PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 150 four stroke owners take notice

gatormark
04-15-2012, 08:58 AM
there is a major failure issue with the harmonic balancer on these in line four strokes. My buddies shop has done well over a hundred but yamaha is not making it a recall issue, dont know why. If you own one get it to your dealer and tell them you noticed a high pitch whine in the motor, the nylon gears are failing. My motor is a 2005 with only 81 hrs but they failed to warranty it, they know there is an issue so I think I will contact the rep with my complaint.

Idlewilde
04-15-2012, 09:38 AM
My guess is that no engine manufacturer will honor or warranty a problem on a 7 year old engine. It will be interesting to see . . . . . . . . . . .

gatormark
04-15-2012, 09:57 AM
The problem goes back to motors built before that time, yammie has an ISSUE with this balancer and they know it. They also know there are more of these out there than any other model 150 so its been hush hush. I was in the outboard repair business for 17 plus yrs certified by merc,omc and yammie. There are warranties called policie where the customer eats the labor and the man eats the parts. OMC was very good about it if I assured them the unit was well maintained and a loyal customer.

maxim1010
04-15-2012, 01:25 PM
I gotta agree with idle, you expect a nearly 8 year motor to still be under warranty??? Also what the name of your buddies shop that has done "over 100"? Seems like a reach...

I owned a F150 and it was BULLETPROOF, without a doubt the most trouble free motor in ever! There's a reason it's the world's #1 selling motor. It's my understanding it outsells #2 motor by twice!

CaptTater
04-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Shop here has a stack of 20 or so waiting for the next one. I asked him why so many... You guessed it.

maxim1010
04-15-2012, 02:20 PM
tater, what kind of motor(s) you own by chance?

Shop here has a stack of 20 or so waiting for the next one. I asked him why so many... You guessed it.

gatormark
04-16-2012, 07:12 AM
Uhhhhhhhhhh, not making this up, there is a issue here dont care how many 150,s you have owned. And regardless of years old, the hrs are waht really matters now right. Ever hear of 10 yrs or a 150000miles? Anyway do what ya want with this info, ya keep running it you may find yourself 50 miles from the ramp broke down.

JKP
04-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Well now that I know this I am afraid to use my boat again. Anyone got an old Mercury 150 or maybe a carbed Johnson they want to trade straight up for my Yamaha F150 with 200 hours?

gatormark
04-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Got pictures of the failed part but why post them, you can let me know when ya break down 30 miles from the ramp .

gruntking
04-16-2012, 04:21 PM
I had the same thing. 500 hrs on a 2005 F150. $500 repair. San Carlos Marine. No big deal. Had I taken it in several years ago when I first heard the "whine" it would have been warrantied. Live and learn. Supposedly after 2005, the balancers are an alloy not plastic. SCM has only had one with a catastrophic failure. All 2004 and 2005 motors (F150) will need them replaced.

gatormark
04-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Uhhhhhhhhh, later models also have the issue,as new as 2010 hello. Just spoke to theyre rep, they requested a copy of the work order. Like I said, its an issue.

INTREPID377
04-16-2012, 04:41 PM
My motor is a 2005 with only 81 hrs

Maybe the problem is exacerbated by lack of use? :wink

Seriously, this is a good tip for what's apparently a real problem. Warranty issues aside, if I had a F150 I'd be grateful you posted.

gruntking
04-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Uhhhhhhhhh, later models also have the issue,as new as 2010 hello. Just spoke to theyre rep, they requested a copy of the work order. Like I said, its an issue.

Then get it fixed. If a 2010 has the issue, it's under warranty.

Joey Buttons
04-16-2012, 05:25 PM
What does it cost to fix if you are out of warranty ?

gatormark
04-16-2012, 05:33 PM
As I said before, 30 miles offshore and it breaks, who cares if its warranteed at this point in time? YOU ARE SCREWED. I sometimes wonder why people have dropped from the forum, now i know. A guy with 17 plus yrs in outboard repair makes a post trying to help folks out and you get smarta$$ replies from wise a$$es. Have at it kids, good boating.

INTREPID377
04-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Hey! I said something nice along WITH my wise a$$ remark. You ain't mad at me too are ya hoss?

gatormark
04-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Hey! I said something nice along WITH my wise a$$ remark. You ain't mad at me too are ya hoss?

Not at all trep, Im just trying to save folks a few bucks and a bad day offshore or 10 miles south of lostmans if ya know what I mean. And the 81 hrs on the kicker? when I got the boat from my freind it had 23 hrs on it at 4 yrs old. His ole Daddy lost the battle to cancer and he had a hard time parting with the boat. Its stayed in thyre fab shop under a cover for two years. I made him a fair offer on it and he parted with the boat, its a cream puff, 70 % fresh water before I got it. I told him your Daddy would kick you in the butt if he knew you let the boat set so I got it. Anywho.....just trying to help folks out, I was in the biz foir awhile and just like to help out. Later.

maxim1010
04-16-2012, 06:13 PM
You got smart *** remarks cause your post deserved it. EVERY motor can and will break down, you take a minor issue YOU had and claim major problems on every F150, etc,etc. Thats the great thing about the internet if someone has a problem anyone can blow it completely outta proportion! If you don't like the motor, fix it and sell it. The demand for this motor is incredible. I hear FICHTs are pretty good motors...lol

gruntking
04-16-2012, 06:19 PM
As I said before, 30 miles offshore and it breaks, who cares if its warranteed at this point in time? YOU ARE SCREWED. I sometimes wonder why people have dropped from the forum, now i know. A guy with 17 plus yrs in outboard repair makes a post trying to help folks out and you get smarta$$ replies from wise a$$es. Have at it kids, good boating.

