5:20.....From then to 6:40 I put three Reds (one of which is my 3rd place fish) and a nice trout in the boat. It gets slow at that point but in the end I ended up with 10 Reds by 12:30...and made weigh-in.
Pocketed $375 for the day...so...... pretty nice day.
Today, I decided to fish trout early and went to my "plan B" from the day before. The very first fish is a Red. Keep at it and catch 6 trout with one tiny but the rest were nice slotties. On my way to my next spot I try a place that had good current running over it...first fish is a jack but the second fish is a nice trout..but no more action. Head to my third spot and start picking trout right away. The third fish as a real sweet trout about 5 lbs then pull another bottom slot Red. Today, the water was very dirty...probably from the tremendous rain we had Saturday (thankfully after I got home) and there was alot of floating grass too. I was able to pick up three more Reds ( one was another 5 spotter) and had one more on that ran way off...did a headstand...and came unbuttoned. Quit at 12 today. So...while today was day 40 straight...day 39 was the one that really counted!

duckmanJR
08-15-2011, 11:24 AM
41 ..... I got going a little later than normal...A little tired at 5 AM and my rotator cuff and elbow are barely noticing one Aleve. I went to the " Plan B" spot and first fish is.....a catfish...fish #2 is...a Ladyfish..Uhhh ohhhh....It seems as though Limetruse is the magic color for trash fish. Thankfully, #3 is a "streak saver" of about 17 inches. The next fish is a near duplicate size Red....I catch 5 trout in a short time with most about 16" and the best about 22" or so... then go fishless for about 40 minutes. Decide to look at what would have been my "Plan C" spot on tourney day. I picked off two more small trout there and as I was finishing up that spot at 8:25 I get a hard thump on the jig and a good fight out of a 24" Red. I leave there and with more sun switch gears to sighting up fish with live bait and try one more spot. It's now 10 minutes till 9 and the spot is kinda blown out and dirty. I work around and by 10:17 I've put three more Reds in the boat...all on mud minnows pinned to the jig head and dropped in their face. As can happen in owning a boat...I noticed today that my baitwell pump quit...so, i'll need to fix that.

DuPont
08-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Who did you fish the tourny with?

duckmanJR
08-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Who did you fish the tourny with?

I went solo Adam. My son didn't get back from Savanna till late... I wasn't sure if I would fish but my wife actually talked me into fishing. She said " You're going to fish tomorrow right?...and you like SISA and what they do right?...Even if you don't win anything..you made a donation to a good cause" Turned out good for me.

duckmanJR
08-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Day 42...Getting kinda like the movie " Groundhog day " Get to my plan B spot and the very first fish is a really nice trout...the next two are also really nice size. These first three would easily be over 10 lbs combined weight. Then, I get into some "Streak savers".....get six of them with two that were bottom slotters. A few ladys and a catfish and a bluefish plus half a dz trout that were right about bottom slot plus or minus an inch. The bite was good till about 8:30 then died abruptly. Made a move to my next spot and the wter was trashed bad.....dirty with lots of floating grass. I only managed one trout. This was the end of the jig and plastic (limetruce) ..I switched to bait at this point.
Kept looking around and bumped a couple Reds so I stayed in the general area. They were acting funny though...very skittery. It was now almost 10 AM and the wind just quit! It got really warm fast but it was right then the bite picked back up...or more properly, I figured out what they wanted presentation wise. You had to see what way they were facing/moving....and put the bait in the nearest sand hole...and let them "come to" the bait. Caught 3 more ...one of which was a nice 30 1/2" that really fought me to a split decision (my elbow still hurts) and the other two where twin 25" fish .
Had one other on that came unbuttoned....It was now 11 AM and roasting hot...clouds came in and killed the sight fishing so I headed in.

angler18
08-16-2011, 05:11 PM
wow Joe, can't believe it's still going, congrats on the tourny cash too, you definitely earned it by putting your time in.

