PDA

View Full Version : Tarpon in the lagoon?

Wild Life
07-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Well i couldn't find any... but i did end up with this... http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af318/Wildlifepics/th_IMGP0294.jpg
She was aprox 26lbs... Looks like it's gonna be another summer of the bulls...:cool

Indian River Joel
07-14-2011, 07:18 AM
Theres some big tarpon in some of the creeks like turkey and crane

sharkatak1089
07-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Go norther.

lumpy44
07-14-2011, 10:31 AM
artificial or live ? I 've been fishing the northern part and have been catching slots. but no bulls...

Oviedoav
07-14-2011, 04:53 PM
artificial or live ? I 've been fishing the northern part and have been catching slots. but no bulls...
I have caught all of my big ones on live mullet, or some really stanky half rotten mullet that I pulled out of the freezer. They loved it.

Art Vandelay
07-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Theres some big tarpon in some of the creeks like turkey and crane

and euegallie, but they rarely bite anything.

duckmanJR
07-15-2011, 12:42 PM

Come on now.....You have to know better than that....No fish gets big or stays alive unless it eats.... You may not have figured out that particular fishery...but I assure you that they can and do eat.

Panfishangler1
07-15-2011, 03:45 PM
TARPON spotted in Indian River Between Nasa Causeway and 528 Bridge :)

Art Vandelay
07-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Come on now.....You have to know better than that....No fish gets big or stays alive unless it eats.... You may not have figured out that particular fishery...but I assure you that they can and do eat.

They do eat, i've caught them before, they are just really finicky. If you ever fish the euegallie river you will see what I mean.

duckmanJR
07-16-2011, 12:47 AM
No different than the Sebastian river....and really no different than ANY Tarpon. The bite window may be short.

You can go to Boca Grande (I lived in the area) and you can be surrounded by rollers and not put a hook in any......

Wild Life
07-16-2011, 11:52 AM
TARPON spotted in Indian River Between Nasa Causeway and 528 Bridge :)

ahhh... thanks for the reminder! I totally forgot to look there. If i find any, i will confirm your report. Thanks again.

Big Dago
07-17-2011, 06:19 AM
Was in tarpon yesterday, first cast, hook up and land nice tarpon on a big pin fish, that was it for the day, there was rollers every where, threw everything we had in the boat at them, they just laughed at us. Some rolled so close to the boat you could have touched them.

PONCE
07-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Thats a heck of a Big Red, WTG :hail

Capt Pat
07-24-2011, 09:28 PM

They prefer live mullet, 6 to 8 inch.

1BadAction
07-28-2011, 03:31 PM
No different than the Sebastian river....and really no different than ANY Tarpon. The bite window may be short.

You can go to Boca Grande (I lived in the area) and you can be surrounded by rollers and not put a hook in any......

Exactly, and almost nothing is as irritating as being surrounded by poon with not even a look in your baits direction. I can't count how many times I've been on the Caloosahatchee in that situation. Throw topwater at tarpon, catch bass. :banghead

Tailingtide
07-28-2011, 04:05 PM

yeah no kidding...I did that EXACT thing last month both with fish out on the beach as well as up on the Hill and in the harbor. Hours and Hours of lazy rolling fish. Jumped one. On the other hand on Memorial Day weekend in 2000 I was outside Ponce Inlet and jumped 5 all on fly. Being trying to duplicate that every since and haven't come close. Welcome to tarpon fishing.

angler18
07-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Nice big breeder there, good job!

Times like these
08-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Not to steal thread but I just got back from Captiva and the tarpon were everywhere and anxious to eat my mire lures. Couldn't keep them in the water for 5 seconds without getting slammed. Crazy

Docked Wages
08-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Nice Red, lots of tarpon in the IRL. You just have to find them. Typically they hang around Rain run off after a good down poor. Turkey and Crane creek, Satellite beach canals and sebastain river host juvenile tarpon year round.