Wow, lol.

gruntking
04-16-2012, 06:30 PM
What does it cost to fix if you are out of warranty ?

Mine was $529.

CaptTater
04-16-2012, 06:33 PM
The problem goes back to motors built before that time, yammie has an ISSUE with this balancer and they know it. They also know there are more of these out there than any other model 150 so its been hush hush. I was in the outboard repair business for 17 plus yrs certified by merc,omc and yammie. There are warranties called policie where the customer eats the labor and the man eats the parts. OMC was very good about it if I assured them the unit was well maintained and a loyal customer.
Hmm not sure why it matters but:
2x300hpdis that have been all but flawless despite going under water. Just lost a lower unit as my first real repair.
Tracked down and now have a contract on a World Cat 330 with 2x300hpdis since the others did so well for me.
I would rather have verados but I've never seen either regs or WCs with them Suzuki's and Hondas seem like a service nightmare.

gruntking
04-16-2012, 06:41 PM
2x300hpdis that have been all but flawless despite going under water. Just lost a lower unit as my first real repair.
Tracked down and now have a contract on a World Cat 330 with 2x300hpdis since the others did so well for me.
I would rather have verados but I've never seen either regs or WCs with them Suzuki's and Hondas seem like a service nightmare.

Wow, Tater, you've really come around on the Yamaha's, lol! I'm shocked.

FS Dan
04-16-2012, 09:09 PM
GatorMark Thanks for the information. Not sure why your getting any flak for your posting. You even had a guy say the same thing happened to him. No Brand is perfect especially when you move through entire lineups like you get in a shop enviroment. Some have such blind brand loyalty that they feel insulted if you tread on what they feel is sancrosanc(sacred). Its obviously something to check on if you actually own one.

CMD

CaptTater
04-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Wow, Tater, you've really come around on the Yamaha's, lol! I'm shocked.

I wouldn't go that far but these have been good. I still hate the company charging $500 for a Mitsubishi starter or $100 for a damn filter and limited 3rd party parts like Arco. I would likely never choose new yamahas by choice.

gatormark
04-17-2012, 07:02 AM
You are welcome cat, the reason I have caught flak is the children on this forum dont appreciate help when its handed to them. As I said, I have 17 plus years as a certified outboard tech in OMC,Merrc and Yamaha. I also know how issues are swept under the rug by ALL of the manufactures so I was trying to save a few folks a bad day on the water. Has this issue caused major damage? yep. Being that its yammies best selling kicker do they want to recall it? nope. Imagine that. Your right though, some yuppies feel like you are calling them a dumbass because they run that brand along with wearing the gear with the logos which cracks me up.There is one thing about internet forums, its mostly youngsters who use them and some of these youngsters have little manners, a failure in theyre upbringing common in todays generation.

GatorMark Thanks for the information. Not sure why your getting any flak for your posting. You even had a guy say the same thing happened to him. No Brand is perfect especially when you move through entire lineups like you get in a shop enviroment. Some have such blind brand loyalty that they feel insulted if you tread on what they feel is sancrosanc(sacred). Its obviously something to check on if you actually own one.

CMD

JKP
04-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Hey Mark, do you have any experience in the outboard repair industry? You may have already posted it half a dozen times but I probably missed it....

Southern Style
04-17-2012, 11:38 AM
I'm with Gator on this one. I had twin 2007 F150's with about 300 hrs when the port engine started to generate a slight vibration. It wasn't terrible but was noticable when compairing to the starboard engine. They were due for a service so ask the tech to check it out...bad balancer. Was replaced under warranty, two months later same story with starboard engine. Would I buy another F150... without hesitation. Yamaha honored the warranty and all was well. At the least, it's worth being aware of the symptoms to address any issues before a failure.

yamdog250
04-17-2012, 11:53 AM
My last motor was the 150 and I had the exact same issues being discussed by the OP. Very frustrating. I changed rides just to be done with it. The 250 has been flawless, but it's an HPDI, not the four stroke.

surfman
04-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Yea I know two people with them one is the older one and he had to have his HB replaced, caught it just in time. The other buddy has a brand new 150 and had to take it into the shop with 17 hours on it, oil leaking out the lower end.

Bluebird
04-17-2012, 02:34 PM
i too had the balancer go out on my whip after about 800 hrs. But when it went so did the whole engine. Luckily Yamaha and i came to an agreement where they provided parts and i paid the service. 9k in parts later i have a new motor :banana bill to me was about 2k.

gatormark
04-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Sonny, I forgot more about outboards and boats than you will ever,ever know. Which by the way aint much. Hows the livin in Gadsen County by the way?