duckmanJR
08-17-2011, 11:56 AM
OK Duke...It's now 43. I was a little late getting out...cast netted a few "insurance policies". I went to "plan B" spot..but the wind was not right so I had to work it differently... most of the bait was gone...and the water was trashed. Sum total was one tiny trout, one catfish, and one jack. At this point,things are officially " tuff'r than a $2 steak". The conditions were looking less than optimal weather wise too...the wind was pretty brisk and there were alot of clouds around.
Take a look at two other spots but don't fish..no bait..junk water. Head to another spot...and there are already 3 boats there. I work into a nearby spot and go a long while with nothing and then as I'm getting to think that the streak is over....a nice Red slams the jig right at the boat. A great struggle and I'm playing it carefully. Tapes out at 24" so it is a better quality streak saver than I was expecting.
It's 7:46 and I'm relieved since things can only be described as slow....very slow. I work the area but nothing else so I move on. I get to a little drop off and pull two more small trout. Now yesterday, my three trout would have gone over 10 lbs...today they would barely pass 10 ounces!....horrible! It's half past nine and the wind is blowing strong and I told myself to wait it out and see if it lays off around 10.....and it did. I was lucky because we had a break in the clouds and from 10 till 11 AM I was able to put 4 more Reds in the boat on bait. I had Fish # 5 on but it broke my leader knot...Pretty warm out so rather than re-rig...I headed home.

duke6543
08-17-2011, 12:48 PM
It's good to hear you had a good weekend, and the knowledge paid off in the tournament. 43 days is freaking amazing.
My long weekend consisted of surf fishing in Daytona behind the hotel and the only thing biting was lady fish and small sharks, not what I was hoping for.
Keep this thing rolling. I can see this going for a long time if conditions stay consistant.

DuPont
08-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Was hoping for an update on my lunch break; hope you are still rolling with the streak. I will be back in town tonight.. . maybe an inshore trip this weekend??

duckmanJR
08-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Yeah Adam...still going...44 I had to go to a meeting at noon so I had to hustle getting home at 11:15!

I went to "plan B" spot...mistake....and I won't be going back tomorrow. Today there was no wind at all so I could fish it fine...but the bait had vacated the spot. I caught one trout and a ladyfish there. Next spot is one I haven't fished in a few weeks...DuPont and I had a couple fish there last time I went...and today was the same. Bait was ribboned up along the edge and after picking off a few trout and ladys I put two "streak saver" Reds in the boat. It was getting really warm but just like someone thru a switch...the bite kicked "on" about 8 AM..... all smallish trout and ladyfish...and even the pinfish were eating the tiny "rain minnows" that were dimpling the surface everywhere. Played around with the trout a bit but since I knew I had limited time I ran to one last spot..partly because I needed to get some air moving over my sweat soaked body..and partly to try and up the size on the Reds. The water was very bad at first but after looking around alot... the incoming brought slightly better water and I was able to sight up a 23" fish and had one nice one pull off.
Back at the ramp by 10:45.....

angler18
08-18-2011, 05:53 PM
keep it going Joe, that's one hell of a record!

johnD
08-18-2011, 10:08 PM
keep it going Joe, that's one hell of a record!

this ^:beer

BnT
08-19-2011, 01:29 AM
This is the best thread on the new forum by far! you are a machine duckman.. keep it goin!

duckmanJR
08-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Day 45!......at this point, even I am amazed. I started out throwing the net a couple times for some live bait insurance policies...but I would not have needed them...and I actually outsmarted myself for part of todays trip. I decided to start at what would have been my "plan C" spot in last weekends SISA tourney had I needed it. The bait was in there pretty thick and the water, while dirty was not all full of floating grass.
I make my way into the area and within 15 minutes was starting to work on some bottom slot trout.....had about 5 or 6 and as I worked away from the heaviest concentration of mullet I see my jig being followed. It looked like a Virginia class attack submarine humping up a big bow wave....very exciting and now the big question...do you slow down the retrieve...or keep the pace...and risk him not having enough time to close the distance before getting to the boat. I opted for keep the pace....and he picked up his pace grabbing the jig as he turned and bent my rod up double! A great fight and a solid fish at 24". Three or four casts later..BANG!...another Red....this one is only 22" but I'm glad to have found some fish anyway. I keep at it and land two more trout and circle back to the area I just came thru but slightly off line...I managed two more smaller 18" Reds in rapid fire succesion....
At this point it is only 5 minutes after 7...35 minutes of fishing with 7 or 8 Trout and 4 Reds...pressure is off but then again...so is the bite. Only one trout as I work out of that spot and down a flat edge that did have nice bait on it...weird.
OK, so here is where it gets hard...Run to my next spot and the water is bad..real bad. I tell myself that it may clean up as I get higher on the flat and I switch to live bait (mistake).....bump one nice Red and a big trout. In trying to keep the sun and wind at my back...even my short 5'8" stature on the bow is casting a shadow 20 feet in front of the boat. All the bait is doing the perfectly motionless......till the huge shadow hits them...then they're off to the races. I'm all over the flat and only see one other Redfish....
I change locations slightly and I finally get a decent shot on a Red...get the pick up and hooked up....runs about 30 feet and comes off..dang it! I motor off the area and reposition a long way up wind trying to get the best combo of sun angle and wind advantage. It is starting to get a little windy making it hard to see in the dirty rippled water but I luck into a Red sitting high in the water column that I was able to put a bait in front of....feel the pick up and set the hook....a short run but the bait flies loose...Double-Dang it!! It was a really nice (overslot) fish. OK, I'm getting frustrated....0 for 2.... I stay with it and continue quietly down wind...a couple bad throws...but finally...success! I wind up getting two on bait pretty quickly but notice that it is now noon! So, that's it...6 Reds and 8 or 9 trout.

