PDA

View Full Version : 7/9-7/10 Ancient City Kingfish Tournament

JaxBirddogg
07-11-2011, 12:17 PM
We had great conditions for the Ancient City both days. Bait was readily had on the beach and we managed to boat several kings both days. You couldn't of asked for better sea conditions too.

Saturday we had to move several times to find what we were looking for, but it worked out on the last spot we hit. We rolled in there late in the day and had one line out getting ready to put it down low when a king clobbered it. After a good fight we sunk the cold steel in him and headed to the weigh in. He went 24.50.

On Sunday the bite was so hot we literally only kept two lines out at times because we were getting worked by a school of hungry kings. Bait was everywhere, the temperature was right and the kings were hungry. Around 1 our king hit the long line and stripped off a couple hundred yards like it was nothing. We knew he was a good fish so we settled in for the fight. We finessed him to the boat but we couldn't get him into gaff range when he was doing his death spiral for what seemed like hours. All the thoughts of hook pulls and broken wire start flowing into your mind so it was difficult to focus. Finally he came into range and we sunk it in. After a bunch of high-fives we stowed the gear, grabbed a few golden sodas for the road and headed to the weigh-in. He went 29.60 and was good enough for 4th. Following a 5th in the Kingbuster, we are obviously riding a bit of good luck right now. I hope it stays with me for the GJKT. Massive appreciation goes to my crew who put up with an intensely meticulous task master in the boat.

I've learned everything I know by watching fishermen that are way better than me. I never realized the learning curve was this steep in king fishing. No Slack, Reel Cowboy, Reel Passion, Double Standard, the C&H boys. Thanks!!! :beer

Boattronics
07-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Way to go bro! Man I wish I knew where you were fishing.... sounds like you found WAY better action than we did. (I know where you were NOT at lol.) An autopilot on our boat would have been sweet too......

Reeltight
07-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Way to go! congrats on the 4th place finnish!!...After finding tons of bait...finding a fish with any size was a struggle...after weeding through many cookie cutter 10 lbers was able to put a 19.05 on the board. Was in the money (9th) until all the big boats from down south came in. It was fun and a great tournament.

Slough
07-11-2011, 12:54 PM
:beer Congrats and sounds like a grand time!

Sunday's money
07-11-2011, 01:06 PM
jax birddogg congrats on both finishes thats a solid fish keep puttin them on the deck
reel tight sounds like you found the fish just waiting on the big one congrats bro

Haven't been in 3 weeks hoping to go this weekend is there any bait around mayport

knotenough
07-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Good job jax bird dog! Good to see the fish are back (for now) and it was nice that we caught what we did.

Tony,

Need some experience on that boat? lol Let me know!

Phinatical
07-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Way to go bro! Man I wish I knew where you were fishing.... sounds like you found WAY better action than we did. (I know where you were NOT at lol.) An autopilot on our boat would have been sweet too......
I don't even move between spots without engaging mine. I always say the ONLY downside to it is it doesn't chip in on the expense split at the end of the day but it is truly like having another man on board.

no slack
07-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Man you guys had it going on for sure! It seemed like everytime we looked over you were hooked up. We needed some "MO JOE" on our boat. We had a blast fishing with yall cant wait for the next one!

JaxBirddogg
07-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Boattronics

We had to keep bouncing around to avoid the cold water. I think I ran that little Whaler to death. BTW, I can never have another boat without a pilot. I can now drink a beer without it going flat on our way to the next spot. Works great too. Thanks.

Sunday's money

jax birddogg congrats on both finishes thats a solid fish keep puttin them on the deck
reel tight sounds like you found the fish just waiting on the big one congrats bro

Haven't been in 3 weeks hoping to go this weekend is there any bait around mayport

Don't know about Mayport. Heck, I haven't fished out of my home port in over a week. Took a little while to find a decent bait pod in St. Auggy though. Alot of the bait was scattered and difficult to catch. Beach was cold too. 70-71 degrees!!! Thanks for the kind words.

no slack

Man you guys had it going on for sure! It seemed like everytime we looked over you were hooked up. We needed some "MO JOE" on our boat. We had a blast fishing with yall cant wait for the next one!

We did too James. Great teamwork this season. I'm just getting lucky. Keep digging, the bite will come to you, because you guys work way too hard. Thanks again!!!!

Appreciate the other comments.

wattever
07-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Congrats Joe awesome job on a 4th and a 5th back to back! next tourney 3rd or better good luck!

CEE-STUD
07-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Congrats! Great to hear that the fish may be starting to show up. Probably will try it after all the tournaments are over with and some decent info will be available.

Red Dawg 34
07-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Man, you are learning way too quick! Congratulations on another top 5 finish.

Russ
Reel Passion

Boattronics
07-12-2011, 08:05 AM
We had to keep bouncing around to avoid the cold water. I think I ran that little Whaler to death. BTW, I can never have another boat without a pilot. I can now drink a beer without it going flat on our way to the next spot. Works great too. Thanks.

Very welcome, maaaan I wish we had one, our two man crew was tough the other day. Keep up the great work Joe!

Knotenough..... lets talk fishing, we could really use an (king experianced) crew member.

Converted
07-13-2011, 07:50 AM
Great job Joe, you apparently have something figured out this year that most of us haven't. Hopefully your luck will carry you through the rest of the year. Now if I could just figure out what is fact and fiction in your report I would be good. Ha, ha, ha.

JaxBirddogg
07-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Thanks Russ, Earl, Casey, Cee-stud. Casey, I told you, I never lie to you, only to your fishing partner. Now that he's decided to fish on your boat you are trying to combine what I told you with what I told him. That won't work..lol. I'll share info anytime. You know where I fish, just look at your radar...haha.