Hey Mark, do you have any experience in the outboard repair industry? You may have already posted it half a dozen times but I probably missed it....

Bite N Hold
04-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Had mine done just out of warranty and Yamaha took care of it on both motors. It is an issue. I have seen them when they break apart.....not pretty!!!!

FS Dan
04-17-2012, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't go that far but these have been good. I still hate the company charging $500 for a Mitsubishi starter or $100 for a damn filter and limited 3rd party parts like Arco. I would likely never choose new yamahas by choice.

Tater, I often thought it would be cool to have a site to go to, that would give you the cost of an engine if you had to buy each peice based on their individual cost. I thought about it after hearing that the $47k corvette was something like $350K if you bought the peices and put it together your self. It would definately not be something the manufacturers would like to see, But it would allow buyers to see what future out of warranty repairs could cost. It would also allow us to see who the biggest parts theives really are.

CMD

With those Yammi's you could say the reg was worth $250k:grin

CaptTater
04-18-2012, 01:14 AM
Well, they added up all the electrics on my 300s recently. $12k per motor.

ziffle
04-18-2012, 06:28 AM
I know 1 person who has a F150, 2004 model and his HB went out at 200 hours, yeah it's a problem that yamaha is not taking care of properly. Oh, and I own yamahas.

gatormark
04-18-2012, 07:17 AM
Well, well. This thread seems to be growing and the problem is real:huh Imagine that. Yammie needs to bite the bullet and take care of all of the 150,s that are out there, period.Its one thing to have a problem but how you handle it is what the customer will always remember.

I know 1 person who has a F150, 2004 model and his HB went out at 200 hours, yeah it's a problem that yamaha is not taking care of properly. Oh, and I own yamahas.

gatormark
04-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Latest from Yamaha " Yeah we know we have a problem sir. All we will do is give you a cost plus 10% on the part,you eat the labor. I told the guy I had less than 8-0 hrs on it, his reply, now get this folks. Well Sir being that you are from a mechanical background humor me for a moment. The lack of run time means the harmonic balancer does not receive enough oil on the gears hence making the gears fail. WHAT DID YOU SAY!!!!!! I told the guy he should run for congress and that was as lame a theory as I have ever heard. I also said, if you notice mr yammie rep, I purchased extended warranty from you gusy and this motor has NEVER had a claim, due to the fact of the low freakin hrs on it. he said " my response sir is no help on it, no parts,no labor period. THIS PROBLEM exixts on current motors also and I wonder if a external harmonic balancer is just a failed design straight across the board. To my knowledge its the only model yammie uses an external balancer. Be aware if you buy one of these kickers. BTW.....SOME DEALERS ARE NOT GIVING OUT OF WARRANTY CUSTOMERS THE DISCOUNT ON THE PARTS, BEWARE OF GETTING GOUGED BY SOME YAMMIE DEALERS. tHE ORIG LIST ON THE PART WAS 700.00, THE DISCOUNT IS AROUND 350.00. A f

JKP
04-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Sonny, I forgot more about outboards and boats than you will ever,ever know. Which by the way aint much. Hows the livin in Gadsen County by the way?

I guess you are missing the subtle hints - I am not suggesting you know nothing about motors or that I do, just making fun of the fact that you find it necessary to boast about it in every other post. I do suspect I've got you covered on geography and spelling since Tallahassee is in Leon County. The "livin" in Gadsden County (correct spelling for those keeping score at home) is just fine though.

No one is disputing the HB issue - it is old news. I just don't believe it to be as pervasive as you suggest. Google that word if you need to....

gatormark
04-20-2012, 07:13 AM
JKP........you a member of congress, your BS says you are. Bragging? thats a joke right?As far as it being old news,yamaha has not even posted a service report on this issue,its called sweeping it under the rug, something Tally residents know alot about.

JKP
04-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Old news:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/252974-f-150-balancer-issues.html

Being such an expert on all things related to outboard motors, I'm sure you've known about the issue for years now.

JKP
04-20-2012, 09:06 PM
By the way, it's call the Legislature at the state level. Congress is in DC.

We can keep up this battle of wits if you want, but I'll need to get a third grader to pinch hit for me.

gatormark
04-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Battle of wits with you? kidding right? Daddy always told me never get into a battle of wits with a man with an empty gun. The whole point here( that you have mised from the git go) is Yamaha did not recall these, nor did they even post a service bulletin to theyre dealers. Most manufacturers post a service bulletin at the first sign of a repetitive issue,yamaha did not. Point being they swept it under the rug to save bucks. You sure you dont live around coon bottom?

HuntressJax
04-21-2012, 03:31 PM

I had twin 200 hpdis that blew powerheads every 150 hours, 7 times!! Yamaha spent a week testing the boat and left with no answers. Initially I was accused of being a commercial fisherman and an abuser of the motors but when the computer data was retrieved their accusations where baseless. Sold boat and run cummins diesels now.