Now, for the lesson I learned. Being a good "Field General" is important in flats fishing and I totally missed what should have been obvious. I switched over to bait way too early......I did not have good contitions for sighting up fish and SHOULD have stayed with the jig till about 9:30... so, I wasted some valuable time in a place that had fish...but my technique was not the right one given the conditions. Basicly, I was lucky and had " a turn of a friendly card" so to speak.....I guess having 4 Reds in the boat made me somewhat sloppy and complacent....but hopefully, I will recognize the situation sooner next time.

Joe P
08-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Joe, Hey there its been awhile. Had to change my name when signing back into FS as Fishin Magician was taken. Annie and I hoping to head back up to Sebastian in the next few weeks. I'll be in touch.
How's things with you?. Obviously your still slaying them. Thanks again for all your help this past May. I sold the big boat and hope to concentrate more on the inshore stuff.
Talk with ya soon
Joe P.

duke6543
08-19-2011, 03:41 PM
So it sounds like you adapted and overcame the conditions. Once again nice work, keep it up. I'll check back Monday.

DuPont
08-19-2011, 05:42 PM
A would say that is one hell of a morning on the flats. The fact that you are concentrating on how it could have been better is what makes you one of the best fishermen i have had the pleasure of fishing with. Until next time...

duckmanJR
08-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Joe, Hey there its been awhile. Had to change my name when signing back into FS as Fishin Magician was taken. Annie and I hoping to head back up to Sebastian in the next few weeks. I'll be in touch.
How's things with you?. Obviously your still slaying them. Thanks again for all your help this past May. I sold the big boat and hope to concentrate more on the inshore stuff.
Talk with ya soon
Joe P.

Good to hear from you Joe... Are you and Annie going to stay at the same place as before?....That was a sweet deal with the boat lift included.

Give me a shout and lets talk fishin'!

duckmanJR
08-20-2011, 02:05 PM
still going......46..... I started out where I started yesterday. Much slower bite with only one sub slot Red (first fish of the day) and a couple small trout. Leave there and take a look at "plan B" spot....a long float till I finally hook up a nice 23" Red....but that is all. I head to another spot but can't quite make out the spot where I want to fish...water is bad dirty....Almost ready to quit and in close succession put two "Streak savers" in the boat...and then pop two more trout....but that's all. Run to my last spot and water is still bad. I have enough sun and switch to sighting up Reds with bait.....go 2 for 4 with both fish nice 24- 25 inchers...the last fish that I lost was a comedy! I see the fish at 6 feet from the boat (water is THAT dirty) drop the bait on its nose and it eats...set the hook and it runs directly under the boat...I run to the stern to keep it off the lower unit but on the way I kick my bluewater measuring board overboard! I remember to take my phone out of my pocket and jump in....the slack in the line coupled with barbless hook...and trying to grab the boat (It's heading down wind) ....the fish gets off. I was able to retrieve the bluewater thankfully. So, it was a bit tough...with only 4 smallish trout and going 6 of 8 on the Reds....the up side is that other than the fiasco on the last fish...I didn't make the mistake I did yesterday about switching to bait too early.

lxcoupe
08-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Good see'in ya out there today Joe... My last spot gave up a little wermbag......Was a good day today out there.

duckmanJR
08-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Good see'in ya out there today Joe... My last spot gave up a little wermbag......Was a good day today out there.

Good seeing you Al!... Glad your back fishing again.

