PDA

View Full Version : 7-11 IRL Report

Indian River Joel
07-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Flounder in July?

We are catching some monster flounder in the IRL in July! This has been a weird year for the IRL, but in a good way. You can pull in a flounder on one cast and yank out a snook a few casts later. It has been crazy! This past week has brought in a little bit of everything including flounder, snook, trout, reds, blues, jacks, and ladyfish.

The water temp is cooler then usual, but the fish still know that is summer and the bite tends to die off a little bit during the heat of the day. So get out early! The water has been very dirty due to all the rain we have been getting. That means you need to pick darker colored lures, rootbeer and dark green have been working really well. I have always been an advocate for TerrorEyz by DOA, and they have been excellent lately. I love using them in dirty water because of the baitfish flash that they make.

"Indian River" Joel
321-402-9881
www.wadefishingflorida.com

duckmanJR
07-11-2011, 12:33 PM
You mean like these?.....

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/duckmanjr1481/decoys008.jpg

For scale, the moving box is 20 inches ....

The slick looking one just came out of my release well...the other two were from yesterday and slept in the fridge overnite....

Missed the "gaff shot" LOL on one other today....

DuPont
07-11-2011, 01:52 PM
:hail
Great flounder sir!!! some of my favorite for the table.

Indian River Joel
07-11-2011, 02:06 PM
You mean like these?.....

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/duckmanjr1481/decoys008.jpg

For scale, the moving box is 20 inches ....

The slick looking one just came out of my release well...the other two were from yesterday and slept in the fridge overnite....

Missed the "gaff shot" LOL on one other today....

Exactly! I bought a waterproof camera the other day so hopefully I will start getting more pics

duckmanJR
07-11-2011, 04:58 PM
I only get "at home" pics....wife won't let me handle the camera without CLOSE adult supervision!

sharkatak1089
07-11-2011, 05:05 PM
HAHA duck, put your relationship pants on. can't believe you kept those three tater chips :bucktoothsmileything:

duckmanJR
07-11-2011, 07:37 PM
HAHA duck, put your relationship pants on. can't believe you kept those three tater chips :bucktoothsmileything:

Doesn't really matter...Without her I can't figure out how to post them anyway.
And after 34 years of marriage....she can be boss of the camera...I have other higher priorities.

PS...I LOVE tater chips....;)

nolesnum01
07-12-2011, 02:44 PM
This may be a stupid question. How do you find the the pictures in these post's ?

duckmanJR
07-12-2011, 03:08 PM
This may be a stupid question. How do you find the the pictures in these post's ?

Not sure what you're asking...Isn't the photo of the flounders showing up on your computer?

As far as "finding" them...I took it...posted it to my photobucket account...and pasted the IMG code in the post.

nolesnum01
07-12-2011, 03:12 PM
NO PICS SHOWING. VERY SELDOM , DO I SEE ANY PICS ON THESE POSTS. IS THEIR A ICON THAT I SHOULD BE CLICKING ON TO OPEN THEM UP ?

duckmanJR
07-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Nope, It should be there without doing anything....maybe a setting on your computer filtering them out?

nolesnum01
07-12-2011, 04:49 PM
I WILL CHECK IT OUT. THANKS.

Indian River Joel
07-13-2011, 08:59 AM
They may block Photobuck and imageshack on your firewall if you are viewing them from a work computer

Ryanc
07-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Nice work! What waterproof camera did you end up with? I got a Fuji a little while back that is water/dust/freeze and shock proof. It also takes HD video and Im very happy with it.

Ryanc
07-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Also, I see that you say to use dark colors in the dirty water, which is what Ive always heard (cant say that Ive understood it) lol but another member that Ive asked says to use loud colors (Im assuming chartrusse would qualify).

Im not trying to say that either of you are wrong, because I know youve got lots of experience that has helped you come up with those ideas, Im just curious about the logic of your opinions. Ill try both and formulate my own opinion, but was hoping you guys could shed a little light on that theory for me. Thanks

Indian River Joel
07-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Fish seem to match with the water color so in darker water, baitfish will natually get darker.

Also the other part of it, I got from Mark Nichols of DOA. His theory is that a dark colored lure is more of a blur and as long as it kicks up the muck on the bottom a fish will believe its food. It could be a shrimp, or crab or a little baitfish but either way the fish is going to bite it.

duckmanJR
07-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Ryan, I've found certain things are true for me in this area. When the water gets real dirty ( *NOT* Tannin...DIRTY) I have found that colors like Electric Chicken, Limetruse, Chartruse seem to work better.... My son swears by pumpkinseed/chart tail....and it works well too.
Also, If your main quarry is trout....white is the default color.....works under almost all situations.

Tannin stained.... I like to have gold in whatever I'm throwing....Black back/gold sides or if it is off color AND tannin...Limetruse with gold fleck.

If the water is fairly clean (clear) I will go with natural baitfish patterns.....Black back/white belly, Mullet, Watermellon/red fleck or black fleck and early this year I was doing very well with mirrolure soft sardine (3") In both "opening night" and "Pinfish".

Night time.....and I know this sounds counter-intuitive...but it works....Dark colors....I use the M/L "Morning glory" which looks like black with multi color fleck with a chart tail. My buddy who is a real night time light tackle/flats expert only throws Watermellon.

Honestly, The confidence you have in the color means more than the color itself..... but this is what I go with.

duckmanJR
07-13-2011, 03:15 PM
His theory is that a dark colored lure is more of a blur

Not at my retrieve speed.....

Ryanc
07-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Cool, Thanks for the info guys!

Indian River Joel
07-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Honestly, The confidence you have in the color means more than the color itself..... but this is what I go with.

Very true

Oviedoav
07-13-2011, 11:12 PM
I think that you need to be logged in to see them. Works for me.

flatsjunkie88
07-14-2011, 05:59 PM
How do the terroreyz work on grass flats? Do they pick up alot of grass?