Billgran
04-21-2012, 07:53 PM
is Yamaha did not recall these, nor did they even post a service bulletin to theyre dealers. Most manufacturers post a service bulletin at the first sign of a repetitive issue,yamaha did not. Point being they swept it under the rug to save bucks.

The F150 balancer problem was explained to the dealers in 2007 when they came out with the improved versions. At the service schools and the annual service update seminars, the noise symptoms of bad balancers was explained and demonstrated in a video.

Page 2-6 of the technician's 2008 Technical Update book that trained mechanics received shows pics and procedures how to change out the balancer assembly without pulling half the motor apart.

If your Yamaha dealer techs attended the factory training and read the literature, they would have known all about it 5 years ago.

gatormark
04-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Thats how we found out about it. Still, no service bulletin? Please. Hey, like one dealer told me last week, they are riding high right now and can afford to sweep it under the rug. No matter.

Dazigg
04-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Regardless of the pissing matches that seem to flood this forum, thanks for posting. I don't own a Yamaha, but the premise of the forum is supposed to be about sharing knowledge and experience. If this helps out one fellow boater than it was worth posting.

mustang190
04-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Did I see in a post that Yamaha uses plastic for a harmonic balancer??? Your kidding! right?

gatormark
04-23-2012, 07:09 AM
Nylon gears against a steel gear.

Bite N Hold
04-23-2012, 10:03 AM
Another known issue is the Oil Pump failure with the speedi sleeve fix. Another "yeah we know it's a problem....but you have to fix it.....$1000 please." Yamaha is failing at customer service!!!!!

gatormark
04-24-2012, 07:02 AM
Theyre spending too much on ads and not enough on R & D, thats what broke OMC,s arse a few years ago. If you have an issue make it right, more important make it fair. They are on the top right now with the four stroke tech and can afford to toss customers out the window. I have told several people about these issues with 150,s and they are calling the japs out on whether it has truly been fixed before they buy.

surfman
05-01-2012, 07:47 AM
Update on my buddies new F150, he just repowered his flats boat with a new Yamaha 150 4s and after “break in” he noticed oil leaking out of the prop. Not gear oil, motor oil. Decided to take it back to the dealer that rigged it. Turns out the lower cylinder was severely scored and the power head needed to be replaced. Of course this is all under warranty and it was taken care of and they said they would restart the warranty, basically added 3 months back on. Any way just goes to show anything can happen with any motor. So next week end he will start breaking it in again.

Pat L
05-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Ok, let me start off by saying this may be my first post on here but I have been reading FS forums for years. I normally stay out of these kinds of threads but lately there seems to be more and more of them and not just regarding Yamaha but all of the manufacturers. I have been in the marine repair industry for 31 years, its all I have done all of my life since I was 15. I was at one time an OMC Master Tech and was and still am one of the first Yamaha Master Techs in the country. Some of you on here know me and know more about my back ground than I need or want to get into. I do not have any affiliation with Yamaha or any other manufacturers. I work at a dealership in central florida. Lets just say I know a lot about Yamaha. I am not trying to bash anyone on here I am just airing my frustration with what many people think or believe should be covered by the manufacturer and for how long. The original post was on a 2005 model engine, 7 yrs old!!! It doesnt matter how many hours are on it its still 7 yrs old. Where in the warranty does it say anything about hours used? Yes, it is a known problem with that model and its called a balanceshaft assembly not a harmonic balancer, they are 2 different things. If you look at your flywheel you will notice a black ring around it that is bonded to it by rubber, this can be considered a harmonic balancer. The balance shaft assembly mounts to the front of the block and is gear driven off of the crank, it spins at twice the crankshaft speed, so if your motor is turning 6000rpms its turning 12000rpms. It helps smooth out the pulses the engine generates as this is a 2.6ltr 4 cylinder motor, thats as big as many V6s so it does have some inherent vibration. Yes, it does have a type of nylon gear that drives off of the metal crank gear, my guess for it being that way is for noise. Many car engines use this type of balance shafts for the same purpose. There are many things on many engines including car engines that are plastic, ever seen a plastic camshaft? They exist and work quite well but this motor nor any of Yamahas larger engines use them. The early style assemblies did have bearing and gear issues and there have been a couple revisions of them and so far the latest one seems to be holding up well, it came out a couple years ago and I have not seen any fail. Like Bill Grannis stated, the dealers were told about this in the annual update seminars and in a tech guide. They were even shown a video with the sound so they knew what the noise was. I still have engines come into my shop making the noise that were just serviced at another dealer and they were making the noise, there are still many techs out there that dont know or dont care about the sound and blow it off as a normal sound, they just service the engine and let it go. Why they do this I dont know, some dealers dont send their techs to training and the manufacturers can only do so much to get the info to the dealer. You would be surprised how many techs never see a bulletin when it comes out. Most times the owner doesnt notice the sound as it starts gradually until the assembly does completely fail and takes out the whole powerhead. Many times its an engine that the customer or a non dealer has been servicing and doesnt know what they are hearing and blow it off as normal, another reason to have your engine serviced by a pro. I have seen them fail in as little as 10 hours to up to 400-500 hours and as bad as just being noisy to complete failure. Now, lets go way back to the late 70s and early 80s, you OMC old timers will remember the V4-V6 motors that had the high ring pistons from 77-79ish. A very well known problem which led to a major powerhead failure usually after a couple years of use. Hmmm, wait the warranty back then was only 1 year, I dont remember any of those failed powerheads out of warranty being covered by OMC. How many of you guys owned an older Mercury and had a stator go bad or a switch box or an OMC have a powerpack go out? Known problem? @!#$ yeah it was. Were they warrantied after that one year, probably not. I still see problems on newer merc and BRPs that were issues over 10 years ago. Now we have engines that are warrantied for 3 years and you can get 3 more years on top of that but still thats not good enough we want them covered forever. Yes for many years Yamaha and I'm sure merc and omc/brp would goodwill some things out of warranty but most of that is gone, times are tight in the corporate world, believe me I know. This assembly used to be over $700 and dropped to around $300 about a year ago. Labor is usually 1.5 to 2.0 hour labor. If the dealer is charging you the old price, find another dealer. To me I have nothing to gain by warrantying one or the customer paying for it, I make the same either way, but I am happy to warranty anything that I believe should be covered and report it to the manufacture as thats how they know there is an issue. OK, Im off my soap box now so flame away, I'm sure there is more I can say to keep you going and if there is anyway I can help anyone let me know but I would rather it be in a PM.