You left too soon...You would have laughed your rear-end off if you could have watched my little fire drill....

irlyriser
08-21-2011, 02:26 AM
Keep it up!

duckmanJR
08-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Wearing down physicly now....but day 47 in a row was fairly easy today....My first fish of the morning comes just before 7 AM and is a bottom slot Red of 19" ...next fish is a catfish....??? I stay in the general area and nail a nice 24" Red next. I saw LX Coupe out today and we worked over the spot pretty well. Al got a nice trout but all I got was one more little trout and one more little Red before we parted company. I worked my way down wind off the spot without a strike. At this point, my arm was done throwing the jig so I headed to my next spot and was up on the flat by 9 AM. The water was still pretty dirty but after looking around I saw a nice fish pass 20 feet in front of me. A quick toss of the bait on the intercept line and POW! We're hooked up and runnin'! A very good fight...because it was a
30 1/2" fish. It's now 9:35 and pretty warm...only the freshening breeze makes it bearable. Stayed in the general area and in the next hour I put 3 more nice 25" Reds in the boat...It's now 10:40....I can hardly hold my right arm up....so, I bid farewell to Al and wish him luck...Time for a shower and some lunch..and some NASCAR!

lxcoupe
08-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Another good day on the water.
Here is one of Joe's pet fish he let me catch :)
http://www.inshore-fishing.com/forum/uploads/1250225063/gallery_468_2_46643.jpg

ReelFinnAddict
08-22-2011, 09:18 AM
ugly fuger!!

bigoldredfish
08-22-2011, 09:36 AM
ugly fuger!!

a whole skool of ugly ******s ...

duckmanJR
08-22-2011, 12:41 PM
And that's part of the reason why I don't post pictures... My feelings would get hurt if everyone didn't appreciate my beauty....

DuPont
08-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Duck is that guy on the water with you?? i Know that sport... i will be on it tomorrow morning!! J/K

duckmanJR
08-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Today started as without doubt the hardest day in a long time. I get to my first spot and with a different wind I make an approach from the opposite direction. I don't know that this was a big factor... BUT... I went an hour and a half tossing the jig with only a 10 inch and a twenty inch trout to show for it. The conditions looked good bait wise... but I couldn't get anything going. When the sun finally peeked out from behind a thunderhead to the east..I could see the water was SUPER dirty. I leave there and get to my next spot. I work up on the flat throwing the jig but when I get up where I wanted to be I switched to bait. Now here's where a really tough day...gets worse...much worse! I see a Red up ahead and pitch a bait to it....feel the pick up and set the hook...short run and it comes off...Rebait and work around and see a nice fish sitting high in the water column...pitch to it...bang!..hooked up...and hook pulls.
" Are you kidding me!! "..... Stay in the same area and see another...perfect shot...he inhales the bait...I stick him as hard as I can....runs off 50 feet...and comes unbuttoned!..."Oh for cryin' out loud...WTF? " 0 for 3!! It's now 9:40...hot as all get out...and now no wind. I'm seriously considering my options.... Conditions are deteriorating. I opt for one last pass. I don't go far before I see a fish. I make my play and POW!....hooked up!! This time, I manage to get it to the boat..a nice 24" Red. I feel a little relief that day 48 straight is secured. I work out of that area and work towards a set of potholes I like....Well, to make a long story short...I put the very next four fish in the boat...and move the score to 5 for 8 on Reds. It was now noon and the wind and clouds along with dirty and grassy incoming water ended it for me.

duckmanJR
08-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Duck is that guy on the water with you?? i Know that sport... i will be on it tomorrow morning!! J/K

No, Al was in his own boat...we worked the area together.

lxcoupe
08-22-2011, 04:05 PM
ugly fuger!!

Takes one to know one:full

duckmanJR
08-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Takes one to know one:full

He's just mad...He wants YOUR boat back Al...

lxcoupe
08-22-2011, 05:21 PM
He is one ugly SOB, and yes when the pomps come back my boat might be hard to find.

duckmanJR
08-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Are you waiting for that epic fail?..... Well, You'll need to wait just a little longer! Today was equally slow compared to yesterday on arties.
My first spot (plan B spot) was a total blank....not a touch! Next stop was where LX coupe and I did pretty well sat/sun....same as yesterday...two trout...only today they were BOTH small. It's now half past 8 and warmin' up. I head to my third spot. I work up onto the flat with the jig and go hitless. It's almost 9 so I switch to bait. I go to where I went 0 for 3 on Reds yesterday...Water is dirty/grassy and nobody is home today.... I motor out and make a new approach down wind..... and get very lucky. I see a pod of 5 or 6Reds facing me and about 50 feet out....drop the bait in front of them and two break away and a nice one picks it up on the fly. I set the hook and play a nice 24" to the boat...9:50 and day 49 is secured! The water is getting dirtier as the tide and wind push in and it takes a while and just tossing a bait in every pothole to catch two more Reds...One an 11 spot 18 1/2" and one a little 17"er. I keep at it and find a few more fish picking off a 25"...losing one about the same size and at 12:02 land a 23 1/2" and at this point I'm feeling the heat so I'm off to the ramp....Total is two small trout and 5 for 6 on Reds.

PS... You can't imagine how good 4,000 RPM can feel....the ride to the ramp was wonderfull!

duke6543
08-23-2011, 01:42 PM
4,000 RPM feels like the A/C on high when you are soaked with sweat. It's good to read that you are still on them.

ReelFinnAddict
08-23-2011, 10:20 PM
He is one ugly SOB, and yes when the pomps come back my boat might be hard to find. Yup!

ReelFinnAddict
08-23-2011, 10:22 PM
He's just mad...He wants YOUR boat back Al...Yes I do :Sinking

duckmanJR
08-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Well, I have to say that I'm glad that this whole saga will come to an end. The streak will end after today due to mother natures hand.
I also figure I will never be able to break 50 days straight ever again.....I just don't know if I have the physical ability.
Now, I know some of you are sitting at work secretly hoping that it would all end with a wimper.....I can even understand it....Here's this guy going fishing every day....and even worse than that...no skunks. A deal with the devil?...or just dumb luck.

Today, I woke up really tired after sleeping on my couch in the den....last thing I remember I was watching TV after a late supper....then, a loud clap of thunder wakes me at 4:40 AM. I'm draggin azz.
Get down to Hess for fuel and coffee and I can see the light show offshore and south....Looking iffy. Go get a few baits just in case we get a little weather window to sight fish. I start at a completely new spot since the past two days have been aweful at the places I've been going first thing in the morning. I start throwing the jig and limetruese about 6:45. No better at this spot so I move to run a line that I feel might give up a Red. It's a few minutes after 7 when a commercial netter runs up at speed kinda where I wanted to go...*****!
Well, you never know how these things will pan out. A few minutes later...here comes a big school of Reds...maybe 20 or more that obviosly where pushed by that guy......moving quickly. I do a little flip cast and it is instantly eaten. A good tussle and a nice 24" is the streak saver today. See, sometimes even bad things turn out good! This whole time I'm being reminded how this can all end quickly because there is a constant rumble of thunder. I continue on and the bites are spaced way out. The next one turns out to be a really nice trout. I make my way to a large pothole and stake off a while since there is no visablity. Toss out two baits and wait about 20 minutes...nobody home..or so I thought. I pull up the stake and start across the pothole. I've switched back to a jig and Electric chicken and my second cast the jig comes to a sudden stop......then drag starts ripping off. I put a very fat 26 1/2" Red in the boat for #2 on the day. I pull three small dink trout out of the hole but it's done. I reposition the boat to use the wind and what little sun I had to try and sight up a few while there was a break in the clouds. Fish #3 comes at 9:42 and from then till 11:20 I manage three more plus a ladyfish and lost one other "mystery fish" out of a small pothole. Off the flat at 11:30 and that's it.... Day 50...4 trout and 6 Reds.

duke6543
08-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Congratulations on 50. I think everyone that has been following this will respect your decision to end the madness. Although you may not fish for a few days due to inclement weather, it is of my opinion that the streak of catching a certain species on consecutive trips should still be allowed even if not in consecutive days. Take Nascar for instance. If a driver wins Friday night in the truck race and wins Saturday in the Nationwide race and the Sunday race gets rained out and postponed till Monday, and the race is won by the same driver well then the streak continues and they call it a sweep. I think you get what I'm say'n. The count should still increase.

Bottom line is we have enjoyed reading your post. And we all have learned something from this, well I have anyway. So keep us updated on future trips.

sharkatak1089
08-24-2011, 03:54 PM
nice work JR..

lxcoupe
08-24-2011, 04:32 PM
I agree with Duke Joe..... The streak ends when you don't catch a red on your next trip. The yankees didn't play 7 days a week during Joe DiMaggio's 61 consecutive game hitting streak. So can't wait to see 51. :)

By the way RFA and I did pretty good yesterday. No Reds, but we put some of those racing mullet and some really nice trout in the boat.

duckmanJR
08-24-2011, 05:49 PM
Thanks guys.....I think it's just best to put this to rest on a high note. I've really wanted to go do some other fishing but got so wrapped up in this I just couldn't. I've been doing this every day since returning from vacation. I may do some Bass fishing or some Tarpon......If we get a bunch of rain out of this storm I may do some snook fishing.

duckmanJR
08-24-2011, 05:51 PM
By the way RFA and I did pretty good yesterday. No Reds, but we put some of those racing mullet and some really nice trout in the boat.

Evening fishing?

lxcoupe
08-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Evening fishing?