FS Dan
05-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Hi Pat, thanks for your post. Very informative, I hope you will grace us with more. Having your experience with engines, i am sure you will have a few PM's with questions coming your way.

CMD

TimR
06-08-2012, 02:16 PM
GatorMark, thanks for posting this up! I did a little more research and turns out I had many of the same symtoms. Boat is in the shop and Yamaha is covering all repairs. My motor is in the last year of the extended warranty and your post most likely saved me many $$ at a later date.

Captain Adams
06-10-2012, 01:29 AM
Is my new 2012 F150 with 25 hours at risk?

tuna man
06-10-2012, 08:21 AM
He's taking flak because he can't take a joke. I do agree though Cat, it definitely warrants checking into. I still see more yammis than all other brands combined on the water.

Pat L
06-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Is my new 2012 F150 with 25 hours at risk?

Your motor should have the newer style in it and should be ok

gatormark
06-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Some dealers are chargeing full price for parts and labor on these balancers when yamaha is offering them at a huge discount so watch out how your yamaha dealer is treating you folks. Seems the good guys are chargeing around 400 while some as high as 900 plus.

Pat L
06-11-2012, 06:58 PM
The current retail price is 330.00 and i usually replace the rubber caps also as it takes longer to clean the old sealer off of them than what they cost. They are 5.25 each and labor should be around 1.5 hours. I would really like to know what dealer is charging 900 to do this.

tunaman
06-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Gatormark, you need another dealer. first who warranties a 2005 motor. Arent extended warranties 6 yrs? Went to my dealer, the best in Florida, Gerrys Marine in Florida. They are in New Smyrna. Contrary to what I believe was the OP, there has been several bulletins on this thru the years. But if you're like me, that does my own service, I never heard of it. IF the warranty is still in effect, Yamaha DOES pay for it, 100% Gerrys said bring it by we'll have mech. listen to it. Mine is is 06 out of warranty. I had the opportunity to put the extended warranty on it when I bought it in 07, I declined so now, I'm supposed to be upset, no! Mine needs changing, mech. pointed out a little noise to me that I hadn't noticed. It has 680 hrs. He said its ok to go to the keys, has heard them a LOT noisier.. Mine does NOT have a high pitch whine, it is a rythmatic kind of soft thumping sound. Also Yamaha is using the 3rd manufacturer of this part and feel the problem is cured. Also some said the part alone is $900!!!! WOW, whoever THAT dealer is they're raping you. Yamaha has been dropping the price for yrs. Its now down to $345 my cost at dealer. A couple hrs labor, 2 seals. Not giving price quoted to me but for the $900 someone posted, I'll sell them to you $450 all day long! Oh, the mechanic said he had NEVER seen a motor blown up over this. Sure, If I ignore this, let it get so bad its POUNDING and hold it wide open, it will probably blow. Again, part $345, a couple hrs labor.And remember, a high pitch whine is NOT the balancer. Probably the drive shaft bearing. I am thankful the OP put this post on, I just feel he's kinda blowing it up a little. Wonder what his dealership sells??

Pat L
06-12-2012, 12:07 AM
The balancer will make a make kind of a whirling sound, its kind of hard to describe. Cant say I have heard one with a thumping sound but I guess they could do it. And yes they can take out a powerhead if not taken care of. The driveshaft bushing makes a squealing sound that sounds like a belt slipping, your oil pump seals rubbing on the crank and drive shaft can make these same sounds if they are not lubed. I know Bob the tech at Gerrys, good guy and good dealer. They will take care of you.

tuna man
06-12-2012, 02:26 AM
It's kinda funny Pat, I bet it's been a couple rs since I heard the squeal sound, only I'd it a few mins and quit? Maybe just lucky. You're iChat, it sounded exactly like a belt slipping. When I see above I'll tell him what you said. I'm sure you're just as good, and others are also.