Nope, we were out there same time as you...Saw you run back behind spot #2

redsnducks
08-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Thanks guys.....I think it's just best to put this to rest on a high note. I've really wanted to go do some other fishing but got so wrapped up in this I just couldn't. I've been doing this every day since returning from vacation. I may do some Bass fishing or some Tarpon......If we get a bunch of rain out of this storm I may do some snook fishing.

....since returning from vacation - sure sounds to me like the last 50 days were a vacation!! If you do some bass fishing on stick marsh and see a concentration of gators, let me know, I have a gator permit for stick marsh coming up. I did manage 4 saturdays in a row with reds!

Jim

DuPont
08-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Very impressive streak that is cool to be a part of (day 16 and 34), however I agree with the rest of the thread... the streak ends the day you go out targeting Reds and get skunked.

duckmanJR
08-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Boy, you guys are a tuff crowd....You won't even let me kill my own pig!

OK, After laying off two days I went out this AM...Bait was easy to get and I was loaded in two throws...I should have figured if it was that easy to come by...I wouldn't need it. I can see that the SW wind is already gettin' going pretty briskly so I head to " Plan B" spot to have a little wind shadow. I toss the jig and limetruese (the water is wrecked!) It's a long time till I whack a little trout but then at 7:27 I get a nice 23 1/2" Red in the boat. I fished the area till 8 but nothing else. I ran to a spot that I haven't been in a very long time. There were two reasons..one is that this storm pushed a big bulge of water into the river so it was high.... and still coming in...which allowed me into this area which is not always do-able in a 20 ft. Hewes Light tackle. It was a good choice. I start " Workin' the 'groves" pitching the jig right to the edge of the mangroves. The first fish on the jig is a big ladyfish but the next fish is a big fat momma Yellowmouth....Best one I've had in a good while. I keep working the edge and not too long after that I get a nice Red...followed by a decent trout..followed by two more Reds...and had one other on... but came unbuttoned. I left that spot and tried one more place that I have not been able to get to due to water depth but today..no problemo! Let the wind blow me down wind out of the spot and caught another big girl Trout...not as big as the earlier one but a VERY nice sized one.....and...one more Red! I went to one last spot and had a breif hook up but not enough hookset I guess....
The water is totally destroyed at this point and with this much wind it is sure to get worse....

duckmanJR
08-27-2011, 01:12 PM
PS... I got your call late Adam...was on my way back from Ocala...will call you this eve.....

duckmanJR
08-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Today, DuPont (Adam) and I went out. We got a nice early start and I opted to not get any bait since the water is just so bad that it probably would be fruitless anyway. We started out using the wind...which was already blowing at 7 or 8 MPH to push us towards our first spot. Adam has the first big hit but it doesn't stay hooked and shortly after I put the steel to what turns out to be a nice size trout...maybe in the 4 lb range or so. We work around the area but no more so I decide to move us to a semi wind protected area. We work in and as I was explaining the area to Adam I see a fish bust some bait and shoot the jig that way....a turn of the reel handle and I'm hooked up to what was a nice upper slot Red. Here's where I may have made a tactical error. I opted to push downwind and work thru a line of potholes that we couldn't see due to low sun angle and filthy water....A total bust. It was a long while and at the end I decided to hit a new spot at the top of incoming.
We get there and I tell Adam " From this point thru that one is the best area" and a few casts later Adam has a vicious strike but again...his luck isn't there and no hook-up. I pull two more small Reds and then Adam comes on and catches 3 trout and a ladyfish...So, he's got the skunk off. We try a nearby cove that I had fish in yesterday... but nobody was home. We change locations and go where I had the nice Red in the morning...and there were some fish still there. Saw a couple and towards the end of the first drift I throw to a pothole at the limit of my casting distance. I hop the jig once and bang!...hooked up and it's a nice one! I get a good fight and I bring in a solid 26 1/2" Red. We make another pass and see a couple fish but no hook-ups. Push downwind aways and then circle around and try a slightly off line drift but no good on that. We decide to try one more spot...a small section of "Plan B" that I had a nice Red at yesterday. We work thru it raking it hard and as we are right at the end.....I get a hard hit and a good fish goes airborn!
Adam says "Is it a Snook?" but I'm not sure...din't get a good look but it fights very hard and has speed....but when it gets close it rolls to the top and a big fat momma Yellowmouth starts "popping" her mouth like a teen girl chewing gum.....This is a really nice fish. I wet my hands and after a couple tries I get her gently lifted up and get the jig loose from her mouth. A little revive time and she kicks off strongly. And that's how it ended at 12:30..... What could only be called a hard day with dirty water and tough conditions (it blew like stink all day basicly) but one that gave up a few real quality fish.....and day 52 straight with 4 Reds and 2 trout for me and three trout and a ladyfish for Adam. What may have been the big difference in our day was Adam missed two important bites...and on a hard day....that can be the whole difference. Anyway, It was a fun day out on the water and we'll give Adam a chance at redemption soon.