Pat L
06-12-2012, 08:53 AM
Yes, the driveshaft bushing or seals squealing will come and go, usually after making a run then returning to idle. They will squeal for a while then go away. These are supposed to get greased when doing the water pump. Many times the bushing will quit making the noise as it wears and creates its own clearance.

O.SEA.D
06-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Thanks for posting this is good information for people to be aware of.

If you are looking at a used boat can a Yami mechanic easily diagnose the issue without doing major tear down on the motor? Folks shopping used need to do their due diligence for this issue.

Pat L
06-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Yes, all it takes if running it on a hose and as long as the tech knows what to listen for he can tell as soon as it starts.

tunaman
06-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Thanks Pat, next time I drop the lower unit I'll see if I have brains enough to grease them!!!

gatormark
06-13-2012, 07:45 AM
The current retail price is 330.00 and i usually replace the rubber caps also as it takes longer to clean the old sealer off of them than what they cost. They are 5.25 each and labor should be around 1.5 hours. I would really like to know what dealer is charging 900 to do this.

My hunting partner got the quote from a dealer in winter haven, I will let you figure out the rest. And to the guys saying I should not whine about my motor being out of warranty............this 05 motor has less than 50 hrs on it so ya I have a legit ***** with yamaha.

Doc Stressor
06-13-2012, 08:41 AM
The bushing noise won't start up with a cold engine run on a hose unless it is really bad. I've had a dealer check mine twice and they can't warranty the problem unless they hear the noise. Mine only makes the sound after I come down after a run.

They'll fix mine in another 90 hr when I have the impeller changed.

tuna man
06-14-2012, 02:55 AM
My hunting partner got the quote from a dealer in winter haven, I will let you figure out the rest. And to the guys saying I should not whine about my motor being out of warranty............this 05 motor has less than 50 hrs on it so ya I have a legit ***** with yamaha.
My new truck has 5yrs/100,000 mile warranty. A warranty is an agreement between purchaser and seller, so when the truck reaches 5yrs, 1 day from date of purchase, the warranty is over.

gatormark
06-14-2012, 07:42 AM
WHATEVER When I was the service mngr at a large OMC dealership I got a ton of " out of warranty" work covered for customers who maintained theyre equip and where good customers. All I had to do was send OMC the customers service records and they would back the motor up. I dont give a rats arse about agreements betweeen customers and dealers/mnfrs nOK? My wife had two yr old michelins on her toyota and a issue came up with a sidewall, the tires had 5000miles on them ....................Michelin backed it up with no problem. Ya see men, hrs of running time IS THE KEY FACTOR here.And when a customer lays out his hard earned cash to but your product YOU TAKE CARE OF HIM. At least thats the way we do things here in small town Fla.

My new truck has 5yrs/100,000 mile warranty. A warranty is an agreement between purchaser and seller, so when the truck reaches 5yrs, 1 day from date of purchase, the warranty is over.

Pat L
06-14-2012, 08:40 AM
There was a time when manufacturers would cover a lot of things out of warranty as goodwill, but times are a lot tighter now. Once something hits about 6 months out, thats it youre not getting anything else.

maxim1010
06-14-2012, 02:09 PM
gator go buy an OMC then!

gatormark
06-15-2012, 07:06 AM
gator go buy an OMC then!

And to you sir Im glad I dont do business with you. Great response by the way, put alot of thought into it.

tuna man
06-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Is OMC still in business? just asking?

maxim1010
06-16-2012, 12:27 AM
to gator: Your beating a dead horse pal, there (supposedly) was an issue with the F150(out of warranty) your spouting about. Fix it, done. Can you name ANYTHING mechanical that never broke? No. Your argument holds no water because THE F150 HAS BEEN, IS, AND PROBABLY WILL ALWAYS BE THE SINGLE #1 SELLING MOTOR IN THE WORLD - CAUSE IT WORKS. PERIOD. People are voting with there wallets, not internet spouting like yours. I owned one and LOVED IT, QUIET, GREAT ON GAS, AND BULLET PROOF. OH AND NO NEVER HAD THE "MAJOR ISSUE" your whining about with over 2500 hours on it when I sold boat and it's still going strong. Maybe IF you had a problem and address it nice with a dealer they'd do something IF there was a problem but my guess is your PP attitude turned them off immediately. Hence you got what you deserved.

to mod ; sorry just this guys never ending bashing gets old as he's in a very small minority.

Polar
06-19-2012, 08:14 AM

Split Shot
06-19-2012, 09:40 AM
At what RPM range is it most noticeable?

Great! NOW I'm going to start hearing things! :willynilly

Polar
06-19-2012, 10:10 AM
I.

Split Shot
06-19-2012, 04:21 PM
So you think your riding on a time bomb? Sounds relaxing.

gruntking
06-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Go to the hull truth. Much better info there. Do a search, several pictures, explanations etc.
Polar, time to get it done. $500 is the going rate. Does it sound like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W36GhDLez8c

Polar
06-20-2012, 12:08 PM
slightly, not that loud though

Joey Buttons
04-09-2013, 04:03 PM
I am thinking of replacing mine.

Question - Once replaced is this a permanent fix or something I need to consider every so often?

Quoted me $600 to replace...sound right?

Panhandler80
04-09-2013, 10:16 PM
I read all of this, and frankly... I want those 10 minutes back.

Having read it all, I must say a couple things. One, thanks for this Pat L...

Ok, let me start off by saying this may be my first post on here but I have been reading FS forums for years. I normally stay out of these kinds of threads but lately there seems to be more and more of them and not just regarding Yamaha but all of the manufacturers. I have been in the marine repair industry for 31 years, its all I have done all of my life since I was 15. I was at one time an OMC Master Tech and was and still am one of the first Yamaha Master Techs in the country. Some of you on here know me and know more about my back ground than I need or want to get into. I do not have any affiliation with Yamaha or any other manufacturers. I work at a dealership in central florida. Lets just say I know a lot about Yamaha. I am not trying to bash anyone on here I am just airing my frustration with what many people think or believe should be covered by the manufacturer and for how long. The original post was on a 2005 model engine, 7 yrs old!!! It doesnt matter how many hours are on it its still 7 yrs old. Where in the warranty does it say anything about hours used? Yes, it is a known problem with that model and its called a balanceshaft assembly not a harmonic balancer, they are 2 different things. If you look at your flywheel you will notice a black ring around it that is bonded to it by rubber, this can be considered a harmonic balancer. The balance shaft assembly mounts to the front of the block and is gear driven off of the crank, it spins at twice the crankshaft speed, so if your motor is turning 6000rpms its turning 12000rpms. It helps smooth out the pulses the engine generates as this is a 2.6ltr 4 cylinder motor, thats as big as many V6s so it does have some inherent vibration. Yes, it does have a type of nylon gear that drives off of the metal crank gear, my guess for it being that way is for noise. Many car engines use this type of balance shafts for the same purpose. There are many things on many engines including car engines that are plastic, ever seen a plastic camshaft? They exist and work quite well but this motor nor any of Yamahas larger engines use them. The early style assemblies did have bearing and gear issues and there have been a couple revisions of them and so far the latest one seems to be holding up well, it came out a couple years ago and I have not seen any fail. Like Bill Grannis stated, the dealers were told about this in the annual update seminars and in a tech guide. They were even shown a video with the sound so they knew what the noise was. I still have engines come into my shop making the noise that were just serviced at another dealer and they were making the noise, there are still many techs out there that dont know or dont care about the sound and blow it off as a normal sound, they just service the engine and let it go. Why they do this I dont know, some dealers dont send their techs to training and the manufacturers can only do so much to get the info to the dealer. You would be surprised how many techs never see a bulletin when it comes out. Most times the owner doesnt notice the sound as it starts gradually until the assembly does completely fail and takes out the whole powerhead. Many times its an engine that the customer or a non dealer has been servicing and doesnt know what they are hearing and blow it off as normal, another reason to have your engine serviced by a pro. I have seen them fail in as little as 10 hours to up to 400-500 hours and as bad as just being noisy to complete failure. Now, lets go way back to the late 70s and early 80s, you OMC old timers will remember the V4-V6 motors that had the high ring pistons from 77-79ish. A very well known problem which led to a major powerhead failure usually after a couple years of use. Hmmm, wait the warranty back then was only 1 year, I dont remember any of those failed powerheads out of warranty being covered by OMC. How many of you guys owned an older Mercury and had a stator go bad or a switch box or an OMC have a powerpack go out? Known problem? @!#$ yeah it was. Were they warrantied after that one year, probably not. I still see problems on newer merc and BRPs that were issues over 10 years ago. Now we have engines that are warrantied for 3 years and you can get 3 more years on top of that but still thats not good enough we want them covered forever. Yes for many years Yamaha and I'm sure merc and omc/brp would goodwill some things out of warranty but most of that is gone, times are tight in the corporate world, believe me I know. This assembly used to be over $700 and dropped to around $300 about a year ago. Labor is usually 1.5 to 2.0 hour labor. If the dealer is charging you the old price, find another dealer. To me I have nothing to gain by warrantying one or the customer paying for it, I make the same either way, but I am happy to warranty anything that I believe should be covered and report it to the manufacture as thats how they know there is an issue. OK, Im off my soap box now so flame away, I'm sure there is more I can say to keep you going and if there is anyway I can help anyone let me know but I would rather it be in a PM.

Two... a 2005 motor with 80 hours on it. Whew! You need to get out on the water a little more, man.

Hope you got the motor working and didn't lose too much sleep over something you had to pay for that was out of warranty.

Pat L
04-10-2013, 08:41 AM
I am thinking of replacing mine.

Question - Once replaced is this a permanent fix or something I need to consider every so often?

Quoted me $600 to replace...sound right?