Chumbag
08-28-2011, 06:02 PM
AWESOME!!! Congratulations on your continued streak. You are living the dream; at least it would be one of mine.

Bugless112
08-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Awesome can you poast some pics?

duckmanJR
08-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Awesome can you poast some pics?

Sorry..no pictures....I don't take pictures. Since I'm fishing every day...why would I?
If you look back towards the beginning of this thread..I allowed DuPont to take a picture of his fish...as long as it was at his house!

Every Trout, Redfish, and Flounder look the same.....only the background looks different.... if your not carefull....

duckmanJR
08-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Today made yesterdays tuff day actually look good! I got out and started throwing...and throwing...and throwing. Over an hour and a half and not one hit! Headed to where Adam caught his trout and I caught a couple Reds yesterday and after a long float nailed a nice Flounder....which took up residence in the live well. The opposite point from the flounder I get lucky and at 8:30 put a Redfish that was just shy of 24" in the boat. A quick release and kept in the area but nothing more till I finished up at the last point of mangroves and caught a jack. I did briefly see a pair of Reds but no go on them. Went back to where I started this morning (where I caught the two top slotters yesterday) but I only saw one fish going away fast and at the end of that downwinf float I managed a mid slot trout.....and that was it. Quit at 11AM....
The best thing about a 4 hour trip with only 4 fish...is that:
1) The streak continues...53 straight
2) I'm eating a flounder for dinner

duke6543
08-29-2011, 02:21 PM
You are setting the bar way high. Awsome......

duckmanJR
08-29-2011, 04:41 PM
You are setting the bar way high. Awsome......

Thanks Duke... I suppose this may give some guy who's closing in on retirement something to think about. I know it's hard to work up much sympathy but.....It is physicly grueling.
My mornings are now started with two Aleve even before my coffee... I hope the water cleans up soon....It's alot easier to pitch a live bait to a sighted up fish than to continually throw and wind.

duckmanJR
08-30-2011, 03:11 PM
If you would have asked me at noon " What's the chance of the streak going one more day"....I would have said " Looks bad..Real bad"
But like that Bass guy Mike Iaconnelli....NEVER GIVE UP.
I was out early and saw a pretty big elecrical show out over the ocean and the wind was already up somewhat. I made two toss's of the net for about 15 "insurance" baits and headed to my first spot. Started tossing the limetruse jig and like yesterday...kept tossin' and windin'....One jack! Hit "plan B" spot...NADA! Head to my standby Redfish hole... stake off and toss out two baits..and wait...and wait some more. Pull the stake up and try to reposition when one rod bends over...A good fight but not the target specie...but hard to be dissapointed with a Trout that would push 7 lbs. fish all over the area but dirty water...wind and a solid cloud cover made sighting anything impossible so I went back to the jig....hours worth of nothing! Run to where I saw a couple yesterday but conditions where not favorable to see...so I staked out. One big lady and a catfish later I work out of there with the jig..NADA.
It's now 12 :15 so I decide one more spot and that's it.... Here's where luck plays into your day.....On the same line of potholes I was skunked on this morning...a short break in the clouds has it where I can just barely make them out. I toss a bait in everyone I can see and reach and the first fish is another big Lady but at 12 :30...Finally, Target specie come aboard! a nice 25" Red for day 54 .. In the next hour I managed to boat a 26 1/2" Red and had another big one on... but it came off. Kept in the area till almost 2 PM...but it clouded back up so I quit and headed in. The Morning bite in this area has been very poor for me and the guys I've talked to....The streak could break very soon...

davederb
08-30-2011, 07:19 PM
Still alive at 54 is a beautiful thing. Well done. I look forward to hearing about tomorrows adventure. We're all living vicariously thru you on this one.

screamin seaman
08-30-2011, 11:35 PM
Outstanding! Not sure if I could do the same targeting catfish with chicken gizzards!!!!!

DuPont
08-31-2011, 12:37 PM
:funnypost

duckmanJR
08-31-2011, 01:06 PM
OK...Now we have a number....54. The streak ended today. I wish I could say I'm glad...but that would only be partially true at best.

I took my older brother out and I made one throw of the net and had as much insurance as I would need. We get to spot #1 and aside from the mosquitos which made it unbearable without spray...to just unpleasant with a good slathering of OFF. It was almost instant fish on limetruese...my first cast is a trout that shakes off boatside. We really wore them out for about an hour or so till some numb-nut came racing past at full throttle not 50 yards away...some people are clueless.
We worked the area hard but from then on it was a fish here and there. By 9:30 I could see that sighting was going to be very difficult with a trifecta of bad conditions. A second day in a row of heavy overcast coupled with a heavily wind rippled water...and water that is now just wrecked...the look of wet concrete. Kept at it as best we could but my brother was not really able to pick out potholes or grass edges and I was only marginally better. At noon with the tide high and dirty it was just too much to keep my brother out with a storm closing in....so, I suffer my defeat at the hands of Mother Nature.

I guess the up side is now I can go Snook fishing and leave the Reds alone for a while.

duke6543
08-31-2011, 02:42 PM
That was one heck of a run. Congrats.... It was fun checking in everyday to read about your success. Thanks for sharing the 54 reports. We have all learned something from this.

I'll buy you cup of coffee when I make my run down to Sebastian.

davederb
08-31-2011, 07:34 PM
We'll done. All good things must come to an end at some point. Weather's been nasty out lately which obviously hurts.

BnT
09-01-2011, 12:37 AM
FS owes you a visor or something.. you brought the win to EC

Panfishangler1
09-01-2011, 10:18 AM
All good things must come to an end sometime. Right -teo- ol chap! thankyou duckman!!

melbeach
09-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Bravo!

duckmanJR
09-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Thank you Gentlemen.... It was a heck of a run for sure!

I guess the one thing that makes it just a little easier to swallow is that it would have ended today if not yesterday.....Today the conditions were equally bad if not worse and I guess I may get to start a streak of consecutive Redfish strike outs!

Today, I started where my brother and I fished yesterday and while the mother lode of Trout were gone...the mosquitos were there with a vengance! Even with a big spray of Off....It was torturous for the first 20 minutes or so. I pulled two small trout and had one pull of there. I worked all around a large but dispersed bait school and after a long dry spell caught a nice Trout of about 3 lbs or so....I quickly followed with a pair of nice ones in the 19-20 inch range...then nothing again.
The weather was again overcast and the wind was up...and yes..the water was still "wet concrete". I had stopped at my bait spot before fishing but only got about 8 or 10 small fingers....but since everything was looking bad for sighting fish...I didn't sweat it.
About 9 ish I started throwing the few small baits I had to potholes that I could see.... About the 4th or 5th pothole I had a strong strike and was thinking Redfish...but it turned out to be a very nice trout. Not long after that, a rainstorm was bearing down which shut off the sunshine and picked up the wind with a pretty strong outfall boundary. I decided to slip the rain and head towards the ramp. Took a look at "plan B" but it was totally trashed. It's now 10 AM and I'm about ready to quit for the day. Decided to take a long downwind float and just see if I could pick out any potholes.....but nothing doing on that...still too dirty/high/windy/cloudy. So, here's where it get interesting. I just start throwing the little fingers out pined to the jig head and slowly retrieving.....In one long downwind run I picked off 4 really nice over slot trout. If I had kept my best 4 Trout today it would have been a mighty nice limit of fish. This was the first time I ever did that type thing and I'm more than impressed with the results. I'm not sure if the conditions helped that tactic but the Trout splatterpole fishermen always told me they prefer dirty water for Trout.....so...Maybe?

duckmanJR
09-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Well, after two strike outs in a row...I did catch some Reds today. The conditions are still in the crapper wind and water clarity wise... but at least there was some decent sunshine which helped alot.
I hit my bait spot and grabbed about 20 baits first thing. Headed to the upwind side of where I fished first thing yesterday...but it was readily apparent the bait was gone. Started throwing the Limetruese jig. The bite was non existant. In the first hour and 15 minutes I had jumped off one ladyfish...Ugh..painfully slow. Rather than do like Wednesday and try and make something happen there I opted to move. I decided to work an area that held trout yesterday...and luckily, they were still there. Nice size fish..not as good as yesterdays fish but very respectable. From 8:50 till 11:20 I made long downwind drifts tossing the fingers out on the jig head and bringing them in as slow as I could manage. In that two and a half hours I caught 9 trout... 4 Reds (3 small but one nice 23") and a Flounder to bring home. I also missed several hook-ups and had what I'm sure was another nice size Red on... but it shook off.
Not a great day...but not bad considering the slow start.