Thats a little on the high side, but it will vary depending on the shop. Usually it will be the price of the assembly and 1.5 to 2 hrs labor. So far I have not seen any of the newer balancers fail so hopefully they got it figured out.

Joey Buttons
04-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Thats a little on the high side, but it will vary depending on the shop. Usually it will be the price of the assembly and 1.5 to 2 hrs labor. So far I have not seen any of the newer balancers fail so hopefully they got it figured out.

Thanks Pat L !

Joey Buttons
04-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Yamaha will not pay for the part or labor if the motor is out of warranty. :(

It was worth a try.

Pat L
04-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Yep, never hurts to ask. What year is your motor?

Joey Buttons
04-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Yep, never hurts to ask. What year is your motor?

2005 with 310 hours.

I bought the boat from the original owner and they might have paid for the part if I was the original owner.

Cut runner
04-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Change them things in 30 minutes.
Line up the dots

Pat L
04-17-2013, 08:06 PM
So you only charge a 1/2 hour labor to do it?

Rsmlitch
04-19-2013, 06:32 PM
there is a major failure issue with the harmonic balancer on these in line four strokes. My buddies shop has done well over a hundred but yamaha is not making it a recall issue, dont know why. If you own one get it to your dealer and tell them you noticed a high pitch whine in the motor, the nylon gears are failing. My motor is a 2005 with only 81 hrs but they failed to warranty it, they know there is an issue so I think I will contact the rep with my complaint.

280 hrs no alarm no warning catastrophic failure. Plastic gear pieces blocked oil flow. New power head 9k

Pat L
04-19-2013, 07:12 PM
You will not get an alarm until its too late when it does go completely and plugs up the oil passages. I guarantee you it was making noise well before it went out, you may not have heard it with the cowling on unless you knew what to listen for.

Rsmlitch
04-19-2013, 07:24 PM
280 hrs power head failed. Plastic gear pieces blocked oil flow. No warning no alarm. New power head.

Cut runner
04-22-2013, 05:51 PM
I have a lot of hours on my motor.. ive changed a couple on them after my warranty was well.

trippe
06-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Wish I would have seen this a few weeks ago, got a low oil pressure alarm at the boat ramp after fishing all day,I immediately loaded the boat on the trailer and took it to the shop. Plastic gears on the balance assembly came apart. 100 hours on the engine( 05 F150 I am the original owner purchased in 07), catastrophic failure, looks like a new power head. I wonder how many Yamaha owners who have had this problem will be repeat Yamaha owners?

reelgrimm
06-23-2013, 11:51 PM
650 hours on my 08 f150.. not 1 problem...

TimR
06-25-2013, 01:25 PM
My F150 had all the symptoms mentioned when I read this post last year, so I took it to my local yamaha shop and sure enough I needed a new power head. Fortunately, I still had a few months left on the extended warranty I got from yamaha when I bought my boat so yamaha covered all parts and labor. IMHO, this thread is very beneficial and I owe a big thanks to the original poster for taking the time to bring the issue to light and FS for hosting this website. I am not a frequent poster but have owned more boats than I care to mention (or remind my wife) in my 30 plus years of fishing here in Florida. Tim

Element
06-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Call me lazy, but there's over 90+ back and forth posts here and the OP is not specific. I am a Yamaha four stroke owner. Can anyone summarize what years of manufacture this is a known issue with?

Pat L
06-25-2013, 06:38 PM
From 2004 to I know 2008 ( I just had to do one) not sure about 2009. I know it was around that time they came out with the latest version and it seems to be holding up, I have never had to replace one of those yet.

Ghost147
06-25-2013, 11:42 PM
Are there any issues with the 2012/13 Yamaha 150hp motors with the harmonic balancer?

Michael

Pat L
06-26-2013, 08:36 AM
No, I have not seen any issues on the 2009 and later. And its not the harmonic balancer, its the balance shaft assembly. The harmonic balancer is incorporated into the flywheel.

Element
06-26-2013, 10:37 AM
From 2004 to I know 2008 ( I just had to do one) not sure about 2009. I know it was around that time they came out with the latest version and it seems to be holding up, I have never had to replace one of those yet.

Thanks Pat I have a 2008. I found a youtube vid online that records the sound in question. I will pop the cowling off and have a listen.

boscoe
06-27-2013, 09:44 AM
I thought the -03-00 balancer was the final solution but for some reason Yam has updated the part to a -04-00 configuration. The F150LA/XA with a production date of 01/13 or later refers.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e266/jethro99/-04-00_zpsda5cdb92.png (http://s41.photobucket.com/user/jethro99/media/-04-00_zpsda5cdb92.png.html)

Pat L
06-27-2013, 01:29 PM
I just put -03 on a couple weeks ago. The LA might have a different mounting boss on it somewhere due to different electronics. I'll have to look at the next one I get in the shop.

boscoe
06-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Do you have a way to check to see if the -03-00 supercedes to the -04-00 within the Yam parts system?

Pat L
06-28-2013, 11:48 AM
I stand corrected. The -03 supersedes to the -04 now. I didn't notice but the one I got in a couple weeks ago was a -04. I didn't notice any obvious difference.